Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If JW says it works, it's because he has shot LOTS of animals with it. He has literally killed thousands.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think what Mr. Barsness says is very well put-there are better choices for deer sized game than Barnes especially if you expect (or need) a dramatic result. That being said, Barnes kill game very well and do less damage to meat than more fragile bullets or even a medium tough bullet such as a Partition. And anytime that you need to go through an animal at a severe angle (such as hip to shoulder) it helps to have a better penetrator.

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by davidlea
I think what Mr. Barsness says is very well put-there are better choices for deer sized game than Barnes especially if you expect (or need) a dramatic result. That being said, Barnes kill game very well and do less damage to meat than more fragile bullets or even a medium tough bullet such as a Partition. And anytime that you need to go through an animal at a severe angle (such as hip to shoulder) it helps to have a better penetrator.

Well, I do like two holes for trailing.....and if the bullet fragments on the way through (Partition, Interlock, etc) and makes that trailing job easier, I'm all for that in our thickets.

All American

All the time
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Had this conversation with a mechanic friend of mine, when he asked why I "wasted" so much meat with my shots on deer.

"Bryan, if I put a round through the engine block, the heart of a car, it's dead, but it'll go a ways, right?"

"Yeah, likely."

"And, if I put one through the radiator, it'll go a ways, too, right?"

"Yeah."

"Well, how far is it going to go, if I blow out the front axle, and tear up the front suspension?"

"Nowhere."

Right.......................

Break stuff, at the shot.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've killed 10 african plainsgame with the TSX and my experience, except for one, is all bang-flop. These were done with a 140gr 7mm STW at 3395 fps MV and a 168gr in a 300WSM at 3130 fps. Mt Reedbuck, multiple Springboks, Blesboks, Hartebeest, Fallow Deer, Wildebeest, Impala. The only one that ran was the heart/lung shot on the Brindled Gnu. All the others instantly fell over and wiggled. Amazing performance, in my experience.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Break stuff, at the shot.

You learn that early in the Pacific Northwest. Come trudge around in the Cold Jungle and find out why smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very true the frangible will drop them quicker. But even the examples given it is about a ten yard difference.

The Barnes has never given me a major mystery experience, other bullets have. Minor mystery was a Springbok we found parts but no animal. I shot the wrong one and we found it about 30yds away in the wrong direction.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hawk Driver,

My experience is pretty limited, but we took two Pronghorns with my .257 Wby and 80gr TTSXs loaded to 3715 fps a couple of weeks ago. Mine was the first one. DRT from a neck shot at 275 yards. 'course that's what you would expect from a neck shot. Exit wound was about 2". Partner took three shots at his. First one was at a running 'lope and hit him too far back. Went in in front of hip and exited opposite side close to tailbone. Exit wound was probably the size of a softball. Next shot finished him and it was high through the lungs. Here's how it looked:

[Linked Image]

I think with enough velocity and bone a TTSX is probably ok but certainly not required for Pronghorn. I woulda used something else but fond a really accurate load with them and wanted to see how they would do. Still wanna try some on pigs ...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barnes has always stated "go one or two steps down in bullet than normal". 100 gr. BT, PT, Horn inter....etc 87 gr. in Barnes is about right.

Kevin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ingwe
On the good side ( haven't figured this one out yet...)the Bloodshot meat only has layers of blood in the mucous membranes, which can be easily peeled off, very little "bloodshot" in the meat per se... Ingwe

Thank you for this confirmation, Ingwe. My _very_ minimal experience has confirmed this. I shot an antlered whitetail doe earlier this year @ 82 paces with my 7rm running a 140 x at 3080. Gravity took care of the rest (carefully avoiding cliches for JB - <g>)

My considerably experienced partner, who has never shot anything but a 160 partition in his 7rm, immediately called the tsx a meat spoiler. But when the final autopsy was done, blood was pretty much all in the membrane and washed off after a brief scrub with a towel. My partner still swears that he won't hunt with me again until I switch to a partition so he bought me a box of 160's.

So, I've got a box of 160 accubonds (that I bought) and the gifted 160 partitions waiting for lift off. Can't switch to a berger because elk is usually in the offing as well.

When you get the membrane bloodshot x thing figured out please let us know.

Aleth

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The tipped tripple shocks will give you the performance that you are used to seeing with cup and core bullets...massive damage. You will usually through away both shoulders...not meat on them anyway.

Last speed goat I shot was at 430 yards with a 223 using a 55g Soft point with a muzzle velocity of 3250fps, he dropped like a toilet seat...behind the shoulder shot. We were shooting p.dogs and had tags. I had left my red wind flag out when we moved the truck forward, and he walked out smelling it. I used that trick on several other occasions.

If you have not had antelope jerky, you are missing a real treat.
A guy needs about 80 lbs of antelolpe jerky to get him through the winter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Personally I can't fathom shooting lowly deer and pronghorns (on purpose) with $37 a box (per 50) Barnes TSX's... I've certainly done it because I was carrying a rifle so-stoked for elk season, but I can't see any other reason as a matter of choice. Deer, antelope, black bear just aren't that tough and, IME, good old cup and core bullets do a better job of terminating them decisively.

I've used X's, TSX's, TTSX's and Failsafe's on antelope, whitetail deer, mule deer and elk. The true believers are entitled to their opinions but I've seen more problems than positive performance with them, and that's not conjecture...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JW,

Thanks for that info. Have tried the 100 Hornady in the .257 Wby. and it works quite well, but I may have to drop down yet another weight!

That has been my experience as well with the 257 Wby and the 100gr Hornady. Incredible performance on deer & hogs. I think I'm up to like 42/44 DRTs on deer. John, I'm getting ready to go and whack a Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas at my friend's ranch. Going to take 180gr TSXs @ 3000 fps out of my 300 H&H. Will report back on results. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It'll kill an oryx, no doubt.

I killed a scimitar-horned about 4 years ago with my 9.3 BS wildcat and the 250 TSX at about 2650 fps. (The 9.3 BS is the .350 Remington Magnum necked up .008". It duplicates the 9.3x62 in a short case, which means nothing much at all, like most wildcats.) Range was 80 yards and the first shot went just behind the shoulder, broadside. The oryx staggered and almost went down, then got it's stuff together and started to walk off, so I shot it again, basically in the same place. It took off running and disappeared into the semi-open thornbrush.

Trailing it up wasn't tough. Big blood trail. It went about 80 yards and ran into a mesquite and keeled over, obviously running blind, breaking one horn off.

It's an example of one so obviously not valid. And oryx are notoriously hard to kill. The meat damage was minimal, and the meat was also wonderful! Just like gemsbok, as far as I could tell.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IF there was something that killed better than an X,I'd be all over it.

To date,there is not...though I fling other offerings now and again,for the not so gentle reminder..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I blew an easy shot last year on a smallish whitetail using an 85 grain TSX in a 6mm Remington, too high and too far back missing the spine. I'm primarily a meat hunter and a follow up shot placed above the heart dropped the animal quickly. I didn't loose much meat because of the first poor shot which is why I switched to the TSX. Previous experience with 100 grain GameKings convinced me that I stood to loose a lot of meat on a blown shot. Something to consider. Note that this is open country and a follow up shot is normally available. A GameKing would probably have caused enough damage to at least shock the spine (along with ruining a good part of the best meat on the animal) and put the deer down.

When properly placed deer usually go 20 or 30 yards further before dropping, in my experience, no more than about 60 total, compared to the same placement with a 100 grain GameKing which isn't an issue in croplands. There's no more meat loss with the GameKings if it goes where I intend but I admit that I can still screw up once in a while. It took three seasons after switching to the TSX but there it is.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunning for the spine is a new one on me. I shoot meat in the head,though boolit selection is moot in the CNS application.

[Linked Image]

I'd bet the farm on the .243" 85xX holding it's end up on any situation. BT/DT.................(lots)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
All I am doing here is relate my experiences with various bullets. I've seen around 150 animals taken with TSX's, and my statements that it sometimes doesn't kill as quickly as wider-expanding lead cores are based on that experience.

Well, your experience with the TSX only trumps mine by about tenfold with change left over. grin

But like I said, in my limited experience with the 7mm and .30 cal. (mostly .30 cal) the results have been good so far. I was once going to try them in a .243 but decided against it for the reasons brought up in this thread. More than anything else, though, the main reason I use the TSX/TTSX is the boringly outstanding accuracy I get with them.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, reading that this morning it sounds sorta like that. I aim above the heart which gives me some leeway either way but not THAT much. Perils of late nite posting.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man this thread now has me thinking. I've been switching everything to the TSX/TTSX including my 338 which I developed a hell of a load with the 210TSX2930 I plan to use on leopard and PG. Almost booked for 2012 either with my old standby John Sharp or Chifuti. I'm thinking you would not choose the 210 TSX on the cat? jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,987
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.