Page 62 of 66 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wildswalker
Boondock, USA.

Can't you read?

Same "unit" I'm sitting in now.....though, we really don't have "units" per se.

Guessin' you missed where I said my AO was none of your damn business?!?

Some things never change, like your frequent and unrelenting idiocy, for example.

Nor do you disappoint us by letting that which matters most solidly sink in.

A laughing stock you are, and a safe bet you'll make an internet career of it.

Continue in your bliss poser, you are golden, it'll never happen to you......

He who can't make his point without personal insults, likely has a very weak point. smile

Gonna speculate, then, that you gets lots of tags and filling them is near-trivially easy. That is most certainly pertinant to the discussion.

If I'm wrong, correct me- with your state, and general area of your hunting.

Otherwise, if I'm right (bet I am), you are extrapolating incorrectly.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
JObama....

You are trying to make your weak point stronger, and cover up the fact that you simply can't hunt.

Clearly evident to all of us who CAN hunt, and who watch you POSE........

Can't lay claim myself to the "difficulty" of killing animals that you seem to conjure up for yourself...because for me, it's ALWAYS been easy, anywhere I hunt.

If that somehow offends you, then, I just don't give a chit.......

The fact that the concept escapes you of gun safety while practicing common sense and visa versa, is telling, as the evidence leaks from your flapping yap at every turn you take.

This childish pissing match you are trying to create to bolster the "difficulty" of your hunt, and I guess by default make mine appear "easy", is going to get you nowhere regarding carrying a rifle in search of a single animal in a single day's time.

Or, in the single instant in time that your weapon unpredictably discharges and splatters your brain matter all over the underbrush........

My 9 year old kid killed his first animal on a one day only hunt that HE led me on, and did it cold chamber......THAT JeffyO trumps anything you can possibly muster in your lame defense of your ample stupidity.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JObama....

You are trying to make your weak point stronger, and cover up the fact that you simply can't hunt.

Can't lay claim myself to the "difficulty" of killing animals that you seem to conjure up for yourself...because for me, it's ALWAYS been easy, anywhere I hunt.

The fact that the concept escapes you of gun safety while practicing common sense and visa versa, is telling, as the evidence leaks from your flapping yap at every turn you take.

This childish pissing match you are trying to create to bolster the "difficulty" of your hunt, and I guess by default make mine appear "easy", is going to get you nowhere regarding carrying a rifle in search of a single animal in a single day's time.

Or, in the single instant in time that your weapon unpredictably discharges and splatters your brain matter all over the underbrush........

My 9 year old kid killed his first animal on a one day only hunt that HE led me on, and did it cold chamber......THAT JeffyO trumps anything you can possibly muster in your lame defense of your ample stupidity.

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps you could be a little more obtuse, arrogant and use more foul language to make your point? Doesn't sound like you're really getting into it.....remember, it's the internet.

All American

All the time
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Your continued avoidance of the question just shows how right I am...

Gun safety is between the ears, Wildswalker. A guy can hunt safely with a round in the chamber. In fact... most of us do just that.

How about you post a link to a hunter's safety course that says people should hunt empty-chamber? I had to take the Oregon course last year to hunt in Colorado... it was never mentioned once.

Look at this.

"Total number of deaths caused by motor vehicle accidents in 2005: 45,343

Odds of Death Caused By Motor vehicle accidentsin 1 year: 1/6,539

Odds of Death Caused By Motor vehicle accidents in a lifetime: 1/84"

You have a 1 in 84 chance of being killed in a car accident in your lifetime. WOW!

You want to reduce your odds of getting kilt, start there.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Stan V
JObama....

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps you could be a little more obtuse, arrogant and use more foul language to make your point? Doesn't sound like you're really getting into it.....remember, it's the internet.

Okay....[bleep] you, Stanley.

That better..??

[Linked Image]
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You're famous for comparing apples to oranges to bolster a weak point.

Car wrecks have zero to do with gun safety, and if you were anything remotely close to reasonably witted, you'd know that.

Simple fact Jeff, a cold chamber IS safer than a hot one, and I'm sure you've heard that before...at least once.

Tough for ya isn't it, being out hunted by a 9 year old.......

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Any one hunt cold in a single shot? I hunt hot as well in my Ruger No.1s. However, I also know how to check my safety. If it's not safe with the safety, it has no business being out on the hunt in the first place.

Also when my rifle isn't in my hands, it's slung but end up (muzzle down). Ever tried bring the rifle to a shooting position from the typical muzzle up slung position in comparison to muzzle down? In bear country, you'll quickly see which is quicker.

I'm sure this will be ridiculously and redundantly dissected into a "what if" and about how dangerous it is for the extreme tiny moment I'm not checking the safety, and a bush reaches in and cleverly toggles off the safety and deliberately slips it's self into the trigger guard without myself being aware to any degree of this activity.

Cold chamber hunting isn't taught at the hunters education in CO.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Gonna speculate, then, that you gets lots of tags and filling them is near-trivially easy. That is most certainly pertinant to the discussion.

I've stayed out of things, but since you want to make tags an issue...

The NH deer herd sucks. That's a fact. This year, I'm thinking due to the HUGE acorn crop, scouting indicates things are going to be worse than normal.

All of that aside, my 7600 will be riding a cold chamber. I'm thinking I can work the slide if an opportunity comes up. BTW, the evergreen hummocks and swamps I hunt are just as thick as anything you've posted up. Funny thing, around here that's where we find deer wink .

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The International Hunters Education Association does not even teach "cold chamber hunting"
It teaches that you should treat every gun with the respect that is a loaded gun

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Im not saying theres anything wrong with unting with a cold chamber I even condone it when kids are involved but some will call you irresponsible for doing it on here

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cmg
Originally Posted by gmack
Long thread and I don't know if it's been asked in a while but..... How do the cold carry folks hunt with a muzzleloader?

Do they view that type of arm inherently more dangerous? I'm not being facecious.. I'd like an answer.

Both my #11 percussion cap inline and flinter would be difficult to get ready without at least taking my eyes off the game.

I believe the guys when they say they can "hunt" cold but to me it's more of a personal preference, this from a person who worked in industrial safety for 10 years, prevention, investigation and reporting.

If you "can" take the safer route, you are dense not to.

This from a person who makes a living teaching wildlife management and hunting practise to forestry students and guides in Germany and Alaska.

Translation of the last sentence - whenever I work whereever, my counterparts and I are handling rifles. I cringe at the thought of all those chambers hot...

If you can hunt (not transporting,"handling", etc.) hot with the an extremely high probability (.... not even mentioned in hunter education classes) of not having an AD incident then it is Safe!

But, how can I argue with Safererererer.

I cringe at the thought of anyone handling a gun, they "think" is unloaded, in an unsafe manner.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SUPERDIESEL1
Any one hunt cold in a single shot? I hunt hot as well in my Ruger No.1s. However, I also know how to check my safety. If it's not safe with the safety, it has no business being out on the hunt in the first place.

I carry my #1s empty nearly all the time. When I begin the stalk, that's when one goes in the pipe. Last moose I shot with a #1 had us looking each other in the eye while I "thunked" one in the tube. 'Course, at under 50 yards, I knew I had plenty of time to beat him even if he made a run for it.

I think more people would choose otherwise if they studied the mechanics of their weapons and knew what their safeties did - or didn't do. Simply blocking the trigger - as many "safeties" do- is often relatively meaningless.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
+1, especially with the No. 1.

Some European single-shots, though, have a "safety" that actually cocks the rifle. It can't go bang unless the safety is pushed forward, which is very handy. My Merkel .308 is like this. You could beat on the rifle with a big hammer and it would never go off.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

I think more people would choose otherwise if they studied the mechanics of their weapons and knew what their safeties did - or didn't do. Simply blocking the trigger - as many "safeties" do- is often relatively meaningless.

Let me get this correct. Are you saying the safeties on firearms don't make them safe? There is legal implications and liabilities going with the safeties that are installed on modern firearms. If your stating that there not up to task, this needs to be brought up and the aspects of it with viewable to the public documentation. I worked for a Master Gunsmith who was the owner of Front range Gunsmithing from 76'-89'. I know what the safeties are about and there workings. That is why I say what I said about having them in the field (they have no business there if it's compromised). Just want to clear this up.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Technical mountain climbers don't use 1/4" hardware store nylon braid for safety line, yet that would probably be a safer proposition than to trust the safety systems often found on many weapons. Don't pretend that years of gunsmithing or whatever somehow means others shouldn't learn about what it is that they trust their safety to. There is a reason why every hunter/gun safety training program in the country emphasizes the idea of never pointing a weapon at anything you would not be willing to shoot.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Never meant for you to interpret it the way you did about muzzle direction or obvious firearm safety. This is a given, however I'm still surprised to see the lack of safety practiced every now and then. Should be common sense, but,,,.

There's no true HARD evidence to prove to me it's an unsafe practice and that you shouldn't carry hot when it's not a clear and present danger to others when hunting (walking or sitting looking for game of course).

Interpretation can be taken many different ways from a statement. You can never cover all aspects of how it will be taken by others unfortunately.

On another note: Your very fortunate in my eyes to live in the place you do klikitarik. Not many places like it left.

Last edited by SUPERDIESEL1; 10/28/09.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cmg
Long thread and I don't know if it's been asked in a while but..... How do the cold carry folks hunt with a muzzleloader?

Do they view that type of arm inherently more dangerous? I'm not being facecious.. I'd like an answer.

Both my #11 percussion cap inline and flinter would be difficult to get ready without at least taking my eyes off the game.

I believe the guys when they say they can "hunt" cold but to me it's more of a personal preference, this from a person who worked in industrial safety for 10 years, prevention, investigation and reporting.

If you "can" take the safer route, you are dense not to.

This from a person who makes a living teaching wildlife management and hunting practise to forestry students and guides in Germany and Alaska.

Translation of the last sentence - whenever I work whereever, my counterparts and I are handling rifles. I cringe at the thought of all those chambers hot...

If you can hunt (not transporting,"handling", etc.) hot with the an extremely high probability (.... not even mentioned in hunter education classes) of not having an AD incident then it is Safe!

But, how can I argue with Safererererer.

I cringe at the thought of anyone handling a gun, they "think" is unloaded, in an unsafe manner.

Ayup.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Technical mountain climbers don't use 1/4" hardware store nylon braid for safety line, yet that would probably be a safer proposition than to trust the safety systems often found on many weapons. Don't pretend that years of gunsmithing or whatever somehow means others shouldn't learn about what it is that they trust their safety to. There is a reason why every hunter/gun safety training program in the country emphasizes the idea of never pointing a weapon at anything you would not be willing to shoot.

On that note, I remember well the first time I climbed at Joshua Tree. The bolted climbs there were put up under the American aesthetic, which is bottom-up rather than on rappel like the Euros do it. So, every bolt was put in by a guy on a stance, not clipped to anything, scary far above the last bolt, using an impact hammer an expansion bolts... As you can imagine, the bolts are few and far between! To your point, Klik, they often WERE manky old 1/4" hardware-store crap, too.

In an area like Smith Rocks, where climbs were put up under the Euro aesthetic, there's a bolt like every 8 feet, and they are usually these beautiful, 3/8 or 1/2" stainless climbing-specific bolts...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not saying what you should or should not do. All I'm saying is that the safety often isn't. (Kind of got that point driven home to the obvious hypocritical point in teaching hunter safety for some years.) And, as many have pointed out, hunting empty-chamber is obviously a safer way; not that it is always necessary perhaps, but always safer than not. Doesn't matter one way or the other as long as one can be safe. I will argue that that is important. And believe me, though I don't invite SAR opportunities, I hardly shrink from danger where I live.

Yes, Diesel, Klikitarik is a fine place.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
When guns are outlawed, only lynx will have guns.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 62 of 66 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (2500HD, 1234, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,942
Posts18,519,095
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.