Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
I stated simply and because it is a fact:

No [bleep] Remmie 308's are long throated,which in turn do bleed pressure...which in turn will skew the correct size of your boot despite that number upsetting your frailties. I do not guess.

Not all of the Remmy's I measured had excessively long throats. A long throat does lower velocity but it doesn't necessarily mean that you can acheive higher velocities than shorter throated rifles without raising pressures..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by Brad
Shane, you seem to push stuff a bit hard, moly or no. Matters not, as it's your rifle and you have only yourself to please. But I wouldn't get too defensive about it... you're likely on somewhat thin ice with some of your loads, least from a SAAMI perspective...

Brad,

All of my 30-06 and 308 loads are running around 60-62K pressure per QL pressure/velocity correlations. not excess at all, just maximizing case volumes with slowish powders.

Running this RL17 is really the only venture where I'm finding velocity beyond the normal expectations, without seeing any pressure signs. It would seem an anomoly to me if others were not getting the same results. The BR community was the first place I read about the unique properties and results based on actually shooting the stuff.

So, I'm really not pioneering anything. I saw something that looked good and gave it a whirl. My results are posted for whoever might find them interesting or useful.

Getting some blowback on this forum was expected.

Please keep posting your findings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Douche Adair,

Despite your drooling on the video and getting horned up on the Moose pics,you still miss the most glaring obvious...that were a 120TSX.

Keep your impressive record of striking out going and really swing for the fence next time.

Laffin'..............

REALLY!!! You mean the AMAX isn't good enough for Moose?

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...that were a 120TSX.

I think you mean..... That WAS a 120TSX.

Or do you think its cute coming off a like a fuggin retard with the way you "Command" the English Language.

I work with an actual Chiink that speaks English better than you frown

I'm Irish...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ALL Remmie 308 boltguns,wear long throats. ALL.

Of course that long throat,coupled with their generous bores,does in fact bleed speed...especially when moly is in the fray. This I mentioned concisely,none of which is a guess.

To make LIKE pressures,of a rifle seperate these shortcomings,one needs to ADD propellant to the equation to match like speeds.

You ain't very bright.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Well, mine kisses 208s at 3.00", and 200ABs at 2.95".

I know I'm getting at least .150" running start into the lands with mag-length ammo. That does lower pressure. it's a common thing, and is a big reason why book loads are often 100-200 fps slower than they "should" be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Thinking",only gets you in trouble.

I've no doubt the ease in which I command the English language,do in fact send shivers down your spine. I'm rather adept in waxing eloquent,coining phraseology or in the hearty embrace of a lexicon that escapes your very modest faculties.

Deviate as you please and I'll happily use common sense at your expense...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ALL Remmie 308 boltguns,wear long throats. ALL.

Wrong. Of course I come by this by having actually measured them not by just assuming I know it all like you.

To make LIKE pressures,of a rifle seperate these shortcomings,one needs to ADD propellant to the equation to match like speeds.

You're assumption here that just because you are matching speeds by adding powder to the rifle with a longer chamber you are also matching pressures, this is not true.................................DJ

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I've no doubt that the ease with in which I command the English language, does in fact send shivers down your spine.

I'm rather adept in waxing eloquent, coining phraseology, or in the hearty embrace of a lexicon that escapes your very modest faculties. confused

Deviate as you please and I'll happily use common sense at your expense...................

laugh

Last edited by BMT; 10/31/09.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Douche Adair,

Despite your drooling on the video and getting horned up on the Moose pics,you still miss the most glaring obvious...that were a 120TSX.

Keep your impressive record of striking out going and really swing for the fence next time.

Laffin'..............

REALLY!!! You mean the AMAX isn't good enough for Moose?

I love how you change the subject.... Or try too.

You ever smoke anything besides a Sitka with an AMAX???

You never did want to argue about the 53 critters I shot with Partitions either.

You have fun spewing your bullshit, I gotta go hunting in the morning.

I'm Irish...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are full of [bleep] and talking out your azz.

I'm all ears on how you can get speed,less pressure.

This WILL be good...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never shot a Moose with an A-Max,so couldn't quantify that firsthand accounting.

Extrapolating in kind,do I think a 22" Ti 7-08 with that 162 at 2700fps initial launch,would knock the wiggle out of a Moose? I'd state less reservation,that they'd tug lungs out of one easily,assuming you didn't ask it to break a shoulder enroute or similar.

Yes,I've seen shot Critters other than Bucks,with A-Max. Hardly invented it either.

I've killed over 53 Critters better than 200lbs apiece,with a 22lr...but I'd be slow to endorse same for utility.............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I'm saying is that if you have a rifle with say a rough bore, fat chamber, and long throat you will have to add more powder to achieve a given velocity than you will compared to a rifle with a tight chamber, smooth bore and tight throat.

What a lot of people miss is that their rifle with a rough bore, fat chamber and long throat probably isn't going to be able to acheive the same velocities within pressure limits as the better barrel. Just because you load to the same velocity doesn't mean you are doing so at the same pressure.....................DJ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drive moly and rock on.

That ain't a guess................

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Originally Posted By: Jeff_O
Better than WHAT, BMT?

The 7-08 . . . . . . grin

BMT

haha best joke i herd all day!!!

Last edited by quackquackbang; 11/01/09.

"I hump the wild to take it all in, there is no bag limit on happiness".
~ Ted Nugent
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.358 Win is the answer.

Uh... what was the question?

You can't make speed without pressure, but you can make pressure without speed. Just sayin'.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
.358 Win is the answer.

Uh... what was the question?

You can't make speed without pressure, but you can make pressure without speed. Just sayin'.

Careful ,Jeff... smile (And this is not meant confrontationally).....Light Magnum and High Energy Ammo manage it....and you can increase speed at permissible pressure with the correct combo of good barrel,proper throating,correct barrel dimension,the right bullet,etc.It all has to do with diminishing,within limits,the resistance the bullet encounters in passage down the bore.Yes, it takes pressure for sure to make a bullet go fast...

But certain small factors accumulated in the aggragate,can result in two rifles giving significantly different velocities at the same pressures, or close enough that you won't blow yourself up grin

Tellya what,as an experiment....slug the factory barrel on your Sendero 300 win mag;we can see what it measures for comparison later;do load workup,chronograph, etc.Then let the throat out so that you can seat the 180 even with the base of the neck,in proper relation to the lands(your Remington action is long enough).Do your load workup again,and see where you are.

Then...replace the factory barrel with a Krieger stainless,same length,but have them cut it with a 309 groove diameter(yes it will still shoot) smile....................have it throated "long";do load work up and we will talk as you go through it.I guaranty you will find out some stuff you didn't know before about the 300 WM.... whistle

And before you ask the answer is "yes" I have done all of the above,several times over,in calibers from 270 to 375H&H;years ago.Results are surprising...remember that the entire barrel is the "combustion chamber"....this kinda stuff will convince you that there are such things as "slow" barrels and "fast" barrels.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/01/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heads off, Bob, for all the work. Thank you also for so freely sharing your results and experience.

I am sure, though, you are the first to admit - it takes a bit of a looney to do all of the above to, and I

find out some stuff you didn't know before about the 300 WM....

Last edited by cmg; 11/01/09.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
cmg: I am not as "looney" as I used to be.....all that work took time and expense,and a lot of expensive gunsmithing.I was very curious about such things at the time and wanted to find out what was BS and what was "true"within certain parameters and the means at my disposal.

But today,when I hit a "ceiling" with a rifle,and velocity is sub-par,I have a pretty fair handle on what is going on.... smile

Sometimes...... grin There are actually more questions than answers,generally.................

And so "yes" I agree with PWC when he says that throat dimensions and configuration can make a difference in delivered velocity,rifle to rifle.And by using moly he is decreasing resistance to passage of the bullet down the bore....Bore dimension can matter,too,as can quality of bore finish.....and when you add everything up, in the aggragate,you can end up with rifles that can take heavier charges,safely,and deliver more velocity.At a minimum,such rifles can be less"touchy" as you approach a maximimum,safe load.BT/DT smile

The one question remains...what barrels,what materials,and internal bore dimensions,number of lands,groove diameters,etc.(?)

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/01/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BMT

I've no doubt that the ease with in which I command the English language, does in fact send shivers down your spine.

I'm rather adept in waxing eloquent, coining phraseology, or in the hearty embrace of a lexicon that escapes your very modest faculties. confused

laugh

Now that is FUNNY!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,696
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.