Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gun_Shy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Any suggestions on where to find the following parts for a Savage model 1907 (s/n 94737, early 1907-13-2)?

Oddly, this pistol does not have the "SAVAGE" inscription on the left side and has inspector mark R.

extractor (ejector)
extractor spring
trigger lock (trigger bar)
magazine release spring
front sight
loaded chamber indicator

Other than the sight and loaded chamber indicator, Numrich lists all of these (although the trigger lock is listed only for the model 1917), but has only the springs in stock.

Thanks,

Bill

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Bill -

Send me a PM and I can fix you up with all but the sight and indicator.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill, you lucked out! Jim will fix you up. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Gun_Shy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks -- finding parts for these old beauties is getting harder and harder.
grin
Bill

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brother Jim beat me to it. Guess I don't skulk about 24H often enough.

Parts hard to find? I have boxes of 'em smile ... except for the indicators - I keep all of them when they rarely come along. Gun Shy, You need a front sight still?

Dave K.

"Too often people do not recognize Opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like Work." Thomas Alva Edison
IC B2

Gun_Shy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yep, I still need a front sight. Still need an ejector/extractor, too.

How are you fixed with model 1915 parts? I have a disassembled model 1915 ("box o' parts") coming that I am going to restore to life. I know most of the parts are present, but I have no doubt one or more internal parts are missing.

Someone should make replica indicators -- they break easily and about half the Savage pistols I have seen that originally came with them are either missing them or have the arm broken off, leaving just the clip. There's not much to them -- they only cost 25 cents back in the day (the same day the pistol cost $16 new, of course)!
grin
Bill

Originally Posted by Savage1907
Brother Jim beat me to it. Guess I don't skulk about 24H often enough.

Parts hard to find? I have boxes of 'em smile ... except for the indicators - I keep all of them when they rarely come along. Gun Shy, You need a front sight still?

Dave K.

K
K
Newbie here looking for a front sight for a 1907 savage... mine fell off over the weekend when I was shooting it.....

P
P
Greetings

I�m looking for an extractor for a Savage 1907 pistol

Would anyone happen to have one?

Thanks

Roger
prairiedawgshootermsn.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the ``excellent`` cond slide off Numrichs, cripes, never seen something so grey in my entire life, hate to see their N.I.B.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Are these really safe to shoot w/out the chamber indicator?

It looks to me like an awful lot of case is exposed otherwise, though I don't know how much the indicator supports the case.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indicator has nothing to do with supporting the case.. it's perfectly safe.

Gun_Shy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes.

Savage only used the loaded chamber indicator for a few years (about 1913-1917), but continued to use remaining barrels and slides, fully or partially cut for the indicator, on new pistols for several more years. I think Brower's book has examples of cut barrels as late as 1919 or 1920.

There would have to be a pretty catastrophic rupture of a shell case to involve the enlarged opening at the base of the barrel, and even then the exposed area is small. One might as well be concerned that the cuts into the barrel to hold the indicator and the cuts into the slide so it fits over the indicator weaken them and so increase the potential that they will rupture. These are not known problems.

In any case, I wouldn't want to rely on the thin metal of the indicator for protection if there were a catastrophic shell casing failure. If it had any effect, it would be more likely to bend outward and direct blast and debris back at the shooter.

Bill

Originally Posted by Grendl
Are these really safe to shoot w/out the chamber indicator?

It looks to me like an awful lot of case is exposed otherwise, though I don't know how much the indicator supports the case.

Thanks guys. I'm addicted to these beauties, but passed on one I saw one for sale recently ($150) when I noted how much of the case was exposed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a few parts that I would like to pass onto someone who is aggregating spare parts. Should have a pic of the parts in an older thread

T
T
I am interested in knowing of people who may have parts for sale. Of immediate concern is I need a Firing Pin Retainer. Mine has a hairline crack in it.

Gun_Shy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
OK -- I will see if I can finese the rules against posts concerning active auctions. There is a Savage firing pin retainer currently on auction on a well-known firearms auction site that does not have the initials "AA" and has a name sometimes confused with the firearms forum site "GunBoard". This retainer has cycled through the auctions a number of times already (literally for months), has no bids currently, ends on 7/13, and has an opening bid of $10. You may find it if you search using the terms "Savage" "1910" and "firing pin retainer". I've bought Savage parts from the seller before and have had only positive experiences.

OK -- I hope I am vague enough to remain in compliance with the rules and specific enough that you can find the auction.

As far as I know, all firing pin retainers are interchangable, regardless of model or caliber. I used one from an m1917 to replace the original one that broke - frown - on my early (3-digit s/n) m1907.

Bill

Originally Posted by TedPark
I am interested in knowing of people who may have parts for sale. Of immediate concern is I need a Firing Pin Retainer. Mine has a hairline crack in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why didn't you just send him a private message? Would have been a lot simpler and could have been much more to the point.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

T
T
Originally Posted by Gun_Shy

I hope I am vague enough to remain in compliance with the rules and specific enough that you can find the auction.

HA! Got it on first try!! Thanks!!!
How did you know about this. Amazing.
I'm still interested in finding a
reliable source for future parts needs.

BTW - my S/N is in mid 800's. I've
had it only a couple of months. Anything
else you know in terms of advice or
other words of wisdom on this little guy
are always appreciated.

Gun_Shy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ted,

Our pistols are siblings! My early m1907 is #857, so near yours.

I've found no reliable source for parts. Numrich (http://www.gunpartscorp.com) has some, but their classification system for Savage automatics is all screwed up so can be a crap shoot if you need a specific version of a part. Other parts dealers advertise some parts, but there is the same problem with being able to tell if the part they have is the version you need. You need to become knowledgable about exactly what parts are appropriate, since you cannot rely on the seller knowing or being correct. For example, Numrich lists 5 versions of Savage automatics: the models 1904, 1907, 1908, 1910, and 1917; other sources may list additional models (1905, 1909, 1912, etc). However, according to Savage it only made three versions: the models 1907, 1915, and 1917. Numrich parts diagrams are either of the m1917 or the early (pre-1912) m1907, so are incorrect for most versions of the m1907 and don't even address the m1915 (which Numrich includes as a variation of the model 1910).

I find regularly checking GunBroker and Auction Arms auctions for parts is useful, but, again, you can't rely on the seller to correctly list them (as in the case of the "model 1910" firing pin retainer). You can also look for "parts guns" -- unfortunately, I've ended up restoring every parts gun I've bought, so for me they just lead to more parts searches, but you may be more disciplined.

The good news is that Savage pistols have relatively few parts, those parts don't often break, and, depending on the model and version of the pistol, most parts are easily interchangable with other models and versions. The bad news is that parts interchangability for pistols made 1908-1911 is much more limited; there were a lot of design changes in 1912.

If you don't have Bailey Brower's 2008 book Savage Pistols you should look for a copy. It is the only in-print book on Savage pistols and has a lot of information and wonderful color photos. While the list price is $40 or $50, I've seen new copies with heavy discounts in the last 6 months or so. Amazon may also have used copies. Even better books for detailed technical information are James Carr's 1967 book Savage Automatic Pistols and Daniel K Stern's 1967 10 Shots Quick: The Fascinating Story of the Savage Pocket Automatics. Unfortunately, both of these are long out of print and used copies are very expensive. I have run across electronic copies of both.

Dave and Jim Koch, members of this forum, are Savage pistol experts and sometimes have parts for sale. Dave Koch used to have a Savage pistol website with a wealth of good information (it was my first source for reliable Savage information, and led to buying my first Savage pistol, which led to another, and another ...), but it has unfortunately shut down. He has the earliest known Savage m1907, s/n 2 (a museum in Australia claims to have s/n 1, but the pistol seems to be a renumbered later version m1907, which the museum disputes).

You may know this, but your m1907 is from 1908, the first year of production. Using the standard classification system developed by Carr, it is called a model 1907-08, and it is the first of some 14 .32 m1907 variations, made 1908-1920. Fewer than 3,000 of the m1907-08 were made.

Just a warning -- these are addictive pistols. Once you have one, you need another version of the m1907 (how about the .32 m1907-13-3 "miltary" version, which the French Army used in WWI?), and, of course, one of each model, and both .32 and .380 versions, and there is always the ultimate, one of the several hundred prototypes of the .45 Savage, one of only two finalists in the Army 1911 trials for a new automatic pistol, losing to what became the Colt 1911. (Interested? -- one is on GunBroker right now, currently listed at just under $17,000, from an opening bid of $1!)

Bill

Originally Posted by TedPark

HA! Got it on first try!! Thanks!!! How did you know about this. Amazing. I'm still interested in finding a reliable source for future parts needs.

BTW - my S/N is in mid 800's. I've had it only a couple of months. Anything else you know in terms of advice or other words of wisdom on this little guy are always appreciated.

Last edited by Gun_Shy; 07/10/10. Reason: correction
T
T
Thanks for the quick reply and all the info.

Check out this site from Belgium for an awesome free eBook:

http://www.hlebooks.com/ebook/ebook1.htm

I also like this website:

http://www.vintagepistols.com/1907/index.html

He has the electronic copy of "It Banishes Fear".

I have the Baily Brower book - just got it a couple of days ago - beautiful.

I read a copy of Stern's book - local large county library was able to borrow me a copy on interlibary loan. I'm still looking for Carr's book (and so is library).

My gun was dirty and tarnished when I got it. Neither the dealer nor myself knew exactly what was underneath. I took it apart down to every last part (see below) and cleaned and polished everything. It now looks as good (or better) than any 1907 pistol in Brower's book. The numbers match and all the parts are model-appropriate.

The barrel is quite pitted internally, but very nice outside. It works amazingly well, but I want to find a better barrel for it. That will be difficult via sight unseen and mail order. SIGH.

I also want to find a couple more original 1-hole magazines.

Now - my disassembly problem. I cannot get the Cocking Lever Hinge Pin out. I am mechanically adept (pretty good amateur gunsmith) and have never had that problem (I'm also a mean SOB and *always* win!). I used a pin punch and large hammer and "encouraged" it much more than I oughta have. I soaked it in Kroil for three days. I broke an industrial strength front site pusher (twice!) that I modified to fit this as a pin pusher. It will not budge.

But I boiled the whole breech plug assembly in Simple Green, sprayed it out with Gun Scrubber, oiled with Break Free and then hosed it out with high pressure air blast. It is probably as clean as if I had taken it apart, but it still pizzes me off.

There is of course that hairline crack in the Retainer, but it fits down in that hole and is covered by the slide - it's not going anyplace. In the end, the pistol is beautiful and shoots good and operates smoothly throughout.

There is no obvious wear and tear other than the pitted barrel.

Finally the trigger is stiffer than I want. If I could have disassembled the breech plug I could have significantly smoothed up the sear and the firing pin mating. As it was I was able to get some tools in there a little bit and at least made enough difference to remove any hint of graininess or creep in the trigger feel. It's stiff but it goes snap (eventually!).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 35, 16 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.