Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I sold a rifle through the free classified a few weeks ago. I received a pm from a poster with only a couple of posts saying his friend was interested. I sent him my address and a postal money order arrived last monday that I cashed. In the envelope was also the ffl. So upon preparing to ship the rifle, I realized that the postal money order was the only information about the purchaser that I had, and it was already cashed. I pm'd the person that contacted me and asked for the purchasers name so I could fill out a bill of sale and send the rifle to the ffl. I sent several messages and received no response and it has been nearly a week. The messages say "unread by: none". I tried to look up the ffl's number and the only one I found has been disconnected. So I have the rifle, the money and nobody will contact me. Any idea's?

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think it's a good idea just to post this. Once somebody figures out they haven't recieved the rifle I would figure that this will remove any doubt that you have been trying to communicate. Wouldn't move that rifle or spend that money for at least 6 months though.

Good luck!

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds like the ideal sale. You get the cash and can continue to use the rifle. smile

It may take a little time, but eventually it seems likely that someone will get in touch with you....and Carolina Shooter said it right that this post will show you're excercising good faith in trying to finish the deal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a question,could he not write the bill of sale to the ffl and ship it?
BBJ

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by BareBack_Jack
BBJ

That sounds ok. Send a PM to say it was shipped to the FFL and provide a tracking number. The only risk is that the FFL gets it and doesn't know what to do with it. But, probably safest to wait for a response from the buyer since the FFL can't be contacted.

Last edited by Levers; 11/09/09.
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
good idea. I'd send it. he can alays request a bill of sale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Levers
BBJ

That sounds ok. Send a PM to say it was shipped to the FFL and provide a tracking number. The only risk is that the FFL gets it and doesn't know what to do with it. But, probably safest to wait for a response from the buyer since the FFL can't be contacted.

That would be EXACTLY what I would do. You are REALLY selling the rifle to the FFL in the first place. He will do the 4473 and transfer the rifle on his end. He could do the bill of sale and put N/C for the amt received.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, I'd keep the rifle and funds locked away for several months. You've done your part by sending a PM and posting here. WAIT until you are contacted by the purchaser. If you send it, then it gets lost in transit or by the FFL (if he is still in business), you'll be the one taking the blame - even though you did nothing wrong.

Did you verify the FFL on the BATFE website?

Good Luck!

RH

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Why not write a letter to the FFL, explain the situation and ask him to call you. He gave the buyer his FFL so he ought to know who he is.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Levers
BBJ

That would be EXACTLY what I would do. You are REALLY selling the rifle to the FFL in the first place. He will do the 4473 and transfer the rifle on his end. He could do the bill of sale and put N/C for the amt received.

Thought ?

The MO is for sale of rifle, to �seller� for the sum of the MO; not to the transfer of the FFL.

Buyer is responsible for payment of transfer to FFL to show owner ship.

IF BIGFOOT WAS REAL A KID WITH A 22 WOULD HAVE ALREADY KILLED HIM�����..
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

[/quote]

That would be EXACTLY what I would do. You are REALLY selling the rifle to the FFL in the first place. He will do the 4473 and transfer the rifle on his end. He could do the bill of sale and put N/C for the amt received. [/quote]

The ffl is just doing paper work to make the sale legal. The ffl is not the buyer.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Google...ATFOnline or FFLeZCheck
You can check and see if the ffl is still good .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you have the $$ and a current signed copy of a valid FFL, you are legally tranferring (selling) the rifle to the receiving FFL holder.

Since the rifle is being shipped under his/her FFL, he/she has to run it through the business, log it into his/her bound book, and will need to complete a 4473 to transfer it to the end-user/buyer and out of his/her bound book.

I'd call the FFL holder and see who he/she gave a copy of his/her FFL to, so that the end-user/buyer could have the rifle shipped.

FWIW, I ALWAYS make a photo-copy of every check/MO that I receive as payment for a firearm and I put that into the file related to that sale. I also keep a copy of the bill of sale and cover-letter that goes out with each sale. If the BATF comes knocking, I want to be able to show due diligence.

Whenever the end user isn't the FFL holder himself/herself, my cover-letters are addressed as follows:

ABC Gun Shop (the FFL holder)
Attn: John Q. Public (the end user/buyer)
123 Main Street
Anytown, AZ 90123

Jeff

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! Just freaking wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BATFE thing escapes so many it is beyond freaking belief. The seller in this case is NOT AN FFL. His requirements under the law are extremely limited. He has ZERO RECORD-KEEPING OBLIGATIONS... That would be NONE!!!!!!!!!

Check the BATFE website to ensure the FFL is valid... The FFL copy should NOT have been sent in the first place, period.

Seller has the money, an FFL number to verify, and an address, Ship the man's gun to his FFL and quite being a total PITA to the buyer. When he realizes seller is being a jerk and not sending his gun, which he has in good faith paid for, he has every right to be pissed!!!!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
?? for the FFL guys .......

If the seller (non-ffl) has the money for the weapon and sends it to the FFL for transfer (who did not pay for it) and the buyer never claims it! What happens to the weapon ?

Does the FFl get a free weapon ?

Tim

P
pike3e Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I have checked the BATF site and the ffl is current. However it is just kind of strange that his phone number is not connected, I dont have the person's name to whom the gun is supposed to go to (granted I would if I had made a copy of the money order), and my messages are being read and not replied to. Is there a possibility that the PO money order could be fake? If that was not a consideration, I would just ship the gun and be done with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Same situation can happen when prospective buyer is "denied" by BATFE. Firearm is already paid for, but the one purchasing has to find some way to sell it to someone else that can pass a NICS check. At the same time the FFL has to be extremely careful that the new purchaser is actually the buyer as "straw purchases" are a major sore spot with BATFE.

If the FFL posts something to the effect "Not responsible for firearms not cleared within 6 months" he could legally sell them... He would also need to notify the "owner" when doing it.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trying very hard not to be rude here, really, but it is very hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHIP THE GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postal money orders are the prefered way to pay for one simple reason. You take them to the PO and cash them. The PO makes a judgement on them on the spot and you get your money.

Involving a bank in any way complicates this as the bank will come back at you for the money if the PO later says the MO is forged.

Take the MO to the PO and cash it at the same time you ship. You have your money and the gun goes out ASAP.

Now ship the man his gun and get it over with! He does not need a receipt and you should not be keeping records of other people's guns...
art

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There you have it. I wouldn't argue with that, Makes sense. And it is the right thing to do.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Trying very hard not to be rude here, really, but it is very hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHIP THE GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postal money orders are the prefered way to pay for one simple reason. You take them to the PO and cash them. The PO makes a judgement on them on the spot and you get your money.

Involving a bank in any way complicates this as the bank will come back at you for the money if the PO later says the MO is forged.

Take the MO to the PO and cash it at the same time you ship. You have your money and the gun goes out ASAP.

Now ship the man his gun and get it over with! He does not need a receipt and you should not be keeping records of other people's guns...
art

Not to hijack the thread but, the Post Office around here won't cash postal money orders unless they're for very small amounts. Does most everybody take their postal money orders to the PO to cash? I've tried several times and finally given up.....

Last edited by Levers; 11/09/09.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,363
Posts18,506,380
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.