Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Lou_270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello All,

A single mom friend asked me to help pick out a deer rifle for her son. He's 16 and she wants to spend around $300. Being a hopeless gun trader, I tried to go down the route of let me find a "deal" on higher quaility, but she wants a new gun. Looking at guns out there in this range, it looksl like something along the lines of the Mossberg ATR100, Marlin XL7, or maybe the Stevens. Anybody have any experiences good or bad with these rifles? I'm probably looking for something in the .270, .308, or 7mm-08 class. The gun will be used for hunting deer/pigs/varmits in TX. I thought about the 336, but think the kid would want something a bit flatter shooting than .30-30 in a few years. Any other models out there I should consider?

Thanks,

Lou

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talk her into $99 more and go for the Weatherby

Lou_270 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sprint11
Talk her into $99 more and go for the Weatherby
That's an interesting thought. The vanguard takes remington 700 bases, right? I have a bunch of those laying around so would offset the cost somewhat.

Lou

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Stevens will shoot, as will a Howa. Not sure what you can find the Howa for, but might lean that way a bit, or not...Savage package rifle with an accutrigger is between 300-400 IIRC, sometimes a rebate or something might get it for $300 or so.

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been impressed enough with the X-7 Marlins since they came out.
They look much better and have more features than the Stevens and are significantly less expensive than a comparable Savage.
The Mossberg, not so much although I haven't shot one.
I've recommended the x-7's to several friends and they are all impressed with the accuracy and quality obtained.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I see you live in Dallas. Try to make it to a local Academy store. They have all the rifles mentioned (Marlin XL7,Howa/Weatherby, Mossberg, Stevens).

Personally, for $289, I think the Marlin is the best deal. The stock is nicer than the Stevens. The bluing is nicer than the Stevens (better polish). In 5 years, I think there will be all kinds of aftermarket support for this gun.

The Mossbergs are just cheap guns. Also, avoid the Remington 710/770's (the 700 is fine).

The Howa/Weatherby's are nice, but they run $400.

Also, the Academy stores have about the best prices I've seen on any of these guns (or at least within about $10). Don't feel like you have to waste a bunch of time running all over the Metroplex. The only place I've seen a better deal is when it comes to the Savage w/Accutrigger. If you decide on that, you're looking at around $390 at Wal-Mart. It'll be quite a bit more at Academy or Cabela's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DJTex
The Stevens will shoot, as will a Howa. Not sure what you can find the Howa for, but might lean that way a bit, or not...Savage package rifle with an accutrigger is between 300-400 IIRC, sometimes a rebate or something might get it for $300 or so.

DJ

I would lean more to the Savage , even if you find a used one without the Accutrigger. The Howa/Vanguard can be bought new for $399 at WM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would stay away from the Mossberg unless they have fixed the problem with the bolt coming loose, that is dangerous. For that amount of money I would recommend the Marlin XL or XS. The XS in 7-08 or 308 or the XL in 270. I don't know how big the 16 YO is but these calibers would fit the bill for most any 16 YO for Texas deer and then some.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tend to focus on the custom and sporterized Mausers. If you want value, that's a great place to find some. Guy can have $2,000 into a gun and it still only sells for $500. $300ish can buy you a decent Mauser with some decent wood or just a synthetic stock.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Savage/Stevens 200 go for $270 in gunbroker...as do the Marlin XL-7's. Can be had in many chamberings also.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wal-mart has a Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag with a Bell and Carlson stock, tan with black webbing, it's going for $350.00 with a decent factory target also.

maybe you can find something like that?

Brett (Mac)

Brett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Mossberg is a pos...the Marlin and Stevens are comparable... competent but cheaper designs... but another $50 buys a cnc machined 308 Howa with a forged one piece bolt and one piece recoil lug.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ahhh women and utes

I'd rather have a used rifle anyday of the week.

but she won't listen heh?

can you get her to log on? these boyz will line her out

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's hard to say anything negative regarding your very wise caliber choices. I'm a 7mm-08 fan but the 270's reputation on deer-sized game, at any range, is so outstanding that you have to wonder why the gun companies keep pushing out new ultra-short, super short, super fat magnums, whose advantage over traditional rounds is largely abstract and theoretical. The .270 may have a slight trajectory advantage over the 7mm-08 for varmint hunting but not enough to matter for deer.

The 130 grain .270 bullet is the round that really puts the venison in the oven. More effective at greater ranges than most of us are competent to shoot.

The power to legislate is the power to destroy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
another option , nef handi rifle. i've seen lots of kids started out on these rifles and they are very inexpensive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have helped friends scope and zero both the Marlin XL-7 and the Stevens (both are chambered in .270 WIN). My view of the two is that both are a lot of rifle for the money and well built to last over the long haul. Unless the kid becomes a rifle looney he will be able to use either one of those for the rest of his hunting life.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I myself couldn't spend $300 and expect a rifle to be dependable for long, or expect great QC. I would personally suggest she save an additional $150-200 and tell her to buy something a little nicer that might last a while longer.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Under the parameters you are working with, I would no doubt be looking to pick up a Marlin. My consternation would be as to whether it ended up being a .308 or a .270. The .308 might allow him to practice more economically, but it sort of comes down to personal preference. Some folks just won't have it unless it is a .270. I could work with either and be content.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
another option , nef handi rifle. i've seen lots of kids started out on these rifles and they are very inexpensive.

Not trying to jack this thread, but has anyone heard of any bad things with a handi rifle (besides having a club for a stock)??? Because this would be an option for this 16 year old with no more $$$ involved, then as he gets older and has his own money, he can buy any gun he wants. One CF member not long ago said he sighted in his BIL's 270 handi and was impressed with the accuracy. I've got a friend who's 14 yr old dot kills KS whitetails with her 243 handi (has yet to miss a deer anyway). I have zero experience with those rifles, but if they are really accurate, then a young hunter isn't going to complain or at least I wouldn't have if it was given to me.

Last edited by LNF150; 11/19/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Glocked_N_Loaded
I myself couldn't spend $300 and expect a rifle to be dependable for long, or expect great QC. I would personally suggest she save an additional $150-200 and tell her to buy something a little nicer that might last a while longer.

For $300 you can get a very reliable rifle - new. I bought my son-in-law a Savage .30-06 for that price as a wedding present. The Stevens are even less (basiclally a Savage without much attention to cosmetics) and the Marlin X-7s are quite nice. I expect any of them will last a lifetime and then some.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (280shooter, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.