I
Piece of mind. Works for me.

HR IC

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Calvin

Both elk took 3 bullets to bring them down?

Yes and no, both had severe heart injuries on the first shot and just didnt know it yet. Neither moved more than a few steps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

This is a beautiful picture. What camera did you use to capture the moments?
Nice animal too...
Not trying to steal the thread....

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Here is another VLD failure....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brasshound

[Linked Image]

This is a beautiful picture. What camera did you use to capture the moments?
Nice animal too...
Not trying to steal the thread....

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot SD890 IS
Image Date: 2008:10:17 11:47:50
Flash Used: No (Auto)
Focal Length: 15.4mm
CCD Width: 4.59mm
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
Aperture: f/4.5
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

That's what the EXIF data shows. smile

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I should ask how you like the camera? How is the battery life, does it get bumped on in hunting pack? Is it easy enough to use?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The use of target bullets for hunting debate will never end. Any website on the Net is filled with pros and cons and stories of wonderful performance and abject failure. It has actually supplanted the Barnes haters as the most popular subject for otherwise adult males to get into namecalling, threats and other gradeschool playground behavior.

Fact is the great Mr. Bell always used SOLIDS on his 7x57 to kill everything that walked in Africa. "never polluted my rifle with a softpoint."

The question I have posed several times, never to be answered, is "why?". Any hunter (not sniperwannabe) should be able to get within 300 yards of a big game animal. At that range a plain old 180 gr roundnose 30-06 softpoint will do the job...thus "Why?"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Brasshound - it's a nice little pocket camera. I keep it in a little padded case to keep it clean, and in bad weather it gets wrapped in a plastic bag to keep it dry.

Battery life is good. I've taken it backpacking for several days, no problem. It goes cross-country skiing, mountain biking, fishing and hunting with me. I think keeping it clean and dry and in the padded case (still pocket size) helps.

Thanks for the compliment on the deer photo - he fell down into a nasty ravine and I happened to look over and see that the light was on the leaves and looked pretty good. I'm pleased with the photo.

Regards, Guy

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"The use of target bullets for hunting debate will never end."

However it was discovered that these particular target bullets are also mighty effective hunting bullets.

"The question I have posed several times, never to be answered, is "why?". Any hunter (not sniperwannabe) should be able to get within 300 yards of a big game animal. At that range a plain old 180 gr roundnose 30-06 softpoint will do the job...thus "Why?""

And "Why not?" is a pretty decent answer to your question sir! It's not like taking game at 400 is something new... If you choose not to, that's great. If someone else chooses to do so... Why not?

I've hunted with a bow, and with a muzzle loader, a handgun, shotgun and with a lever gun. I've taken game at short ranges, and way out there. I don't see something magical happening at 300 yards which makes 250 yards a fine shot and 350 yards something to be maligned.

Regards, Guy

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by oldman1942
The use of target bullets for hunting debate will never end. Any website on the Net is filled with pros and cons and stories of wonderful performance and abject failure. It has actually supplanted the Barnes haters as the most popular subject for otherwise adult males to get into namecalling, threats and other gradeschool playground behavior.

Fact is the great Mr. Bell always used SOLIDS on his 7x57 to kill everything that walked in Africa. "never polluted my rifle with a softpoint."

The question I have posed several times, never to be answered, is "why?". Any hunter (not sniperwannabe) should be able to get within 300 yards of a big game animal. At that range a plain old 180 gr roundnose 30-06 softpoint will do the job...thus "Why?"

Bravo! Best post I have seen in a long time!

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guess there is still some failure to comprehend how VLD's differ from other target bullets--and how they differ from any other expanding bullet made. They do NOT expand until they get inside the animal, which is different from any other expanding bullet ever designed. This was accidentally discovered, but happens nonetheless.

Apparently there is also the misconception that VLD's are only good for long-range shooting. This is far from the case. They perform in much the same any range from close up to far away.

I have only shot a handful of animals at over 300 yards with VLD's, and those were at less than 400. Unlike some other bullets, they do NOT "blow up" before getting into the clockwork.

In short, they offer the same degree of revolutionary performance as the Barnes X, except at the opposite end of the expanding-bullet spectrum. They get inside and really destroy the lungs and anything else inside the chest cavity. In the process they merely punch a knitting-needle-sized hole going in, damaging even LESS meat than a monolithic around the entrance hole.

This sort of performance has been fantasized about by some hunters since the beginning of expanding bullets.

The quote from WDMB has been over-used so much that it is a cliche. The fact is that when Bell started hunting big game expanding bullets were unreliable, the reason he chose solids. At the end of his life he was a big believer in masive tiisue destruction, and was shooting red stags with the .220 Swift.

If penetration were the only criteria for "killing power" on any sort of big game, then we'd still be using solids for pronghorns and whitetails. But we don't, because solids don't kill nearly as effectively as today's expanding bullets, whether the Barnes TSX or the Berger VLD.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think many have already answered the "why" of the VLD, if someone cares to read how they have written their accounts.

Very quick kills, many DRTs, with little wasted meat, from an accurate bullet. It is not necessarily an all-around bullet, but has great returns on investment in specific scenarios.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guess there is still some failure to comprehend how VLD's differ from other target bullets--and how they differ from any other expanding bullet made. They do NOT expand until they get inside the animal, which is different from any other expanding bullet ever designed. This was accidentally discovered, but happens nonetheless.

Apparently there is also the misconception that VLD's are only good for long-range shooting. This is far from the case. They perform in much the same any range from close up to far away.

I have only shot a handful of animals at over 300 yards with VLD's, and those were at less than 400. Unlike some other bullets, they do NOT "blow up" before getting into the clockwork.

In short, they offer the same degree of revolutionary performance as the Barnes X, except at the opposite end of the expanding-bullet spectrum. They get inside and really destroy the lungs and anything else inside the chest cavity. In the process they merely punch a knitting-needle-sized hole going in, damaging even LESS meat than a monolithic around the entrance hole.

This sort of performance has been fantasized about by some hunters since the beginning of expanding bullets.

The quote from WDMB has been over-used so much that it is a cliche. The fact is that when Bell started hunting big game expanding bullets were unreliable, the reason he chose solids. At the end of his life he was a big believer in masive tiisue destruction, and was shooting red stags with the .220 Swift.

If penetration were the only criteria for "killing power" on any sort of big game, then we'd still be using solids for pronghorns and whitetails. But we don't, because solids don't kill nearly as effectively as today's expanding bullets, whether the Barnes TSX or the Berger VLD.

JB. I researched them, read up on them including your excellent article about the New Zealand hunt. Not trying to be antagonistic, but personally speaking I do completely understand how they wortk I just not like how they work. I just like a stouter bullet. Just airing my opinion like I suspect others are doing.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
6.5whitetail: I don't have time to read all the posts here right now - but I have to ask - what failed?
Said Deer ran past you's guy's and dropped off the bullet fragments before disappearing?
OR - did the "dead" Deer autopsy provide the evidence in question?
SOME of said Berger bullet DID exit the Deer through a "pencil sized hole" but apparently enough energy and shrapnel were imparted in and into the Deer to render it dead!
I have one suggestion for you's guy's IF you are un-happy with the Berger's - NOSLER!
I use the Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 260 Remington on Whitetail, Antelope and Mule Deer with wonderful results - PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

300 grain 338 cal SMK at 165 yards the damage is massive

[Linked Image][/QUOTE]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
SMK's now?

Oh Lord! Here we go!

..........And the're off............

[Linked Image]

laugh grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A few more head of game taken with 300 SMK's

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
VarmintGuy,

He shot the deer upper lungs and didnt-- A. Get a blood trail and had to make circles to find the deer @ around 70 yds. B.He was surprised upon autopsy, there wasn't hardly any damage to the lungs he hit.

I had a similar story from last year where a different guy shot 2 deer running together and both took 2 shots to the lungs from a 300 WM with 175 gr. VLD's and acted as if they were never hit. One required a pistol follow up in the head. There again minimal lung damage, but plenty of shrapnel. ???? I just posted these 2 events and a few idiots chimed in to save the VLD. I have nothing against the VLD, but after witnessing some of the events I'm going to keep shooting Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, and Swift.

KLM

K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here's an exit from a 168gr VLD from a 7RM. Doe antelope shot at about 150yds through both shoulders. No tracking or walking circles involved here.

This is pretty typical of the destruction I've seen from VLD's. I wish I had pictures to show of a couple of 75-100lb. hogs that I had shot with the same bullet a month or so before this antelope...extensive damage to put it mildly!

It's hard for me to comprehend a VLD creating a minimal exit wound and not doing some major damage in the boiler room. A bigger concern for me with the Bergers, is not being able to penetrate the shoulder of larger critters like elk.

Kevin

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good grief! I've been shooting some 168 VLD's at the range from my 7mm RM, but haven't shot any game with that combo yet...

Luckily for those of us who like to eat our game, deer & pronghorn have four quarters! Wow... Now that's expansion...

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 40 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,612
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.