Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ruger makes a kid size model 77 that can probably be had in a 243. We have one in a 223 for our hunter safety classes, and the smallest of kids handle it with no problem.

1Minute
HR IC

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thompson Contender Carbine...pick a caliber. They are light and most important, not muzzle heavy.

Good luck!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DD: What kind of ranges are you thinking she'll be shooting?

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Marlin 1894(38/357 or 44spc/44Mag) 6 or 6.5 pounds almost no recoil for woods ranges. Plus she can build comfort and familiarity by shooting the lighter loads and working up to some hotter heavier loads once she gets used to shooting.

H&R 243 Win. Superlight Handi-Rifle Compact (SB2-SY5) 5.3 Pounds
For field ranges.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TC G2/contender carbine in 7-30 Waters with a 16" barrel and cut down youth stock.

I actually have one set up with a 14" barrel but that's an extra $200 for 2 inches less barrel.

Much better choice than a .22 centerfire and a lot lighter than a bolt .260.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn
DD: What kind of ranges are you thinking she'll be shooting?

Well if you listen to the ranges nothing under 1,000 yards, well maybe 400 yards, well maybe... grin

Realistically, likely around a 100 yards.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hell a trapper length Marlin in 44 mag......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by derby_dude
actually the Dad to my surrogate daughters has a problem.

His oldest one is 13 and this is her second year of hunting with Dad. He bought her a good used Ruger with a Nikon scope in 7X57. Number one daughter is a good size girl, not fat, and the 7X57 makes her a good elk and deer rifle.

Number two daughter is a eleven. Next year when she turns twelve she wants to take hunter safety and go hunting with Dad and number one daughter.

Number two daughter is a little bit of a thing. She's almost 5' and weights 85 pounds. It will probably take her two years to hit a 100 pounds. She can lift a .22lr rifle but that's about it. Montana allows a .22 center fire rifle for elk and deer hunting and that's probably the caliber she will have to use for the foreseeable future. I'm thinking a bolt or single shot in .223 will probably have to do and weigh no more than 5 to 6 pounds.

Any of you guys with very petite daughters have any suggestions?
.............#2 daughter needs the lite-weight 5 3/4 lb Ruger Hawkeye compact chambered in the 260 Remy or 7mm/08, with a lite Leupold scope on it.

Its OAL of only 35.5" and shorter LOP, will make things easier for her when carrying, shouldering and manuvering. For a bolt action, you cannot beat the Ruger compacts when it comes to overall handling.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
In my opinion the Kimber is more expensive than I would put in the hands of an 11 year old. Most 11 year old kids can not appreciated a fine firearm and would be better served with a less expensive starter rifle. But that is just my opinion.

8mmwapiti

My opinion also. But it also too expensive for my hands also. If I took something that expensive to the woods I would worry so much about scratching the rifle I would not be able to have any fun. An 11 year old should not have to worry about the care a rifle. They should just be thinking about safety.

Also, an 11 year old may not want to hunt more than once.
Remember to make it fun.

My $.02, buy 243, buy used, used low recoil loads, and get a limbsaver pad. Teach her to shoot by supporting the rifle on something to help her control the rifle. I use this method still.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw a Marlin XS youth model in 7-08 at Sportsman's Warehouse today.
Would certainly make a nice gun for a small framed beginner only $300.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta agree with 260remguy here.
Marlin XS7 Youth in 243. Get her a bigger one (308?) in a few years when she can handle one. Would still cost less than one Ruger, Rem, Winchester.
Edit to add, they have great recoil pads, perfect for beginners or old folks.

Last edited by 338Federal; 11/29/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JustLucky
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
In my opinion the Kimber is more expensive than I would put in the hands of an 11 year old. Most 11 year old kids can not appreciated a fine firearm and would be better served with a less expensive starter rifle. But that is just my opinion.

8mmwapiti

My opinion also. But it also too expensive for my hands also. If I took something that expensive to the woods I would worry so much about scratching the rifle I would not be able to have any fun. An 11 year old should not have to worry about the care a rifle. They should just be thinking about safety.

Also, an 11 year old may not want to hunt more than once.
Remember to make it fun.

My $.02, buy 243, buy used, used low recoil loads, and get a limbsaver pad. Teach her to shoot by supporting the rifle on something to help her control the rifle. I use this method still.

seriously? you guys worry bout beating the chit out of a $1,000 gun? how is it any different from a $600 gun with a $400 scope? its stainless and synthetic meant to be abused.....if i dropped a couple grand on nicely figured walnut i might, and thats a big might, feel guilty bout beating the hell out of it.....its a tool meant to be used who cares bout dings and scratches? i certainly dont.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd go Rem 700 youth in 243 with 4x Weaver or Leupold in talleys. Please check her eye dominance though. I am relearning shooting after 35 years of shooting against my dominant eye. Both my kids are righthanded and shooting lefthanded to match eye dominance. They both shoot very well.

The Rem youth is available in either right or lefthand configs. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 100 yards, Rattler has it. Trapper length Marlin in 44 mag.
6 pounds, virtually no recoil, and with the leverevolution ammo it has plenty of thump. Plus it is a dandy cool gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
*duplicate post*

Last edited by Aileinduinn; 11/30/09.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After raising children hunting, my honest opinion is that they are not old enough to shoot animals, until they are old enough to use proper equipment. There are too many disappointments along the way if not.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.260 Rem would get my vote, and I agree with Itppowell - if the girl can't handle anything bigger than a .22 centerfire she probably isn't ready to hunt.

In my experience, since I started elk hunting in 1982, I've seen .243's wound and lose more game than probably all other cartridges combined. Those .243's were often in the hands of young hunters.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
After raising children hunting, my honest opinion is that they are not old enough to shoot animals, until they are old enough to use proper equipment. There are too many disappointments along the way if not.

Her Dad and I have talked about that. She may not be able to hunt until she is into her late teens or early twenties. It will break her heart but she is just to small.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
.260 Rem would get my vote, and I agree with Itppowell - if the girl can't handle anything bigger than a .22 centerfire she probably isn't ready to hunt.

In my experience, since I started elk hunting in 1982, I've seen .243's wound and lose more game than probably all other cartridges combined. Those .243's were often in the hands of young hunters.

I actually think over all the .22 center fire maybe be a better killer than the 6mm especially with premium bullets. I've seen too many big animals flatten with .22 center fires. I think it's because people shooting .22 center fires tend to practice more and because of practice they place their shots better. Another thing the .22 center fires explode like a bomb inside of the animal releasing all energy inside instead of out side the animal. YMMV.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Losing an animal after a shot does not envoke confidence in a hunter and seems to be particularly demoralizing to young ladies. Making them wait a little longer only strengthens their desire. In the meanwhile, let 'em pick on something their own size. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.