Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
All this talk of 375's is putting me in the mood for another medium bore (despite the title of this forum, the 375 is a medium bore; only above 40's qualify as large bores but I digress grin )

I've got dies, I've got brass and I've got an itch but here's the thing: no stores in my area have 375 H&H's, save one. That particular store has only a Remington Model 700 XCR with a synthetic stock and already coated by Remington in diamond dust impregnated super-polymer for $799, new.

Dare I cross to the dark side? Can I live without a claw extractor? Will my CZ's, Winchester's, Mauser's and BRNO's desert me en mass if I bring this push-feeder home? crazy

Seriously though, has anyone had a Rem 700 in 375 H&H? If so, how did you like it? How does the factory recoil lug hold up? Any feeding issues? General observations? Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I�ve got two 375 H&H Magnums at the moment, these are a SAKO 85 Bavarian and a Remington 700 XCR.

In terms of the Remington 700 XCR, it�s taken plenty of game and is very comfortable to shoot. Most important, it works flawlessly and is inherently accurate. I�ve got this model also in a .338WM.

The Remington XCR�s durability is amazing - I�ve found them to be very reliable.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Stay away from the 700 Safari of old. Very fine gun, but too damn heavy!

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Noone else has a Rem 700 in 375 H&H?

Geez, guess I better get 375 Ruger! grin

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
had a C grade custom in 375HH, an old one, heavy barrel rifle, very accurate with 270gr TSX's and real plaeasent to shoot. No issues other than the weight.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I am one of the anal control feed freaks, you could not give me a DG rifle without the control feed option..I have seen push feed failures 20 to 1 in our camps over the years.

I am not anal about what somebody else uses..I really don't care, it's all I can do to take care of myself.....

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by HawkI
Stay away from the 700 Safari of old. Very fine gun, but too damn heavy!

Dock the barrel to 22" and it becomes much nicer! I owned both the old heavy Safari plus the Safari Classic (about 7 1/2 lb) and both were very accurate and never ever gave a feeding issue ... as a matter of fact they were both more reliable than my CRF rifles at the time. Many Remington's will function better off the shelf than cheaper CRF style rifles ... but the long tapered cases of the 375H&H just makes everything feed/cycle smooth in a Rem700.
Cheers...
Con

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have no use for Remingtons for play guns, let alone working guns. Their failings are well known, or ought to be.

Put this in perspective: some of my favorite weapons are Sako pushfeed rifles. So it's not even about that. Remingtons are simply junk.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Rem. Classic in .375 H&H, and my buddy has a Rem. XCR in the same caliber. I had mine restocked by Randy Lawson, and have taken it on two African safaris, the first to Tanzania and the second to South Africa.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I've got a .375 h&h in 700stainless synthetic bdl configuration, I've been using it as my main North american gun for the last 10 yrs or so, with nary a hiccup, it still shoots around an inch or less for 5 shots. I have never had a feed jam, bedding issue etc.. It is bone stock, not even glass bedded. I think it probably has atleast 1000 shots thru it by me, and I'm not sure how many from the guy before me.
It's killed moose,deer, bear,caribou,coyotes,coons and cats for me with zero problems.
It nice and light- the gun itself weighs just around 7lb, so nice and easy to carry.

recoil is brisk from the bench, but hunting or using sticks or field positions not an issue whatsoever. Last moose I shot with it was @419yrds from prone position with no scopebrow, and a very dead moose about 20 seconds after the shot.

In my opinion Go for it- they work!

Last edited by notlim; 11/30/09.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
moved to new thread

Last edited by fatjack34; 11/30/09.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It is the Vastava M98 action that has been imported under a bunch of different names (most previously by Chs Daly.) It is rough to start with, but some judicious polishing and use goes a long way toward smoothing it up. I just built a rifle using one, and went to a lot of trouble polishing it up pre-bluing. It is a quite smooth action now.

So as it comes from Rem it is probably pretty rough, but that does not have to remain the case.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RyanScott,

Would really appreciate hearing some specifics backing up your opinion on 700's. We get more than enough postings on the Campfire that are opinions without specifics. Some experiences would be great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
JB...your freind and mine Dan M. has taken a couple elk, and 21 PG African critters, and a Buffalo with his Remington 700 Classic in .375...
I was there for about half of them...
Didn't seem junky to me...so theres my vote... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well John since you asked... I don't care for the flimsy extractor that is prone to breakage particularly if dust & debris is allowed to accumulate behind it. I saw that one in Pennsylvania to a friend of mine. Don't like the brazed bolt handle (saw one of those come off at our local range here in Florida). Do a "google" search for the infamous fail-on-fire safety and see how many law suits are out there. I don't like the fact the safety doesn't lock the bolt. Finally I read a very good report in African hunter Magazine about 700s poor performance at the PH exams at Rifa. They are not junk by a long shot, but they aren't my favorite either. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jorge hit in on the head. Most who hunt for big and bitey stuff will go with a CRF action a la model 70, Mauser etc. A model 700 would not be my first choice for a 375 by a long shot. Not junk, great varmint and target rifles just not the best choice for a DGR IMHO.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Jorge, but I was asking RyanScott.

The reason was was asking was that I have put tens of 1000's of rounds through M700's without seeing any of the problems you describe. That doesn't mean they can't happen, of course, but have also watched other people put a similar number of rounds through them, and only seen one problem, a possible (and I emphasize possible) accidental discharge, though it happened when the shooter (not all that experienced) was already set up to shoot at a caribou.

I haven't ever seen a 700 extractor break--though I know they do. Have never seen a bolt handle come off either, even though I've tapped on more than a few to get the bolt open, after I screwed up and loaded a round too hot. Again, I know the bolt handles can come off, but have never seen it myself in some tens of thousands of rounds shot through 700's.

This makes me suspect that the "epidemic" of 700 failures is due to both faulty maintenance OR the vast number of 700's in service.

In the same period, I've had a few failures with CRF actions of various types. So am still waiting to be convinced.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 11/30/09.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well put John, can't argue with that! I forgot to add another aspect and that is one of "taste". I think 700s just look cheap and you factor in the fact that the 700 IS a cheaper action to build, why bother when a Model 70, Browning Safari Grade, Ruger RSM, can do a better job. Like you, I don't believe for one moment there is an epidemic, but why bother with a "cheaper cut"? smile As to the accuracy issue, the other rifles are just as good. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 35 year old Rem 700 BDL in 270 that has over 3000 rounds through it. It's got it's orignial Redfield 3x9 scope on it. It's accounted for thirty deer or so, more javelina than that a dozen elk and 7 black bears (nuisance tags). We used to shoot crows at 300 yards with it. It still will shoot inside a dime at 100 yards if I do my part. Never had a malfunction of any kind. Shoots 90g Sierra HPs, 130, and 150 Noslers equally well. Handed it down to my younger son last year, the older one who's in the Rangers got the identical rifle in left hand several years earlier. Nothing bad to say about the guns, accurate and reliable as hell.

That being said, I bought a CZ Safari Custom for a DGR rifle in 500 Jeffrey. Dad had to have a bigger gun ... lol

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 35 year old Rem 700 BDL in 270 that has over 3000 rounds through it. It's got it's orignial Redfield 3x9 scope on it. It's accounted for thirty deer or so, more javelina than that a dozen elk and 7 black bears (nuisance tags). We used to shoot crows at 300 yards with it. It still will shoot inside a dime at 100 yards if I do my part. Never had a malfunction of any kind. Shoots 90g Sierra HPs, 130, and 150 Noslers equally well. Handed it down to my younger son last year, the older one who's in the Rangers got the identical rifle in left hand several years earlier. Nothing bad to say about the guns, accurate and reliable as hell.

That being said, I bought a CZ Safari Custom for a DGR rifle in 500 Jeffrey. Dad had to have a bigger gun ... lol

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 1,719 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,271
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.