Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3547891 12/07/09
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna crock pot a good size lope roast for the game tonight.

So if you don't mind please fill me in on your ways/methods.

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Salt and pepper and flour all sides .... sear all sides in olive oil in a hot cast iron skillet. Put in the pot with a little water and some lipton onion mix. Put the veggies in when you have a couple of hours left.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boots, it's a pretty good size roast (4 a lope) any idea how long and what temp setting?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I put the meat on the bottom of the pot,with olive oil on the bottom. Apply,salt,pepper, bay leaves, sage and about 1/2 cup of beef bullion .Then add potatoes and onions,and dump a can of concentrated mushroom soup on it. Turn it on high for 4 hours. Add carrots and celery. Turn on low for 2 hours.
I also spray sides of pot with PAM before starting

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/07/09.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mark....I think boots hit it pretty well on the head, I'd add a full bodied beer and a couple dashes of Tabasco....( to the crock pot....not to the chef...) grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dober,

I do a fair amount of crock pottin' and here's what I do.

I'll add my roast, then add carrots, taters, onion, celery, fresh garlic, some seasoned salt (I like Tony's or Lawry's) and fresh black pepper. I'll add 1 can or beef broth, 1 can of Cream of Mushroom, and dependent on crockpot and size or roast, I'll cook on low for 4-6 hours.

You can thicken up the gravy after it's done if you wish...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Using chicken bullion with beef or wild game adds a nice flavor also.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What time will it be ready? grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most anything you read about crock cooking usually tells you to place the veges on the bottom. Frankly, I like this approach because the veges do not dry out and it elevates the meat above the liquid thus not creating a braised product but rather roasted.

As for cook times I always heat any liquids first so they accelerate heat in the crock pot. Also start out for the first hour at high then reducing cook temp to low for the duration.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As for cook times I always heat any liquids first so they accelerate heat in the crock pot

A crock pot genious...! LOL!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Be here about half time tonight... smile

Dober

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
As for cook times I always heat any liquids first so they accelerate heat in the crock pot

A crock pot genious...! LOL!

I can tell that I'm beginning to grow on ya' wink David

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
The reaon I like the meat on the bottom is that the veggies don't get as mushy and the meat cooks faster and is tenderer. Sometimes I set a few ears of corn on top also and a helping of green or yellow beans later.

This all comes out more like milk can stew if you ever heard dof that

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had the mush issue and do find veges often take longer to cook than the meat itself. put the veges on one side and meat on the other I guess. Ask sse;)

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd better chunk the veggies in. And this is gonna sound really stupido so forgive me but I'm kind of a crock pot virgin.

Can you over cook a roast in a crock just like you could in a dutch oven or will it get more tender with more time?

Thx
Dober

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can over cook (rather dry-out) but if you go high for 4 or 8 at low you should be good-to-go. If you're short on time with the veges then just par-boil and dump in the crock pot juice for a couple of hours.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can you over cook, yes and no. The longer you cook meat in a crock pot the tenderer it gets untill it just falls apart. It won't be ruined though but you won't be able to slice it.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very true---I've left beef in the crock pot too long and falls apart almost into a ground beef chili like consistency.

Go Nats!!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dober, you can't ruin the meat, it will just fall apart. But if you overcook your vegies, you can turn them to mush. Don't know if you did this, but brown all sides of your wild game first. Dry off the meat with a paper towl before you put it in the very hot oil. This was in Eileens's book. Browning the meat carmelizes it and gives you a better end product. I use the crockpot quite a bit because its simple and provides a good "stick to the ribs" meal.
Now after this first meal, you can alter things to suit your taste for the next one.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx mucho for all your help boys, it came out quite good!

Dober

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 73 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,898
Posts18,479,278
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.