-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken Stewart of Stewart Bullets who live in Pietersburg also loads a lot of ammo for guys (esp PHs) in Zim & Bots. He'll also make cases and/or bullets of absolutely any calibre to order.

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shakari
Ken Stewart of Stewart Bullets who live in Pietersburg also loads a lot of ammo for guys (esp PHs) in Zim & Bots. He'll also make cases and/or bullets of absolutely any calibre to order.

That is really handy. It allows old or obsolete (such as 375 Ruger ha ha) to be procurred. If a person was worried about loosing ammo they could order a couple boxes to their specs and be assured they would hunt their own rifle. |Thanka for the info. How much lead time does he require? I suppose a request for ammo should be made when booking the hunt.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy,

I'm not sure about his delivery time nowadays but he's never been particularly fast I'm afraid!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In any business, if you are in high demand, you can work at your own pace and people will wait.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken is in his 70s (at least) now and is also an absolute prefectionist and never does anything fast..... FWIW, he's also an incredible guy. He was one of the old East African PHs, knew or was related to all the old names such as Alan Black etc and also served his apprentiship as a PH with Alan. - Later he had his own game capture business at a time when they used to chase after the game in old Land Rovers and Champs etc and then lassoo them. He also provided all the game for the Born Free movie.

Some of his pics of the old days are breathtaking!

Norma are now making some of his bullet designs.

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My PH had a Win 70 CRF custom in 458 Lott. Weighed about 6 1/2 lbs with plastic stock and no scope. He said it kicked a bit.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My PH had a Win 70 CRF custom in 458 Lott. Weighed about 6 1/2 lbs with plastic stock and no scope. He said it kicked a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would anyone consider a Sako 85 C.R.F.?? And are they as reliable as a Win 70 or a CZ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am pretty sure the Sako's are not true CRF. Have not handled one for a while so I cannot say unequivicably but I have also not ever seen one in Africa.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Texagator,
You might discover that Africa could be cheaper than Alaska if you are talking about plains game and not the "Big Five".

Rugers may have a claw extractor, but they are not a controlled round feed IMO.

Find yourself an old Mauser action and try it out yourself.
You will see the difference.

A true controlled round feed must be fed by the magazine
and not directly into the chamber.

If you want a very reliable rifle try an old FN Belgian commercial Mauser like a Browning Safari.You can pick them up at gun shows once in awhile usually because the owners no longer able to hunt because of age.

They were very high quality and still are a good choice IMO.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whelennut

Rugers may have a claw extractor, but they are not a controlled round feed IMO.

I guess if you are just opining that's ok, but the fact is Ruger (MKIIs) are CRFs. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes, the Mk11 are control feed rifles..mark one up for JorgeI.

I might add that GS Customs of South Africa makes as good a game bullet that I have ever used, which is surprising as I am normally not a big fan of monolithic bullets, but these babies work like a charm and I have never seen or heard of one failing, not so with the other monolithics I have used.

PS.
I ain't using no damn push feed rifle on DG! smile smile

Last edited by atkinson; 12/11/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a few rugers and winchesters and a Montana action. There all CRF, however the Rugers will eventually lock the rim to the bolt face where the winchesters and Mausers do it the very instant the shell comes from the magazine.

I have seen a few rugers that were as flawless as a winchester with this process, not sure if they were worked on or just lucky? The rugers I have in my own cabinet will not grab the shell until the bolt is much closer to being closed then the winchester and Montana or a true mauser is.

Just as an example my Hawkeye with the muzzle pointed at the ground and the bolt cycled when a shell comes up from the magazine will slide right down into the chamber. it does not go under the extractor. With the others it sliders under the extractor ever time.

They are both CRF but the precision of the Ruger is a bit less then the way the others function. Certainly way better the a PF, but it's just missing the artistic and ingenious function of the Mauser/Win/dakota/montana-- etc.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That has been my experience with Rugers as as well. Sometimes it seems to be cartridge specific. I had a Mark II in .350 Remington Magnum for a while that I had to work on for a couple of hours one afternoon to get to feed smoothly, and even then it didn't pick up the rim all that quickly.

On the other hand the Ruger Hawkeye in .375 Ruger I had for a while was the slickest feeding rifle chambered for a dangerous-game cartridhe that I have ever seen out of the box. It fed flawlessly and smoothly no matter how rapidly or slowly the action was worked, and what the shape of the bullet.

Just for the record, have even seen one military Mauser 98 action that wouldn't feed the cartridge it was chambered for (7x57).

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
wow! I have never seen a milsurp Mauser that wouldn't feed, but hey they were made by man...

I tweek every gun that I am going to hunt with, and I mean I really tweek them, especially DG rifles, but I enjoy working on them so its no big deal..timeing is everything with a CFR..

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
wow! I have never seen a milsurp Mauser that wouldn't feed, but hey they were made by man...

I tweek every gun that I am going to hunt with, and I mean I really tweek them, especially DG rifles, but I enjoy working on them so its no big deal..timeing is everything with a CFR..

Who was it on one of these threads that said their gun would feed with them hanging upside down from a tree or underwater, Cool! but I have never shot a buff or any other animal hanging upside down with my rifles and I ain't going swiming in Africa with or without my rifle. Maybe the blood just rushed to that guys head a little fast before he posted.:):)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that was a real weird one, a Mexican action. It took some work to get it to feed, but not as much as it took the Ruger to feed the .350 RM slickly....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've not fooled with many of the Ruger MkIIs, but my 1992 vintage .338 Win Mag RSM feeds as slick (out of the magazine, rim under the extractor well before the round hits the chamber)as any Model 70, or Mauser (including a Brevex .375 that's a dandy). Guess it just depends on the individual rifle.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Based on just 3 safaris - I saw the PHs carrying 375 H&Hs on various Mauser actions for backup on DG (buff), but the outfitter had a 470NE W&S DR. On a PG hunt in RSA our PH carried no backup but kept an old scoped re-barreled 308 Win he inherited from his grandfather who'd shot it competitively for RSA.

Last hunt - for elephant - my PH carried a 500NE 3 1/4" DR and a tracker carried his scoped - 3x Leupold - 375 H&H for the PH to use on outbound follow ups. BTW, this PH loads for his 500NE. Another PH I met had a 416 RM Custom Shop SS/synthetic which shoots very well.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JB it soounds like you got your MK11 350 Rem. to feed, mine had a WSM box, not a normal magnum box, as confirmed by Ruger (same part # as for a WSM caliber) and my gunsmith could never get it to feed as one would expect.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1lessdog, 1234, 54 invisible), 17,857 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,958
Posts18,539,590
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.