Very interesting discussion...

Jeff O,
$299, really? Where was that? I have never seen a Conquest for that price - event the 4X fixed is $340 at Optics Planet, a big discounter. Was that a one time deal? MSRP is $444 at Zeiss for the one you bought. Come to think of it, the VX-III/3 Leupy's are all more than 3 bills...

I have a 1.75-6 X 32 VX-III, and I will say it's a fine piece of equipment. I have the QR mounts and can swap a VX-III 3.5-10 X 40 with it very quickly and be really close to same POI. One is a backup, but I'm not sure which one is the backup! I have these on a magnum length action (.300 RUM), and they mount fine.

Here's some questions for this topic:
Facts or "Wilderness Legends"? (as opposed to "Urban Legends")

1. Fixed powers almost always out perform variables in low light at similar magnifications and objective sizes (within the similar tier of brands lets say). I thought the more elements the light goes through, the more is lost...

2. Higher magnifications reduce the light that reaches the eye. Larger Objectives gather more light. That larger objective the 3.5-10 X 40 has is to give it a chance to be as bright as a 1.75-6 X 32 over it's range of use. True?

And a tactical question:
For Leopard hunting at very low light, isn't the range rather short, over bait from a blind as a rule? If so, why would you want anything but a 1.75 to 2 magnification?

Is there really any functional difference between the two scopes in question for multi-purpose use? I mean you would not buy a scope for one animal on one hunt normally - would you?

Just asking. Probably stirring the pot again...

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"