-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you play texas hold-em, only bet to see the flop if you've got good cards. A high pair, or a couple of suited face cards. It easy to blow through all your chips just trying to see what's going to happen on the flop. There's other times you should maybe pay to see the first cards but those are the easiest to explain here.

Deal with it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take the same amount of time, every time, when putting money into the pot..count to 5 in your head, or whatever feels right, then put the money in the same way every time.

If they're playing for nickles, dimes & quarters, just have fun while learning the different games. Most you can lose is 50 bucks or so. If the game is for real money, don't play.

Some of the games may be high-low. In that case the pot will be split between the highest hand & the lowest hand. The best low hand in poker is the ace-2-3-4-6.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take isaac with you and let me know what night that happens so I can go win too.

Last edited by byc; 12/14/09.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Bob, are you free tonight?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks to Kenny Rogers, we all know how to play poker.

You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

You never count your money when your sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting when the dealin's done.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

KC #3572669 12/14/09
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BOB--BOB the ladies callin you!! wink

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't risk more than you can afford, scared money never wins.
Bet your cards, not your hope (the draw)
Stay sober
Take a break once in a while
Don't make loans- I did that once to a cute lady when she went broke. By morning she was a big winner and I didn't have breakfast money.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A little history is perhaps in order. The game was created as a magic trick. Audiences were amazed to see their friends and neighbors turned into a##holes by simply dealing the cards. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
SL

I'm gonna wait up to make sure you're okay. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People can read you like a book. That's the best advice I can give.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
Sometimes not knowing exactly what you're doing is a PLUS. I've played poker exactly 4 times. Each time it was during a work assignment and I got "bugged" into playing w/ the rest of the boys. Five dollar buy in is about all they do. I found that you can really piss serious players off when you go all in to win a big hand, and you later (after winning, of course) find out that you need more than 4 in a row to make a straight...OOPS.
I've found that for our small games, people take it way too serious. If you bet a bigger chip, they act like it's a big deal, when in reality it's not even a quarter. I played to have fun and mess w/ the folks who took it serious....and damned if I haven't won all four times. Begginers luck is a wonderful thing..(=

�Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.� Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What are the stakes?

Mirrored glasses can show your opponents your hand.

Don't play every hand, don't fold every hand but real good ones, when you do get a good hand everyone will fold on you.

Fold the slop, play the good hands, but learn what mediocre hands to play.

There will always be at least one player who is bluff happy, you will most likely have to call him when you think he is BSing even with only an average hand, otherwise he will continue to bully you out of hands.

Fishing for two cards to make a flush or straight is extreme, most of the time you will come up empty, don't get in the habit of fishing for hands like that unless it is cheap.

Do you know what games they play?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh ya, a couple of obvious tells.

If a guy looks at his cards then leans back in his chair, he is attempting to distance himself from a real good hand. Leaning back in his chair after looking at his cards usually means a powerful hand.

Likewise, a guy who sets his cards down on the table and looks around the room disinterested or makes idle chatter in the middle of hand is usually trying to play down his good hand.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by eblues
The best low hand in poker is the ace-2-3-4-6.

Wouldn't ace, 2, 3, 4, 5 beat ace, 2, 3, 4, 6?

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ShootingLady
A friend asked me to play poker with some friends. I might have played many, many years ago, but I forgot anything I knew.
So, if anyone here plays, do you have any tips that I might use to not look a total fool?

Assume I know nothing on the subject...

Okay, you know nothing.

Do not get drunk! (But make sure everybody else does.)
Make SURE they know you don't know how to play. (They won't believe you.)
Do a lot of "folding" at first, reserving your money/chips.
Ask questions every hand...you'll learn the game(s) quickly.
When everybody else is drunk, most have busted and you now know the game and have money to bet...bust all of them!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ShootingLady
A friend asked me to play poker with some friends. I might have played many, many years ago, but I forgot anything I knew.
So, if anyone here plays, do you have any tips that I might use to not look a total fool?

Assume I know nothing on the subject...
First of all make sure you know what beats what. Next, never go for an inside straight (which is half as likely as an outside straight) if there's any money at risk, i.e., not on a raise or a call. Bluff a few times early on, and make sure people see that you bluff occasionally, even if you lose a little money (i.e., lose on a bluff or too early on). This way, when you do have a good hand some with lesser hands will believe you may be bluffing when you raise or call and will stick with you. If you win on a bluff, you don't have to show anyone what you had, and don't let them see (You may have to personally mix your cards into the deck depending on who you're playing with). Make sure you fold pretty early if there are few prospects. Don't let anyone pressure you to stay in just to be a good sport. They just want you to add to the pot they think they're sure to win.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
when playing tournament style, the thing to remember is that anyone can play the good hand well. To be in at the end, you have to NOT play the bad ones. If you can mitigate the losses while winning occasional hands, you will most likely be around at the end of the game.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Originally Posted by eblues
The best low hand in poker is the ace-2-3-4-6.

Wouldn't ace, 2, 3, 4, 5 beat ace, 2, 3, 4, 6?

No. That is a straight.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep, Ace can be the start or the end of a straight.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
SL

I'm gonna wait up to make sure you're okay. smile
Hope you didn't stay up too late. No game last night.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,108
Posts18,502,258
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.