Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to share some of my experiences with these scopes, and get your input too.

Most of the scopes I own or have owned fall into this ($100-$200) category.

The other day I took rifles to the range that wore the following scopes.

Weaver 3x9x38 Classic paid $129
Swift 3x9x40 $119
Leupold Vari X 2 3x9x40 $199
Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 $99

I have owned these scope for several years. I'll rate them in several categories

Optical Clarity/Quality (On 9 power i was reading the smaller words on a real estate sign at about 200 yards): Weaver, Swift, Leupold, Bushnell (the first two were much better than the second two)

Precision adjustments (do they do what they are supposed to): Weaver, Leupold, Swift, Bushnell (1st three were close)

Freedom from glare (with sun behind me how much glare was on the lens): Weaver, Leupold, Bushnell, Swift (1st two were good, Bushnell bearable, Swift-annoying glare)

Low light capability (which one would allow me to make out antlers in fading light): Leupold, Weaver, Bushnell, Swift

Warranty: All have lifetime warranties, but Swift can be exchanged across the counter at any Swift dealer.

Other mid priced scopes I have or have used are Redfield Trackers and Simmons Aetecs.

One Simmons Aetec was awesome in all regards, the other one was a good scope, but was a step or two behind in the above performance categories. The Trackers are pretty good, but at the same price as the Weaver, I wouldn't buy another.

I'd have to say that the Weaver classic is my favorite scope. For $70 more, I certainly wouldn't buy another Vari x 2 (or its successor). I got what I paid for with the Bushnell (an OK scope). I can't figure out the glare on the Swift. If I cup my hand around the rear lens to block the light from hitting the lens it is as good as the others in low light/sun behind me situations. It does have the warranty, so I could return it to my local dealer for an exchange.

I know I can get better performance by spending more money, but apparently the $100-$200 segment is very competetive. Leupold has started offering a Rifleman series to compete. Nikon is offering a Pro-Staff. New scopes from Sightron, Winchester, and Hunter are ringing in in the Mid $100's. Burris FF2's and the Bushnell Elite 3200's can be had for under $200 bucks.

In my eyes this price range begins to offer quality scopes, not the disposable package gun quality stuff typically found for 50-60 bucks.

I'm interested in hearing of others experiences with mid- priced scopes.

Paul

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two 3200 Elite's, I really like them. Mine are moutned on a 3006 and a 270. I also have a variX111 2.5x8 on a 260 rem. Today at the range I was switching the leupold for the Bushnell to see bullet holes at 100 yards from the 260. I don't see what all the fuss is about with leupold. I know all about the warranty, but Bushnell replace one of the 3200's the windage adjustment broke on. The adjustment for both are quite precise, I have used the Leupold a whole lot but I am not sure it's any better than the 3200 for my use. It has much more eye relief, but other than that I certainly woudn't pay double what I paid for the 3200's. In Canada Elite 3200 3x9 is about $300 cdn and the Leupold is over $700.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, what did you decide?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I really miss Weaver and Nikon.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A lot has changed in the 20 years since the 1st post. I still like the Burris FF-II in that price range. They used to be $199, but I've seen them selling for $160-$180 lately

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
A lot has changed in the 20 years since the 1st post. I still like the Burris FF-II in that price range. They used to be $199, but I've seen them selling for $160-$180 lately

Has it ever changed. I hate that Weaver is gone. I have one at this point. They were solid for the money. In the interim Leupold picked up Redfield and started making the Revolution line in the USA. I have 4 of those. Bummer they are gone too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of old Weavers around, often for little cash. I have a K4 that I paid about $70 for IIRC, almost perfect but for a tiny chip in the edge of the objective lens. I sealed that with some thick super-glue to ensure no leaks. I bought it for a .357 rifle, but the combo was pretty heavy so it sits in MT rings waiting for work. If it broke, I’d just toss it and find another as repairs are way more than they cost.

Very pleased so far with that bargain 4500 1-4, still available for $125. An E1 3-9x50 was $100 plus shipping not long ago. It ain’t a Trijicon, but it works well.

Interesting that there are still workable scopes in the same price range as when Pedal Paul began this thread during the reign of Little Bush.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not sure I own a scope that I paid more than $200 for. A bunch of FullfieldII, a Droptine, VariX-II. variX-III, K4, Sightron SII, and a couple of Buckmasters. I have had problems with 2 but the rest have been good. I don’t dial and a long shot would be 100 yards so I’m not testing or stressing the capabilities of the scope

For what I do and where I hunt, the Fullfield have been flawless. Honestly never had to adjust the Fullfields or Sightron since mounted. Truly set and forget thus far. I’d love to have a high dollar scope and maybe I’m naive but I’m not sure what I’d gain for what I’m doing

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JMR40

Has it ever changed. I hate that Weaver is gone. I have one at this point. They were solid for the money. In the interim Leupold picked up Redfield and started making the Revolution line in the USA. I have 4 of those. Bummer they are gone too.

The Burris FFII 3-9x40 has not changed much at all in the last 26 years. But went from USA manufacture, to the Phillipines. The coatings and outside appearance has changed a small amount, but the way the scope functions is exactly the same as they have been since their introduction in the late 90's. It's still a bargain at it's price point. The first one I bought was $175.00 in 1998. The last one I bought was $99.99 a year ago. Sad they are being discontinued though, as they have a good following, for obvious reasons. Soon, they will be in the $200.00 price range, when you can find them. Much like the older American made FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Add in gloss, and you'll be paying over $230.00.

As for Weaver, there were some good ones made back in the day. Those were the ones made by LOW, like the V16 4-16x42 that I have:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
These are excellent scopes. I actually paid $100.00 for this scope, a few years ago, but it's worth much more than that.

The Bushnell elite series are excellent scopes too, but you will rarely find one in the $200.00 and less range. However, I did see a nice 4200 2.5-10x40 Bausch and Lomb for $169.95 the other day. I could have bought it for $150.00. That is a stellar deal for that rugged scope. Rain guard worked great, and those scopes are known for putting up with high levels of recoil without failure. Very solid and reliable scopes, with decent glass. If you can find one for $200.00, you better snag it.

Leupold. Good luck finding a good one in the $200.00 range, unless you know where to look. It's just not going to happen!!! I'm talking the Vari-X IIc models. Especially the gloss and silver ones. They hold their value extremely well, and they are good robust scopes that Leupold built a solid reputation on. I'd buy one of these way before anything made these days. That includes the Leupold/Redfields. The old saying goes, and is true, "they just don't make them like that anymore!!".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like used B&L and Bushnell Scopechief scopes WITHOUT the Command Post reticle change option. The 2.5-8x32 is a particular favorite.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Japan made B&L, the Japan made Weavers, the Leupold made Redfield as well as the Burris Fullfield scopes were all hard to beat.
My use being in the flat woods I have no need to dial so once the scope is zeroed that's it, aside from just shooting for enjoyment.
Paul, I think this was your first post... just had to drag you away from the wheel thread. wink

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have 2 Weaver V9s a V7 and a 3x9 rimfire AO. They all adjust as marked or really close. They stay zeroed. I have had all of them 15 to 20 years. I have 2 Burris Fullfield11s last one I paid < 110 for on Amazon. They adjust as advertised and stay zeroed. I have scopes that cost 4 times as much that never adjusted anywhere close to what they were supposed to and don't stay zeroed in the safe. I have watched other people try to sight in cheap Bushnells and couldn't do it. I was always afraid to try one after watching them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Burris Fullfields are nice for the money in today's scopes. I'm not comparing them to a current Fullfield, but as far as cheap scopes I've had excellent reliability and function from the old Japan made Tasco's. Have two 3-9's yet that I've had for a LONG time. Been on everything under the sun and still work as intended. One of them is currently on a 22, the other on a 6mm.

I just recently bought a Japan made 4X Tasco on the classifieds here for $20. Don't know which gun I'll put it on yet, but I guarantee it will get used and I bet it will track and hold zero.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not the same as the LOW made scopes of a few years ago

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You got that right. Always thought they were the best bang for the buck.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am surprised to see the Leupold Rifleman listed in a 20 year old post. I did not know they had been around that long. I understand they compare with the VX-2.

I have not paid over $200 for any scope in my safe, all purchased new. Several 3-9 VX 2, a 3.5-10 VX 3, several Burris FF II 4.5-14 and a couple 3-9, a couple Bushnell 3-9 4200 elite, and a couple Vortex Viper 6.5-20.

Leupold had a hell of a clearance on VX 2 and VX 3 a few years ago. I picked up one 3-9 VX 2 at Walmart for $145, then managed to get the display model for $74 a couple weeks later.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
The Japan made B&L, the Japan made Weavers, the Leupold made Redfield as well as the Burris Fullfield scopes were all hard to beat.
My use being in the flat woods I have no need to dial so once the scope is zeroed that's it, aside from just shooting for enjoyment.
Paul, I think this was your first post... just had to drag you away from the wheel thread. wink

g

All good bud!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
ive got a simmons 8 point 3-9 scope, i think it was 50.00. it tracks better than any new leupold freedom i got and easier to zero. i went back to an old chief scope 3-9 on my 22-250, gave the leupolds away what a disapointment

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Those are not the LOW Weavers we're speaking of.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,495 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,679
Posts18,493,859
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.