Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I purchased a new VX-III from a local retail store a few months ago and did not realize at the time that the VX-3 was a newer/different scope. Can someone please tell me what improvements were supposedly made to the VX-3 that makes it different/better?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...George Orwell.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are changes such as different coatings and a different erector system. I would not fret over it, you would probably have to look very hard to see the difference in the field.

NRA Patron Member.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
While the differences between the VXII and the VXIII were pretty small, the only signifcant one being the finger tip adjustment dials on the VXIII, the differences between the VXIII and the VX3 are significant.
The VX3 uses Leupold's super tough Diamond Coat Coatings which are many times harder than conventional coatings. They have also made some improvements in controlling stray light inside the scope. If you use your scopes alot and have to clean them often, this is well worth having.
The scope is purged with a different gas mixture which is suppose to improve it's waterproof quality. The adjustment dials use dual springs and improved internal parts which make them more accurate, and longer lasting for those that do alot of dialing.
As far as I know, there are no improvements in ruggedness.
The VX3, 3.5-10X40 model has been reported to have both shorter and closer together eye relief qualities, basically a fixed eye relief design with a difference of about .4 between 3.5X and 10X. Don't know if the other VX3 models have also been changed.
Is there a difference in what you can see ? I've got a FX3 and some older M8, 6X42's. Nothing I can see in daylight. Haven't run them side by side at night.
I understand the above mentioned VX3 now resolves as well as a Zeiss Conquest 3-8X40. A small improvement, but one you can see if carefully tested. E

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This may not be complete, but my take on the differences between the two is, the VX-3 has had some internal improvements done to handle stray light, and added improved adjustments. IIRC, the glass remains unchanged between the VX-III and the VX-3. The fast focus eye piece may be an improvement too. I don't have a VX-3 handy to check.
Others, more knowledgeable may have some additions.
I think the difference in price between the two indicates that there really isn't that much difference w/r improvements in the VX-3.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think the difference in price between the two indicates that there really isn't that much difference w/r improvements in the VX-3.

Or could it be Leupold got the message that the 4200 and Conquest were eating into their market share at this performance level and they better offer up more at a relatively familiar price?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have both and hunted the new VX3 2.5-8 this year in Wyoming and NH.The scope also saw a bunch of range time.

I am told the VX3 has dual erector springs(or whatever you call them),instead of just one spring as in the VX III;they also supposedly did something to the windage and elevation assemblies or some such to make them more repeatable and reliable.I can only tell you mine sighted easily,handled the travel and hunting well,and helped put the bullets where they should go at about 340 yards out west.

To my eyes, the VX3 optics seem more contrasty than the VX III's,ie., I could see better with the glass on the VX3,including right until "dark thirty" during some gloomy New England afternoons out to 300-350 yards or so.My two cents...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lol... how many times will this be brought up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus

The scope is purged with a different gas mixture which is suppose to improve it's waterproof quality. The adjustment dials use dual springs and improved internal parts which make them more accurate, and longer lasting for those that do alot of dialing.
As far as I know, there are no improvements in ruggedness
. E

Actually, the different gas mixture has very little to do with waterproofing. It has a different molecular structure that makes it less prone to leakage vs. straight nitrogen gas. The newer gas mixture also is said to help internal fogging when going quickly to and from large temperature changes or what Leupold refers to it as "thermal shock".

While the use of dual erector springs does make the adjustments more accurate it also should make the scope more durable as well as it holds the erector assembly more firmly in place and at two points instead of one. That is a good thing.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think what we need here is a detailed statement from Leupold on the improvements of the VX-3 as compared to the VX-III.
I looked thru my files and can find nothing detailing the differences, like I have that lists improvements of the VX-III over the Vari-X III.
Bob brings up a good point about the springs. I wasn't aware of that.
I'm trying to compile a list of the differences now.
Guys above have other good points too.
One thing I do know, and that is, the VX-3 I recently bought in 1.5-5x had adjustment knobs that were virtually impossible to turn... :(I sent it back to Leupold on 23Dec for them to "fix".
Same song as with the power adjustment ring on a VX-II in 3-9x I have. It needs to go back for that issue too. But, the power adjust ring on my VX-3 is marginally adequate, so I didn't lean on Leupold to have that "fixed".
My thrust in all of my recent rants about Leupold's quality is to get them to correct these deficiences during the production process, rather than sending the problems to the customer, forcing him return the new scope for "fixing". I consider that BS.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The hard to turn power selector ring is kind of a Leupold trademark. Someone should ask them why that is before they patent it as an innovation.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
In the past 3 VX-3's I have bought, I feel as though I'm the Research and Development Department for Leupold. I really like the VX-3's but have to purchase them to test them is getting ridiculous. These were purchased over a 3 month period. I like Leupold but am becoming less fond of them.....All 3 were returned for repair and 2 are going back again! It's getting to be an inconvenience to purchase new.

Venting complete!

The VX-3 is a step up on the VX-III in resolution, clarity and overall easier on the eyes.

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't worry one iota about Leupold and the difference between VX-3 verses VX-2 verses VX-111 etc. I purcashed several Leupold scope a couple years ago in VX-2 and VX-3 models. Now after being in the field, I could see NO difference between either of them, well perhaps just a tad in a very low light situation but come on hunters, how many shoot deer in the dark? I just don't need that extra 2 to 5 minutes of being able to see in the field. Next time I wanted a Leupold scope it was the VX-2 that came to my home. I saved a lot of money and never needed those so called extra great scope coatings.

Last edited by Tonk; 12/28/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now after being in the field, I could see NO difference between either of them, well perhaps just a tad in a very low light situation but come on hunters, how many shoot deer in the dark? I just don't need that extra 2 to 5 minutes of being able to see in the field.

The simple fact is that many deer and elk are killed during the first and last few minutes of legal light.And legal light is from one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset in some locations.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but when you try and search for anything with Leupold in it on the optics forum, a gazillion results pop up.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...George Orwell.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
Now after being in the field, I could see NO difference between either of them, well perhaps just a tad in a very low light situation but come on hunters, how many shoot deer in the dark? I just don't need that extra 2 to 5 minutes of being able to see in the field.

The simple fact is that many deer and elk are killed during the first and last few minutes of legal light.And legal light is from one hour before sunrise until one hour after sunset in some locations.

For years I was not what I would call a "low light" hunter,because I climbed,and walked pretty constantly,shot much of my game in full daylight,or otherwise pretty favorable light conditions,etc.So a scope's low light performance was not very important to me,and te emphasis for me was on light carry weight and enough power to get the job done....

But.....the last few years finds me spending more time in Alberta each season;some of this hunting still involves the same kind of hunting I always did;however,much of the hunting(the really important times of the day)are generally done under declining light conditions;and mature Canadian bucks of either species tend to be VERY nocturnal,sneak out into those fields at the very last moment available,and it seems the bigger they are,the later they show.....

...to the point where inability to see has cost a buddy a chance at a couplke of real muy grandes that he could not see well enough to shoot......

My best Alberta buck was taken at last light,but running across a field against snow....I could have killed him through a coke bottle....but next time, I might not have snow,and I might not get so lucky.....

I am paying more attention to low light performance now,than I did in years past....so I agree with Stubblejumper on this issue....he lives where I go to hunt.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Tonk
I don't worry one iota about Leupold and the difference between VX-3 verses VX-2 verses VX-111 etc. I purcashed several Leupold scope a couple years ago in VX-2 and VX-3 models. Now after being in the field, I could see NO difference between either of them, well perhaps just a tad in a very low light situation but come on hunters, how many shoot deer in the dark? I just don't need that extra 2 to 5 minutes of being able to see in the field. Next time I wanted a Leupold scope it was the VX-2 that came to my home. I saved a lot of money and never needed those so called extra great scope coatings.

If you see no difference between the VX-II and VX-3, I don't know as I would want to hunt around you!! I could give Iota as to what you can see but, obviously not much...

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by brianc142
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but when you try and search for anything with Leupold in it on the optics forum, a gazillion results pop up.

Call Leupold or possibly go on line and ask for a free current product catalog. It will pretty much answer your questions on VX-3 upgrades on two pages.

Or call and ask a technical rep. and get it straight from Leupold. Will not be the first time they have been asked.

Not that difficult with a little effort.

Last edited by battue; 12/28/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RDFinn
The hard to turn power selector ring is kind of a Leupold trademark. Someone should ask them why that is before they patent it as an innovation.

I have Leupys from each of the last four decades, and all my Vari-X II's/VX-II's in 2x7 since the 80's were hard to turn. My Vari-X II 3-9's, dating from the late 70's through the late 90's are not hard to turn. My Vari-X III 2.5-8's from the 90's are easy to turn, and the "knob" on the magnification ring sure is nice--Luepy should put those on the VX-II's.

As an aside, my 1978 vintage 3-9 Luepy has plenty of lowlight capability--I can't really see where there is an appreciable advantage over my latest Leupys.........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I, for one, have not found this so called "dying" at the last of the light by rifle scopes. That includes going well into full darkness after sun down or long before legal shooting hours at sunrise.
If the scope is properly focused, and the magnification is properly selected, they work. All of them. Even the older scopes with the so called single coatings.
The differences are very much magnifcation related. The more magnifcation you can use, the further you can see under a given set of light conditions. Light conditions vary alot, BTW.
The other thing is whatever limitation your eyes have. As it gets darker, you turn down the magnmification to increase the exit pupil. But, if your eyes have lost some of your night vision ability, presumably you can't use anything with a large exit pupil. I say presumably because mine work all the way down to 6X with a 40mm scope. That's on nights too dark to use 7X on the same scope.
Another thing some don't understand is the role of the reticle. It seems that some of them fade out before you loose too much of the image to make a shot.
Still another is the quant idea that if you can see certain fine details in your expensive binoculars, your scope should also show you the same details. Not always.
Just a few things to keep in mind when reasearching your needs in this area. E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That's because you are a "Night Seeing Marvel"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.