Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Contacted my gun dealer(First Stop Guns in Rapid Ciy) and asked him to order a #1-S in 300 H&H for me. They said that none of their distributors had any, and did not know when they would get any.
The rifles are in the Ruger 2010 catalog.

I emailed Ruger and asked when they would be available. The response was that production had not been scheduled. I then called Ruger, and talked to a very helpful CS lady. She said that they did not have any info on when manufacturing would be scheduled, but then she transferred me to the sales department, where they told me that manufacturing would begin in "60 to 90 days."

I hope that is not a rolling 60-90 days, and in any event, I took a chance and placed an order with First Stop. My guess is that Ruger won't begin production until they have a certain number of orders. Of course if customers can't find out when or if they will get their rifles, they may not order.

I love the #1's I have, and would love to try out a 300 H&H. We'll see if it ever works out.

Steve

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Well, that's very interesting, because I bought a 1-S .300 H&H at Capital Sports & Western in Helena 3-4 weeks ago. It was one of a pair they got in, and they said they had some more coming.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Steve,

I ordered a #1-S in 300 H&H from my local dealer a fortnight before Christmas. The importer to Australia has given an arrival date of June/July into the country but this is usual when you order a specific rifle. The last rifle I ordered (a Ruger MkII left hand action in 25-06) took 12 months to get here. Ah the pleasures of living in the colonies.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John and Wantok,

Well now I don't have a clue as to what is going on at Ruger and wonder if they know their ass from third base. Can't figure out how they could estimate that they will not start production for 60-90 days when in fact they have already built and delivered some of them.

I'll not be at the SHOT this year or I would ask Ruger for an explanation. But I have no confidence that I would get a straight answer if I asked the question.

Anybody have any ideas?

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It may be that the ones available now are the special Bodington issues (matte finish, Circassian wood, express sights) and not the cataloged run-of-the-mill 1S. I also seem to recall that there was a recent uncatalogued run of 300 H&H in the 1B configuration. Maybe they did some at that time as 1S too.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 01/15/10.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, this is the production model, with semi-shiny blue, standard wood and folding rear sight.

I am a regular customer at Capital Sports and they called me when the two rifles came in. I asked them to hold the one with the nicer wood for me and picked it up an hour or so later. Mine has some nice figure on the top half of the butt but it is by no means the best wood I have seen on a production No. 1. The other rifle's wood was quite plain.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John,

Do you have an impression of your rifle yet? Accuracy, load data, bullet choices?

The #1 would seem to be an excellent fit for the 300 H&H cartridge that would combine nostalgia with modern powders,pressures, and bullets. Plus, I just like #1s.

Steve

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
John,

Do you have an impression of your rifle yet? Accuracy, load data, bullet choices?

The #1 would seem to be an excellent fit for the 300 H&H cartridge that would combine nostalgia with modern powders,pressures, and bullets. Plus, I just like #1s.

Steve

Steve,

Who are you using for your FFL transfers?

Greg

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Greg,
PM sent.
Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger has a way of doing things that keep people guessing, especially when it comes to the Number One.
Knowing that newly catalogued guns are almost never available right away, I'll bet my limited gambing money that these rifles are indeed part of a pre-catalog run. They have done this with other #1 offerings in the past. The 1A 7x57 started as an uncatalogued run in 1976, as did the 1S 218 Bee and 1B 22 Hornet before they made it into the catalog. There are other examples I'm sure, but memory fails me at the moment.
At any rate, I like the older guns, but would seriously have to consider a 1S in 300 H&H. It doesn't get much more classic than that in a #1. Can the 303 Brit. and 32-40 be far behind? ;-)

Update: I will pull in my horns on the second sentence above, because I see that the #1 in 480 Ruger is showing up for sale now too. Maybe Ruger finally has it together with catalog accouncements coinciding with production. Still, they have had a history of producing some caliber/configurations before actually making them a catalog item. I'm looking forward to reports on the new 300 H&H.
John - I liked your single shot article in the latest Guns magazine. Can we anticipate something in the near future that includes the 1S 300 H&H?

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 01/15/10.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey John, I must have been right behind you at Capital Sports. When I walked in they grabbed the other one off the rack to hand me as I walked up. They told me you had just bought the first one. I've been telling myself for years if Ruger ever comes out with a 1-S in 300 H&H, I will buy the first one I see, so it is now in my safe. I figured you had picked the one with the better wood, and would add the wood to metal fit on this one is not as good as my other No.1's.

I'd be curious to hear how yours shoots - I've only had mine out once so far. I seem to be getting vertical stringing, possibly due to a forend bedding issue.

Jerry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'll try to answer several questions at once:

I've only been to range once with my rifle. It was stringing shots up and down, so I took it home and made a couple of simple forend modifications that usually help (make sure the rear of the forend isn't pressing against the front of the action, epoxy bed the tip of the forend channel) but haven't been able to get back to the range since, mostly because of weather.

I have fooled around with .300 H&H's before (and have another one, a Model 70 Classic rebarreled by Dan Pederson at www.cutrifle.com in a Super Grade stock) and they generally reposnd to the same powders as the .300 Winchester: the 4350's and 4831's, plus RL-19 and RL-22. I generally run 180's in mine but 165's and 200's also work well. This time I also loaded up Ramshot Hunter and RL-25 to see what they will do, but as I said before, haven't been back to the range yet.

I try to write about single-shot rifles as much as I can, but magazines will only take so many articles on the subject. I doubt we'll see one in GUNS again for a while. I am doing a piece on "classic cartridges" for SPORTS AFIELD which would be a natural for this rifle.

John Steinbeck
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've had one of the Boddingtons in 300 H&H for several months now, have shot it enough to know something about it - it's far and away the most accurate #1 I've had, and I've had several over the years. I expected the need to do some adjusting (as MD notes above, which worked well on the others I have), but this one shot sub-MOA right out of the box. It has a marvelous trigger to boot. In addition, it shot 150s, 165s and 180s very well, and to nearly the same point of impact at 100 (mostly IMR 4350 powder). Hard not to like...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It appears Kimber isn't the only manufacturer who can't come up with the facts. I think we all can understand unforeseen problems in manufacturing but when one doesn't know what has been already built - jeez how bush league. Must be former government employees!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB,

I've had pretty good results with Ramshot Magnum with 180's in my Rem 721 300 H&H. May be worth a try, if others fail to do the trick.

Jeff

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I am a regular customer at Capital Sports and they called me when the two rifles came in.

I hear you are on speed-dial there. smile

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For certain things!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A number of years ago a friend who works at a local shop called me at work saying "You need to come in here, you need to come in today." IIRC I went in on my lunch hour. When I got there he showed me a very special Python at a price I didn't even have to think on. I'll never get another deal like that if I live to be a hundred.

Good friends are always good to have; good friends who work at gun shops are a priceless.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John,
Thanks for the info. Now I need to get the rifle. I've already ordered the brass. I'm going to give it one more try of contacting Ruger and see if I can get some accurate data.

I'll post what I get.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve I ordered two No. 1 S's in 300H&H from Jerry's Sports Center back in late Dec. They were the last two in stock, as I had to get them from two different locations, JSC has 5 locations. Both are the current production models (1S300HH) and had nice wood. So they have been produced and distributed to wholesalers, as JB stated above. I have not shot mine yet as one of them was able to stay in my personal gun safe. They other one I sold. I did get the dies and brass and plan to run 4350 with 180's in it. I hope it shoots. Good luck on your search, I did check JSC and they are currentlyout of stock.
Steve

"Life is tough"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steve,
Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know the barrel length BUT if they were smart enough to go 26" (shorter than a bolt gun with a 22") my favorite load is RL 25 behind a 168 TSX. I have owned far too many 300 H&Hs and am now down to one, a 1952 721AC with an ancient BalVar 5 on it. Having the 26" barrel, it can poop out that 168 at almost 3100 with very good accuracy for a "totally obsolete cartridge, in a totally obsolete rifle with a totally obsolete scope". I still have the "Jackson" framed that I won from the guy with the 22" 300 WSM who thought his would be faster through the chronograph. H&H knows how to build cartridges that work ALL the time.
244, 300, 375 & 400.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love First Stop Guns! Definitely the best gunshop I've ever been in!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yup! Knowledgeable and helpful staff, great selection of guns, and fair prices. I visit there every year on my way to Wyoming.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Have gotten no response from the Ruger CEO concerning availability of #1-S in 300 H&H.

Steve

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have one of the limited run of 86 rifles that were released about 10 years ago. I bought it about three years ago, still NIB.

I could not find brass, but I managed to find three boxes of old, old, old Super-X 180gr Silvertips. It shoots those into MOA. The first three-shot group went into .75". Not bad for 30+ year old factory loads.

Made one elk hunt with it, but alas, the elk didn't cooperate.

Hopefully this summer I'll work up a load with the 168TSX.

I certainly understand why you guys want one.

Jim
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We had one on the shelf at the shop I work at here in Central Texas, and my son bought it yesterday for next year's elk hunt! It is a sexy rifle! I can't wait to shoot it. I dunno what scope he is going to put on it.

It was amazing the thing set on the shelf for months! Very few here really appreciate this fine old ctg in an exceptional rifle like this #1-S. And those that do already own something in the caliber! I had an old Sako Sporter Magnum in this caliber and like a real dumb-azz I traded it off for something I REALLY needed!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys.

If anyone sees one on the shelf, and they don't want to buy it, would you please let me know?

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Gunsamerica shows Hendershots has one.and Lipseys shows they have one. A little more than I care to spend this month.

sidepass

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
sidepass,

I've bought a bunch of rifles from Hendershot's. I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks,
Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend Steve, there's a doohicky grin available from Brownells that helps to eliminate vertical stringing inherent to the No.1.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16944/Product/RUGER_reg___1_ACCURIZER

Alternative is to d&t the spring hanger and install a screw to apply pressure against the barrel which will also make the forend free floating.Did the latter to mine and BINGO !!

Saves ya 60 bucks as well.

Call me soon to ward off the snow demons. laugh

BTW, Ruger is notorious for non cataloged and product runs on a whim it seems.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Steve,

You need to check Hendershots shop hours as they have changed before you ride up there. You may have to wait for the snow to melt.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Denny,

Thanks for the #1 tip. I've got a bunch of #1's and some shoot, and some don't. I'll get the kit from Brownell's. I'll call you today. Am planning to get snowed in again. Just hope I don't lose power again. That sucks big time.

Doc,
I'm going to call Hendershot's before I drive up there. Have gotten to know them fairly well and bought a lots of guns from them. They will hold the rifle for me. But I did check Gunsamerica yesterday, and they did not have the rifle that Hendershot's was supposed to be selling.

Thanks,
Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Steve

Whats snow? Its 35degrees C (95degrees F) here and humid. What a way to have a couple of days off work.
Let us know how the Brownells doohicky kit goes, a couple of pictures too if you get the chance.
Still waiting for the .300 H&H to arrive in the country.

cheers

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
wantok,

Called Hendershot's and they don't have the rifle.

Your weather is upside down from ours. Don't know why you do that(grins).

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kimber7man,

Thanks for the tip. The starting price for the rifle is $1229.95. The dealer I've ordered my rifle from will charge me $920. But, the dealer can't get any right now. I think I'll wait. But the auction rifle is tempting.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 02/12/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just talked to my dealer who said they may have the rifles by the end of this month or in March. We'll see.

Steve

T
T
Check with Chuck Boggs in W. Va. He advertises in the Gun Digest. I just picked up a 1-S in 300 H&H from him at way less than retail.

Tigre

Tigre
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tigre,

The latest copy of the Gun Digest that I have is 2006, and he is not in there. I googled the name, and did not get anything. Do you have a phone number or email that I could try?

Thanks for the tip.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tigre,
Just found it.
Thanks,
Steve

P
P
If it is any indication, I have a #1 that is a 300H&H rechambered from a 30-06, and it shoots great with the right ammo. Shoots under an inch with Winchester factory ammo, but about three inches with Remingtons. I finally settled with handloads of IMR4350 behind 150 grain Nosler BT, those shot about 3/4 inches at a hundred.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7x57STEVE: Geez, well, here it is. You, me, we're looking for these damn 300 H&H's from Ruger all over the map, and my hunting buddy Dave gives me a call monday eve, and he's GOT ONE!!! Found it in a gun shop in Ventura Co. Arghhhhhhh!!! The luck of that guy! yes, its a new one. He wants to shoot 180 Hornady and 200gr Partition's using IMR-4350 or H-4831. Well, here's hoping we find ours soon. I can't take this much longer. Tom

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tom,

For a rifle that Ruger has said they will not be able to deliver until April at the earliest, there does seem to be a fair number of them out there. Wonder how they escaped!

I may have a track on one now, but there were two others that looked promising and they did not pan out. We'll see, and good luck to you.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tom,
PM sent.
Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tigre,
PM sent.
Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Found and bought a #1-S in 300 H&H from Chuck Boggs in Charleston,WV. It is being shipped out today. Chuck's phone # is 304-550-8700 and he owns the gun store. Excellent prices and good service. Chuck is a man of few words, but he does deliver.

My thanks and gratitude to Tigre for the tip. If it were not for the Fire, and Tigre, I'd still be dreaming instead of planning for loading some brass and hunting Spring bear.

PM me if you need more info.

Steve

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We want a picture posted when you take delivery...we want to see the wood.

It will be a few weeks before the snow melts before you get to the rifle range.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doc,
Will do with posting the pictures, but only with help from Pugs. I'm a computer and electronic Neanderthal.

Steve

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I'm a computer and electronic Neanderthal.

Steve

Hardly.

BTW - I saw a #1 that has be SORELY tempted the other day...

Gotta avoid this sickness... again.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sean,

You know the best way to get rid of a temptation is to give in to it.

Works for me. Try it- You won't regret it, and you also end up with another rifle that you really deserve.

Check with Scotch. I know Scotch would want you to have it.

Steve

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sean...hes right...as I posted when I first handled one, the 1-S In .300 H&H is the sexiest factory rifle Ive ever seen....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimber7man,

Thanks for the tip. The starting price for the rifle is $1229.95. The dealer I've ordered my rifle from will charge me $920. But, the dealer can't get any right now. I think I'll wait. But the auction rifle is tempting.

Steve

Steve,

I saw that you got one, but for anyone else looking for one, I found this one on Gunbroker tonight, it looks to be in the price range you quoted...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158379592

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Kimber7man,

I paid $909, which included shipping, to the dealer that Tigre vectored me to. But as I mentioned earlier, I'm very grateful for all of the guys at the Fire who went out of their way to help. We've got an invaluable source of support here at the Fire.

Thanks again guys.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 1-S Kudu model has a listed weight of 8.25lbs and the 1-S (standard for want of a better word)) model has a listed weight of 7.25lbs. Both with 26" barrels. Why the difference? Is it a misprint on Ruger's website? Have any of you fellas who have bought one weighed it?

I think I'm about to order one next week. Just went to do it a few minutes ago and the gunshop had closed for the weekend. Gives me another couple of days to think about it some more.

I'd be real interested to see what they actually do weigh.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
E,

If you got that weight from the Ruger site or their catalog, someone in their marketing dept, needs to bone up on the true specs of their rifles.

The weight of 7.25lbs for a no. 1S since that is the listed weight for the no.1A which only has a light 22 inch barrel.

I used to own a no. 1s in .338. I damn sure was not 7.25 lbs. Try 8.5lbs (at least)...

Now, the no 1S in 45-70 has a 22 inch barrel ,I believe and with a 45 cal hole in it, I would believe that caliber of no 1S weighs 7.25 lbs.

No way in heck the 26" guns do, though.

Just as well. 8.5 lbs is a fine weight for a .300 H&H rifle with a 26" tube.

Last edited by jim62; 02/19/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7x57STEVE,

Glad for you that you got one. I know you will enjoy it. Good price too!

My #!B -- a punched-out .30-06 -- shoots beautifully and the traditional style of the rifle just fits that great old caliber.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 02/20/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
jim62,

I saw the apparent weight error in the catalog, and figured it was wrong. At the least, I hoped it was wrong. I agree with your estimate of the actual weight, and will weigh mine when I get it and post the results.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
1B,

Thanks for the congrats.

Am hoping it has great wood, but it's not likely.

My most important issues are a clean and light trigger pull(again, not likely) and a forend that does not need to be modified(somewhat likely)

I'll post a report to the Fire when I get the rifle.

Hope all is well.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, Please let me know when you get your 300 H&H. This Sunday, I'll be going to the range and help my buddy Dave put a 4x Leupold on his 300 H&H[the one I told you about] and sight that bad boy in! Untill I get squared away, this will have to do. I will give a range report. Tom

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tom,

Will do.

I'll be putting a Leupold FX-3 6X42 with LR Duplex on mine. The rifle should arrive around the end of the week and then I have to load for it.

I think I would enjoy mine a lot more if you got one too. Hope it works out for you soon.

A range report from you would be much appreciated.

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My hats off to you fellows who had the persistence, patience,
luck or whatever to get one... Back around Christmas, I had the
dough saved up and a major burning desire for a 300 H&H No.1,
but could not find one to save my life. Don't think I have ever
lusted after a particular rifle so badly in my life, and that is
pretty bad. I'm talking, wake up in the middle of the night
thinking about it. Ended up getting kinda soured by the whole
experience and buying a 9,3 x74R. After calming down,
I still greatly admire the 300, but perhaps this was providence -
I'm pretty sure I would have NEVER ventured off into a 9,3
if not "provoked" ha ha - and it has become a instant favorite
of mine. Maybe another day.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

If it weren't for the some guys here at the Fire, I never would have found the rifle I'm getting.(See my prior posts). I go to the SHOT pretty regularly, and have gotten to know a fair number of dealers and suppliers. I did the rounds of them, and none of them could come up with the rifle I want. But the Fire guys did.

Hope you enjoy your new rifle, and the #1 could still be in your future.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chuck Boggs came through for me in 1997 when I was looking for a .257 Roberts. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat, too.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Steve - yes, it looks like this is the place to be for a
guy with a No.1 addiction, especially in classic calibers cool Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of yours
also. Never can tell, if it's meant to be I might luck into
one of the 300's someday - or a 6mm Rem 1V, or a ????
I like them ALL grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,
I'm a fan of #1s. Already have a #1-AB in 7x57, 1V 6mm, 1B in 257 Bob , a 38-55 and one in 22Hornet. I'm left handed, so they work well for me.

Welcome to the Fire. Lot of good info and people here.

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you. Sure wish I'd have known about this spot earlier!
Sounds like you appreciate the "little different"
calibers too. So far I've only got a 1A in 270 and the 1S - but
my bolt actions are definitely feeling lonely.
When (and if) I come into any more mad money, I'm gonna try to
be patient and wait for the right moment to pick up another
unique one.

Oh - thought I'd share this too. My "want" for "the" 300 in
a Ruger has been simmering since back somewhere in the early
nineties when I was in a local gun shop to pick up a box of
300 Win mag and saw two boxes of 300 H&H sitting up on the
shelf. If I remember correctly, they were the black-box Winchester
"Supremes" with nickle-plated cases.
I asked to look at them, and they were just SO SEXY...
I asked if they were special order for someone, and the fellow
looked kind of sheepish and said "I ordered the wrong thing"
I forget the whole story, but it was either impossible or not
worthwhile monetarily to send them back - I haven't been down
there in years, but wonder if they're still sitting there? grin Anyway, as I was sitting there mesmerized by
them, and realizing they wouldn't fit in any of my standard
length actioned rifles, it occured to me what a perfect fit
they would be in a No.1

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 02/23/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, even tho at present I can't get my 300H&H, this thread has grown about that damn rifle like I couldn't even imagine. Really says something about the rifle/cartridge,ya know. Can't wait for Dave to pull the trigger! Stay tuned! Tom

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,

With your encounter with the 300 H&H ammo, it is clear that you are destined to own a 300H&H rifle. Just a matter of time.

tom,

Good rifle, good cartridge, and great posters have us into three pages.

Good times!

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 02/23/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just picked up my new #1-S in 300 H&H. Here are some observations.

Weight is 8lb on the button.

Wood is fairly decent and I'm pleased with it.

Trigger is very good, and I may not have to improve it.

The scope rings that came with it are too high, and place the scope too far above the receiver. Just called Ruger and they are sending lower rings.

Will post pics when I get the scope mounted, and I can get Pugs to do the electronic and computer stuff.

And I would surely buy another rifle from Chuck Boggs again. See phone # in prior post.

Steve

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Steve,

Are the test loads loaded yet?

Dco

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doc,

Not yet. Will probably start that tomorrow if the weather is crummy, which it is forecast to be.

Lotta fun(if it shoots).

Steve

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steve,

You may regret the lower rings... I've found it hard to load the rifle with low rings. I put high rings on all my #1's and just learned to shoot them like the Europeans with my head erect.

It's a trade-off that I'm willing to give up for the ease of reloading. smile YMMV

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess mileages do vary a lot because I find, with my stumpy neck, that, to get any kind of decently consistent cheek weld on my #1s, the scope has to be as low as possible and still clear the quarter rib. (The cheap-o factory issue rear sights on the As and Ss are no problem as I remove them. They are unuseable for me anyway as they are hard to adjust and disappear altogether in dim light.)

High rings get me stretching off the stock and this unsettles my sight picture through the scope and impedes repeatable POIs.

The only problem I have in reloading is with heavy gloves and that would be true with high mounts too. Hell, just getting to a single round with serious cold weather gloves is a chore.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 02/24/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Edw,

The #-1s that I have all have low scopes, and they seem to work well for me. And I need that cheek- to- stock weld to shoot anywhere near decently.

I've never had to load one quickly. I guess my approach has been to make sure the first shot is done right, and I won't have to hurry a second shot. If it shoots, I'll be using the new #-1 for black bear this spring. And since I carry cold, I'll be practicing to improve my loading skills. This will be my first time hunting bear with a #-1. My previous bear kills were with bolt action 35Whelens and 338-06's.

I have found that when loading a #-1, if I point the muzzle toward the ground, I can drop the cartridge in pretty easily.

Anyway, that's my plan, and thanks for your advice. It is appreciated.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
1b,

Hadn't remembered your stumpy neck until you just mentioned it.(grins)

Hope all is well.

Steve

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey Steve,

Congrats on your new rifle!

I posted elsewhere on the board that the oldest son picked up a nice 1-S weekend before last. Took it home and fired 5 rounds of factory out of it. Shot great! The wrist then developed a little split about 1/2 way up the tang on the right side. Needless to say it went straight back to Ruger. Looked to me like a bad place in the grain.

BN

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BN,

Thanks, and that sure does suck that your son's #-1 had a stock split. I hope that Ruger makes up for it by replacing it with terrific wood.

Steve

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I bet they do! The've been good in the past. Kinda off subject, but I wanted to share this story with all.

Years ago before I went back to work for the state, I worked at the same gunshop I work at parttime now. I was still in the USMCR then and in those days retired USMC General Vernon Magee who lived here (an old "China" Marine who was the asst commandant in like 1956)came in on a regular basis. He was real good friends with Bill Ruger. Ruger used to send him really cool guns thru our shop. I remember the coolest rifle he sent to him about 1981 or so. It was like a cross btwn the #1-A, but heavier like a #1-B and with open sights. Caliber was .32 S&W Long!

BN

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BN,

Good story. It may be just my lack of imagination, but a #-1 in 32 S&W Long is not on my wish list. But I'd sure like to see and shoot one.

Steve

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
BN,
General Megee's rifle was a true 1A and he got it in about 1970.
I owned it once, for a very short time. The General wrote it up in the April 1971 issue of Shooting Times. There is also a good writeup about it in Clayton's Ruger No.1 book. I think Joe Clayton got it from the General, then I bought it from the Collector who got it from Joe.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
WOW!!!! Somehow we ended up with another shipped from Ruger to us in the 80's. I remember it coming in! Heck I even remember holding it! Could there be two different rifles???? Best I remember the latter rifle was a heavier rifle than a 1-A, but had open sights. But that's just the way I remember it. Hell it could have been a std #1-A. I remember us logging it in and the store manager telling us who it was for!

Interesting!!!!!

BN

Founder

WS

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
BN,
Well, that certainly puts a different light on it. I would say Joe Clayton owned the first one by 1980; maybe General Megee had Ruger make him another one in 1981? Would be nice to know if the store records still are around and someone could look it up.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Uno!

I just sent you a PM!

Bob

Founder

WS

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Steve,
Great news that you got your rifle finally. Two .300 H&H's in No1 arrived in the country last week but unfortunately my order was third on the list so the wait goes on. The importer believes it will arrive in the next shipment hopefully. Post a photo will you to help ease the wait.

cheers

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
wantok,

Thanks, and looks like you are getting really close. Hope it arrives soon.

Don't have pictures yet because of my lack of computer and camera skills, but will get a friend to help after I get the lower rings from Ruger and mount the scope.

I do have 50 rounds of brass full-length re-sized, champfered and deburred,and primed along with 15 loaded cartridges ready to shoot, so I've not been wasting my time.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Elvis
The 1-S Kudu model has a listed weight of 8.25lbs and the 1-S (standard for want of a better word)) model has a listed weight of 7.25lbs. Both with 26" barrels. Why the difference? Is it a misprint on Ruger's website? Have any of you fellas who have bought one weighed it?

Hey Elvis you big girl,
Feeling those advancing years are you! I can always let you use that Lithgow .22 single shot of mine if rifle weights are getting to you. Even better give me your rifles including that pretty little 1A in 7x57 and take up lawn bowls! I'll be down in a fortnight so I can pick them up then.

laugh

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Howzit Steve

One positive thing that I can say about the wait is that like you I have had time to purchase a set of dies, a Leupold VXII 2-7 and put an order in for brass. I'm not fussy as to what brand of brass, just will be happy to get some. I hope to get the brass before the rifle arrives so I can have some loads ready to go.

Safe shooting

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Until we get our rifles, it is all foreplay. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there is no substitute for the real thing.

Hope you get yours soon.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wantok
[Hey Elvis you big girl,

laugh

Who are you calling a big girl? Ya big jessy! Had the little 1A 7x57 up the range today and put four Sierras into an inch. That'll do me. Will definately get another No.1 but not the .300H&H I've decided. Might go a 1A in .270 instead. If I want to shoot a .300 I'll just use yours. Thanks mate.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go ahead and get the 300, I've got a 1-A in 270 I could
be arm-twisted into trading ya for it. Probably wouldn't even
ask any boot grin

About the weights, I don't think Ruger allowed for the extra
4" of barrel at all in the 7.25 guestimate.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looked at a #1-S this morning. It was pretty nice. Even though a bit heavier than the light sporter, the balance was really good.
However, there was a hairline at the tip of the forearm against the barrel. It also had a couple of other "box" blemishes as well. The shop owner and I saw that one ring/base assembly had popped out of its box while enroute and was slipping around. The moral of the story is to look them over closely in good light.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Had another 1-S in .300 H&H pass thru my hands today...

DANG! Thats a sexy rifle!!

Ingwe

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shows a lot of restraint there Ingwe! I assume you shouldered it. I thought the balance was really nice considering its an 8 pound rifle. Any surface blemishes?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My #1-S in 300H&H also had the rings flopping loose in the box, but there were no blemishes on the rifle.

Sure as hell I have a lot of blemishes on me though. It's an age thing!

Steve

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Don't make any mention of rings over on the Yahoo
Ruger No.1 group wink I made casual mention while on another
topic that mine and another fellows were missing rings as
delivered, and got 'em all stirred up. According to them
over several decades, No. 1's with iron sights were not shipped
with rings. Nobody as much as out and said it, but I got the
distinct feeling my credibility was being questioned...
lots of "well, he SAYS" and "IF it's like he says" stuff.
BTW, my rifle did have the big paper hang tag tie-wrapped to
the trigger guard saying something about including rings,
a so-many-dollar value. But no rings. I called Ruger and they sent a set right out, only asked for the serial #.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My dealer is going to call someone at Ruger that he knows and advise him of this problem he is starting to see. Jees, 10 seconds with a staple in each blister pack would solve any freelance engraving by a loose ring. I hope they aren't getting sloppy to keep up with demand.
Is there a Ruger #1 site?

Last edited by bigwhoop; 03/07/10.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
I made casual mention while on another topic that mine and another fellows were missing rings as delivered, and got 'em all stirred up. According to them over several decades, No. 1's with iron sights were not shipped with rings. Nobody as much as out and said it, but I got the distinct feeling my credibility was being questioned... lots of "well, he SAYS" and "IF it's like he says" stuff.

Jeff,

As I'm sure you are aware, the rings are now packaged individually. I recently purchased a #1 with only one ring in the box. blush

I didn't really think anything of it... Human nature being what it is... Mistakes can and do happen occasionally.

Also I'm well aware that it hasn't been all that long that rings were included on ALL Ruger #1 rifles. I suppose if I really wanted to know exactly when that came about, I could look it up in my file of old Ruger catalogs. I distinctly remember when that blessed event happened, because they made it very clear in their catalog.

Edw

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeffdwhite,

Guys who have large, expensive, collections at stake can get right squeamish about any criticism of Ruger and its #1s that potentially diminish the market desirability of #1s. They also tend to be unenthused about after-market improvements to pristine factory issue #1s that might diminish collector status and value. They can be great sources of info on detailed differences on early models. But you won't learn a lot about inherent shortcomings in prodcuition or marketing, the bad barrel era, or periodic sags in Ruger's final fit and finish standards.

On the broader issue of missing rings, I sometimes wonder if the folks who run and work in the shops do not raid the boxes?

1B

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah, I have had similar experiences with other Yahoo grps,
specifically a fishing electronics site that of course has
no official offiliation with the manufacturer, but is ran by
employees... all in their spare time out of the goodness of
their hearts, LOL. Don't ask a question there about how or
why something doesn't work as advertised.

Anyway, the rings - I'm happy with Ruger, the rifle I got,
all is well with the world far as me. Grasshopper, nah, I
didn't know how they were sposed to be packaged cause I didn't
get anything but the tag saying they were furnished.
I suspected some borrowing along the way, either shipping or
warehouse, but the distributor swears they don't even open
them, come in from Ruger, to the warehouse, then out to the
customer. The people you talk to aren't even in the same building (zip code?) as the warehouse, so forget asking them to go open one up and tell you anything about it. Sort of a
poor way to buy a gun in hindsight. This was all before I discovered this website, next one I buy I plan to deal with members here.

As far as folks worrying about the value of their collections...
I just can't even comprehend, and don't want to.
I used to be "into" sixties musclecars, and saw a lot of people buy a lot of cars
for investments who had no love for the cars whatsoever. Drove up prices and
hurt the average guy who wanted to own one, drag race it a little, DRIVE IT.
Cars are meant to be driven, rifle to be shot - but that's just me.

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 03/08/10.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Just to throw a bit of fuel on the fire....(pun intended).

Clay over at Luxus Walnut http://www.luxusarms.com/ took delivery on a 1S in .300 H&H. Yup,I claimed it.

I chose stock CEX33 off this page http://www.luxusarms.com/html/body_rugerblankinventory.html

Having the blank flipped so the top pic will be on the non-cheekpiece side.

Thought some of you fellas might be interested grin

Last edited by nyrifleman; 03/08/10.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stunning wood!

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a geezer, I am chuckling at the same folks who touted the 300 WSM/SAUM as the second coming a few years ago, now actually want a #1 in the ancient, obsolete, inefficient, hoplessly OLD 300 H&H.

Now I read 303 British as well? Can the 22 High Power be far behind?

My High Wall in 300 Flanged (a 300 H&H only with a rim) As rimless belted cartridges don't work for squat with a standard High Wall type extractor.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gotta be embarrassing to have oldman1942 post on a thread you started. And I am embarrassed. Sorry guys!

Steve

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah... really dude...

Ingwe

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No problems man. If not for that, I'd have never got to see
the pic of that fine Hi-wall. Think I'm gonna save it to my
files because I'm sure I'll never see that picture posted up
again... Snort crazy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
No problems man. If not for that, I'd have never got to see
the pic of that fine Hi-wall. Think I'm gonna save it to my
files because I'm sure I'll never see that picture posted up
again... Snort crazy

Ya, its a rare picture. I wish he'd post a pic of his H&H cartridge line up..havent seen it posted in over an hour now..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Steve,

Have you been to the range yet with the 300 H&H? I am heading up to the Dmascus IWLA this week which will save you some driving time.. interested?

Doc

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey you guys, keep posting any range reports and pics. They are always interesting to see.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doc,

Shot the #1 300 H&H about a week ago. Pretty accurate. Am now having a recoil pad put on to increase LOP some.

Was at Poolsville IWLA yesterday to do some shooting.
My RCBS ChargeMaster crapped out and I sent it to RCBS yesterday. Until I get it back, I won't be doing any reloading.

Thanks for the offer.

Best,
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yes it does steveie, especially when I am 100% correct.

As for pics.... I await to see all your (current retail $8000) 300 H&Hs...... GRIN

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Haven't posted in a looong time since the mods refuse to do anything about a particular jackass that blatantly breaks the posted rules we all agreed to. Told it "wasn't worth the outcry of it being censorship if anyone was banned". A complete joke of an excuse but... make rules but don't follow them :roll:

Anyways...

Saw this topic and thought I could add something. I spoke with a distributor president firsthand and got a pair of these .300 H&H's on order for myself. They'd had 2 previously and the next two would be mine. Took about a month or so but I got them this past week. Basically the dealer needs to place the order with the distributor and then have that distributor place their order with Ruger. Ruger isn't doing the mass run of a particular model like they used to -> Lean manufacturing cuts down on erroneous inventory. More made to order now. So unless they're ordered at the wholesale level, the dealers won't be getting them either. Surely some distributors might order some for stock but I'd venture a guess most are spoken for when the orders to Ruger are placed. You want one make sure your dealer get it ordered! Otherwise, take your chances.
That said...I have the .303 Brit on order now as well. smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BlkHawk73,

What you posted is inconsistent with what Ruger told me, but perfectly consistent with what I experienced, as did some others at the Fire.

I have no idea why Ruger, if they want to sell rifles, would not just tell their potential customers how to go about buying their rifles.

In fact, it seems much more likely that a company would tell customers that rifles were available when they weren't, than tell customers that they were not available when they were.

Strange!

Steve

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Doc,

Shot the #1 300 H&H about a week ago. Pretty accurate. Am now having a recoil pad put on to increase LOP some.

Was at Poolsville IWLA yesterday to do some shooting.
My RCBS ChargeMaster crapped out and I sent it to RCBS yesterday. Until I get it back, I won't be doing any reloading.

Thanks for the offer.

Best,
Steve

Steve,

Hopefully your RCBS press will arrive at the same time our ranges will dry out from all this rain. Since your about 6'2" you need a little extra padding at the rear.

Doc

Doc

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doc,
I'm getting pretty itchy. I full-length resized, champfered and de-burred and installed primers in 200 rounds of 17 Fireball yesterday evening. Now they will sit there until I get my ChargeMaster back from RCBS. Talked to an RCBS CS guy today, and he said that they would either fix my unit, or send a new one to me this week

I like these guys.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve: Glad your 300H&H is shooting well. This is gooooood! it looks like we'll be shooting this week-end[hopefully] When my bud Dave shoots his 300H&H, I'll give load and range reports. Happy shooting Steve. Tom

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Tom,

I'll follow with my range report as soon as I can load ammo again.

Steve

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I think it really depends on where you go to order it. 99% of the small FFL dealers and retailers around here don't update their ordering books right away (still using 2009 months into 2010). And if you call to order something and it's not in the catalogue they will say they don't have it....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I contacted three pretty large retail gun shops that sell nationwide on the internet. They contacted their distributors, who told them that they did not have the rifles, and after contacting Ruger, were told that Ruger was not making them yet, and so they could only be back-ordered.

I contacted Ruger CS, and was told there was no schedule yet for starting production. I then contacted Ruger sales department and was told that production would not start for, IIRC, 60-90 days. I then sent a msg to the Ruger CEO in the "Ask the Ceo" part of the Ruger home page. Never got a response.

In the meantime, posters here at the Fire were shooting their new rifles. I got a tip from one of the posters, called a small gun shop in WV, and the owner ordered, and got a rifle for me.

For a long time, Ruger has been known for advertising firearms that they don't produce for quite a while. Now it looks like they are building rifles that they don't admit to building.

I have no idea what Ruger is thinking. But in the meantime, I've got my rifle,like it so far, and plan to take it on a Montana bear hunt this Spring.

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
From what I understand, Ruger does make runs as in the past but is using lean production more. Meaning, they make what's been ordered when it's ordered. This eliminates a LOT of stagnant inventory in the warehouse. Good that it saves time, money, and resources but sometime bad in that some models are immediately available. Makes it somewhat difficult in some cases when a dealer won't order what isn't in stock at the distributor. Some won't check amongst distributors if their primary one is out of stock. I ordered mine though my brother (has FFL) and spoke first-hand with the distributor, the president of the company actually. Explained what I wanted and was told I'd have the next two that they got it. Took almost 2 months but I got them. Dealer size cannot matter since this was only the second order my brother had ever placed with them. (the previous one was for me as well;) It's more having a dealer that will work with you and have a distributor that will work with them.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
BlkHawk73,

I'm sure you are right about the lean production. But Ruger never told me that they had already produced some of the rifles. They consistently talked about when they were going to start. And you would think that if they had already built some, they would say so.
That never happened. In fact , they had already built some, but somehow did not seem to know it.

Can't imagine that it was supposed to be a secret. Keep in mind, the dealers I talked to contacted their distributors, who also, like me, contacted Ruger. And Ruger never said, we have built some and we'll tell you who we sent them to. That would have been consistent with the lean production concept. It never happened.

At this point, I think I over-killed this horse. I'll let it rest in peace.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Still waiting Steve,

Next shipment arrives in about 4 weeks, hpoing it will come this time.

Cheers

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pls let me know when it arrives.

Steve

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Just picked up the son's #1-S 300 H&H that went back to Ruger with a cracked stock after 5 rounds. They replaced it with a pretty nice piece of wood! We're headed out in the morning for a weekend of hawg hunting and shooting. AAR when I get back!

Kaywoodie

Founder

WS

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bob...don't kill all the hogs down there...I'll have to come and help one day.... whistle

Ingwe

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have an old Pre 64 Win. with the metal worn bright, drift wood looking stock, in 300 H&H. The stock is a custom stock I built in 1954 and that stock has been on many rifles that I owned and had many glass jobs and now the glass shows on each side of the barrel of the 300 and its been on that gun for about 30 years now, but thats OK, it's not a thing of beauty to most..the gun shoots incredibly, and it shoots all weight bullet to the same POI..so I kept it, and that in itself seldom happens around here..I only keep a gun until I get bored with it as a rule, but I have some exceptions.

For the last 30 years I have used the 200 and 220 gr. Nolsers in it for hunting have regulated the lighter Noslers I use in my 30-06 and 308, and this has worked well..the old 300 H&H has served me well indeed.

The 300 H&H with that long neck doesn't take any powder space away when using the big long Nolsers like many of the 300s do, so I get velocity right up there tickling the 300 Wby, can't ask for more than that. I like it better than the 300 Win mag I built my son, at least with heavy bullets, but he only uses the 180 gr. Noslers and uses them on everything..

A bonus of the 300 H&H is extraction with a hot load, the case taper always allows extractions, some say it feeds better but I think that is a misconseption simply because it looks like it should, most of the 300 magnums feed well if they are put together right, but perhaps that long torpedo looking tube is a feeding plus, who knows?.

At any rate it is always an excellent choice of caliber, has some built in nostalgia, very popular among Africans, and is sexy as someone pointed out.

Long live the 300 H&H..and if you get bored with it, then all you gotta do is punch it out to a 300 WBY, another great caliber.

Last edited by atkinson; 03/18/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ray,
Excellent post on the 300 H&h. It seems to be one of those cartridges that is much more effective than it is popular. And it looks like another one of those cartridges that the loonies fall in love with.

I'd be surprised if I got bored with my 300 H&H. In fact, I may be in love.

Steve

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bob...don't kill all the hogs down there...I'll have to come and help one day.... whistle

Ingwe

That sounds like a plan!!!!!! Like I said on another post dunno why I'm going with all the hogs here on the place. Must be the fellowship and food! LOL

If the little turd ever sells or trades off this #1, without giving me first dibs, he's up for a real, honest-to-god Roy D. Mercer Azz-wuppin'!!!!!! Last year he sold an awesome old classic FN 98 actioned rifle built in '52 right out from under me!!!! .257 Bob to boot! Said he need cash for hospital bills!!! I was fit to be tied! Awesome nice old piece of walnut! Reminded me of a super grade 70 it was so nice!!!!!

Bob

Founder

WS

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Still waiting Steve,

Next shipment arrives in about 4 weeks, hpoing it will come this time.

Cheers

wantok,
Local importer has dibs on 4 of them. They're hoping to receive those 4 in the next shipment ... but ... Ruger doesn't always send what's ordered in quantities to cover all orders. I'm receiving a 450/400NE this week coming, the 303British whenever it arrives and enquired about a 300H&H. The very first is spoken for ... after that 3 remain and are hopefully in the shipment. Damn I'm tempted!
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

It's an established fact that the easiest way to get rid of a temptation, is to give in to it.

That's a tried and true Campfire solution.

Now place that order!

Steve

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Now place that order!

Steve

Steve,
You really need to speak with 'she who must be obeyed'. grin

My greatest worry is that I'll be broke when Ruger finally does a regular production run of 450NE, 500 NE or be still my beating heart ... a 400/350NE! smile

Looked at importing a Boddington once released in 450NE (AUD$2200) but the matte finish cheapens a really nice gun ... I couldn't own something that reminds me of a Rem SPS.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

All the Aussies I have known could always find a way. I'm betting that you will too, and that a new rifle is right around the corner for you. "She who must be obeyed" wants you to be happy.

Trust me!

Now place that order.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
[quote=Con]

The very first is spoken for ... after that 3 remain and are hopefully in the shipment. Damn I'm tempted!

If all goes to plan Con that first .300H&H off the boat is mine, fingers crossed.

Now Con on the other matter don't let the trouble and strife put you off from the good things in life (like Ruger No1s), Just do the time honored tradition and don't tell her. The good thing about No1s is to the untrained eye they all look the same and don't attract a lot of attention, unlike when a black rifle suddenly appears in the safe.

Cheers for now

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

Now there's my Aussie finding a way. Aussies always seem to do that.

Good on ya'.

Steve

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Steve

It's here!!! I walked into Peter Kay,the local gunsmith on Friday and he smiled and walked out the back and reappeared carrying a Ruger box and there inside was my .300H&H Magnum. What a beauty, no new father could be prouder. I have now sent off my permit to aquire and in two to three weeks I will be able to pick it up, which is just as well as we haven't been able to get any brass or ammunition yet. I will try and post a photo when I work out how it is done.

cheers

David

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
David,

Congratulations! That is terrific news. I'll look forward to your range reports and pictures.

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Embarrassed to say what I paid for 'em (dealer in the family wink )but here's my pair I received a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BlkHawk73; 04/12/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
They are beauties.

Not that often you can tell a guy what a great pair he has.

Steve

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They are beauties.

Not that often you can tell a guy what a great pair he has.

Steve

Thanx! The longer than norm bbls make it handle great! Now just waiting for the .303 LoL

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Steve

It's here!!! I walked into Peter Kay,the local gunsmith on Friday and he smiled and walked out the back and reappeared carrying a Ruger box and there inside was my .300H&H Magnum.

Oh bugger ... wantok PM sent.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 04/12/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Con,

Some Aussie covetousness appear to be going on here. You know what you have to do.

Now get on with it. Buy that #-1 300 H&H. You will have a lifetime to enjoy it, and a lifetime of regret if you do not.

Hope this helps!!

Steve

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Steve,
Working on it! But if Ruger turns around and does an uncatalogued run of 450 x 3 1/4" then I'll be seriously torn! Also considering perhaps grabbing a 416Ruger 1H and rechambering to 500/416 because my passion are the big bores. I'd also like to find a donor action to add a 28" barrel chambered to 378Wby. Either way ... I'm selling rifles to fund Ruger No1s because the bug has bit.
Cheers...
Con

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Well after getting my permit to Aquire sorted out with Firearms Registry then being away with work for a couple of weeks I FINALLY went in yesterday and picked up and took home my 1S in .300H&H Magnum.
Not that I can use it yet as I am still waiting for brass to arrive from the US. What are you blokes doing over there, stockpiling the world supply of .300 brass? smile Please just let 50cases go please!
Oh well its to cold out in my shipping container/gun room to be doing any loading at the moment.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I mounted a VariX-III on it but haven't got to shoot it yet. I have a few hundred rounds of brass to get loaded and find a load it likes. I sure hope it likes the same recipe as my other one.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My #1 300H&H was brought to Montana for a bear hunt. Never even saw a bear until that last hour of the last day. At that was at a lasered 900 yds, and the bears were two sows, each with two cubs.

But my rifle shot really well, about one and a half inches and 3 shot groups at 200 yds with a 180grAB.

Love the rifle. It deserved better than I produced for it.

Glad to hear you guys have gotten yours. It did not occur to me that the brass would be so hard for you to obtain. Hope you get it soon.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm still waiting !!! supposed to be this month!!
You lucky guys!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

I purchased a No. 1 in 300 H & H, and just picked it up Sunday. It is one of the "Kudu" 300's. It will be a little while before I get a chance to fire it. I hope it shoots as well as the results which have been posted in this topic. In the Remington 700, I load IMR 4350 and a 190 grain bullet. It is the best load I have found up to this point. If anyone would like to share some pet loads I would appreciate the information. Thank You Robert

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't played with the No 1 yet but in my old 721 Remington the Federal Premium 180 grain Partition will just make 1 ragged hole at 100 yards. We will see how they do in the new No 1. It ALMOST makes me feel bad that I have 300-400 rounds of brass and a few of you guys can't find any.

I don't feel to bad. I think I have about 600 pieces of brass. What powder and number of grains are you loading with the 180's?. I would love to get to where I could get, and hold some .75 groups.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The load that worked for me was 67.0 of Ramshot Hunter with a 180 AccuBond and a 215M primer in Norma brass.

Got 1.5 inch +/- three shot groups at 200 yds on a pretty regular basis.

The rifle shoots!

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For the sake of full disclosure,I got the above load courtesy of Mule Deer.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered some Hornady 220 gr. RN for my elk hunting trip to Oregon.Shot's will be under a 100 yards.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally got a chance to put a few rounds through mine over the weekend and I have to admit that I was SHOCKED at the recoil. Far more than my 721 and worse than the 375 by far. On the up side it did shoot one big ragged hole though. How is the recoil on other peoples?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't think the recoil was that bad.They make pre fit recoil pads.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
160user,

One of the problems with the Ruger No. 1 is that the stock is actually designed for iron-sight rather than scope use. There's enough drop to the buttstock so that the rifle tends to come up in recoil more than with most modern bolt-actions, which tend to have straighter buttstocks.

I used to hunt quite a bit with a No. 1 .375 H&H, using either a scope or an NECG peep sight. Despite the rifle weighing almost a pound less with the peep sight (aboyt 8-1/4 pounds) felt recoil was noticeably less, even with 300-grain handloads at 2600 fps. This was because the rifle didn't rare up as much and bite me in the face.

John Steinbeck
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MD

I could be wrong -- God knows there is ample precedent-- but Ruger #1 buttstocks always struck me as a compromise between pure iron-sighted and scoped designs.

They came into being well after the dawning of the scoped use era and have never been re-engineered to accomodate that 'new' gadget, so I tend to think the compromise more or less worked.

The #1 butt stocks are fairly straight-combed unlike the European 'hogback' and early US military stocks in iron sighted railfes which had butts slanted upward toward level with receivers. (I found these latter designs in the 03 Springield and CZs to be most punishing on my cheek and face and on my shoulder which got an unevenly heavy shot at the top of butt stock.)

By contrast, the high cheek piece desings, which even slanted downward towards the receiver in some estreme cases, were definitely meant for scope-only use. They gave a much higher sight plane than Ruger #1s and were not much good with irons.

But the Ruger #1s, in my short-necked use, work fine with low to medium mounted scopes, and the straight back recoil pattern does not punish me overmuch. (I rarely use the irons on my #1s and have even removed many of them to accomodate scopes.)

My .375 Ruger #1 is relatively light and this IMO accounts for the harsh 'felt recoil' at reference here. I tamed mine with a Decelerator pad and now have no problem shooting a box of ammo through it at the range. (That is about all the fun I want with it though.) I have had no field use with it but then the small deer around here never seemed likely candidates for it. And the Kodiac bear trip is farther off and slipping away faster than when I bought it.

Regards,
1B

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
160user,

The recoil in my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H is fairly moderate, and I'm pretty recoil sensitive.(See the load I used in my post above) I did add a Pachmayr recoil pad to increase the LOP, so that may have made the difference.

In addition, it has been my experience that the better a rifle shoots, the less the recoil bothers me.

YMMV

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 07/01/10.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
160user,

The recoil in my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H is fairly moderate, and I'm pretty recoil sensitive.(See the load I used in my post above) I did add a Pachmayr recoil pad to increase the LOP, so that may have made the difference.

In addition, it has been my experience that the better a rifle shoots, the less the recoil bothers me.

YMMV

Steve

Being 6'2" I knew you would have to add a newer pad to the buttstock.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doc,
In general, I like a longer LOP. At my tallest, I was 6'1". Now, after the weight of 70 years, I'm 6' even.

Stay tuned to the next Grill and Chill, which will be sometime this summer. Hope you can make it.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got mine today!! I'll send photo's soon....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Terrific,and congrats.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For what it is worth mine sure seemed to like Federal Premium 180 Partitions but that is the only ammo I have tried in it too. I didn't measure but I would say the groups were 1 1/4 inch at 100 yards and that was the 3rd, 4th and 5th shot out of the rifle ever.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
160user,

One of the problems with the Ruger No. 1 is that the stock is actually designed for iron-sight rather than scope use. There's enough drop to the buttstock so that the rifle tends to come up in recoil more than with most modern bolt-actions, which tend to have straighter buttstocks.

Actually John, this is one of the few times I am going to disagree with you...

If you measure from the bore line, the comb on the Ruger number 1 rifles is actually every bit as high as any comparable bolt action which must allow clearance for the bolt throw at the rear.Actually, if you compared any Ruger no 1 stock side by side with any vintage of Ruger m77 centerfire rifle and lined them up along the bore line- you will find that the no 1 buttstocks are a bit higher combed than the m77s and have no more drop at the comb.

Also, if you look at Ruger no 1 iron sights they are mounted quite High actually. This is to compensate for the higher scope height comb - not the other way around.

When a Ruger has a scope mounted in a set of Low high rings, there is actually quite a bit of cheek support with the factory setup. The problem is that due to the interference between the front edge of the quarter rib and the objective bell, most No 1s wind up with scopes mounted higher than ideal.

There are four factors factors I truly think create more recoil for many who shoot No 1 rifles.

1)The section of the stock taking up the recoil, from the back of the action to the buttplate shorter and stiffer on the Ruger No 1 than on a magazine fed bolt rifle. The through bolt also stiffens the Ruger buttstock stocks. I think this is where most of the increased felt recoil in a No 1 comes from.When bolted down, the Ruger No1 buttstocks are incredibly rigid.

2) The straight combed classic style stocks on a Ruger do not fit some shooters well and can produce more felt recoil(John B- I bet Eileen will second that)

3) The Ruger factory pads have as much cushioning effect as a house brick. They are too hard.

4) The center of mass of the Ruger No 1 rifles- most of which have sporter weight barrels - is much further to the rear than on most rifles. While that gives the rifles a "lively" feel in the hand, it also creates more muzzle flip and upward torgue under recoil..

Add up all four of the above, and you have a rifle that pound for pound, caliber for caliber, has more felt recoil than most guns.

Last edited by jim62; 07/02/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys that's got them...What scope are you using?
I thinkin' Leupold 6x42....

Come on America,

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Just bought one at budsgunshop online on thursday. looking forward to taking delivery soon. Hope the wood is as good as I saw online.
sidepass

Last edited by sidepass; 07/03/10.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's my wood,I have some color cased rings and a gripcap I may add later,if it shoots.I hope my "new gun jinx" doesn't return,I like this gun....
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Leupold FX-3 6X42 on mine, and am very pleased with it.

I shot the rifle at 300 yds, and the scope does all I need of it. And it looks good too. The rifle and scope seem to be well matched. If I were not so computer inept, I'd post pictures.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put a Vari X III 3.5-10 on mine and it looks great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went with a 6x-42 Leupold,it shoots well. I only put 11 rounds down range,with the last two groups of 3 shoot under 1". However my scope went a little coo-coo and quit adjusting properly. A little more recoil than expected, I was shooting Winchester 180gr Silvertips to reload the brass...I think it's going to work just fine!!

Last edited by rifle; 07/06/10.

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
rifle,

Looks like you have a shooter, congrats. And the wood is terrific.

Surprised the scope went south. But I would much prefer to fix a scope problem then a rifle problem, especially a #1, that does not shoot well.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a spare 6x42. I have been suspecting something was up with it anyway. Bought it off a gun show table?? Wonder why? I was going to have Leupold change the reticule anyway.

But, I'm happy with the way it shoots,I've had a run of bad luck with "new" guns this past year,, I hope it's ended!
Adjusted from the sighter,then gave it three downrange PDQ...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by rifle; 07/07/10.

Come on America,

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
rifle,

Gotta love it. Looks like you have a shooter.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a little time today,got it out, swapped the bad scope and started cleaning the bore.I impressed with the smoothness and how clean it came out,maybe Ruger is getting everything together.For now,I'm using a 6x42,but I keep thinking about a 3.5-10X...maybe those thoughts will go away.It balances really well with the 6X...............rifle

Come on America,

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,123
Posts18,502,402
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.