Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I may have stirred the hornets nest. I know that these two makers are friends (at least thats what I have heard). Any thoughts on the difference of their designs, quality, or is it just personal preference? I have seen alot of talk on the forum about Mr. Ingram, but not so much about Mr. May.

FSTF
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had knives from both of them and cant tell any difference in quality myself just different takes on the shape of the knives themselves.

Both men are complete gentleman to deal with.

gene

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree completely with gene270, both make excellent knives of the highest quality.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Agree completely with gene270, both make excellent knives of the highest quality.
I agree as well,I have knives from both makers I think the quality is the same it boils down to what you like in an individual knife! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a number of knives from Charlie with a couple on order including one which is of my own design. Top notch stuff IMHO. Great guy to deal with as well. He has some different blade styles which appealed to me.

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I agree with gene270 also. I couldn't have said it any better !!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dhershberger-Where in Kansas are you? I grew up in SEK, school in Manhattan, lived in Dodge for a summer, now by Pittsburg on the Missouri side-

Don't have a May, but 3 Ingrams with 3 more on order. From looks, quality appears the same, but I prefer the style of the Ingrams. Of all the custom blades out there actually, there is just something about his shapes that I like the best.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
there is just something about his shapes that I like the best.

I agree 100% with this comment. Genes knives just fit my eye as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does Gene offer a Skandi grind? I never asked him. Charlie May does a nice job with that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Does Gene offer a Skandi grind? I never asked him. Charlie May does a nice job with that.

I don't know. The scandi grind doesn't appeal to me so I have not asked.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both their wares, but I much prefer Gene's knives as he simply has more patterns that feel better in my hands.

No difference in quality from either.

Simply boils down to a personal preference.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
FWIW, you can put Erwin Roach (e3ck here at the 'fire) and Dave Winston in that group as well. All 4 live within a very drive of each other, all 4 are good friends, all 4 give advice to one another, and all 4 make very comparable, VERY nice knives.

I have, or have had, examples by each of them, and there is no difference in quality nor in the quality of the person with whom you will deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could someone post some pictures of the May knives? I don't think I have ever seen a picture of one of his knives

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some Charles May knives from his website, these were the first 3 I saw that caught my eye the most.

Fish Bone:
[img]http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/Image_Knife.asp?Ident_Value=2588[/img]

The Bobwhite
[img]http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/Image_Knife.asp?Ident_Value=2322[/img]

Lil' Big Woods
[img]http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/Image_Knife.asp?Ident_Value=2132[/img]

have to click the link unless somebody can fix it for me-

Last edited by Cheesy; 01/16/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Those are some really nice knives.

The Bob White would be my first choice.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
+1 on Erwin Roach and David Winston. I've got knives from each and they are fine quality knives.

I've been using a scandi grind Slitter from Charles May so far this year. I trade around and try a lot of knives, but for field dressing and later skinning, I think I like the feel of this knife better than any I've tried. To me it seems to be "the one".

I'm waiting to try an Ingram #7 to see how it fits compared to Mr. May's Slitter.

They are all quality makers putting out fine knives. Cutting style, hand size, what part of the blade you use most, look, etc....these are very individual things. You can put a standard on a steel, test hardness, etc....but the style of a knife may match up or go against the way a person uses it for a task. Find one you like, put it to use....you can't go wrong with any of these makers and if doesn't match your "style" of cutting someone will be willing to take it off your hands.

JCM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a few of both makers knives..

I prefer Ingram style a little more, that being said I have a Charles May Lil Friend that is spectacular. That knifes blade shape is similar to my Dozier K2 which is my favorite.

The thing about these makers is that you can use them for years, and if you take care of them the resale is outstanding..

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by harleyguy02
I have had a few of both makers knives..

I prefer Ingram style a little more, that being said I have a Charles May Lil Friend that is spectacular. That knifes blade shape is similar to my Dozier K2 which is my favorite.

The thing about these makers is that you can use them for years, and if you take care of them the resale is outstanding..

I have a May Lil friend on order, due this fall. I asked him to put a Scandi Grind on it. I really like the way that a Scandi has good strength, holds it's edge, and resharpens quickly. All the knives I order from Charlie have a Scandi grind now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have both...enjoy both...have more of both on order. Both are top notch. I have to say Charlie has MANY patterns not shown on his site. If you visit him he has a couple of drawers full of pattern blanks. His Bobwhite is a great little knife. One of his others not seen around here is his Turkey Spur. GREAT little skinner. I'll post up a pic when it gets back from him. He is touching up the edge for me since it's seen so much action this season!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have another one ordered that is a combination of the Bobwhite and the Slitter, also with a Scandi grind. Charlie liked the idea of this one so it will be interesting to see how his vision of this comes out. Will be a dedicated waterfowl/upland bird knife.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 12 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.