Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a lot of PMC brass and it all fits the RCBS #2. So does all of my Norma and Swedish made Herters brass. I bought a bunch of Winchester brass once and found out after ripping the rim of a case in the sizing process that about half fit the #3 shell holder and the other half fits the #2. I no longer have that brass. I have had one box of Remington Factory ammo that fit the proper Swede holder and another box that did not. There are several boxes of Winchester factory ammo I have not checked yet. That might just get sold, as I now need neither the factory ammo or the brass.

I never particularly noticed any problems that might have resulted from small diameter head size or any extraction problems.

Unless you want a game of musical shell holders, be careful what you use. I intend to continue the Norma and the PMC and next time I buy more brass it will be Norma or Lapua.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that despite the lack of a safety lug and a larger gas shield, the Swedish built Mausers are like most (all?) Swedish built things, well engineered and flawlessly executed. There are lots of 1898 style Mauser military rifles that exhibit much poorer manufacturing and, probably, materials than any Swed that I've seen.

I currently have 5 Swedish military Mausers, plus a couple of commercial Husqvarna small rings, and never worry about the actions' strength or design when using loads found in the current reloading manuals.

On the sporterized rifles, I have replaced the military bolt shrouds with commercial style bolt shrouds from Brownells that have a larger gas shield. I also replaced the triggers with Bold or Timney units, install Dayton Traister cock-on-opening kits, modified or replaced the bolt handles, replaced 3 of the 5 barrels, and 5 of the 5 stocks. With these components changed out, the rifles function fine in 22-250, 257 Roberts, 6.5x55(2), and 7x57.

I have heard that, in a pinch, you can successfully use the smaller diameter 30-06 cases to make 6.5x55 cases by wrapping the brass just ahead of the extractor groove with 1 or 2 thicknesses of "scotch" tape to make it a tight fit into the chamber. When the rifle is fired, the brass will expand equally around the whole circumferance of the case head, rather than unevenly as would be the situation for an unsupported case. I've never done this myself, but it sounds reasonable.

Jeff

Hey Jeff. Not meant to insult the finely executed workmanship and steel (for if too hard/brittle my action would have let loose). My post was to warn reloaders who might use reformed cases to watch for OD on loaded necks, as 'crimped bullets' will make pressures skyrocket into a zone not really safe for any action IMHO. It was perhaps a rare thing that I experienced, but one look a the cracked bolt threads holding the striker causes one to really think.....safety. In a nutshell, the striker blew back under the escaping gas until it bottomed out so hard against the bolt body, it cracked the threads the full length of all those threads....I felt lucky to be alive.

BTW, on the posts re: brass specs, I have seen small differences, and use whatever shellholder needed, but in my Ruger #1, I have only used Lapua brass and the accuracy has been great, just over an inch at 200 yds, the last time I got serious using a 6x scope w/#4 reticle....

Long live the fine Swede!

You all have a wonderful Christmas.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my '96 Swede about 4 years ago more from a collector standpoint than any other. Still in the packing grease, looked completely unfired, and all matching serial#'s. Then I began the cartridge research and did I luck out?! What a phenomenal little performer?! Original open sights at 100 yds I regularly printed 1.5" groups. After the sporterization (4" cut, crown, drop-in McMillan, "scout" scope mount, and Burris 2.5-7 handgun scope) I made a beautiful .75" group at, no lie, 250 yards! I was researching the 7-08, and many others, but what sold me on my little Swede was bullet choice. Not many calibers rival the .30 for weights and selection, but the Swede is one of them. From 85gr varminters to 160 gr Elk killers, and everything in between.

BTW, I love the results that I have gotten, but haven't hunted with it, yet. I've been researching all the premium bullets (mostly on this website) and every one bar none has had real world catastrophic failures like not opening and complete disintegration. I understand that with the MV of the Swede, some of these are of no concern, but several (NPT's, TSX's, NBT's, etc) were experienced in .308, 7-08 and 30-06 velocities! The above grouping was done with 140gr NPT's over 41grs of IMR-4350.
Then I read (again, on this website) that Partitions are sometimes just too heavily constructed for light to medium game like antelope and deer. I really like the TSX's and Sciroccos, but, again, they're not without criticisms.

Any help?

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd try 129/140Hornady SP and Sierra 140s, the 140 AMAX is not a bad choice either. I'd expect the 140 Accubond to perhaps do as well if not better than others based on my results w/130 ABs.

You have a great shooter, as most are if not overly pitted in the bore, or excess wear, but having been stored in cosmoline, they are often pristine in bore condition in the ones I have owned.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CAPITALIST
Original open sights at 100 yds I regularly printed 1.5" groups. After the sporterization (4" cut, crown, drop-in McMillan, "scout" scope mount, and Burris 2.5-7 handgun scope) I made a beautiful .75" group at, no lie, 250 yards!
Any help?

Capitalist, what scout mount did you use?

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one because I read a well sourced article about sectional density and ballistics coefficients that stated that the current two calibers with the best selection of bullets for both are 6.5 and .338.

I was in the process of acquiring parts for a custom when my wife bought a M96 Carl Gustafs for me for my birthday. So ... I have a Swede. My dad then proceeded to buy me 100 rounds of ammo for it. 40 Swedish 138 gr FMJ (brass looks like Norma?), 40 Sellier and Bellot, and 20 Core Lokts.

Now I want one in a sporter.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
you havent appreciated the swede yet until you shoot 100 grain bullets at 3250 fps with no recoil. its heavenly.

i have no .243 anymore. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
g5m:
I had my buddy's gunshop install Burris rings which I bought right along with the scope. And the shop that did the sporterization drilled and tapped the barrel just in front of the chamber on the barrel. Then they modified a weaver mount by honing about .75" off of the underside of the mount facing the chamber (thus allowing about a 1.5" overhang over the thickest part of the barrel, but not where the Carl Gustav info is). This places the scope completely forward of the bolt and action with no turning necessary, no funky spacers to level the scope, nothing! The smith originally told me sporterizing a Mauser wasn't worth the investment and told me to go buy a new rifle. I told him to just turn it into a "scout" and it was like a light bulb went off in his head! He had no headaches, and it was done in a matter of hours once he began! I'm pretty sure he'll recommend this procedure to other Mauser shooters! BTW my scope is a 2-7x not a 2.5-7x like I stated.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
65BR:
I was all set to order some Sierras (the accuracy needs no introduction!) when one guy said he shot a deer in the chest, cooked up the backstraps, and bit into the jacket fragments! I kept reading and he was one of many with fragmentation and separation problems. So I was about to order the TSX's and then found out they are $40 for 50 bullets! I'm still looking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Furprick
Improved version is called an ARCH
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Improved version is called an ARCH
Originally Posted by Brasshound
IIf I remember correctly, the BJAI came before the ARCH version. Wish I still had that email.. This was years ago... I still have Mr. Jourdans load data...

The 6.5x55 Arch was an improved 6.5x55. It was described by Ackley in Vol 1 of his 1962 Handbook. My copy is a paperback 9th printing, with the description on p.361. The name comes from the cartridge's developer, Dr. E. L. Arch of Wenatchee WA. Ackley briefly mentions some of Arch's experimental work, including use of 200-grain Barnes original bullets in a 5.25-inch twist barrel. Arch also produced 6mm and .25 caliber versions.

As I recall, Bob Jourdan did not consider the Arch version a "real" AI. In the 1990s he developed and published his own version.

--Bob

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
65BR:
I was all set to order some Sierras (the accuracy needs no introduction!) when one guy said he shot a deer in the chest, cooked up the backstraps, and bit into the jacket fragments! I kept reading and he was one of many with fragmentation and separation problems. So I was about to order the TSX's and then found out they are $40 for 50 bullets! I'm still looking.

For deer, lopes, and yotes...you can't go wrong with 130 Accbombs or 129 Interlocks.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the info, Capitalist.

Retired cat herder.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Guys will you please stop this talk about a 6.5 Swede!!!!
You got me wanting to buy or build a Swede and I don't need another rifle.
I have a .257 Roberts, 7x57, 8x57, and 9.2x62.
Do I really need something between a .257 Roberts and a 7x57?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by HuntKY
65BR:

For deer, lopes, and yotes...you can't go wrong with 130 Accbombs or 129 Interlocks.

+1 on the 130 AB's. They are extremely accurate out of my Sako and at the speed I shoot them (2700) they just flat out kill deer without a lot of excitement.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Forget need,do you want one? Now if I take the shelves out of the safe I'll have some room.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cole_k

Yea,you goy some gaps to fill...LOL The 6.5's will do a lot of what you already have,but then it's a start,because you will want to add the.260, 6.5x54 MS and a 6.5x57 and maybe a .264WM...I hunt a lot with 6.5x55 and my 9.3x62,but that leaves about 40 something rifles at home to play with.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by "cole_k"

Cole,

It's not about need. It's about holding heritage, class, and panache in your hands. Besides, your 7x57 needs a little brother.

Buy it. Shoot it. Cherish it. You know you want to!

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cole_k

Oh my, yes! Everyone should have at least one 6.5x55.
Accurate. A pleasure to shoot. Saved the world for democracy. Well, sort of.
By all means you NEED one.

Retired cat herder.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by SteveC99
My chronograph records tell me that Winchester, Remington, PMC (with the Sierra Gameking bullets), and Federal Factory 140 gr loads travel about 2,500-2,550 fps. Norma 139 travel 2,580. That is two widely separated batches of Norma ammo and the result is the same in both lots. Their recoil is also milder than the 2,750 fps level as well, not much, but you can tell if you look for it. I realize the Norma reputation for hotter ammo, which is precisely why I bought it in the first place. Reality (as checked by two different chronographs) told me different. It is also possible that I have two mild lots I suppose, but that is what I got.

The hot factory ammo I have shot is the old red and white box PMC 139 gr load. The bullet looks like a hybrid between a Hornady Interlock and a Winchester Powerpoint. That stuff went out the muzzle @ 2,780.

the only PMC 139 grain ammo I ever bought for my 96 it blew the primer completely out of the case 2 of the first 5 rounds I shot so I pulled the bullets and reloaded it. But in my 96 I reload all the loads we have in in our loading manuels now.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by SteveC99
Originally Posted by 338Federal
Seems like if it were a 'Merican ctg everyone would be all about "AI-ing" it. Is anybody trying to "improve" the Swede?

I believe the Swede has indeed been "improved". I have seen data, but forget where off the top of my head. For me, when I feel the need to drive a 6.5 bullet faster than the Swede, I use a 264 Winchester. Speaks volumes about the appeal of the standard Swede since the AI trend seems largely forgotten about.

the 6.5X55 AI only gets about 100 to 150 more FPS

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,250
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.