Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For those that watched Man vs Wild last night, any ideas where in MT Bear Grylls was filming??

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Probably someplace close to a Ramada Inn....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
exactly.

poser.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Bear Grylls = one of the top fakes on TV

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's anything like his AK series, it'll be a joke. I hesitate to call him an outright liar, but anyone with rudimentary knowledge of AK geography, could see he was hundreds of miles away from being near the Arctic Circle, as was implied by the show. My guess is, he was in the Valdez-Cordova area, or thereabouts.

The show is pretty much theatrics. Anyone in a survival situation in a remote area, would have to be an idiot to pull the stunts he pulls.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sako
Bear Grylls = one of the top fakes on TV

Hard to sit through an entire episode of his, you learn nothing. NATGEO had an episode on recently where a guy was dropped of in AK. He had a rifle, shotgun, and ample food stock. He barely made it 40 days or so before he threw in the towel. You learned what not to do, but at least learned something.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe
Probably someplace close to a Ramada Inn....

Ingwe

The " Complimentary Continental Breakfasts" are what really keeps him alive.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
most the crap Bear shows yah will get yah killed, havent watched an episode since the first couple i watched.....i do like Les Shrouds Survivorman though.....he said he refuses to have anyone with him(though he started having a saftey crew a mile off due to concerns by those insuring him halfway into the second season)....heard him say in an interview that generally by day 3 if he had a camera man with him he would be tackling the guy for a granola bar grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's only three groups I'm interested in to learn survival skills from: SEALS, Rangers, and Special Forces. Those guys are survivalists.

Oh ya, the hunter/killer snipers teams can be thrown in there too.

I will say that my survival training in the Army National Guard was conducted by Ranger or Special Forces instructors.

These reality survival TV shows are just entertainment. Those so called survival experts wouldn't last 5 minutes with any SEAL, Ranger, or SF type.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree w/everyone as my only entertainment in watching the episode last night was trying to determine where in MT. Based on all the stuff he found, he wasn't very far from a road.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Umm, Bear Grylls was in the British SAS, he also climbed Everest. Yes, the shows are just entertainment, but I suspect he can hold his own just fine in the real world. ...and even against internet "experts".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by prm
Umm, Bear Grylls was in the British SAS, he also climbed Everest. Yes, the shows are just entertainment, but I suspect he can hold his own just fine in the real world. ...and even against internet "experts".

I had never heard of the guy to be honest until this thread.

I just know that all those reality TV survival shows are entertainment. Personally, if I had been in the SAS I wouldn't degrade my SAS time by a reality TV survival show.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm

No doubt, but his program could be so much more. Now where did I put my hemroid doughnut....

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by akjeff

The show is pretty much theatrics. Anyone in a survival situation in a remote area, would have to be an idiot to pull the stunts he pulls.

Jeff

Yeah. I've seen him jump 30 feet off a cliff into supposedly "unkown" waters because there was no other way down. What a great survival tip to give to people watching the program. Not much of a danger at all.

J
J
I agree that Bear can probably hold his own in the real world, however, I have lost nearly all interest in the show since last nights episode.

He starts off by para gliding off a well traversed peak called Hardscrabble, in the Bridger mountains right outside of Bozeman. He lands in Fairy Lake, which is a quarter mile from a parking lot and forest service road. You can see the hiking trail when he climbs out of the lake...

He then attempts to climb down what appears to be part of the trail up to Hardscrabble/Sacajawea, completely out of chronological order.

Scenery switches and he ends up in some very large lake which appears to be somewhere around central montana? Too few mountains to be Flathead, but too many to be Ft. Peck? Maybe someone can elaborate on where he may be.

At the end of the show, he changes locations again and ends up on a railroad. The scenery indicates that he is most likely on the tracks in Northern Montana which run through Havre, rather than the ones that run through Bozeman.

And, all this time, I thought he was actually surviving the wilderness frown

J
J
Oh yeah, and the waterfalls appear to be Palisade Falls by Hyalite reservoir, again by Bozeman; a ten minute hike.

Last edited by Jough; 01/21/10.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
No worries. He apparently got out of the SAS after breaking his back in a parachute accident. Now he's just like us looking for ways to make a living. He's managed to do it by going all around the world spending time in the outdoors doing things he likes. I can't fault that. Also, regarding qualifications, he climbed Ama Dablam which is not for beginners.

As for the show, yes it's just a show, not exactly reality.

Last edited by prm; 01/21/10.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Bozeman has a Ramada Inn....doesn't it??

Ingwe

J
J
Haha, yes, Bozeman does in fact have a Ramada.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never liked Bear Grylls based on his phoney TV shows and him being a publicity-whore..

However, I did see him at a book signing where there was no camers, just a few folk who'd bought some of his survival books...He was much less arogant, and spent quite a bit of time talking to the kids ect, so perhaps its just his TV personna that is crap!

Last edited by Pete E; 01/21/10.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,295
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.