-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i dont doubt that Bear is the real deal, he just doesnt show it on his shows.....Les shows yah he is really out there and miserable and shows his screw ups....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Les a bit more, he seems a bit off keel if'n ya ask me though, I'd buy that Canuck a beer. I just can't buy off on Bear's stuff, but he has a viewing audience, most of them are folks that wish they could do even a quarter of what bear is doing. Anyone watch that Apocalypse Man show on history channel yet?

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think he stayed at Motel 6. They've got DIY waffles there, which definitely makes him a survivalist.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Anyone watch that Apocalypse Man show on history channel yet?

I caught the last part of it the other night, definatley some things I had not thought of if SHTF.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We happened to see Bear's show during the holidays at a relatives home. Fortunately, we can't get it here.

It's appears to be simply a series of contrived events to appear as a trek of some sort.

In one episode we saw, he comes to a fairly steep bluff with a river below. Of course he can't walk around to a lower slope (that could be seen). The "only way down is to rappel using the ever-present rope on his obviously empty backpack - that magically holds so much gear.

As he ties off the rope, I said, "watch! When he gets to the bottom, the rope will still be on the back pack." Sure 'nuff!

Then he proceeded to build a raft that he tips over intentionally because the river is just soooo dangerous.

The only thing dangerous is anyone looking for sound tips.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whip
I think he stayed at Motel 6. They've got DIY waffles there, which definitely makes him a survivalist.

No doubt covered in bear crap and washed down with his own urine grin

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Probably someplace close to a Ramada Inn....

Ingwe

Doooh! LMAO

For a guy who is suppose to be showing you how to survive he sure takes A LOT of "risks" that are not necessary. All for the shock value I am sure and as you said, who cares if you jump into a frozen lake when you are trying to survive, espcially when you can jump into the hot tub at the Ramada Inn your staying at.

Hemi

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by akjeff
If it's anything like his AK series, it'll be a joke. I hesitate to call him an outright liar, but anyone with rudimentary knowledge of AK geography, could see he was hundreds of miles away from being near the Arctic Circle, as was implied by the show. My guess is, he was in the Valdez-Cordova area, or thereabouts.

The show is pretty much theatrics. Anyone in a survival situation in a remote area, would have to be an idiot to pull the stunts he pulls.

Jeff

If it the one I started to watch he parachuted into the wilderness 100 miles from anyplace. if you look closley in the first 5 min you can see some buildings in the far background. what a joke.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Iread somewhere that Bear's show's are reinactments of actual situations.
Fact I believe the streamer at the show beginings says so.
There's also a disclaimer that says he gets support from others during the show.
Yes, it's entertainment, aren't they all?
Does any one think the Survivor series is anything else?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I saw it last night he had to climb to the top of a "200ft" railroad bridge then swing out on a chair to get ontop of the bridge. But when he got there if you looked in the background you could see a hill that went up to the bridge a few hundred yards away.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bear Grylls - Biography

Youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mt. Everest . (In aid of SSAFA Forces Help, the Tri-Services Charity.)

Youngest British climber to reach the summit of Mt. Ama Dablam, Himalaya, (once described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'.)

1994-1997
Served with the British SAS (21 SAS). Passed UK Special Forces Selection, serving as a sabre soldier, trained in unarmed combat, desert and winter warfare, combat survival, medics, parachuting, signals, evasive driving, climbing and explosives. Served in North Africa twice. In late 1996 Bear broke his back in a free fall parachuting accident in southern Africa.

MtnHtr

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He has had a controversial background. While he apparently was in the British Special Air Services (SAS), there are contradictions from his mates. see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey guys, it's just a TV "reality" show.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thay should add a subtitle to the name of the show. WHAT NOT TO DO IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE. When miles from civilization you don't run down loose rocky slopes or jump into water you don't know the depth of or put yourself at risk of broken bones,food poisoning,hypothermia well you get my point.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by rkamp
Originally Posted by Sako
Bear Grylls = one of the top fakes on TV

Hard to sit through an entire episode of his, you learn nothing. NATGEO had an episode on recently where a guy was dropped of in AK. He had a rifle, shotgun, and ample food stock. He barely made it 40 days or so before he threw in the towel. You learned what not to do, but at least learned something.

I caught that show too. I thought it was real good. The guy basically snapped. Thought it was a good representation of just how hard it would be to survive in situation like that.

----------
Hunting is my religion
G
G
Always thought it should be "Man adapts to Nature" instead of "Man Vs Nature".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was wondering where last night's episode was shot. It's not a "how to" show. It's entertainment, and I get that from it. My kids love it, and it's actually something pretty cool for us to watch as a family. Call him all the names you want, when I overhear my kids playing in the windbreak out in the pasture and they're building shelters and setting traps playing "Man V Wild" I get warm and fuzzy. Why all the venom directed at the man?

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's show business. Gotta entertain the viewers, especially those who don't know anything about the outdoors. As others have said, try that stuff Bear presents in his shows and videos in a real survival situation, you'll end up deader than a burnt boot.

There are informative survival videos made by Ron Hood that offer a great deal of practical methods of outdoor survival. Hood has been practicing and teaching outdoor survival for many years and is an accomplished outdoorsman.

He also was a U.S. Army ASA team member (Army Security Agency), serving in Turkey and then 18 months in Vietnam, where he was wounded. (The first U.S. Army soldier killed in Vietnam, was an ASA team member.)

Hood and his wife, Karen, have long been in the "survival business" and know the subject.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I am a member of Hoods Woods and enjoy the Hoodlums fourm alot I spend more time there then here. I don't post alot there becouse with such a great group and so much knowledge I don't need to add anything. I'v wounderd how many here are Hoodlums?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If your gonna watch "reality shows", stick with Survivor. At least the bikini's are real.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.