Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
.257 Wby is a dandy; the only one I like better is the .270 Wby. Only slightly less in the trajectory department, slicker bullets (better BCs), more power. It's the .257 on steroids...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's hell on 'yotes too...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kinda hard on the fur though...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heres my el cheapo 26" Rem 700 SPS topped w/ a VX-III 3.5-10x40. Shoots bugholes at 200 yards with factory 100 grain TSX's. Heres a Bou I shot at 425 yards, temp was between -10 and -20 degrees F. I just hope its enough gun to kill lower 48 whitetails when I move south!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AC,
Figured you'd post on this one sooner or later - how's that factory SPS stock holding up for you?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not bad, I gave it a [bleep] tan colored paint job, but it still works. If you recall I ordered a Mc Edge for it and it came with the wrong barrel contour, that sucked! Havent ordered another for it yet.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

I dont know how you blokes think you can get good performance from a mere push feed. Don't you listen to the CRF experts? A rifle is not worth zip for anything unless it is a CRF.

grin grin

I didn't get that memo either....
[Linked Image]

First three down the new pipe prior to working up a "good load"... blush
[Linked Image]
grin

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Lassie-not knocking you but 3920 with a 25/06AI and 87's is really out there...either you're toting a 30" plus barrel and or a rubber mallet to pound the bolt open.. wink

What length tube and what is your load data to get a 87 to 3920?

And trust me when I say that I'm not the only one who's gonna call on this one.

Thx
Dober

I am really sorry that you are not as educated as you think you are if you was you would not posted what you did!
But here is your first lesson about wildcats.

1 buy the two books that P O Ackley wrote then you can be as smart as you think you are!
2 buy you a rifle in 25-06 AI and a chronograph and see it for your self as I and many many more have done then you won't be calling me a liar as you are now.
3 with your attitude I really shouldn't be be going to the trouble to even answer your question about it in the first place.
4 get educated before you talk about something you know nothing about this only spreads stupidity I was maybe reloading before you dirtied your first diaper.
some times it is much better to lesson and keep your mouth shut then you have a chance to learn something in your case that is just a very slim maybe!
And the 25-06AI is not a barrel burner that every one thinks it is.

NOW HERE IS THE LOAD FOR 3920 FEET PER SECOND FROM A 25-06AI with 26 inch barrel
87 GRAIN BULLET
IMR 4831 POWDER 65.0 GRAINS
3920 FEET PER SECOND

now if you don't believe me look at
AMMOGUID.COM THIS IS WHERE THIS INFO WAS COPIED FROM
OR ACKLEY'S BOOKS

Now you will hear the 257 Weatherby will beat the 25-06 AI this true too but this is because the 257 has the same size brass as the 7mm remington mag infact you can make 257 brass from the 7mm mag all you have to do neck size it to 25 caliber.
If you want to learn a lot more about guns and ammo PM me. I will be more than glad to give the truth about any of them that I have had personal expirence with.
13 of my 32 rifles I built them myself.
Here is my 1896 mauser 22-250 with Richards Apache thumbhole
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by LASSIE; 01/30/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So are you saying if it's printed somewhere it must be true?

I just grabbed the 49th edition of the Lyman reloading handbook, it's what was handiest. Page 172, 257 Weatherby

87g Jacketed SP
H-4831
max 73.0g
3731 fps

8g more of the same powder, pushing the same bullet and your getting 189fps more out of the same length tube? Lots of variables and you read about zero free-bore and such, but again it must be true because everything wrote down has to be true.

I'll be the first to admit I'm far from an expert on anything when it comes to guns or reloading, but sarcastic posts are getting to be an all to frequent thing around here. And I didn't think Marks response was bad at all, the follow up to it sounds like it should go into the Gun Shop BS thread located somewhere else.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LASSIE-

Chill the hell out man. Mark wasn't calling your kids ugly nor was he calling you a liar - simply questioning your speeds. If you wanna take offense to something, take offense to me calling that stock the fugliest thing I've ever seen. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I'd trust Mark's advice any day. I've yet to read anything but smart, "reasonable man" type responses from him.

I believe you are in fact getting those velocities with your rifle. I am not calling you a liar. I also believe that load is way over pressure and you are fool if you think it is safe unless the load has been pressure tested.
According to Hodgden, a standard 25-06 load using IMR4831 and an 87gr bullet gives about 3350fps. Your getting 600fps more. AI'ing a cartridge will not give you that much of a jump in performance without an associated huge jump in pressure.

Another one for ignore...

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 01/30/10. Reason: trying to be nicer :)
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only 257 WBY I ever worked with was a friends Ruger MKII rebarreled with a 26" Shilen and Brown Precision stock. It would push 90 grain X's at 3,780-ish (RL22) and group them under .5 for five shots. Wicked accurate rifle.

Though a "book load" I suspect it was pushing the envelope... however, I'm of the opinion that many guys attracted to rounds like the 257 Wby, 6-06 and all the Ai's are more prone to redlining than the average 308 shooter grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boys please be nice we are all of the .25 bore persuasion

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Not bad, I gave it a [bleep] tan colored paint job, but it still works. If you recall I ordered a Mc Edge for it and it came with the wrong barrel contour, that sucked! Havent ordered another for it yet.

Rick made a comment about the barrel contour when I ordered. Instead of ordering factory mag b/c, he ordered it as the factory 257 weatherby magnum contour. Hope I don't end up in the same boat you were in...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by himmelrr
I'd trust Mark's advice any day. I've yet to read anything but smart, "reasonable man" type responses from him.

I believe you are in fact getting those velocities with your rifle. I am not calling you a liar. I also believe that load is way over pressure and you are fool if you think it is safe unless the load has been pressure tested.
According to Hodgden, a standard 25-06 load using IMR4831 and an 87gr bullet gives about 3350fps. Your getting 600fps more. AI'ing a cartridge will not give you that much of a jump in performance without an associated huge jump in pressure.

Another one for ignore...

RH

+1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One thing that should be noted, if all you can comment on is excessive pressure, just shut up...you might learn something from a very experienced wildcatter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Rick made a comment about the barrel contour when I ordered. Instead of ordering factory mag b/c, he ordered it as the factory 257 weatherby magnum contour. Hope I don't end up in the same boat you were in...

I hear ya, I am no gunsmith, so I figured when I said 257 Weatherby , they would know what I needed. I think I got a sporter barel contour. May need to try ordering another one up sometime soon.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The magnum contour Edge fit my 257Wby M700 LSS. Would think the sporter contour would be a little tight...

randy..
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
700 SPS 257 wby mag. 26"bbl. this is the remington 700 magnum sporter contour. The regular sporter contour is smaller. It fits 270, 06, and the like.

Last edited by Dufur; 01/31/10.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith
One thing that should be noted, if all you can comment on is excessive pressure, just shut up...you might learn something from a very experienced wildcatter.

Excessive pressure is what makes rifles come apart. Are you saying it is not important? All else being equal, more pressure = more velocity. I'd say it is important.

Sorry Keith, but there is nothing I want to learn from someone who shoots a 25-06AI to over 3900fps with an 87gr bullet. If LASSIE has pressure tested the load, then he has my apologies because he is doing things intelligently. If he hasn't, well then that is his business and I have no use for his advice.

RH

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
himmelrr, guys that talk about pressure have very little experience in shooting wild cat cartridges, and it is very obvious from their posts.

himmelrr, if everyone is going to have to provide you with pressure tests on their wild cat loads, I doubt if you will ever learn anything new.

Many benchrest rifles that are shot in Registered matches today are NOT within SAAMI spec loads, that is a good place to start learning.

I put a post on this board not long ago inquiring if anyone had ever heard of anyone ever blowing up an action on a modern rifle EXCLUDING cases where the wrong powder had been substituted in a reload. No one responded that they had actual experience in seeing one blow up.

Ferris Pendel made an action where they drove 8 bullets down the barrel, then fired a 60,000 psi load behind the 8 bullets in the barrel, and the action did not come apart.

One thing about LASSIE, he did offer anyone the chance to learn from him. Since he built his own rifles, I bet there is a world of knowledge there.

The mind has to be like a parachute to work properly....open.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,672
Posts18,513,157
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.