Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[Linked Image]

Just under 19" (measured years later)
340 lbs
6'7" Sq

Dober

Good stats on the Yogi...but who's the kid in the picture??.... whistle

All kidding aside....nothing like some of your pics to get a guy revved up for Bear... grin
I won't let my wife look at them... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Originally Posted by ingwe
So would this be another one of those hunts where guns are optional???

And beverage is mandatory???

Cause I dont wanna shoot any more bears... sno-gophs maybe.... whistle

BTW: THe .223AI is done, and it is a GOOD thing...

Ingwe

No, thats fly fishing in the summer.

Why don't you and Sammers meet up on the S. Side of the Sun, drag a camper down to the family spread (you'd have water and a [bleep].) Just watch for Grizzlies laugh I got a feeling Mark knows the area pretty well...

I will do my BEST to get Travis a bear. We'll have to see how motivated his Buddy is. He may be my beer drinking/C1500 sneak buddy the whole time. If they don't tag out, there's ALWAYS September (I see more bears then anyhow??)

Trust me, motivation is not an issue. wink The only rough spot right now is I'm on the fence, as far as which rifle to drag along.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

This old boy was taken on the same day I've taken 2 other big boys, May 27th has been a good day for me and a lucky day for me finding big boyz..

18 10/16" (measured years later, was 19 at the time)
340 lbs
6'10" sq.

When I spotted him all I could see was his head, he was about 200 yds away and I could see the drool on his lips as he was a chasing the ladies. Horny old bugger let me get close enough to use an 06 on him. Two 180 Sierra BT's did him in, found em both in him and they looked model perfect.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mark..that last pic didnt come through...

but while Im thinking about it, didnt you call in and kill a 7'3"???

My best was a Cinnamon, 6'6" #350 and I measured the skull at 19.75" IIRC, no pics, just a rug....

If I was right about the seven footer, have you got a pic?

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Tried to make it a bit smaller. We saw 5 bruins this night (fall), called in one to close...range. Let him go, and then we got this one. Ca't recall the specs for sure but this will be close (my friend took it with his 300 win boat paddle with 180 Horns).

6 1/6 foor
350 lbs
19" beaner

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah I did, give me a bit I' kind of slow with this pic thing, I'm kind of a bear and photobucket virgin...grin

Dober

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Here's the 7 footer Ingwe and yeah I did call him in. Had him @ 8 yds at first but couldn't get a shot...ended up taking him right at dark @ 90 yds, pic was taken the next morn. I'd been crawling around on hands and knees in the berry thicket with a head lamp on when I decided to come back in the morn... shocked

Another with my G33, it was an 06 then, 180 Speer Mag tip another good CNC bullet by my way of thinking.

7'1" sq
416 lbs
20"

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 02/14/10.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's -20 below up here and looking at all these great pics of bears is driving me up a wall. May seems a long way off right now.

Thanks for posting them.

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, maybe a photobucket virgin..... wink

Ingwe

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
[Linked Image]

Dats a toad........

grin
Ingwe

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Just an FYI for the campfire... Dober and I have been friends for the better part of a decade. Every year he calls in and looks over 50-ish bears per season. In all the time we've been friends, I don't think he's pulled the trigger on a single bear... beginning to think they've bought him off with honey or some such (grin).

Truth is, Mark enjoys the hunt more than the kill and it will likely take a boar in the top ten all-time for him to pull the trigger.

There's something about maturity as a hunter that is inspiring... Mark has that in spades.

NB my friends...

And if you can find a old copy of the article Mark wrote in the Montana Sporting Journal a couple years ago grab it. It has a ton of information on hunting spring bears.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Those are some awesome bear photos Mark! Thanks for sharing.

I'd have a hard time telling if one was top ten all-time without a cleaned off skull and a pair of calipers.

I like plugging one annually and wish we could shoot more, predator management .. and boatloads of fun hunting!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dober, great bears!

Looks like you got the PB bugs worked out.
You'll have to post some mulie pics one of these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, You are the "Bear Whisperer".....well done my friend. I've said this before, IMO a big mature black bear is a top notch trophy that I've always held in very high regard. One of my favorite big game animals. Some of those big boars are 20+ years old...that right there is pretty cool.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

By far the best trophy I've ever taken with a bow...spot and stalk deal that ended with a 20 yard shot. Was able to get him out whole and weighed him at Haples Meat Market near Bozeman...he went 270 pounds. Skull was 19 2/16".

Last edited by scenarshooter; 02/14/10.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hot damn! Dober is finally posting pics? This will add a whole new dimension to the fire! grin

Awesome bear pics Dober. Thanks for sharing.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, that bow-bear hunt had to be a rush!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pat, are you calling bears to the bow??

Dat, would be phun right there....

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ingwe, No, that was a chance happening on that bear....I saw him from the main road (Bridger Canyon) and was able to get above him staying in the timber above the park he was feeding in. It was almost dark when I got the shot. He was walking a game trail that lead right past where I was standing. When he got to within my range I gave a little low whistle and had a perfect broadside shot. The thing I remember most was how quiet he was when he was walking towards me on that game trail. I came back with a friend in the morning and found him only 80 yards from where he was hit.

[Linked Image]

Fall bear killed in a chokecherry patch....

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent!

I've called just enough bears to know it would be a dandy way to get them in bow range, or handgun if that is the preferred method.

Accidentally got a sow with cubs coming one night...she didnt read the manual enough to realize she was supposed to stop when I quit calling...

It got a little western out there...but nobody, including her, got hurt...

Ive used the Wayne Carltons call and it is the only thing Ive ever seen that seems to make a black bear truly aggressive..

Ingwe

Page 7 of 32 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.