Home
Anyone sides me jonsing to get after it this spring..?

Dober
My wife...but don't you dare tell her about spring bear hunting!! shocked

Ingwe
Already did, told her about a wonderful place chalk full of bruins in the Scapegoat the two of you could backpack into and have a couple fine days of togetherness... smile

Dober
cry

Ingwe
Well, I ain't from Big Sky country, though I am jonesin' a bit to try and make a trip out west. I know the weather is pretty unpredictable out there, but would the first two weeks of May be worth trying to make a trip?
I'll be in Montana hunting bears starting 19 May. I'm leaning forward in my foxhole in anticipation. Can't wait to be there.

Steve
I'm winding up Mark. I've been doing some climbing to keep my mind off it, but come April I'll have a one track mind.

Think middle two weeks Scorpion. If your coming out let me know.
Dober, this thread is just not fair! wink Wish we could hunt'em in the spring also!
Me too. Fall bear hunting really sucks here in CO.

Any suggestions for an out of stater bear hunt in Montana?
Yep, get your tag b4 April 14th... wink

Dober
So far it's looking like we are going to have an early spring up here, unless winter happens fierce here in Feb.. But, I was looking at green grass on the side of the road yesterday and my wheels were turning.
Lucky dawg! I look at the sides of our roads and all I see is ice and lots of white..

Dober
I can look up and see brown grass in the alpine right now.. Our rivers are going to be very low this summer unless we get some snow up there. But, we might have a very early bear season...
Like I said, lucky perro!

Dober
had hoped to give it a try this summer.....back aint cooperating though so it aint likely frown
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Well, I ain't from Big Sky country, though I am jonesin' a bit to try and make a trip out west. I know the weather is pretty unpredictable out there, but would the first two weeks of May be worth trying to make a trip?

Scorp, no one quite answered your post...so I will....chances are that first 2 weeks of May is NOT a good time...still not greened up in most places.
Also, spring regulations changed a few years ago, and in many places, it will already be closed after that....check the regs!, but usually, if you can hunt the last two weeks in may, prefferably the last one...you'd be golden!

Ingwe
Just like Taz said no spring bear hunts here, but looking forward to spring Turkey!
I'll be headed to the Idaho Panhandle for bears the last week in May. Was just talking to a couple buddies and making plans for the trip yesterday. May cannot get here soon enough!
Scorpion, I see you question was answered, but pay close attention as there is a chance that the spring bear season may be extended for 2 weeks in some districts. At our local FWP comment meeting last week, reaction was favorable to it. mtmuley
I cant wait. Started to hit the gym so I can keep up with Carl this year smile
Keeping up with Carl aka "The Billy Goat" isn't something I'd wish to try...unless he's carrying my gun/pack/lunch etc..grin

On the dates to hunt. 4 me, I've found that certain parts of the state are good right from Mid April on. But those parts are tough to find. Then there is parts of the state where you'll not be finding bruins till mid May.

And then there's the rest of the state. You'll see some bruins out on the opener. Area depending but many times these will be the juvi's that didn't go very high or far in to go to sleep. And or the mom's that didn't take the pups very far in to sleep either.

Many people say that the first bruins out are the big boars, to date and in watching them and being a student of them for 30+ years I've not found that to be true.

Generally I've found that for most of this state that may 13th is the magic time. That meaning that I feel that there's a vast majority of the bruins out at that time.

And in early to mid may things are just beginning to catch some green. So it tends to keep the bruins in smaller areas, IE you can limit your search areas a bit. As you push on towards late May you'll find that the green is about everywhere. And the bruins can begin to roam a lot more, hence once again making it a bit tougher.

Then in and around Mem day you'll find that the bruins are beginning to think about finding lady friends. The good and the bad to that time to me is such. You may well find a bruiser but if you don't get on him and kill him that night IME you may well not see him again.

Anyway you look at it getting out after spring bruins is an incredibly fun and enjoyable time. Plus it's a better place to work out than the gym.

Dober
Anyone sides me jonsing to get after it this spring..?

Dober, you're as bad as the boys at the 'horn. wink
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Scorpion, I see you question was answered, but pay close attention as there is a chance that the spring bear season may be extended for 2 weeks in some districts. At our local FWP comment meeting last week, reaction was favorable to it. mtmuley

That is good to hear since in the NW part of MT, many of the bears may still be in the den when the season closes; like 2 yrs ago.
So are these bear hunts under bait or are they spot and stalk. Bear season sounds like a great time but I am not for the baiting bears hunting. Good luck too you Dober!!! HAPPY HUNTING
Killing bears if more fun that drowning kittens and I'll be doing it this spring for sure, maybe in a copule of states. I prefer to hunt April 15th through June 15th and have taken good bears on both those dates and many in between.. no magic numbers other than the right weather and good luck..
Originally Posted by ruger243223
So are these bear hunts under bait or are they spot and stalk. Bear season sounds like a great time but I am not for the baiting bears hunting. Good luck too you Dober!!! HAPPY HUNTING

cant bait in Montana
Sorry fairchase, everything that could be extended is in region 2 and region 3, region 1 won't be affected.
I'm chomping at the bit though, can't wait to get out there and posthole in drifts and be covered in ticks.
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
no magic numbers other than the right weather and good luck..

Just out of curiousity, what kind of weather is the "right" kind for bears?
My wife will be due with our next baby about then so no it is hard to get excited about it, but ya never know.
That IMO would depend on the time of year.

Dober
Maybe someday Montana will get over the anti-baiting crap. mtmuley
I'm beyond excited for burrr season. Had a trip planned last year that was canceled due to my then wife coming to her senses and giving me the boot... cry

But this year it is on like donkey-kong my campfire friends. I'm going with that azzhat DanAdair. But don't tell him I referred to him as an azzhat until after the season closes. grin

Travis
Goin from an ex-wife to Adair....

Doooooood.... thats a toss-up.... grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by rl11
Sorry fairchase, everything that could be extended is in region 2 and region 3, region 1 won't be affected.
I'm chomping at the bit though, can't wait to get out there and posthole in drifts and be covered in ticks.

Region 1 is where 3/4 of the bears are harvested so I can see why that area has the shortest season and would never consider a lengthened season. Live in Bozeman but the wife's parents live on Bull Lake and the amt of bears in region 1 can be crazy at times. This past fall while elk bow hunting, on ONE day I saw 6 different bears. Living in a state (MT) that does not allow baiting, I really do not feel that we are at a disadvantage; although I am sure that baiting would lead to more dead bears.

I personally sure hope it doesn't.
Mark, Post up a pic or two of some of those honkers you've taken....
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

I personally sure hope it doesn't.

I'm with you Carl, that's not something I'd care to see and I really don't think we need to worry about it much either.

Dober
A lot of Montana topography lends itself to spot and stalk bear hunting better than some other places. Where that's available, it's the most fun hunt IMO.
What's the problem with baiting? mtmuley
Bait hunting is for pussies and makes the bears hang where they won't naturally hang in the spring, on steep green up south facing hillsides and slides.. laugh

I'm still wondering what kind of weather is the "right" kind for bears?

Originally Posted by oldslowdog

The kind where/when the snow pack isn't substantial. I find it hard to kill a sleeping bear.

The kind where clouds dont obscure the mountain side your trying to glass. Or the kind that doesnt blow you off the mountain side. Spring weather in Montana can be wet, dry, cold, warm, hot, snowing, sunshine, cloudy, foggy, well you get the idea.
You are a greenhorn, aren't ya? mtmuley
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Mark, Post up a pic or two of some of those honkers you've taken....

Dober has taken some STUD bears for sure.

Aside, five years ago he and I saw an old blackie boar feeding on an elk carcass that Dober felt certain would make top ten or better all-time MT bears. Looked more like a grizz, and was a greasy, stinky mess covered in elk goo.

Since Mark's forgotten more about bears than most currently know I'll take his word for it laugh

You are a greenhorn, aren't ya? mtmuley

Ha, I needed a good chuckle after a rough night at work...
Originally Posted by ingwe
Goin from an ex-wife to Adair....

Doooooood.... thats a toss-up.... grin

Ingwe

Not really... I'm a better cook, and you can bounce quarters off my ass laugh

But yeah, I'm looking forward to it myself. I've got Travis and another 'Fire member for the best week up here, and its looking like an early spring unless Febuary gets nasty.

On the weather end of it... Seems like the most sightings come right about when the rivers are running clear still and have come up to about where they were the previous September. Once they get all blown out (muddy and bank full) they do tend to spread out more (and are tougher to sight)

Thats long been my dilemna in the spring.... Go try and shoot a bear, or drown a Double Bunny beadhead or streamers for the big funny looking Cuttthroats with the white edges on their fins. There's something about pissed off 6 pound trout on 4 wt hardware in the spring...
You hunt bears down by the river Dan? Down here they don't go anywhere near main waterways in the spring, but stay way up high instead.
Scenar-hope all is well your way, lifes good here but while we need more white I am rapidly getting a bit over it..

I'd post pics if I wasn't such and idiot and new how. Need to sit down and sort out how to do it someday. Most would just laugh at the rocky racoon bruins I've taken though.. wink

Dober
Most would just laugh at the rocky racoon bruins I've taken though.

Mark, I respectfully call BS!
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Scenar-hope all is well your way, lifes good here but while we need more white I am rapidly getting a bit over it..

I'd post pics if I wasn't such and idiot and new how. Need to sit down and sort out how to do it someday. Most would just laugh at the rocky racoon bruins I've taken though.. wink

Dober

[Linked Image]
I'd like to send some of this stuff your way!....grin!!
[Linked Image]
600 pounder......grin!!
Pat, that first pic looks a little chilly!

I'm up on the hi-line right now myself. Forgot how damn cold it gets up here. First couple days were rather...uh...'refreshing' with the breeze.
Glad it's warming up this week!
Are you in Wolf Point?....get a chance stop by for a visit!!

You know you live in winter world when you go outside in the morning and one below feels warm!!....laffin!
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I'm up on the hi-line right now myself. Forgot how damn cold it gets up here. First couple days were rather...uh...'refreshing' with the breeze.

wuss............ grin
You hunt bears down by the river Dan? Down here they don't go anywhere near main waterways in the spring, but stay way up high instead.

They do here too... But its tough to pass up a shot at hungry Bulls in May

Dober

Does this one qualify?

[Linked Image]
Love that picture fairchase, a dandy. Sometimes you just gotta kill chit.
Last spring I almost knocked over a little blonde right about that size.
I'm watching the months fly by and I can't wait for spring. I love bear hunting . . .
Originally Posted by FAIRCHASE2007

Dober

Does this one qualify?

[Linked Image]

How did you get that bear to parachute in so you could shoot him...? grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by FAIRCHASE2007

Dober

Does this one qualify?

[Linked Image]

How did you get that bear to parachute in so you could shoot him...? grin

Ingwe

I actually shot him as he was going for the PBJ in my pack and that's how he died wink
I actually shot him as he was going for the PBJ in my pack and that's how he died wink

No baiting allowed. grin
laugh

Ingwe
Originally Posted by rattler

wuss............ grin

Rattler, I'm really feeling sorry for you.
That walk from the front door to the truck has got to be a killer......Makes a guy start thinkin' about one of those nice inside jobs.....(laughin'!)

Pat, I'd swing by but I do the Terry cut-across route down to the interstate.
Gotta pick up some more 'supplies' on the drive back.

We'll catch ya on the next go....travel safe.
Right on Pat, meeting up would be fun.

And the next go might not be far off(calving) or maybe playing farmer later this Spring.

Lots of fun to be had up here!
(grin)
Originally Posted by rattler

wuss............ grin

Rattler, I'm really feeling sorry for you.
That walk from the front door to the truck has got to be a killer......Makes a guy start thinkin' about one of those nice inside jobs.....(laughin'!)

[bleep] its rough man but someone has to do it grin
69 days....
65 days

laugh
Can't wait buddy.

Travis
I want to shoot a bear.
Not as bad as I do. I've never smoked one.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
I've never smoked one.
It's bad deflave, don't do it. You'll never be the same. It will screw up your life, especially in the spring. It's like meth, and once you try it you'll want one in a much worse way. Leave the bears in MT to filthy addicts like me.

Haven't you seen the ads??

Not even once...

Fuggin rollin...

Certainly don't ever feed the Bulls a Double Bunny bead head (errr, I mean Cutthroat) in the spring either.

I've never shot one either, I'm holding out for something "interesting" Seriously, every time I got the crosshairs on one I start thinking "a rug is at least 200/foot..." I want a color phase one for my first laugh
I've never smoked one.
It's bad deflave, don't do it. You'll never be the same. It will screw up your life, especially in the spring. It's like meth, and once you try it you'll want one in a much worse way. Leave the bears in MT to filthy addicts like me.

Haven't you seen the ads??

Not even once...

I can stay in control. I'm different than those other people...sob...wimper... grin

Care to share some pics of some bruisers you've smoked? I could use the entertainment this time of year and I do love looking at pics of good critters before I go out looking for one.

Travis
[Linked Image]
Cool pic Greenie!
Now I wouldn't even think twice about pulling the trigger on that one laugh

I might think... "Its 200/ KABOOM... Dammit my taxidermist is going to love me..."
He's puuurdy!

Yes Dan, I mean the bear...

Thanks Greenhorn.

Travis
[Linked Image]

Another one for ya'll.....this boar was a shade over 19" and about 6 1/2'.

Taken in Park County Montana in Tom Miner Basin...back in the day!!
[Linked Image]

Shot in the Gallatin Range, South of Bozeman, Montana.
[Linked Image]

A guy has to watch out for these bad boys....cool to see and look at....from a distance....grin!! These were less than 200 yards. It was a sow with two, two year old cubs. Pic taken in Montana's Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness. Saw 5 grizzlys and 3 black bears that day.
[Linked Image]

Kind of a cool colored one....upper Yellowstone River.
When you guys (think) gonna get a grizzly season down that way?
That would be nice!! It's been awhile since we've been able to hunt them here....probably 25 years at least.
[Linked Image]

A guy has to watch out for these bad boys....cool to see and look at....from a distance....grin!! These were less than 200 yards. It was a sow with two, two year old cubs. Pic taken in Montana's Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness. Saw 5 grizzlys and 3 black bears that day.

Pat, that is a great pic!

Dober
[Linked Image]

Blackie I killed in Alaska a few years back....

Thanks Mark.....I'm getting bear fever really bad!!
Me two!!

Can't wait can't wait..studying my maps nightly. Pretty much every year I try to find new honey holes and spend less time in the ones I've been going to for years. It's sort of fun for me and kind of like sorting out a puzzle.

Thinking I found a really good new one for this year. Thinking that is, time will tell.

Dober
I'm coming down in May to chase a few bears around with greenhorn....I'll look you up when I get down and we can go eat a steak somewhere....Land Of Magic still open over in Logan?
Thanks for the pics SS.

Gettin' real excited.

Travis
That'd be good Pat, and yeah LOM is still serving good grub. My fav of the valley by far though is Ribs @ Willow Creek Cafe.

Send me a PM when you know when you'll be this way and we'll get it sorted out.

Dober
A ginormous grizzly/black bear mix (grin)...

[Linked Image]
That is one good looking.........mato.. grin

Dober
Yeah, yeah (grin)...
[Linked Image]
Good night boyz.......dream of bruins tonight!

Dober
Geez Brad that is a beautiful bear! Congrats on that one...love the coloration!

Hey where is the camo!?LOL! grin
I'd shot it....

North Fork has lots of 6'ers that are your textbook blackies. I've always had a hard time getting excited about that.

But then, if I did shoot one, it'd be good practice laugh
You need to get Travis a bruin....
Can't wait to hear the reports.. grin

Ingwe
If that the case you need to get me a bear!

Okay, I don't really want to shoot one but it would still be fun....(grin)
So would this be another one of those hunts where guns are optional???

And beverage is mandatory???

Cause I dont wanna shoot any more bears... sno-gophs maybe.... whistle

BTW: THe .223AI is done, and it is a GOOD thing...

Ingwe
Seems to be a recurring theme.
Yeah, but no mention of a cow camp with a warm stove this time.... frown

Ingwe
No bears up there, not that it seems to matter.....(laughin'!)
I know where theres a cow camp, with stove( just like yours actually) and oodles of bears.....but don't tell my wife..besides, at that time of year, we would prolly have to be heli-lifted in there....

Ingwe
Helicopter....doesn't JB have one?
No...but I'll bet he has the "pull" to get one.... wink

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

I'm thinking that this old boy wants to play catch after lunch.. wink

Dober

That'll do smile
[Linked Image]
Pig ears.
Hey didn't think I'd put that pic of me up... grin

Dober

[Linked Image]

Now there's one of me with pig ears, and yeah I know it was from many moons ago...

Dober

Ingwe

No, thats fly fishing in the summer.

Why don't you and Sammers meet up on the S. Side of the Sun, drag a camper down to the family spread (you'd have water and a [bleep].) Just watch for Grizzlies laugh I got a feeling Mark knows the area pretty well...

I will do my BEST to get Travis a bear. We'll have to see how motivated his Buddy is. He may be my beer drinking/C1500 sneak buddy the whole time. If they don't tag out, there's ALWAYS September (I see more bears then anyhow??)
[Linked Image]

And here's another one of pigs ears, take your pic if it's me or the bruin. This is one I called in, call him Vinnie the Vinyl bear as he ate the seat off my atv the night b4 (+bit the tires) and we found pieces of the seat in his droppings...

Dober
Ass sweat will do it everytime....

Had a pack horse do that once at the ranch (he didn't do it twice)
Actually it was blood from a critter taken early in the day and ported away.

Dober
Ahhh...

Something like this?

[Linked Image]

Or were you not in Sammers neighborhood? laugh laugh
Some stud bear Dober...
[Linked Image]

Thx Mac, and here's another pic of the one bruin.

Just under 19" (measured years later)
340 lbs
6'7" Sq

Taken in late April. I shot him @ 17 yds as he was turning to get out of dodge and about dark thirty. Hit him on the point of the right front shoulder with my 340 and a 250 Nozler (2nd). Turns out he was heading into his den, had to play lab and fetch him. Found the 250 looking model perfect right at his tail. Long hike out that night (actually had to do the hike 2x as both my flash lights died and I had to hike out and back for a third light) but it was a good night but a long/short one.

Dober
Just an FYI for the campfire... Dober and I have been friends for the better part of a decade. Every year he calls in and looks over 50-ish bears per season. In all the time we've been friends, I don't think he's pulled the trigger on a single bear... beginning to think they've bought him off with honey or some such (grin).

Truth is, Mark enjoys the hunt more than the kill and it will likely take a boar in the top ten all-time for him to pull the trigger.

There's something about maturity as a hunter that is inspiring... Mark has that in spades.

NB my friends...
[Linked Image]

Just under 19" (measured years later)
340 lbs
6'7" Sq

Dober

Good stats on the Yogi...but who's the kid in the picture??.... whistle

All kidding aside....nothing like some of your pics to get a guy revved up for Bear... grin
I won't let my wife look at them... wink

Ingwe
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Ingwe

No, thats fly fishing in the summer.

Why don't you and Sammers meet up on the S. Side of the Sun, drag a camper down to the family spread (you'd have water and a [bleep].) Just watch for Grizzlies laugh I got a feeling Mark knows the area pretty well...

I will do my BEST to get Travis a bear. We'll have to see how motivated his Buddy is. He may be my beer drinking/C1500 sneak buddy the whole time. If they don't tag out, there's ALWAYS September (I see more bears then anyhow??)

Trust me, motivation is not an issue. wink The only rough spot right now is I'm on the fence, as far as which rifle to drag along.
[Linked Image]

This old boy was taken on the same day I've taken 2 other big boys, May 27th has been a good day for me and a lucky day for me finding big boyz..

18 10/16" (measured years later, was 19 at the time)
340 lbs
6'10" sq.

When I spotted him all I could see was his head, he was about 200 yds away and I could see the drool on his lips as he was a chasing the ladies. Horny old bugger let me get close enough to use an 06 on him. Two 180 Sierra BT's did him in, found em both in him and they looked model perfect.

Dober
Mark..that last pic didnt come through...

but while Im thinking about it, didnt you call in and kill a 7'3"???

My best was a Cinnamon, 6'6" #350 and I measured the skull at 19.75" IIRC, no pics, just a rug....

If I was right about the seven footer, have you got a pic?

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

Tried to make it a bit smaller. We saw 5 bruins this night (fall), called in one to close...range. Let him go, and then we got this one. Ca't recall the specs for sure but this will be close (my friend took it with his 300 win boat paddle with 180 Horns).

6 1/6 foor
350 lbs
19" beaner

Dober
Yeah I did, give me a bit I' kind of slow with this pic thing, I'm kind of a bear and photobucket virgin...grin

Dober
[Linked Image]

Here's the 7 footer Ingwe and yeah I did call him in. Had him @ 8 yds at first but couldn't get a shot...ended up taking him right at dark @ 90 yds, pic was taken the next morn. I'd been crawling around on hands and knees in the berry thicket with a head lamp on when I decided to come back in the morn... shocked

Another with my G33, it was an 06 then, 180 Speer Mag tip another good CNC bullet by my way of thinking.

7'1" sq
416 lbs
20"

Dober
It's -20 below up here and looking at all these great pics of bears is driving me up a wall. May seems a long way off right now.

Thanks for posting them.
Well, maybe a photobucket virgin..... wink

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

Dats a toad........

grin
Ingwe
Originally Posted by Brad
Just an FYI for the campfire... Dober and I have been friends for the better part of a decade. Every year he calls in and looks over 50-ish bears per season. In all the time we've been friends, I don't think he's pulled the trigger on a single bear... beginning to think they've bought him off with honey or some such (grin).

Truth is, Mark enjoys the hunt more than the kill and it will likely take a boar in the top ten all-time for him to pull the trigger.

There's something about maturity as a hunter that is inspiring... Mark has that in spades.

NB my friends...

And if you can find a old copy of the article Mark wrote in the Montana Sporting Journal a couple years ago grab it. It has a ton of information on hunting spring bears.
Those are some awesome bear photos Mark! Thanks for sharing.

I'd have a hard time telling if one was top ten all-time without a cleaned off skull and a pair of calipers.

I like plugging one annually and wish we could shoot more, predator management .. and boatloads of fun hunting!
Dober, great bears!

Looks like you got the PB bugs worked out.
You'll have to post some mulie pics one of these days.
Mark, You are the "Bear Whisperer".....well done my friend. I've said this before, IMO a big mature black bear is a top notch trophy that I've always held in very high regard. One of my favorite big game animals. Some of those big boars are 20+ years old...that right there is pretty cool.....
[Linked Image]

By far the best trophy I've ever taken with a bow...spot and stalk deal that ended with a 20 yard shot. Was able to get him out whole and weighed him at Haples Meat Market near Bozeman...he went 270 pounds. Skull was 19 2/16".
Hot damn! Dober is finally posting pics? This will add a whole new dimension to the fire! grin

Awesome bear pics Dober. Thanks for sharing.

Travis
Pat, that bow-bear hunt had to be a rush!
Pat, are you calling bears to the bow??

Dat, would be phun right there....

Ingwe
Ingwe, No, that was a chance happening on that bear....I saw him from the main road (Bridger Canyon) and was able to get above him staying in the timber above the park he was feeding in. It was almost dark when I got the shot. He was walking a game trail that lead right past where I was standing. When he got to within my range I gave a little low whistle and had a perfect broadside shot. The thing I remember most was how quiet he was when he was walking towards me on that game trail. I came back with a friend in the morning and found him only 80 yards from where he was hit.

[Linked Image]

Fall bear killed in a chokecherry patch....
Excellent!

I've called just enough bears to know it would be a dandy way to get them in bow range, or handgun if that is the preferred method.

Accidentally got a sow with cubs coming one night...she didnt read the manual enough to realize she was supposed to stop when I quit calling...

It got a little western out there...but nobody, including her, got hurt...

Ive used the Wayne Carltons call and it is the only thing Ive ever seen that seems to make a black bear truly aggressive..

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

A black bear taken in Sepember above the South Nahanni River in Canada's Northwest Territories. This area had the heaviest concentration of grizzly bears I've ever seen....from the banks of the river in one evening we glassed and counted 8 mature boar grizzly bears working berries on the side slopes of the Ragged Range.
Bet that made the black bears nervous grin

I hunted in the Kuskokwim (sp?) range in Alaska, lots of both kind of bears, tried sneaking up to calling distance to a black bear and calling him...he lit out of there like his hair was on fire! shocked

Didn't think of it till later, but in that neighborhood, unlike alot of MT, he wasn't at the top of the food chain... wink

Ingwe
Woof's will hunt down and kill coyotes, will the Boss griz make it a point to go after(run down) a black bear?

Great pics all-around!
Awesome pics SS.

Let's keep the bear talk going...

Travis
Right on....

What were you hunting in Alaska? (besides bears....grin!)
Caribou...but my pard had a black bear tag in his pocket.We saw more Grizzlies than blacks....scared the krap out of a huge moose with my bear call too... grin

Ingwe
Woof's will hunt down and kill coyotes, will the Boss griz make it a point to go after(run down) a black bear?

Great pics all-around!

Yep, Griz will kill, and eat, black bears, given the chance.

Ingwe
That would be a brutal fight!

I've never seen a griz in the wild, bet it could be intense!
[Linked Image]

Thanks!! Figured it was a good day dig through a few pics....10 below zero this morning....went for a run this morning and when I got back had to chisel the ice off my mustache....I'm soooo ready for spring!!

Here's an action pic taken of a bear I shot in Idaho a few years ago...
Pretty sweet...we better see one of Travis like that on next year's thread.... wink

Ingwe

10 below zero this morning....went for a run this morning and when I got back had to chisel the ice off my mustache....I'm soooo ready for spring!!

And probably -20 with the breeze!

It's acting like spring down here in the tropics Pat, sunny and 30....(above.....grin).
[Linked Image]

Where would a good hunting thread be without a classic tailgait pic? This one goes back aways....how do you like my GRRRR! I'm a bear hunter look?
Yep! the look is bad-azzed! grin

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

Another fall bruin that came to the call, client from Oklahoma, not the fella in the pio with me. That guys one of my best friends and mentor in life and one of the best hunters/riflemaan I've ever been around. I had the privaledge to guide with him in Montana and in Sonora. The client took him with his 7 rem and a 160 Nozler.

6 foot square range, a bit over 300 lbs if I recall right and his beaner was 19 or close, would have to check my notes. Anyway one looks at it he's a good bruin.

Dober
How much did the boolit drop at that range?.... wink

All Ive got to offer is "After Action" photos...
a 6'1" blonde...the biggest Ive seen..

[Linked Image]

And a piece of my best yogi in the background..

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Ingwe-is the top one the one you took up north with your 7x?

Dober
Yep....the one on the bottom is an MT bear...

Ingwe
Ingwe, That big blond is sweet....very rare to find a large boar that color...I've killed a few that color but they were a lot smaller....I'll search for a pic....
[Linked Image]

A whopper five footer....
Ingwe - How big was that MT bear? This thread is making me twitch...

Got a call from the taxidermist a couple of days ago. My best black bear to date should arrive within the week. He confirmed that it squared seven feet and will make the book. Can't wait!

I'd post a photo but haven't used Photobucket in months. Account inactive. I saw a lot of references in here to folks getting 'puter viruses from the site?
Here's my first one, taken just southeast of my hometown in the Gallatin range. Called in with a rabbit call and shot at about 15 feet. One of my first bear encounters, very fun. Squared about 5 feet and will not make book. laugh
[Linked Image]
Looks a lot like my first bear. We all start somewhere.
Proud of ya bro!!....you've got you're orange on!!!
Frikkin orange.. laugh
Here's a 7 footer with a 20 inch head. Wyoming..
[Linked Image]
Spring 07, 08, and 09 from MT. All from national forest, wilderness areas, all old boars squaring from 6'4 to 6'10 with heads in the 18.5 inch range. Nice ones for where I was hunting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Drooling......I've never killed a 20".
hide off the middle one above..
[Linked Image]
Very nice bear. What's the rifle/caliber?

Anyone know the scoop on Photobucket? My account is inactive and I'd like to post photos, but I heard the site was infecting computers?
healthy MT bear I took in 2000.
[Linked Image]
2002 MT, 6ft 2" with 18.5 head and a twin the next year..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Another one the same size 2006. MT my son.
[Linked Image]
skinning them in the snow is fun, this one from last spring.
[Linked Image]
Lots of great picts guys! Thanks for sharing.
Calling them and/or spot and stalk is the way to go.
I drew my WI bear tag for this coming fall and I just can't get excited about sitting over a bait.
I'm glad its "No Bait" here in Montana....
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

KW that bear squared 6'6"....so not quite asa big as yours...you're gonna love it on the wall...

Ingwe
[Linked Image]

A whopper five footer....

Pat thats about the size of all the other blondes Ive seen...
Heres a pic of mine on the ground...

I'm sure youve seen it, its one of Dober's faves..

[Linked Image]

Greenhorn shure got some whoppers!!

Ingwe

KW that bear squared 6'6"....so not quite asa big as yours...you're gonna love it on the wall...

Ingwe

Yeah, well, the odds were stacked in my favor. Island bear from Vancouver Island. Helluva fun hunt. Five days... came down to the last hour due to late Spring and high selectivity on my part. Unfortunately, putting him on the wall will have to wait until the next house. Wall space is maxed out.

I wonder if you have a similar problem with all your African trophies?
Wouldn't pay to be a black bear in Greenhorn's vicinity.
Alright you bastages, that's enough!!!grin grin

Pat, Ive only ever killed one over 20", if you can see this tired rubbed hide under the rifle in this pic...another 6'6" squared, but with a big head..20 and 3/4" ...

Caught him on his second raid to the ranch apiary, and got a 100 gr. .243 in that big skull of his......had him mounted flat on a vellux blanket instead of felt, and he makes a great bedspread for the cold nights.... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Wall space is maxed out.

Dat would be an understatement.....its pretty "busy" in my house... grin

Ingwe
Wall space is maxed out.

Dat would be an understatement.....its pretty "busy" in my house... grin

Ingwe

My wife and I have many ongoing "discussions" on that point... I'm definitely going to have to get a bigger house.
All these badass bear pics are makin' me want to go try and hunt one!
Between Dober, Ingwe, scenarshooter, and Greenhorn, I almost feel sorry for the bears in MT...almost. wink

Great pics guys!!! Just a question, about when do you guys have the most luck? I'm thinking of trying either ID or MT this spring, but work obligations the first two weeks of May have me tied up. Would later in may, very early June be too late?
Last Week in May.....

Ingwe
What do you guys do with all the hides that you don't want? Can you sell them? I am guessing that you don't have all them tanned/mounted.
Dink
Cool stuff Ingwe!
Originally Posted by DINK
What do you guys do with all the hides that you don't want? Can you sell them? I am guessing that you don't have all them tanned/mounted.
Dink

Tanned wall hangers.....
Originally Posted by DINK
Dink

Got a couple better ones on the wall, got the big bedspread grin,gave a couple away, and started a stack of them in the living room.... whistle

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Thanks guys I always wondered. I need to kill to a bear and this thread is not helping that.
Dink

Me either, but it's easier to say 20 than it is 19 15/16th. laugh

I tan all mine.
Wow--this thread is an eye opener. I never knew there was something worth hunting in May.

Can you guys describe the "calling them in" part? similar to coyotes?

I'd like to try this in couple years. Is it a hunt that a 14/15 year old could handle?

[Linked Image]
Ingwe

ingwe-

Appears the blond-phase bear has caught the Tom264. laugh laugh
Thats not the same blonde phase...that one was more a light milk chocolate...and he wanted to be "on Top" grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Wow--this thread is an eye opener. I never knew there was something worth hunting in May.

Can you guys describe the "calling them in" part? similar to coyotes?

I'd like to try this in couple years. Is it a hunt that a 14/15 year old could handle?

Calling them is not like calling coyotes, and no I wouldnt take a 14/15 year old, especially if calling...

Dober could sure tell you more but my experience calling bears is this...you need to spot them first, cold calling is not so productive, make sure theres no obstacles between you( creeks, fences etc) and blow the Carltons call exactly as instructed.... If the bear comes, he will be coming in with the intention of killing something...it really lights them up.
On the good news side if it is a sow with cubs, she will immediately take care of the cubs by sending them up a tree or the like...you will know she has cubs in the first few seconds...instead of waiting to find out...then you can get off the call and retreat.
Take note of Dobers biggest bear...range six feet.....
And I have had them almost literally climb on me....it is the MOST exciting way to hunt black bear..

Ingwe
They definitely don't always come charging. I've had them come to a call slow and cautiosly. I called for almost 30 minutes with this one. I noticed him sitting on his rump watching me from about 75 yards. I was cold calling in the timber in the Bridger mtns.
[Linked Image]
Interesting.....Ive had them sit on their hunkers like a big dog and look around, occasionally looking at me, but never make a move...but in those instances there was always an obstacle in the way.....
Others came in so fast it was scary! eek

You using the Carlton's Bear Call or a Varmint call???

Ingwe
Sweet Jesus there's some nice bears on this thread. I'm gonna have to find some place to do a spring hunt, otherwise it's gonna be a long pull until fall.

George
George,
I'm with ya, it's not fair for us east coast guys.....

"road trip"
Yeah, apparently west or north! Our NH bears have nothin' on what's being shown either.

George
I'll 2nd the notion that Mark whould give us a bear calling tutorial laugh

I know lots of spots that are LOADED with sign, that are so thick, sighting is damn near impossible.

Travis and Billy will get to see a few of them wink By the way BGG, my Bear gun is a 308. I have a 30-06 Ruger77 that gets loaned out a lot too. If you need to borrow a bear rifle, I got ya's covered. I've seen quite a few killed with 270's, 308's 7mags, 44 mags, and Easton 2117's tipped with 150 grain 3 blade broadheads. I DO know that its nice to have a good exit, fat tends to plug bullet holes and can make tracking and recovery a bitch. Bring an extra liver, there's bound to be some beer drinking wink
Ingwe-that is by far the bestest blond (bruin) that I've ever seen. Most years I see a blond but at most they're about 4 footers (cept in California), personally I feel they darken with age at that's part of the reason why.

By far the best one I saw was in the spring of 86 in a place very close to the bruin that Pat put up that he took with his bow. Saem dang mtn was right there for me. I felt it would go 5+, maybe 5.5 but most likely not. I ran off to the other drainage to find my bud so he could take his first one. When we got back he was gettin out of there. Silly me, I should of just given him the old dirt nap with a 55 NSB!! Being nice isn't always the best route right... grin

For me watching and hunting bruins is a kick, plus we can do it after a long winter and that's allright also. And in the fall I love it as one can expect to see multiple bruins in a day and the weather is normally nice.

I'll give put up some ideas later on calling, I've called in a bit over 60 of them (intentionally, not counting the ones that came in to an elk call bow hunting) and feel like I'm kind of beginning to know what's going on with it. Kind of...

Last spring I had a blast as I spent it trying to help a 12 year old get his first one. He missed a nice blond (scope issue) and while I saw 3 really stud bruins last fall only two of them did we have a chance with. And on that night he wasn't with us (wife and I), and darn it we had him @ 400 yds (in a stalkable position) above us. Wife passed, and tried to find the bruin for a couple of nights after when the lad could come along and wouldn't you know it we couldn't find him again.

Oh well maybe we'll find him this spring again, me thinks we will and if we do then the lad will take over and I'll sit back and enjoy. Like to call him into about 15 yds or so just to give something to remember.

Dober
Great pictures. Some outstanding bears. Talk about excitement pee!
Here's my most blonde in color bear. I'd spotted this one the night before and was hiking up the ridge to where I thought I might have a vantage, and was happily alerted to a rock rolling down my way from above. laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another May 27th bruin, this one was with a blond girlfriend working her over when I spotted him. Very windy night, I grabbed my 22/250 and hauled it trying to cut the distance. Called him away from her for a while, he came to 178 yds (from a ways off) and then made the choice that she looked better than me. I gave him a 63 Sierra about where his right love handle would be as he quartered away. The bullet exited his adams apple, that is if bruins have adams apples...<g>. He took a short hike and took a dirt nap.

20 3/16 and is one of 3 true 20's I've either taken or could of.

The one that I could of went 20 4/16 and my bud shot him right at dark, it was a stud of a bruin and boy do I wish we'd of had a camera with us! We had to hustle to catch him via going thru 2 drainages and one good sized piece of water (about drowned), but we got him. We called the bruin Houdini (also on May 27 by the way) as he'd gotten away from us 4 other nights.

6'8", and this just goes to show that some big bruins look small in pics, as this just doesn't do him justice at all, and some bruins really get pimped by pics also but that's the same with many critters. Taking good bruin pics has always been a challenge for me as I've normally been alone when I took my best ones, probably cause if I was with someone I'd be a good guy and let them drop the hammer.

335 lbs is what he went, and get this, this guy was 5.5 years old! Pat mentioned bruin ages earlier and the three oldest I've been around were 19 (the one that I had to fetch from the den) and then there was a 22 year old and a 29 year old.

Another nice mountain bruin by most standards.

Dober
I'm having an internal debate whether I hate you and Greenhorn or am just jealous.

I think I'm just jealous smile .

George
speaking of size pimping, that blonde sow in the photo above Mark's last one weighed maybe 160 at best. laugh Trickery..

No trickery here though.. squares over 7ft and and mid 20s on the skull.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dats a REAL Toad! grin Madre de Dios!

Mark; odd you should mention the big bear being only five years old... my best was the 6'6" aforementioned, 350 lbs ( in the fall) and was aged at Four years old!!

Have been told numerous times bears are like people, genetics make some bigger than others...

Mine and ones that freinds have shot bear this out....saw one aged at 22 yrs(!) that might have weighed 225..in the fall....

Ingwe
here's another biggie 7'3" square 20.5.
[Linked Image]
DOOOOOOOOD! grin

I Think I can honestly say thats the biggest colored bear Ive seen!!

Veddy Veddy Cool!!! cool

Beautiful Bear!

Ingwe
I've seen that guy shoot a small one too, he deserved it too.. laugh. Sows, both over 20 yrs old but small.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My best - 20 1/16" rug squares just over 8' -- didn't measure the hide.
[Linked Image]
I videod my friend shooting this 19.5 incher, 6 1/2 on the hide I think, perfect hair.
[Linked Image]
Greenhorn...those are some outstanding bruins...and bless you, you also have the ability to photograph your succeses the right way...truly excellent stuff.
Not many folks can get a little green-eyed envy out of me, but by God, you've done it! grin
Superb....

Ingwe
Here's a dinker from Wyoming. He was sitting on a hind quarter to an animal that belonged to me and i happened to have a bear tag in my pocket.
[Linked Image]
here's a bridgers young boar, 4 I think, 5 footer.
[Linked Image]
OK...STOP IT Already!!! laugh

I'm gonna hafta break down and buy a tag.... grin

Ingwe
Not a biggie, but made a great rug
[Linked Image]
OK.....

YOU SUCK!!! grin

wink
Ingwe
Couple personal favorite bear photos..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I remember that second one from last spring...

Good job recruiting to help with the yogi... wink

Ingwe
This one weighed in at about 70lbs maybe.. I wasn't the shooter though. Funny story with this one. On the way out, I yelled to the boy's "Hey wait for us, there's bears out here!"

"We aren't afraid of bears anymore!" my son yelled back..

[Linked Image]
That's the best pic in the bunch! Kids are the bestest, Austin (grandson) can hunt in two more springs. May have to get a bit serious about bruins then.

Dober
[Linked Image]

One last one for the night, this is Ingwe and his blond kicking my blond azz......46" muskie on a fly rod that he knows all too well.

I'll be a waiting for his pic of his fly rod musky, or wait maybe he used his 7X....grin

Luvin ya man, and I'm gonna make a trip your way a week from tomorrow. You gonna be at work?

Dober
OK, seeing if I can remember how to do photos... if this works, should be a shot of my last bear from last spring. My personal best to date. Spot & stalk hunt, no bait, no calls. Squared 7 ft. Skull unknown, taxidermist says he's keeping it a surprise until I get the hide & skull (within a week or so now) but he assures me the bear will make the book. All I know is the bear (island bear) was HUGE, bodywise... dwarfed all previous mainland black bears shot by me.

[Linked Image]

Luvin ya man, and I'm gonna make a trip your way a week from tomorrow. You gonna be at work?

Dober

Mark, call or PM me ahead of time, but I should be there...might hafta make a road trip to pick up a dog, but I don't know yet...

BTW: you know I can't catch a musky unless you lend me your 9 weight again... whistle

grin
Ingwe
KW...thats gonna be a tough on to top...
Veddy cool... cool

Ingwe
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]
Ingwe

ingwe-

Appears the blond-phase bear has caught the Tom264. laugh laugh
I seen this...thx Scott. grin
OK, seeing if I can remember how to do photos... if this works, should be a shot of my last bear from last spring. My personal best to date. Spot & stalk hunt, no bait, no calls. Squared 7 ft. Skull unknown, taxidermist says he's keeping it a surprise until I get the hide & skull (within a week or so now) but he assures me the bear will make the book. All I know is the bear (island bear) was HUGE, bodywise... dwarfed all previous mainland black bears shot by me.

[Linked Image]

KW-which island and which outfitter if you don't mind me asking. Seems to me I've seen the pic b4, didn't you use some sort of a lever gun?

Thx
Dober

This is a Nice B/B I got up in Alaska

[Linked Image]
I figured I could put the 14 year old out front, let him take the heat, while I beat a retreat!

Sounds like fun, I'll have to look into it more. Is there a book or video on how-to do it?
[Linked Image]

North of Bozeman, America....shot with a .280 Remington, 150gr partition. This solitary sow was 14 years old.
Alright you bastoids. Now I am going to have to come to Montana in May. Anyone have a recommendation for a place for an out of stater to start look.
[Linked Image]

Not my bear but check out the mellon on this bad boy!!!

DK, Just about every mountain range in the state has good black bear hunting....every bear pic I've posted were public land bears, forest service mostly and a few on state land.

My advice is lose the crowd...the farther off the roads and trails you get the better luck you will have. It's a hard hunt with a lot of walks back to the truck in the dark. But its a great time of year to be out in the mountains getting the winter rust off.

Northwestern Montana probably has the highest concentration of bears per square mile...

[Linked Image]

KW-which island and which outfitter if you don't mind me asking. Seems to me I've seen the pic b4, didn't you use some sort of a lever gun?

Thx
Dober

Dober - I'm sure I've posted the pic in here before. Did not use a lever gun. Used the then-new Ruger 338 RCM and 225-grain SST load. Clean, one-shot kill, double-lung, through and through at 180 yards. Hunt was on northern Vancouver Island with Dave Fife, owner of North Island Guide Outfitters. I can't recommend him enough. Even though the hunt was entirely spot-and-stalk, and I wore off a fair amount of boot leather, I'm pretty sure I actually GAINED weight on the hunt, if that tells you anything... Five days. A real blast. Based out of a small converted home in a small, remote logging town. My hunt came down to the last hour of the last day, but that was due to high selectivity on my part. PM me if you need more info, or check out www.huntingvancouverisland.com.
KW...thats gonna be a tough on to top...
Veddy cool... cool

Ingwe

Yeah, but any excuse to keep hunting... is a good excuse. wink
You guys are like bear gods!!

Do you guys take most of your bears during spring hunts or do you take as many during your fall hunts?
I've done both, but I most prefer Spring spot-and-stalk hunts. Depending on location, fur is more prime in Spring. Others prefer Fall because the bears may be fatter -- again, that's a generalization depending on location, local conditions, etc.

ALL bear hunts are a kick in the pants, though!

Of course, YMMV, and I disclaim any responsibility if you get eaten...
Ive always done better in the fall....

YMMV

Ingwe
Ive always done better in the fall....

YMMV

Ingwe

Someone said that's 'cause you only get lucky once a year. wink
And the fall is my "rut"..... wink

Ingwe
I somehow knew I'd be sorry for saying anything... wink
I see more bears in the fall, they seem to be more concentrated and easier to target. That said, I look forward to the spring hunt way more. By far my favorite time of the year to be out.

Went for a pretty good hike today, right around fifty degrees and no snow three thousand feet above the river. Really going to be a different spring season around here.
I keep trying to talk myself out of one of those 338 RCMs. The package just feels right. If they had a 358 RCM it would be a done deal.

George
[Linked Image]

Not my bear but check out the mellon on this bad boy!!!

DK, Just about every mountain range in the state has good black bear hunting....every bear pic I've posted were public land bears, forest service mostly and a few on state land.

My advice is lose the crowd...the farther off the roads and trails you get the better luck you will have. It's a hard hunt with a lot of walks back to the truck in the dark. But its a great time of year to be out in the mountains getting the winter rust off.

Northwestern Montana probably has the highest concentration of bears per square mile...

Pat is that a Montana bear or north across the border? I'm thinking it's a baiter from somewhere?

Thx
Dober
I have to say it feels right... shoots right... and is right for hunting big hairy critters in thick stuff or any place a shorter, handier rifle would be useful or preferred. I got the stainless/synthetic version, topped with a Leupy 3-9X40 with LR Duplex reticle. Zeroed at 200 with the 225 grain SST,it's only a little more than 8 in. low at 300 with approx. 2220 ft. lbs. of energy remaining. Lighter loads obviously shoot a bit flatter than that.
Mark, That pic was given to me by a friend who used to guide on Vancouver Island. He said it was taken on a spring hunt and weighed over 500 pounds...skull was close to 22" green. Definately a pig!! Can barely see his ears....
Big time porky, I was thinking Sask/Alberta

Later, and thx for sharing

Dober
[Linked Image]

I'm late to the party, but I'll throw these in here anyway. Both are Montana bears, and the best two I've taken.

Top one squares just under 7 feet and according to MFWP, aged at 15 years.

The bottom one is just over 6 feet and aged at 7 years. It looks black in the picture, but it is more chocolate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The .35 Whelen is tuned up, and I'm counting the days.
The next 4 days are supposed to be sunny and warmish.. Screw it, I'm going bear hunting. I need to log a few miles on the boots anyways..
Envious!!!.....grin!

Good Luck!! Bet they got some fur on them now....
It's a long shot, but I'll pack a trout rod and hit some remote lakes too to keep myself busy. It's been a very warm winter, so you never know. I need to get the legs moving anyways, and it beats walking on a treadmill in the gym..
Is it normal up there for the old boars to show up first coming out of hibernation?
Yeah, but it usually doesn't start to happen until mid april. I'm way early.
Nice bears! Man, those ones from the north are HUGE!
cheap way to store bear hides --
[Linked Image]
You guys need a friend? wink
That's a pretty wall of death there Greenie.
Any rugs or mounts done?
Kurt...

You still suck!!!

And I mean that in the nicest way possible laugh
cheap way to store bear hides --
[Linked Image]

That's just plain, [bleep]' cool!!

Travis
yeah yeah, but you might not think so if you knew the far left one's hind feet were dangling right behind that 8X10 frame. smile

I have a one nice one that's rugged and hanging in my den, but some of those hides there would make better rugs.. just nowhere to put them - and I like the wall of bear. I've given a couple away to family. I'm looking foward to the 2010 addition.
Greenie,

That is one of the coolest pictures ever!

I love the suit coat hanging in the right hand corner to give perspective.....great shot.
That's a cool way to display, especially when you're out of room. I have an outfitter pal on Vancouver Island who did something similar, only the hides are hung in this order: black bear, wolf, mountain lion, black bear. It definitely gets your attention.
This is one helluva thread, with credit going to Dober and a whole lot of great posters. And it is also a great antidote to the winter blahs.

Thanks to all, and especially Dober, for creating one of the best threads on the Fire.

Steve

yeah yeah, but you might not think so if you knew the far left one's hind feet were dangling right behind that 8X10 frame. smile

Well, they come in all sizes! smile

Forum member Bearhuntr has a wall like that.

Mine is smaller grin but developing.

These are some pictures of a Bear I got in BC.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I like spring bear hunting.
Well, I just found out that I drew my spring bear tag here in Oregon!
Hopefully I'll post some pics in a couple months...
A few thoughts on calling bruins, I've called in a few now (bit over 60) and so I think I've got and idea or two to share.

In no particular order:

Try to spot the bruin first, make and determination if you wanna take it or not b4 you start calling. Many of the bruins that come to the call for some odd reason or another look really big even when they're not if they're coming hard and fast. So decide if you're gonna shoot it b4 you begin you calling.

Another nice thing about spotting the bruin first is that ideally you can keep an eye on him and see how he reacts/responds to your calling when you begin. If he doesn't react, try blowing harder/softer, try another call. Keep trying till you get his attention and hopefully comes your way.

Once in a while when I begin to call the bruin will up and leave the country so if it's a bruin that I wish to take I try to set up in shooting range just in case he decides to make tracks.

But the key here is to get him moving your way and I've noticed that about 1/3 of the bruins will pay you no attention at all, no matter what. And I've found that 1/3 of the bruins will sort of come in but at their own time and pace and really just sort of out curiousity more than anything else. And the last 1/3 is the ones that get the juices flowing. This third will come now and fast and hard!

If I loose track of the bruin after I begin my calling, I'll generally give it another 30 minutes or so of calling. I've had them give the appearance that they're not coming only to show up again and normally much closer.

A thought or two on to cold call or not (calling without spotting the bruin first). My experince has been that about 75% of the time sows with cubs will scoot the lil buggers up a tree first and then come to the call. For this reason I am not a big fan of cold calling for bruins.

When I don't mind cold calling is say when I'm after a particular bruin and I just can't locate him that night. Then if I'm in an area I've seen him a lot I'll call as I am only looking to take that particular bruin. And in the fall around the berry patches is another time I'll cold call. As then I've walked the patches and have a fair idea as to what kind of bruins may be around via the different piles of scat that I found. But, for the most part I'm not an advocate of cold calling for bruins.

For obvious reasons don't try to call to a bruin that has a major obsticle in the path (IE canyon or creek/river they can't cross)

And once I start calling I normally try not to stop if at all possible. This is where it's nice to be calling with a partner cause as soon are you're about played out (generally about 45-60 seconds is all I can handle as hard as I blow the call) then he/she can take over. Now when calling by myself which is what I've mainly done it makes it a bit tougher but I just do what I can do. But, I'd enoucourage you to not call for a couple of minutes and then wait a couple of minutes or something you'd do with yotes.

Cats/yotes/wolves can and will come to the call as well so be mindful of that. IMO especially the cats as they're big time sneaky buggers! Although a couple of times I've had bruins come in from behind while I was watching one come from the front. And both of those times they had a good snoot full of my smell, but they came anyway. The one came to 8' b4 I sorted it out that I felt like something was watching me. I turned around and a small bruin (5', maybe 150 lbs) sat there on his hind legs trying to sort me out.

I have had better luck with my calling in the fall(they're feeding about 20 hours a day then), but I do call in my fair share in the spring/summer as well. Around the time of the rut I seem to notice that they big boys will be a bit more apt to come my way when calling.

Hmm what else, can't really think right now I've got the crud and so aint quite with it.

I have called in bruins with a cow call while elk hunting but I don't count those as I wasn't really in the bruin hunting mode. But each and every fall I talk to friends who were bow hunting and cow called in bruins.

Lastly about calls, I mainly use the proptypcial dying wabbit call, but I did use a peacock call once and it worked. I am not a fan of cub calls and I told this to a company a few years back when they sent me a couple of prototypes to try. Reason being is that the boars may come but often times it's the mom's as well and I am not a fan of taking sows if one can avoid it. Plus some of those moms that come to the cub call will be leaving cubs to come and you might take out a mother.

I love the calling of game like Pat does as it really gets me going when I can make game come my way. I've been a student of bruins for a long time and I really enjoy just getting out and watching them, observing them and seeing how they respond to calls etc. I can watch them for hours and like Brad mentioned earlier I'd just a soon watch them than to shoot them. I'll probablly take a few more b4 I am done but for the most part I am more than comfy with just watching them do their thing.

Gotta run, take care and it aint that far away...53 days or so...grin

Dober
Thanks for sharing the info, Dober! I'm really interested in trying to do some calling for bears here in PA, as I think it could be productive in the areas I hunt. If you get the time, could you elaborate a little more on your experiences calling cold and/or where cover is thick? Sadly, we don't get to do much "spot and stalk" here, and any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Also, what are some of your favorite calls to use when calling bruins?
Pretty cool info Mark, Thanks.
I gotta ask though, you recommend spotting the bruin first, and setting up in shooting range before calling.

So basically, calling them in is more a way to add excitement to the (and I'm sure it's gotta be a really awesome experience) than it is a way to really increase your odds of killing a bear?

I'm definitely going to buy a call and keep it in my pack after reading you guys talk about it though.
I can see in fall how it could really be an advantage too. I watched my bear feed into a creek bottom this year, and spent over an hour picking through the brush before I could get a shot, would've been pretty cool to just set up on the hill and try to call him out of there.

I'm getting the fever. Just found out I got drawn for G bear as well. Going to be a great spring!!
Mark, Good stuff. Thanks for takin' time to share it.
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I'm getting the fever. Just found out I got drawn for G bear as well. Going to be a great spring!!

Calling one of those in could get interesting.

I can borrow you the epic beard man for protection!
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Calling one of those in could get interesting.

It does.... An Elk Bugle in September does wonders for G Bears.

I should've said earlier, I've never called bears on purpose wink

Mark, how similar is your routine to say, calling coyotes?
Scorpion-while I've not tried it yet I'd love to try it back in Minnesota where I grew up. I would for sure try to find an area where a mature bruin was working over the food pretty heavily.

The thing about this that gives me a bit of pause is what if...a sow puts here kids up a tree and then comes. It'd be fairly easy to have some orpans out there if one wasn't really careful.

Dober
Rl11-I do like to get within say 400 ydsd for a couple of reasons. Main one being much further away and the bruins will be less apt to respond and come. The other reason, if he's a brute and I really want him then if he doesn't come then I can take him out.

Like I said b4 for me bruins anymore is just plain enjoyable for me to get out and get amongst them and I don't feel a need to kill them anymore. So, for me the calling is it, I just get a giggle out of making game come to me.

And, when you get your first bruin to come in to 5-20 yds mach 4 with his hair on fire you'll get what I mean as well.

I've had em as close as 5 yds and once I even called one in and bounced a snowball off his beak at very close range!

Its a good thing to have to fall back on as well as some kinds you see the critter but your losing light and you may not see him again b4 it's too dark to shoot.

I can think of two good bruins we'd of not gotten if I hadn't called them out to play.

I remember the first bruin I set up to call. He was a good sized bruin and no punk bear. He started to come and then he noticed a lovely brown phase lady friend that he decided he wanted to get to know better instead of coming to my call. Long and the short of it he ambled over to her and she got him on his back, and then she proceded to absolutely pound him into the dirt. I mean she tore into him like a porcupine into a balloon! Quite a sight to see for sure. She was maybe 150 lbs and he was 2x that and she just turned him into swiss cheese.

Dober

The thing about this that gives me a bit of pause is what if...a sow puts here kids up a tree and then comes. It'd be fairly easy to have some orpans out there if one wasn't really careful.

Dober

Dober, this is partly why I'm hesitant to go looking for a bear. I need to get out with somebody familiar with 'em before I'd feel comfortable squeezing the trigger. I need a guide....(hint,hint....grin)

And how's (spring)bear meat to eat?

In MT you're required to save all of the meat correct?
Mark, Sammo...thats the best reason in the world to spot the bear before you call....IME sows DO put their cubs up a tree ASAP...then they come..
If you see them do that, you can get off the call..which usually stops them...and back out of the AO...

BTDT

If you don't see them do that, then Dober is right...problem on your hands...

Ingwe
Yeah, no doubt Ingwe.

It'd make a guy absolutely sick to screw up and shoot a sow with cubs.

And how's that bear meat?

Had one I told you about that didnt stop when I got off the call...it got pretty "Western" out there, but nobody, including her, got hurt..

Ingwe
Little different than calling in a 'yote!
Yeah, we were a couple hours late getting back to the ranch cause of the detour we made around her..Grandpa knew we were up to something, so he had summoned the cavalry, and they we mounting up when we got home dripping wet ( there was a creek involved) and grinning like schoolkids....

Ingwe
Thanks Mark, that's sums up about what I figured. I'm still 'green' enough on bear hunting that I'd have a hard time not just getting in range on knocking a good one over, but definitely think it'll be worth trying on some smaller bears this spring.
In your experience, are the younger, smaller bears more hesitant coming in?
Also, not sure if I just missed it, but what brand/model call do you recommend?
Yepper the juvi's many times dont' know what to think of the sound and or are scared of it. The mature boars seem a bit less worried about most anything.

I wrote an article or two about bruin hunting and if you wish I'd email em to you if you pm me your addy.

Dober
47 days.....
I always see alot of bear in the fall hunting seasons, and have even had a tag a couple years, but never shot one. The little woman thinks it sounds fun(true story), so I think we're gonna chase 'em a bit this spring. I've never intentionaly pursued bear as game, so would gladly accept advise frome those who are experienced.
Guys I have never seen a bear in the wild before but after reading this thread I am bound & determined that someday I shall hunt them. you guys are un-friking-beliveable.
FNG, welcome to the 'Fire, from another Kalispell dweller. Three things about hunting Spring Bear in the area...

103, 106 and 107...

Middle May until the end of season are probably the best time. Of course there's the standard NW Montana clause... Expect anything and everything from the weather in the spring... This year might be good earlier, we never did get any snow. If we don't have a wet spring, I fear we'll have half the state on fire in late July.
I'll add on to dan's post that logging roads on steep south facing slopes are good areas to target. Fringe areas along timbered edges are good too. Most bears I run into always like to be pretty close to escape cover. Stay right at snowline (if there'll even be a snowline this year), hunting the areas that have just been melted off, and have new grass coming up.

I wrote an article or two about bruin hunting and if you wish I'd email em to you if you pm me your addy.

Dober

PM inbound.
I'll add on to dan's post that logging roads on steep south facing slopes are good areas to target. Fringe areas along timbered edges are good too. Most bears I run into always like to be pretty close to escape cover. Stay right at snowline (if there'll even be a snowline this year), hunting the areas that have just been melted off, and have new grass coming up.

And Slides... Also, dandelions popping up...

Did I mention your spotter and binos are going to get a lot of use?
42 days...
[Linked Image]

41 dayz and counting...grin

Dober
That looks like Scooby-Doo.... And a good looking bear laugh
It was a bruzer that I took, friend in the pic helped me pack it out. At the time I took him he was in the top 30 ever taken in Mt. Just another good old bruin...grin

Dober
Sure feels like spring outside.........

[Linked Image]
Mark, that sure is a "BLACK" black bear, and BIG too!

What's the story on the hunt, part of MT, time of season, etc.

What do you mean by the top 30 "ever taken" in MT?

That's a picture that'll get a guy excited to go hunting. Maybe I'll clean my rifle tonight. laugh
Kurt, yeah it's a black one, my experience the biggest have always been tip to tip black.

Taken in Montana (if you want more than that we'll have to trade more info...<g> so lets just call it the infamous X creek) end of May and by top 30 ever taken at the time it was taken and measured it was in the top 30 ever taken according to the Mt book. Now I never had any of my bruins entered into the book cause that's just not me. Haven't looked at a record book in a long time. Heck I haven't even scored an animal that I or my wife have taken for a long time, guess for now I'm over that kind of stuff. 4 now...grin

Clean a rifle heck you should no that's bad karma...grin

Dober
I'm certainly not looking for somebody's favorite drainage to hunt and was only hoping to hear how you got him. Something maybe like .. taken after spotting him from a distance feeding on a green mtn chute in mid may in a national forest in northwestern MT. Called for 30 minutes and he ran in and I plugged him. My friend Jim-Bob filled his shorts up because he thought this bear was going to eat him. Had to backpack the parts out 4 miles, thanks to my friend Jim-Bob, all I had to do was carry the hide and supply the beer at the trailhead...

Something like that anyways.

That's a great bear. Like yours, I'd estimate that more than 90% of the big skulled bears ever taken in MT (true 20+) are never measured, much less entered in any book.
Here's an cool article about bears. I like Shockey.. and he's certainly seen an absolute pile of really big bears taken.
Toughest animal to judge
Kurt- I realize you weren't looking for exacts, and if you give me a call I'd be more than happy to fill you in on the locale. That kind of stuff doesn't bother me to share with you and Brad and a couple other friends. However I don't wish to put it out over the internet for obvious reasons.

But if you wish when Tyler is of age we could take him there for a few days of spotting and looking over bruins,elk,goats etc. I plan on taking my Grandson there in two years when he's legal to rock and roll a bruin and when he can get around a bit better.

End of May (I'd have to take a look at my notes for the exact day). Spotted him a fair ways off, had looked over a lot of bruins that spring (once again would have to look at notes but it'd be in the 40-50 range including juvi's).

Did call it in and kill it with my 22/250, he ran about 40 yds and croaked in some big time nasty stuff! Was a long night out and back to the truck, went back the next morn to unzip and pack out. And yes I had the Millers running in the creek to suprise the fella who helped pack out.

The steaks were marvelous, think there's still some in the deep freeze we should get some folks together and feed them to them some time. You and I, well we'll go the route of T-bones and leave the greasy bastard mato steaks to our friends. Kind of an annual spring kick off party for fella half crazy chasers of bruins.

I agree with you about there being a lot of heads around unmeasured be it elk, deer, lopes whatever. Theres a lot of studs out there that've never been measured and that's fine with me. A while back on a ranch in Wyo I got to pawing around some horns in a shop and good lord the book lope/muley and elk heads they had hanging in the rafters. I mentioned the book to the rancher and he just chuckled.. grin

Just wish he had some bruins to pursue. While he has no bruins he does have 3 worlds supplies of pd's on the place and once again some day we should take Tyler and my Grandson down and let them have at it. Trust me on this we can't load enough ammo to ever make a dent. The original field of dreams.. wink

Chao Po Ahora

Dober
And you're right about Shockey, he does have a super area. Back around Y2K or so we spoke a time or two about me going out and guiding for him, wished I'd of gotten that one sorted out. That part of the world is another league of bruins for sure!

Dober
Cool bear and story Dober.

Good link Greenhorn. I'm gettin' awfully excited...

Travis
Mark were you going to move to BC and become a resident?

Worse thing about Shockey is his ugly wife and daughter, though I'm sure they've got great personalities.

Sad thing is I'm not even that pumped about bear hunting yet, I've been sitting around eating boxes of girlscout cookies and working on my beer gut.

Sad thing is I'm not even that pumped about bear hunting yet, I've been sitting around eating boxes of girlscout cookies and working on my beer gut.

Thats awesome...

I've been between gyms for the last two weeks, and I feel like a girlscout.
Jim Shockey's hog ugly daughter. Her mother, although from the looks of it, a couple years older, looks almost as horrible.
[Linked Image]
Were the world overrun with women that ugly.
Nope wasn't gonna move to BC and become a resident, this was after I qot done with 21 years in the restaurant biz and was looking for a change of life.

Was working on guiding in Alaska, and I had spoke with Jim about working with him for bruins, then Montana, Wyo, Colorado, Sonora and Africa so I was working on going from place to place for a few years. Got married and I modified my plans just a bit... wink

In 92 I passed on an opportunity to move to Zim and work there, unfortunately I passed as I was still in the climb the corporate ladder mode...what a dummy!

Had a meeting in Big Sky and saw a really nice ram again today, he's been hanging out a bit lately.

Dober
Was it the dark one down by the Big Sky turnoff, Mark?
Yepper think so, you seen him as well?

Dober
Yep, a few times while I was taking a friend skiing. Stopped by Tuesday with a decent camera and couldn't locate him.
You gotta pull that tag this year and we'll sort him out come fall.

Dober
Someone's gotta draw it, and I sure wouldn't complain.
Maybe....both of us will draw it and we can get Brad and Greenie to guide us... cool

Dober
I've never been in those parts, but it would be fun to tag along. Friend of mine went along and videoed a pal arrow a pretty good one for there.. 172 Peaks Ram, but not down to the highway yet. It was the last Saturday of season.
[Linked Image]
Nice! Did the video turn out? That wasn't your friend you went with last year, was it?
Now that's a vid I'd like to see, perhaps we should have a lil pre season bruin video party at your casa grande Greenie?

Dober
The video is a little rough. I never went with these guys, I went with another friend in a different unit. He ended up arrowing a real nice one that scored 186+. I wasn't along when he got the sheep. His hunt was also videoed, really cool to watch. Stalk, blown stalk, 2nd chance shot, and the ram crumpling with Keving watching in the background.. super cool stuff. He get's pretty excited and it's great to watch.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sorry to pollute a bear thread with photos of pretty ladies and great montana archery bighorn sheep. frown
Hey if a mato thread is gonna go sideways shots of borrego is a good way to do it..

Dober
Back to the bears. Mark, a question for you.. are these the same bears?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Back to the bears. Mark, a question for you.. are these the same bears?

I see what you're getting at Kurt... looks like the same bear perhaps. Knowing Mark, if it is the same bear, I'm sure it wasn't meant to deceive.
Yepper it is Kurt good memory or good eye, wasn't trying to be a smarmy bastard and deceive as that's just not my style...

I've been in and around near death the last 3 weeks with the crud so I've been kind of spacy bout a lot of things so forgive me if you thought I was trying to be sneaky. I did mean to say when I posted the other pic that look at the two pics, it's the same bruin and yet in no way to me does the pic make it appear that way.

It's a true stud of a bruin and the pic of me makes it look good but not great the one with my bud who helped me pack it shows it in truer manner. And what I had meant to say as well is that bruins are one critter that it is incredibly easy to have them look big or small often times intentionally and or unitentionally. Years gone back I did the old stretch your arms out and or sit back from critters to pimp the pic, but I never had the itch to do so with bruins although it'd be very easy to do so if one chose to do so.

Bottom line with bruins I love them, I love watching them, observing them and after being what I would call would being a student of them since 1982 I've long passed the place where I have any need to ever drop the hammer on one ever again. I could just as easily hunt them with a Kodak the rest of my life and be quite content.

One of the things I enjoy is studying maps and country and trying to figure out what country I should be able to find bruins in. Each winter I study maps (man do I love devouring maps) and I make a list of places I wish to see and look for bruins. This spring I have a list of 23 places I wish to get into and see if what I think is true about them will turn out. Either way if it does or doesn't I'll still get away from the office and cell and lap top and get some exercise in some wonderful country. Now would I see more bruins if I went back to the old faithfuls yes for sure I could, but that's not where my hunting journey has taken me to these days.

I do know of the where abouts of two bruins that will go in the 19-20" range and if the timing is right I'm gonna get a friends 12 year old to kill one or another. And if he's not with me when I go to look for them and if I see the bruins chances are I won't drop the hammer on either one. I had one of them last spring at easy shooting distance and let him be and I can just as easily do that again this spring. And or if my friend Brad is with me and he wants to put the cochise on it and can get it done I'd be more than happy to watch. Though if I know my friend Brad like I think I do he'll probably say, this is too easy lets try to dupe him with the call and if he'll come then I'll give him the old Nozler Nap.

Lastly Kurt you mentioned Shockey's article on judging bruins and I totally concur with Jim on it. After looking at how many 100's of bruins over the last 27 years I still need some time to study a bruin and say I feel he'll score this or that. And still with all that time in there's bruins that I look at and think he's a good one and then when I get a minute more two study him I'll rethink my original thinking. If I have a 40 bruin year or so generally I'll see only 1-3 that are of a size that I have any interest in.

Only once I got to the place where I'd study first (even to the chance of loosing the bruin) did I get to the place where I could kill fairly consistenly big bruins. Now I've not shot as many bruins as I could of I still enjoyed my times as I long ago left the place of needing to kill. And for me that's just fine as I've taken a few decent bruins over the years.

Thats one of the main reasons I like to spot and study a bruin b4 I begin to calling. As its easy to get a bruin coming and get cranked about him being big when he really isn't and viola you kill a bruin that isn't quite what u thought he was and you don't have ground shrinkage. Will bruins hunters who have matured in the hunting of bruins still from time to time get suprised you be they will.

Lots of bruins get killed every year that are true ronny the rat bears that should of been let go back to get bigger. People hyper ventilate and they're worried about the bruin getting away and so they drop the hammer. And many times this is when people and especially if they've been around taking pics of game are tempted. Bruins are easy to pimpo the pics if one wishes. You know prop them up this or that way and or sat back a ways and they looked better than in life they truly are. If that makes them feel better so be it, as a friend once told me I only have myself to make happy. And if one isn't careful the opposite can happen as well, I have a pic around somewhere of a bruin that we took that went 20 4/16" its a super bruin but I don't think I have one decent pic of it and it looks like a ronny the rat bruin for sure...grin although I do have one of a paw and that looks ok. But the ones of the bruin are truly pathetic and I mean pathetic as I am the worlds most useless pic taker ever.

I'd go into my thoughts on how I measure up a bruin at a distance but I've written enough for the week...<g> and the grand kids just showed up and I really wanna spend some time with them.

Get some lunch and the wife and I may just go and look for sign of mato, albeit it'll have to be the long claws version but there are a few of those out already.

Bottom line, have fun on the hill!

Dober
Another thought on bruins, is there anywhere you've not hunted them that you'd love to?

For me I'd love to go to Hyde County NC and to Kali and hunt some of those monster bruins.

Thoughts anyone?

Dober
Kali... great weather, and good wine nearby (grin)...
is there anywhere you've not hunted them that you'd love to?

Alaska or BC (Jim Shockey's place) it looks good on TV anyway....

choice of Black or Brown/Grizzly

Hopefully springtime in the West soon....
Another thought on bruins, is there anywhere you've not hunted them that you'd love to?
Thoughts anyone?

Dober

Vancouver Island, POW, or Queen Charlotte Islands seem to produce some obscene boars, that would get my vote.
Kuiu Island, British Columbia, California, and Arizona spring to mind.
One other for me would be Az in the prickly pears, I had a place lined up to guide there spring of 03 or so but it didn't work out, too bad as I'd of loved to hunted that country.

Wifey and I got out this afternoon to scout a new place, looks to have some very good potential for a big bruin. You and Magnum have your walking shoes ready Mac?

Dober
Other places? Hmmm. Going to SE AK on a non-guided black bear adventure in early May. That will be a ton of fun. Last time I hunted bears in SE AK, it was brown bear hunting with my now deceased grandfather who was a resident (no guide, and saved a ton of money in addition to having a blast). Looking forward to this hunt.

Also would like to hunt the bear I saw in western NM in 2007. He displayed a great body size as he was feeding in the Gambel's Oak groves, but his head looked overly out of proportion. I think they hunt them with dogs in that area, but from what I observed, a spot and stalk hunt would be very "doable." A resident told me I could have bought a bear tag to have with me on that hunt. Need to look into that one further, if I get back to NM for an elk hunt.

Smary and deceiving? Where'd that come from? I just was curious if it were the same bear because the muzzle looks pretty different in color. The red ice chest in the background from another photo with your friend and that same bear had me wondering.

I guess I'll happily belly up to the school of "immature" bear hunters, that is one of those who enjoys putting the hurt on one or two every year. Would be hard pressed to say that I've ever met anybody that has as much fun hunting bears in the spring as I do - killing them or not. Can't say I've ever had a bad time skinning a bear, or especially packing a dead one out and running into a pack of digusted/disgusting Bozeman hippies on the trail. And I love the long-arm photos.. especially those with real small bears, and contrary to what you say Mark.. it rarely works. Trust me.. I'd know.

I'm hoping to get out and check out some places old and new, and possibly in a neighboring state where there's great glassing in places a guy can see 10-12 per evening in the spring.

Had two 9 year olds out yesterday crushing the Wilsall gopher herd.. man that was fun. Weather was great!!
Fin-N Mex is another place I'd love to go and look for bruins, a few years back I met a fella at of all places the Logan range who'd spent some time in the Gila studying the bruin herd. Perhaps I shouldn't of lost his contact info eh.. wink

Thinking you'll be doing well to better the one you shot last spring here though.

Dober
24 days to go...
I've only hunted bear in Ontario (when a non res. could still diy)
and in Michigan, both peninsulas...with and without dogs. I'd like to hunt where a different color phase was a possibility...or one of the island hunts. Anywhere that allows a spring hunt really. I like the table fare of a lean spring bear.

Scott
Anyone have any fun bruin stories?

Spring of 01/2000 can't recall which we had 3' of white on June 13th. I couldn't get to work that day...grin so I went bruin hunting and had a super day.

Saw where a mtn lion put the cochise on a mtn grouse and had lunch.

Then a bit later I spotted an brown phase walking down a logging road. I didn't care to kill it but wanted to see how close I could entice him with a call. Going off a bad memory but seems to me I got him to 11 feet or so. It was model perfecto day for a snow ball so I made the best one I could and got big time lucky and after doing my best Catfish Hunter routine I beaned old brownie right on the beak...talk about funny.

He jumped off the loging road and sit in the ditch and shook his head and look at me like what did I do to deserve that....ork ork ork.

Dober
340boy is heading up in May for a hunt with me.Hopefully we'll have a new story or two.

Spring of 01/2000 can't recall which we had 3' of white on June 13th. I couldn't get to work that day...grin so I went bruin hunting and had a super day.

Saw where a mtn lion put the cochise on a mtn grouse and had lunch.

Then a bit later I spotted an brown phase walking down a logging road. I didn't care to kill it but wanted to see how close I could entice him with a call. Going off a bad memory but seems to me I got him to 11 feet or so. It was model perfecto day for a snow ball so I made the best one I could and got big time lucky and after doing my best Catfish Hunter routine I beaned old brownie right on the beak...talk about funny.

He jumped off the loging road and sit in the ditch and shook his head and look at me like what did I do to deserve that....ork ork ork.

Doebr

THAT is a good story Dober.

Travis

That June snow was in 2001. I'd already taken a MT bear and had an Idaho license. I left work early on the last day of the ID season, the 15th (a Friday) and raced toward the border. It was my 3rd ID trip that spring. I pulled into the first USFS access across the border and started up an unfamiliar drainage. There was still a good amount of that snow and after about a mile, I cut two sets of tracks, big and small. Thinking it was a sow and cub, I kept walking and a while later crossed those tracks again, this time taking a better look. The larger track was 5 1/2" across the pad, the smaller right at 4. laugh I followed them into a draw with about 20 minutes of remaining daylight - the wind was perfect, ground was silent, and the tracks were smokin' hot. They led me to an open rockslide where the snow had melted off. On the other side, only one set of tracks continued. I followed the smaller track along the far side of the rocks and down toward the bottom of the drainage. Light was fading. At bottom, finally, I spotted one of the bears.. on a dead run .. kapow, dead tiny sow. It was one of the few times I've taken a bear and been a little bummed out. But after a few minutes, I realized that not everybody acquires such a fancy toilet seat cover for the mere cost of $350 license, $500 in fuel, $100 in food, and modest $15 expense at the tannery.

The local warden waited up till 11PM to check my bear... super nice guy.

Here's about the only photo I got, yes it's a bear, not a laborador..
[Linked Image]

The weekend prior I was hunting with friends in Idaho and this one was taken. It doesn't look like much, but it was a pretty good one - around 6ft square and had a 19" skull. We ended up skinning it under the overhead lights of a service station in front of the pumps. laugh I think I'd seen this one while glassing on my first trip, but was unable to connect.
[Linked Image]
What no pic's of Moosie?
Life doesn't get much better than tracking bruins in the snow does it!

I've only have one bruin that was serious about getting a piece of me. Client had hit it, I went into the brush to find it, had sort of an uneasy feeling about it so I took my clients 25/06 in with me (I never carried when I guided). Long and the short the brush was thick and I was on my hands and knees.

I got in short ways by crawling and looked up and there he was about 9' away, and when our eyes met he came at me hard and fast. I shot him under the chin with the 25/06 and it was lights out. He was plenty close for me... whistle

Dober
Life doesn't get much better than tracking bruins in the snow does it!

I've only have one bruin that was serious about getting a piece of me. Client had hit it, I went into the brush to find it, had sort of an uneasy feeling about it so I took my clients 25/06 in with me (I never carried when I guided). Long and the short the brush was thick and I was on my hands and knees.

I got in short ways by crawling and looked up and there he was about 9' away, and when our eyes met he came at me hard and fast. I shot him under the chin with the 25/06 and it was lights out. Then I cried for a while and asked the client if he had any spare cloths because mine weren't any good any more.. He was plenty close for me... whistle

Dober

I fixed it for you. Or at least its what I would have done.
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=42037

New regs, on FWPs site. There's been a few changes this year.

Mostly in how one in my area would validate his spring tag. Travis texted me in a panic yesterday laugh
When I try to open it, It tells me the file has been damaged and cannot be repaired. Therefor I can't view it. I'm sure they'll fix it before I really need the info, though. We still get a rug tag and a carcass tag, right?
Huh... It opened for me twice...

Anyhoo, the office on Meridian should have printed regs pretty soon.

Yes, still two tags, and yes, you have 5 days to get the hide and skull to FWP for its root canal.

Don't waste your time in the Lowlands to the West this spring. There is bears out there, but lots more spread out than other country.
Oh.....

32 more days [BIGCHUBBY]

That June snow was in 2001. I'd already taken a MT bear and had an Idaho license. I left work early on the last day of the ID season, the 15th (a Friday) and raced toward the border. It was my 3rd ID trip that spring. I pulled into the first USFS access across the border and started up an unfamiliar drainage. There was still a good amount of that snow and after about a mile, I cut two sets of tracks, big and small. Thinking it was a sow and cub, I kept walking and a while later crossed those tracks again, this time taking a better look. The larger track was 5 1/2" across the pad, the smaller right at 4. laugh I followed them into a draw with about 20 minutes of remaining daylight - the wind was perfect, ground was silent, and the tracks were smokin' hot. They led me to an open rockslide where the snow had melted off. On the other side, only one set of tracks continued. I followed the smaller track along the far side of the rocks and down toward the bottom of the drainage. Light was fading. At bottom, finally, I spotted one of the bears.. on a dead run .. kapow, dead tiny sow. It was one of the few times I've taken a bear and been a little bummed out. But after a few minutes, I realized that not everybody acquires such a fancy toilet seat cover for the mere cost of $350 license, $500 in fuel, $100 in food, and modest $15 expense at the tannery.

The local warden waited up till 11PM to check my bear... super nice guy.

Here's about the only photo I got, yes it's a bear, not a laborador..
[Linked Image]

The weekend prior I was hunting with friends in Idaho and this one was taken. It doesn't look like much, but it was a pretty good one - around 6ft square and had a 19" skull. We ended up skinning it under the overhead lights of a service station in front of the pumps. laugh I think I'd seen this one while glassing on my first trip, but was unable to connect.
[Linked Image]

Greenie-any chance you have another pic of the bottom bruin, the pic shown is an example of how tough it is to judge bruins from some pics and from some angles in the field. To me, this bruin appears to be a 5.5' bruin with maybe a 17" beaner on it. Just from this pic I'd no way think of it to be a 6' and 19" bruin.

Not tossing mud as you know just using the pic of the bruin as an example. Taking good bruin pics has been a tough one for me, tougher in the last few years as I tend to be less patient than I once was with taking pics and I'm normally alone as well.

Thx
Dober
And hey Kurt and others what do you like to use for camera's? I saw a new Cannon the other day that kind of caught my eye.

Thx
Dober
still having the same problem - must be on my end. I always like to have a hard copy anyway, so no big deal. Motivation has officially kicked in.

Question on bear loads...
Anyone using monometal bullets on bears?? I've got loads worked up for 180 e tips and 220 partitions, should I go through the effort to work up my 180 partition loads before bruin season? Current loads worked up for accuracy, not "heat", so fairly mild by the manual's standards. And I don't have a chrono, so.......
Killed one in Idaho last year with a 165gr TSX out of my Montana .300WSM. Same combo I plan to carry in May.
FNG, If you're ever up at the NVSC, introduce yourself.

I wouldn't worry about the loads. Few years back, I got my cousin on a Bear that he killed with a longbow. I've seen them equally dead from 357's, 44 Specials, and Nuke loaded 45 Colts.
Shooting M70 300wsm under 3.5-10X50 Gold ring B&C reticle: etip 180 over 63gr H414 cci 250, and part 220 over 60gr H414 same primer both Win brass. 180 partitions seemed to group today over 64 grains 414. I'll have to shoot it again next week to see if a couple flyers were me or the load.
30 days...
And melting............
Originally Posted by kenaiking
And melting............

Same up here! And quick . . .
15 days and counting...
Originally Posted by kenaiking
And melting............

Finally.... grin

Travis
30 days...

Had to get that tag issue fixed. They canceled my original Sportsman's Package and said I should have that refund in 6 weeks.

They also said I wasn't the only one. Which made the "new guy" feel more better.

Travis
Travis, did I just read you right, you're no longer "sporting" a "package". Man, I've heard of the FWP doing some harsh things but that's gott'a be the worst. laugh
As I typed that I knew somebody would take the opportunity... grin

Package still intact and I have the right bear tag. Ready for spring!

Travis
laugh

Now thats funny.. Did you pass your Bare Identification test??

Its spring in Kalispell. If I have tomorrow off, I'll take a spin up the N Fork and see what the snow's like.

Don't forget your fly-rod, and I was thinking we should teach you how to shoot a recurve while you're here too wink

Then you should be able to apply for you official Montana Resident card.
I do need that card... grin

Report back on the snow.

Travis
I was up there on Wednesday afternoon shooting under the awning. Not much snow - and a suprising shortage of mud. I'm starting to second-guess my decision to book a flight to see the folks back East over the cusp of opening week...
Personally with the exception of a couple parts of the state I'd not be too concerned about missing the opener for bruins in our fine state. Sure some will be seen and a few taken in the first couple weeks but for the most part this year will be no different than any other year and things will be slow till May and about may 13th things will really begin to perk.

I'd go and visit the fam and not worry one bit about the opener.

Dober
Yeah, but its an excuse to be hunting laugh

FNG, you talking about Big Creek?
Im ready for spring bear. Need to get out and shoot my 270 again to see if its still good to go and need to sight in my 300WSM since it got knocked off sometime after shooting a cow elk season before last. Should be a good spring with as warm as its been and from seeing how much snow has already melted around here
24 and counting.......
Almost 4-got to mention but last Friday I saw my first bruin of the year(a blackie)..thinking he woke up a tish bit early and is probably doing some sack time right now.. sleep

Dober
Almost 4-got to mention but last Friday I saw my first bruin of the year(a blackie)..thinking he woke up a tish bit early and is probably doing some sack time right now.. sleep

Dober

Do ya'll still have a bunch of snow down there? There isnt hardly any around Missoula except way up on the tops of the mountains. It didnt look like this till about the end of may last year.
IMO-yes we still have quite a bit of white even though our snow pack level is rumored to be fairly low I believe.

Dober
Artilce in todays paper says a grizz has been seen in Sims this year, quite a walk from their normal habit, though two were seen there last year. Also, one has been seen up on the Marias river. If the Griz are out, I would guess the blacks aren't far behind. There doesn't seem to be much snow in the mountains east of Augusta this year.

Fred
Not much snow here either, but last time el nino gave us wacky(winter) weather like this it snowed 5 or 6 feet in April up high
I heard on the radio last night that the yearly total snow pack for this year is at like 62-66% of what it usually is. Going to be alot of fires this summer boys.
I'd think spring and summer rains have a lot more to do with fires than the snow pack. Here's to a wet and sloppy spring.
I'd think spring and summer rains have a lot more to do with fires than the snow pack. Here's to a wet and sloppy spring.

Agreed, and AGREED!!!

Bads fire year means woods shut down... Woods shut down means no logs... No logs means unemployment...
I many areas I'd think this is very true. Precip timing (growing season) can be very important. In the sagebrush/desert areas, wet years can be big fire years due to all the grass to carry the fire.
Here is a nice Virginia bear that one of my Hunt Club pards shot during archery season a couple of years ago....

[Linked Image]
Took it out whole...485lbs live weight, over 20" noggin. Thinking he said it was 6'8" nose to tail. Pard is a pretty big dude, gives you an idea how big the SOB was.

Wish we could hunt bears in the spring......

I've killed 4, 2 with a bow, two with a gun...all 5' to almost 6'.

Tony
[Linked Image]

Here is one I called in 2 years ago....

Tony
[Linked Image]
One snacking on my trail camera.....

Tony
[Linked Image]
Looked for this one all season last year, never caught up with him......he'll do.....

Tony
Tony-I couldn't get the sound working on your video to hear the type of call you used?

Also, what kind of an area are you puttin up the trail cam to get pics? Natural food area of bait?

Thx
Dober
Dober,

I put the call down to grab the camera....I was using a fawn bleat call. The bear was about 150 yards, 1/4 away from me. When I hit the call, it did a 180 and circled down wind. If you notice on the video, it is looking around as if to say WTF, this is supposed to be an easy meal????

Was too small to shoot. It actually ended up right at the base of the tree I was in. (right after I stopped the camera)

I hunt the edge of a swamp. Trail camera is settup there. So the answer is natural settup. Can't bait in Va.

I envy you Mt guys....spot and stalk for blackies looks like the way to go.

In Va., it is pretty much hit and miss on bears. The advantage we have is you can shoot them in archery, muzzleloader and rifle seasons. They are usually taken while deer hunting. Although they frequent the swamp I usually hunt and see them quit often.

I have been passing them up for the past few years. That is until I run accross the bruzer I caught in the last video.

Just a matter of time before we cross paths. He should be bigger this year.

Tony
Yeha I'd love to see you put the arrow to that last one. Do you have much for acorns in the country?

Dober
Tons of acorns....all hardwoods : hickory, red oak, white oak........

Some years there is too much, deer don't have to move at all to feed. Years like that you really lean on the rut.

Also, bears are active pretty much the entire season. Have seen them in early Jan., which is the end of the Va. deer season.

Tony
In regard to the MT snowpack, here it is as of March 1st. New one will be out @ Apr. 1st.
MT Snowpack Report 2010
16 days.....
And counting... grin

Dober
Forecast is showing 20 inches of snow above 6500ft tonight. Could be a fun spring smile
It snowed a little in Kalispell. I'm hoping it'll be a wet spring, or else we'll be in trouble with fires, and the flyfishing will suck frown
Day and a half till the oregon opener. Saw a medium sized boar saturday. A pard and I will try to call him in on thursday night.
Originally Posted by Rogue
Day and a half till the oregon opener. Saw a medium sized boar saturday. A pard and I will try to call him in on thursday night.

Get your state it's own thread! grin

Kidding of course. Report back.

Travis
As of yesterday there's at least one out in my neck of the woods. Should be in a pretty good spot to hunt in a couple weeks as well.

[Linked Image]
12 days to go and we're getting the good tracking white today... shocked

Dober
Many people say that the first bruins out are the big boars, to date and in watching them and being a student of them for 30+ years I've not found that to be true.

Generally I've found that for most of this state that may 13th is the magic time. That meaning that I feel that there's a vast majority of the bruins out at that time.

I would agree that the large boars are not the first to show up, and after 39 Spring seasons up here, we have pretty well determined the 15th of May is the magic day. smile

Interesting that we are so far North of you and the dates so close.

Ted
Bout 9 dayz and counting, and plenty of white coming down today. Thinking that 4th of July will be about good bruin time this year...grin

Was out for a Sunday stroll, some plenty of other critters but no bruins but did see a nice track.

Dober
7 days....

Too bad the ex got the digital cameras in the papers frown

Mark, you're going to have to start "The Official 2010 Spring Bear" thread this year. I'll be shooting gophers in Travis' neighborhood for the opener anyhow.
Ah, thinking this thread will do just fine for followup on how the seasons going.

Check out Walmart for a cheapy digi cam, I've been around a couple decent ones for less than 100 bones.

Side note, to me the real bruin season opens May 13th anyway, so blow those lil rodents beak off. And be careful to not fall too hard off Lee's Log...grin (tis a local Bullhook Btms joke)

Dober
I got laid off from work the other day, got my tags in the mail last week, i'm good to go for spring bear!
Originally Posted by toad
I got laid off from work the other day, got my tags in the mail last week, i'm good to go for spring bear!

As a friend says, "I was looking for work when I got that job"! smile
Perfect timing!
Originally Posted by ironbender
Perfect timing!

grin yea, that was my first thought too...laffin'
They say we'll be hiring temps in the middle of May. Too bad you ain't local.

Before I landed at Plum Creek, I got laid off September 1st. Between bow season thorugh Sunday after Turkey Day, I only missed 5 days of hunting in there.

Wait until June 1st before you look for a jobby-job.
technically, i'm on furlough, so i'm still on the roster and will eventually get called back, but if i can find work without relocating, i'll take it. my unemployment is good for 18 months so i won't starve.

but i'm looking at this as a gift. grin
Thats about right.... This time last year they'd furlough us about a week/month. Even at the max, 445 bucks a week is chump change.

You must be a Rail?
yea, machinist for the Monatan Rail Link
Figured... Got a couple cousins in the Zoo that just got furloughed too. They were on the transportation side though.

Our issue right now is that we got enough logs to last until May 15th. If break-up is a bad one this year, I'll be layed off just in time to start fishin'

If we get a bad fire year, I'll be totally screwed (because that means the woods and rifle range will get shutdown too)
schitt!!!!!!!! glad i saw this thread this morning. I gotta remember to go buy my tags today. I forgot till i saw this.
The valley of love is getting a fresh layer of powder today. Hope my yogi doesn't say to hell with it and crawls back in his hole.
News said last night that we might get 2' in the mountains. If thats the case it'll be 2 weeks before I'll be back to the same spot I just did some scouting in on Monday.
All ours melted off yesterday evening. A buddy and I are fixing to put the hurt on the boo-boo who left the tracks above.

Anyone else headed out in the AM?
Well....Well...we need some field pics fellas !!!!

There should be some bears hitting the ground....

Tony
Pics Manana!!!

Don't let those of us sitting it out down.... grin

Ingwe
Bought my tags yesterday. Will be a couple more weeks before i can get out due to all the damn homework i have! Stupid school ruins all my huntin! One of these days ill have the money and time to go hunting once i get my bachelors and masters degrees
All ours melted off yesterday evening. A buddy and I are fixing to put the hurt on the boo-boo who left the tracks above.

Anyone else headed out in the AM?

Good luck Randy. Will be Saturday afternoon before I get to stretch my legs. Not expecting too much though.
Depends on what you do with your degrees...I'll be teaching a couple college courses next fall, and its gonna REALLY screw up my hunting... cry

But I'll sneak some hunting in.... wink

Ingwe
I'll be teaching a couple college courses next fall...

Ingwe

I fear for the future of the republic... wink

Ingwe

Weep for the children........ grin

Ingwe

Ingwe

Weep for the children........ grin

Ingwe

Oh, the humanity!
Don't stand too close to me. Don't stand, don't stand...
Today is opening day here in WA state. I will be out after a Bruiser Bruin tomorrow and Saturday and most Fridays and Saturdays through the end of May if necessary. Looking forward to it as spring bear hunting is my favorite big game hunting.
Yay, I get to work all damn weekend.

Oh well, I still got that 3rd week of May off laugh Too bad I have to take two hippies from Havre hunting.

Sunday, I'll snoop around a bit in a hidey hole
Just get off work...?

Ingwe
Did anybody give it a try? At 2AM I had my rifles cleaned (from last fall), at 5PM, I fired one round to check my zero, and at 7PM, I was glassing. Didn't see squat and I'm sore today.

It is still way too wintery in the Gallatin..
[Linked Image]
Hippies eh? I'm not sure Travis has enough hair on his head to qualify for that.
I was planning on it, but the recent snow and a girl who wanted to make me dinner talked me out of it. Sunday will be my first day if the weather holds. I don't give myself high odds of seeing anything, but I need to get in shape for May.

Ya think?! (grin)

Was in the Madison all week... 12" snow Monday evening. LOT's of snow above 6500'.

I figure by the time it gets ripe, I'll be tough enough to pack my better tripod. Was to wimpy to throw it in yesterday, I'm fat and out of shape. Even though the north-facing sides have 2-4 feet of base down low, there's grass facing south. Trouble is, there's a mountains worth of snow above a lot of the dens. Some of the local areas will be 2 weeks later than normal, at least.
Originally Posted by Brad

Ya think?! (grin)

Was in the Madison all week... 12" snow Monday evening. LOT's of snow above 6500'.

But man is has the fishing been good smile
Saw some elk, lots of sheep deer and antelope yesterday, but no bear. I do feel sorry for anybody that has never seen spring hit the Rockies!

Royce
Good to see I'm not the only one dumb enough to go out early. No bears, but we found a few nice sheds, and got a good bead on where they should be.
Yea, we're real dumb for going out early, when we coulda been home watching reruns of Jerry Springer! LOL
I'd go again tonight if I could. I've had some great early days.

Nothing beats being there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That came off wrong, should've said I wasn't the only guy out there enjoying it. I'd be back out there tonight in a minute if I could be.

That second bear's the one you killed last year right?
Bears definitely aren't built for going down hill through a snow drift.
nothing beats a wilderness area snowbank.. and being out before the ticks are thick.

Yes, the 2nd bear is from last year, this one. It was 6'10" square and 10 years old.
[Linked Image]

I think the one from the year before 08, was also 10 yrs old, but 6'5 square, but had a little better skull.
He's also the bear in the photo by the aspen tree above..
[Linked Image]
Hey, not from Alaska here, and never took a bear in the lower 48 either, but I read something somewhere and was wondering if you guys could confirm it or not.

Spring bear meat tastes MUCH better than fall bear meat???
In my experiences, you've got it backwards.
Fall bears are way fatter and have a lot better meat.
Good to know! Thanks!

Someday.....someday I will get mine....
I wont be heading west until about May 10th....about prime time. Most of the blackies I've killed in the spring have been between the 10th and 20th of May....although I did kill one of my better boars on April 15th, 1986. I first saw him on March 25th that year. It was a very low snow pack year.

Chomping at the bit....grin!
Greenhorn, I've never squared a bear, hows the square normally compare to the nose to tail measurement?
you lay them out flat like a pancake, skinned, and measure from nose to tip of tail, then (WITHOUT streching the hide) measure the front claw to claw. Guy's pulling the hide long, then again wide, will have a square measurement a foot longer than if they'd done it correctly.

Nose to tail before the animal is dressed is another way to get a good measurement to compare sizes. A 6ft nose to tail measurement before skinned is a really big bear (around 7' square). Where I hunt most BIG mature boars will be just under 6' long on the carcass. Biggest I've seen was 6'2" and it was a true 7 foot square bear and a B&C skull as well.
Thanks, I've always measured mine by doing just nose to tail on the skinned hide, same way my taxidermist measures for pricing. I'll have to measure them and see how the numbers compare.
Good info GH. Thanks.

Travis
I once heard you measure the length of the front pad (on a track) and add one and that's what the bear's hide will roughly square. It's close, but I'd never not follow a 5" track. Anything that's 6 range is a really big bear.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Hippies eh? I'm not sure Travis has enough hair on his head to qualify for that.

"Hippie" must be Irish for "without vagina".

Travis
Greenhorn's right about measuring the wet hide. It's always amused me to watch guys "readjust" the hide a tad side-to-side or nose-to-tail after each measurement. I bagged my best black bear to date just last year. Squared just a tad under 7 feet. Skull made SCI, which isn't difficult to do, but not B&C. Fine with me. Sucker was HUGE...
I once heard you measure the length of the front pad (on a track) and add one and that's what the bear's hide will roughly square. It's close, but I'd never not follow a 5" track. Anything that's 6 range is a really big bear.

I've always heard the same, but assumed it was linear length. Squared makes a lot more sense though. The track of the bear I looked for all day yesterday has a 4 inch front pad... We have different standards, haha.

Just measured my first bears hide. He's 5'1" nose to tail, 5'9" nail to nail on the front. So 5'5" squared. Is the wingspan normally that much longer than the length? Or is that more for the younger, lankier bears?
The measure the pad method which comes fairly close as long as the ground isn't too mushy..works when you measure width not length of the front pad.

Or at least that's the way I've always done it.

Measure the width of the front and add an inch and viola it'll be close.

Dober
the only one i had tanned measures 6'8" nose to tail, and 6'11" wingspan
Sorry, that linear length was meant as length of the bear after the calculation, not the pad measurement.
Dats kool-we know what you meant.. wink

Dober
[Linked Image]

Here's a paw pic I put up earlier in the thread, this ones just a skosh bit better than your average bruin, even in the soft soil it's pretty obvious how good he is...

Dober

Interesting measurement ideas Greenie. The bear I shot last year was measured by our taxi friend to be 6.5'. Not sure how he pulls or stretches, but when I went to pick up the skull your cleaned for me, that is what he came up with.

I did not measure him from nose to tail before skinning, but I did measure the front pad. It was just over 5.5" Not sure how much the pad width varies from track width, due to curvature or formation of the feet when they walk. Anyhow, it seems that add 1" to the width of the front pad must be pretty close.

Here is a pic of that bear's foot. Got my letter from FWP that the bear was 8 years old.

[Linked Image]
I want to find one like that one Fin.

The waiting till Sunday story turned out to be a lie. I got too excited and went tonight. Lots of snow, no bears, and a little rust knocked off the joints. Post-holing with snowshoes is fun.
trying to do the track width + 1" thing on a picture from late last spring (i'm bored)
ignition key is 2.12". looks like about 6" wide on the pad (in fairly firm mud). add an inch and i'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about the Glock 17 i was packin' that day

[Linked Image]
Claws lookin a little far forward on that one...... whistle

Ingwe
yea, this was in the AB, so anything's possible. just a short walk from the trailhead, though. (explains the dog prints)

here is the other front in the same mud hole.

[Linked Image]
Oh, yeah...definitely lookin like the kind you can't get a tag for....

Ingwe
G-Bear!!

[Linked Image]

Quicken's your pulse crossing one of these!!
probably throws out the "width of the pad + 1" thing" LOL

the track in your pic is almost twice as big, Pat! looks as big as the plaster cast of the track from the Bob that floated around gift shops a few years back.
toad, did you ever bump into any big black bears over in the Crazies when you were a kid?
the north end of the crazies used to be pretty well stocked. they'd come down to the ranch to eat cholkcherrys in the fall and we would get a pretty good look at the population. the one on my wall squares 6'9" and he wasn't the biggest. the park service (or somebody) used to dump problem bears up the Shields in the '60s and '70s so we had to educate the trainable ones and thin out the ones that wouldn't learn.

you've probably seen a few up there...
When I lived over in Bozeman I never did make it over to the Crazies to spring hunt. Always imagined there were good bears there...Used to see a few good ones in the fall north of the Shields on 16 Mile Creek doing the chokecherry thing...Miss it over there, great country.
I used to do the spring thing in the north end a bit, saw a couple of good boys as well.

Dober
About 10 years ago, IO heard several reports of what was supposed to be a huge bear in the Buck Creek area of the Crazies. Never heard of anyone tagging him.

Fred
Got my best bruin ever in some of that country scenar is talking about....a few years back.. but it was a fall bear...does that count? grin

I hunted for five days, saw a total of 13 bears, and kept seeing the tracks of one in particular....
As a hunter, always full of hope I kept thinking " geez I'd like to run into HIM ...."

Welllllll. the last five minutes of my last day....... grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by Royce
About 10 years ago, IO heard several reports of what was supposed to be a huge bear in the Buck Creek area of the Crazies. Never heard of anyone tagging him.

Fred

in July of '06, i watched a BIG blackie make a run at a couple of yearling elk up there. i was on the divide between Buck creek and the American Fork, and the bear/elk were in the American Fork drainage.

anyyway, that was a great little episode to watch. the bear was not successful, and the elk turned around to follow the bear around (from a distance) and harass it. wifey made us move on when the bear started up the slope below us.
Good stuff right there toad...good stuff.

The biggest black bear I've ever seen was in a chokecherry patch east of Clyde Park, on Bracket Creek, below the box canyon..we were about 500 yards from it watching from the county road. He looked like an Angus beef!! We stayed and watched him until dark. A couple weeks later I had heard a bear was shot for killing sheep on a ranch just a few miles down the creek from where we were watching that one...turns out that one weighed 500+ pounds, field dressed!! Had to have been the same one.
Rufous,
glad to hear bear huntin' is your favorite, and even gladder to know that you're my guide, so to speak!
HawHee
Well gents...I royally screwed up tonight. I had a 250(ish) pound chocolate boar in my crosshairs. When I saw it, I dropped my pack, chambered a round, flipped the safety on and belly crawled about 10 yards to get a better look. After confirming it was legal I flipped the safety off and started to squeeze...nothing. It felt like my safety was still on. I looked up to confirm it was off and as I was lining him back up he walked into the trees and out of my life. Damn that heavy trigger! I waited until dark (about 45 minutes) hoping he would reappear but he never did. Hopefully he will be there tomorrow. I am throwing that 25-06 back in the safe until I can get that trigger lightened up. My 340 Wby will get to play tomorrow.
That would of been a model perfect time to try calling him out to play..best of luck in getting back on him.

Dober
Thanks Mark. I thought about that too while waiting. I'll have a snowshoe distress call with me tomorrow.
Get on him again, and if you're really comfy he's working the area maybe try calling for him. If you do give it plenty of time for him to respond, 45 minutes or so.

You'll find him again, just find the greens if there are any in site yet.

Dober
Damn DH! Best of luck tomorrow. Hope you bag him.

Travis
For all you black bear addicts-

On page 18 of this issue ( May issue ) of Field and Stream is one of the most captivating black bear pictues I have seen in a while. It's of a large black bear looking over some bushes at he photographer, every jet black hair is in focus, and there a look of lots of intelligence in the yes- Definitely worth a look on the magazine rack, at least.

Fred
Scenar-
Another Brackett Creek bear story- About three years ago, I had been bear hunting in the Crazies, and got snowed out. I was coming back through Brackett Creek, in the Skunk Creek area, and stopped to take pictures of a sand hill crane- Something caught my eye on the other side of Brakett Creek, and it turned out to be a bear eating a chunk of elk leg. I could see a couiple of cow elk running oround in a frenzy behind him. As I watched the bear, some local residents came by, and they were all excited about the two Sand Hill cranes. I casually mentioned that there was a bear on the other side of the creek eating a chunk of elk. They nonchalantly informed me that yea, they knew that, and that earlier, there had been FIVE bears there, and then proceeded to show me the photos of the five bears on their digital camera. I couldn't quite understand why they were more ecxcited to see two sand hill cranes than 5 bear.

Fred
I figured today I could drink Codiene and road hunt for Bears with pneumonia just as easily as sitting on my ass in front of the Brain Vacuum.

I saw 5 Whitey Does, about a dozen Muleys, 2 Elk, and a guy catching a 3 pound Cutty on a spinning rod...

But no Smokeys frown

I'd post pics, but I don't have a mini-USB cable to fit my cell phone...
Sometimes it's all about the weather. Today's the day!
You heading out after 'em GH?

Travis
Sometimes it's all about the weather. Today's the day!

If your thousandth post doesn't have a dead bear in it I'm gonna be bummed.
You weren't wrong Greenhorn.

[Linked Image]
Damn Carl. That pic has me horned up. grin

Travis

Nice bear Carl.

Was he just not big enough for you?

Was she just not big enough for you?

Can we stop talking about the gal that made him dinner already...
I've got a 3 day weekend for sure, and maybe a 4 dayer laugh

I got a woody
No luck yet but some good evenings and have taken some neat photos..

Winter's supposed to start again..
[Linked Image]
Very nice, GH.
Great photo Kurt! That country looks a little familiar for some reason.
Say Greenhorn What kind of tripod is that?
Greenhorn who makes that cover on your spotting scope? I have looked at several of the neoprene ones but that one looks very well made. Any idea where you bought it?

Dink
Looks like a pretty decent bear Carl!

Man I need to get out for some bears ASAP!
vander.. it's a manfrotto tripod, an old one. The cover is made by Swarovski, too much $$ though. I'm sure there are aftermarket covers out there for 1/3 the price.
055XPROB tripod?
Here's the best deal going for a stay-on spotter cover:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16263&cat=269&page=1
My Father in Law got a 6'10 bear last week,here near kalispell. Taxidermist bill is going to be $1,300 for the rug.Don't see many that size for sure.
You suck...

And I mean that the nicest way possible laugh

That little snowstorm we had yesterday made for some interesting conditions. I ended up getting the truck stuck 3 times getting into 'Plan A' Then I got a mile in (and 2100' down) and fell in the creek I was fording. So I went back to the truck before I froze...

'Plan B' was still snowed in pretty good, nothing greened up, so I assume no bears...

Plan C was to come home and drink a 6er laugh

Tomorrow I'll head back to 'Plan A' from the South end, which requires NO FORDING of creeks and pull an overnighter.
The real problem has to do with illegal immigrants.
I've seen 5 over here in the last week. No spring draw for me, so I am off to Idaho for a 4 day weekend next Friday.

None were near snow line, and none were in the cuts or on roads. All have been in natural meadows or grass patches. Most moving A LOT and are difficult to re-spot in the thick stuff.
The little woman is leaving town tomorrow and the weather is keeping me from working in the woods... Good thing it won't keep me from recreating in the woods, I've got 2 weeks without a "real" schedule. Thought I'd be seeing more grass on the mountainsides by now though. Not much in the bottoms even - the ones who woke up already must be powerful hungry!
I saw a smaller bear on the highway just outside Seeley Lake this morning. Hoping I can get out this weekend.
Hope you Montana guys can get the weather under control by the 18th of May. That's when I start bear hunting then.

Dober, very generously, provided great advice and some articles he wrote on bear hunting and I plan to use his info extensively. Just did not plan on wearing snow shoes.

Should be interesting.

Steve
What part of the state you headed to Steve? The snow missed a good portion of it.
I'll be in the Crazies, and from what I saw on weather maps, they are getting snow. My hope is that by the time I get there, the snow will have melted and the bears will be in a feeding frenzy.

Well, I can hope can't I?

Steve
Originally Posted by FNG
and the weather is keeping me from working in the woods...

I got a week until I start my vacation and get out with Deflave and Billgoatgruff. Looking forward to it....

But if this long drawn out breakup doesn't quit, I may be off work for a couple weeks. We have enough logs in the yard to last us until middle of May... I may have to get in some fly-fishing too.
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
I'll be in the Crazies, and from what I saw on weather maps, they are getting snow. My hope is that by the time I get there, the snow will have melted and the bears will be in a feeding frenzy.

Well, I can hope can't I?

Steve

Snowshoes heckola........we're talking dog sleds....... grin

Dober
Dober,
I was kinda hoping that you would give me some emotional support, not some "you are gonna need dogsleds" fright!

Actually, I'm looking forward to all of it. Having killed 4 bears, I enjoy the hunting much more than the shooting, and have no doubt I'll thoroughly enjoy the hunt even if I do not even see a single bear.

The buddy I'll hunt with did not get a bear on our last hunt, and his getting one this year is my first priority. If he does, it will be a successful hunt, and I'll be delighted. And I'll fully enjoy the country and the friendship.

Just plain bear hunting is it's own reward.

And Dober's ideas and experience will make it all worthwhile.

Steve
I'm off tomorrow for a week of Grizzly hunting. My partner an I both got drawn in the same region so this will be good.

We going to be about 8 hours north and west of here, no cell service, not many people... I do love these trips.
Anyone have any luck this weekend?

I saw 3, went after this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Made a mistake during the stock that I think cost me a pretty good chance, and am still kicking myself a little for it.

7 more days and I'll be in the Idaho Panhandle looking for a good sized boar. Can't wait to get the hell outta here!
Put the stalk on one west of town that I spotted from about 2k yards on Saturday. I drove back down to the nearest point, worked into the meadow and commenced the stalk. After being sneaky for about 45 minutes, I found myself having a conversation at 40 yards with a 3 footer. We decided it would be best if we went our separate ways. Didn't bump into mom thankfully. Fun little stalk though and a cute little bear.
Took a drive up in the mountains saturday outside of Choteau but the only thing we saw was some Big horn sheep. Some good rams in the group but no bears. Will be headed to Louisiana the 17th till the 26th to hog hunt and fish so I probably wont be doing anymore bear hunting. Good luck to the rest of ya'll.
That's brutal Carl, looks like a great bear. Stick at him, he'll show again.
Keep after him Carl and you'll get him sorted out.

I've said for a long time that things begin to happen in and around May 13th, so it won't be long and we'll have some good stories and perhaps even some deceased bruin stories...<g>

Just the way I see it...

Dober
Me, Travis, and BillyGoat are going to do our best next week.

It's killing me to be at work this week frown

Carl, whats with the Ooobermag? I thought I knew you better. eek
Carl that's a small one. I think I should shoot it.
I just love to shoot bears. I'm weird that way.

[Linked Image]
You bastid!!!

That this years?

You guys are going to cost me 1300 bucks that I don't have this spring frown
Damn! Nice bear GH!

Travis
You spotlighted that poor bear with a headlamp?

Nice one!
Very nice.
Very nice Greenhorn!
Nicely done Kurt, what night and can you put up some more pics and stats stories and such?

Thx
Dober
Grrrrrrrrrrrr...!
Sweet!
Here's a couple more photos of him, from today. I put some details on Randy's website OYOA..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Congrats Kurt. Another whopper to go with the many great bears you already have.

Wish I was home chasing bears. Not many of those here in Charlotte.
Very nice Greenie.
Wish we had a spring season here.
Plannin on some fall fatties though.
Again, great stuff as usual.
don't laugh at my pjs.
[Linked Image]
Awesome bear. Any idea what he might have weighed?
So that's how your bears are all so big, you stretch them out by the nose.

Wait, there big on the ground too. Guess that just means you are the man when it comes to bears, and elk, and muley's. OK, your just a beast
Nice bear greenhorn. Did you shoot him with your 300 ultra?

Dink
Doubtful. It's too heavy and the barrel too long to be of much use... whistle
I came to my senses and bought a kimber montana in 7wsm, shot with a moly TSX 120. I couldn't handle the recoil or manage to carry another 20 ounces in the field. laugh
Next thing you know you will packing a compact spotter instead of that fine swaro....grin.

Dink
I came to my senses and bought a kimber montana in 7wsm, shot with a moly TSX 120. I couldn't handle the recoil or manage to carry another 20 ounces in the field. laugh

Glad to hear you made the right choice by going with a cow barrel for weight savings rather than leaving beverages at the trailhead.
6 dayz till....spring bruins in the cowboy state..
[Linked Image]

Alright....it was my turn!

I wanted a brown one but a guy cant pass on one this big.

Watched 3 grizzlys in this same area for about 2 hours prior to this one making his appearence. This bear had the biggest feet I've ever seen on a black bear....at least in Montana. Old boar with well worn teeth and not an ounce of fat on him.

The shot was 450 meters with my lightweight GAP .308 shooting the 155gr scenar. Perfect conditions, dead calm and clean air. No way to close the distance without blowing him out...

Went back the next day and broke him down and snapped a few more pics...

Kurt, when do we leave for Wyoming?
[Linked Image]

Grizz....acting like they own the place....and they do!

[Linked Image]

Next day pic....

[Linked Image]

Good kit..
Great bear and wonderful pictures.
Excellent Pat!
Kurt's was a toad too...

You guys almost make me wish I was still hunting bears...

Good stuff!! laugh

Ingwe
Wow! What a nice bear. You shot my black one!!

Congrats!

I'm heading to WY next weekend, but will plan a bigger hunt in 3 weeks, the weekend of June 4th-7th.. it will be better then, hopefully the weather cooperates. Buy your bear license and conservation stamp on-line!
Bikini scope covers...When will you two ever learn? grin

Nice bears for a couple guys that are obviously "equipmentally-challenged." grin
Awesome bears, congrats to you both.
Nice bear scenar! You guys have me dying to get out after 'em.

Travis
Great bear scenarshooter!
Greenhorn and scenarshooter any idea what your bears weighed? I know nothing about bear hunting but guys they sure look big.

Bear hunting would sure beat turkey hunting in the spring. Thanks for the post guys.

Dink
Another nice one Pat!

Cool pics.
Congrats Greenhorn and SS! Great looking bears and good pics! Isn't the two of you posting pics of big dead bears somewhat of a 'right of spring'... wink
Wow! Great bears, guys!
Nice bruin Pat, well done!

Nice bins as well, love those old Leitz. And not to take away from the bruin but tell me about that 308 you built?

Thx
Dober
And to think someone questioned his use of a fixed 10X on that 308... laugh laugh
Here's mine from a couple days ago taken in the Cabinet Mts ....... although not as big as greenhorn's 8 footer grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dats a beauty!
Nice bear!
Nice bear.

Dink
Thats a dandy!! I've hunted bears there in the fall as well as big horns with a buddy....I love that country!

Nice pics and nice bear, Congrats!!
FC - very nice!
That is a stout bear!
Any measurements on that pig?
Just shy of 6' nose to base of tail and HEAVY ...... my back still hurts.
His right ear took a beating somewhere along the way. smile

Dandy bear!
Ted
Awesome bear Fairchase! I just got an email from somebody who asked me, "Whay to you have against bears anyway?"

That's what I ask my kids about gophers. Maybe someday they'll grow out of it..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Great pics and I sure hope they don't! (grow out of it)

Dober
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Just shy of 6' nose to base of tail and HEAVY ...... my back still hurts.

Sow?
That'd be my guess as well

Dober
I see you're dressing them in proper attire Greenhorn...

Gig 'em...
Boar. A 6' MT bear is considered big .... not so much in AK.
Right on. It had different facial features than I'm used to looking at, so that's why I asked. I look at as many bear faces as I can, and I still can't say I have it figured out!
The face appeared a bit odd as well, though I would of thought if it were a sow that the nose would of been a bit shorter. be interesting to see how old/young it is. Do the teeth appear worn or young?

Nice bruin either way that's for sure!

Dober
These two aren't from Montana, but they did come from right across the border in the Selway. The black one was taken on Monday, the chocolate on Saturday.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pete
Baited?

Thx
Dober
The chocolate we took with hounds. The black one...I kind of ran into on the trail on my way to a bait.

Pete
Question for you MT bruin hunters...

Are you required to salvage meat? Do you? What does your typical hide/skull weight for the pack out? Meat weigh? Thanks! I've been watching a good un through the spotting scope, but I'm not sure if I want to go get him now or wait till after June 1st. (meat salvage requirement ends)
We have to take the meat...

If I'm way back in, I'll "clean skin" the bear just like a beaver. Also detatch the the bones in the paws and clean as much meat off the skull as possible to help lighten the load on the way out....A large boar from this part of the world in the spring will make a pack weighing in about 125 to 150 pounds, meat, hide, and skull. They arent as large as the bears you guys kill....not even close.
We got skunked but not for lack of effort. I'll try and get my bear this fall.

Great time had by all though.

Travis
Scenarshooter,
Heck of a bruin, congrats. Would love to know more about that lightweight GAP 308 also.

I love to shoot bears.

Hmmmm...judging from the above post,I suspect another bruin has fallen to the mighty Greenhorn.
We got skunked but not for lack of effort. I'll try and get my bear this fall.

Great time had by all though.

Travis

True... It was fun as hell. Go ahead and tell the group about the Neopolitan Bear laugh

I missed one two Saturdays back that was maybe a 6' Chocolate/rust color with black socks. I threw rocks all over on his feet frown

Turned out he was just over 400, and I thought he was closer to 200. I'm done looking at the world through a Loopy Wide Duplex.

I got a good feeling about this weekends backpack trip into Nunya River this weekend. Since season is still open, I'll be taking the Kimber along
No LRF with you for the day? The wide reticle will do you just fine if and when you know the range...grin

Just glad you missed him totally!

Dober

I missed one two Saturdays back that was maybe a 6' Chocolate/rust color with black socks. I threw rocks all over on his feet frown

Turned out he was just over 400, and I thought he was closer to 200. I'm done looking at the world through a Loopy Wide Duplex.

If my math's right, it's either really a 3 foot bear, or you thought it was a 12 footer when you shot laugh
Randy, I think your math is backward.
Don't give Dan a too hard a time, he's harmless. laugh I'll third the motion of a good time hunting with Dan and Travis. Dan and his folks are good people.
Found 4 bears today while out scouting.

2 of them had big bear swagger, but it's hard to tell when looking at them from over a mile and a half away.

Spotting scope pics. Hard for me to get a good pic on 45x. I need to practice it I guess.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's the scopes fault you don't know the difference between 200 and 400 yards?!
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Randy, I think your math is backward.

*It's either actually a 12 footer, or you thought it was a 3 footer when you shot*

Have you been having any luck up in your neck of the woods (since the sow run in)? My counts at 13, but no bears down yet.
Yeah I finally got it figured out, just took me all damn season to get my thumb on them. Nothing of any size so far though. Season closes up here a week from today, so I need to make something happen in a hurry.

You ever see mr. big again?
Looked for him 4 more days, saw 5 more bears, none were him. Good luck.
When you spend your entire life looking through a standard duplex, it gets to be a habit. Thats all I'm saying...

I'm glad I had it happen on a bear than the 190 class Muley I have tied to a tree whistle
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Don't give Dan a too hard a time, he's harmless. laugh I'll third the motion of a good time hunting with Dan and Travis. Dan and his folks are good people.

laugh Dude, I really am harmless laugh

Don't forget, fly-fishin, sometime after mid June, but before late August.
Not toting a LRF Dan?

Dober
I have a moral problem with packing a LRF Mark...

For years I've used the height of Back-to-Briskit/Subtention in MOA superimposed in the duplex method.

3 things happened to screw me... It was 30 degrees uphill... I don't hunt bears enough to guess B2B in inches... The Wide Duplex in the FXII 4x Loopy is about 878" across at 100 yards...

Fear not laugh

I have a 2-7x33 with the LR duplex just sitting here.

For the last several years, I hadn't needed a rifle to shoot anything past 200 yards around here. Then I stick a fixed 4 on a 308, and true to my luck, I start needing hardware for 400 yard engagements frown
So, have you seen the light?!

If you are having trouble figuring out 200yds and 400yrds, it might be time to do some reading on this great forum. All the info you need is right here. You could be posting hero shots of a bear right now..
For once Calvin, I have to agree with you.

Now if it were a Muley (about 20" B2B) and I had a standard duplex, the tip of the duplex in the middle of the vitals would've made a dead Deer.

But for Bears (that vary greatly in size), across an uphill canyon, I could see an LRF, and using the B2B method to confirm the reading.

I grew up using Mils, and being told that LRFs were hell spawn. Thats been a decade and a half ago though...
Make the plunge Dan, you'll not regret it. I wouldn't be without mine anymore.
Man, can't we argue about politics or religion....

You know, something a lot less likely to hit a nerve around here laugh
Last night.

[Linked Image]
Congrats Carl! That's awesome! I know you earned that one.
Looks like a nice one Carl?? Rug?
Very nice Carl!!! Looks like a promotional poster... laugh

Can't believe you could kill a critter wearing that blue jacket... wink
Way to go!! Looks like a dandy!! How did the VLD work?
Well done Carl! New rule on the Fire though, you just can't post one pic of a good animal and hold us in suspense to see of it...so more pics please.

And the story....please

Lastly...nice blue coat

Dober

Nice bear.....

Good job.
These guys that are killing bears have my utmost respect. To consistantly kill bear, especially mature bear when purposely hunting them requires a lot of effort and skill. Good on ya!

Fred
Very cool Carl. Look forward to hearing all the details. Congrats!
Carl--your 257 or the lil 7?

Dober
[Linked Image]

Found this while digging through some oldies.....he looks real scared doesnt he?
[Linked Image]

Packing a spring bear out of Tom Miner back in the 80's. What a great time of the year to be in the mountains!!
[Linked Image]

More of it...looking towards Ross's Peak from the eastside of the Bridgers..
Just returned from 10 days in the Idaho Panhandle chasing bears. Saw a total of 14, but they were either too small, sows with cubs, or stalks that didn't pan out, and I never fired a shot. Had a great time any way. Camped in beautiful country, was with good company and away from work, so killing a bear would've only been a bonus. The drive kinda sucks though. 14 hours from the time we left camp until I rolled in the door!
[Linked Image]

Found this while digging through some oldies.....he looks real scared doesnt he?

That is my new desktop, awesome photo.

What happened next is the question
Thanks guys, I'll put up more pictures and a story after some sleep. This was certainly one of the more fun hunts I've had.

Scenar, the VLD worked as advertised, and I did use a center of shoulder hold. Caliber hole in, ~ 1" hole out, very quickly dead bear.

Mark, I used the 280AI w/ 180 VLD's. Heavy gun for where I was, but thats why I got someone else to carry it.
Nice job Carl!

Travis
Suppose I will add mine to this list. Shot it on Sunday morning. It was the 15th bear I saw this year. I squared it to 5'4" or 5'5", the taxidermist said it was 5'9". Hoping for a 6 footer, but I couldn't pass up a mature bear this color.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gorgeous Bear!

Ingwe
Gorgeous Bear!

Ingwe

Fuggin' A!!

Travis
Daughter took this picture last night, 8pm or so. NW Montana. Flathead/Lake county.

[Linked Image]
Now that is Kool, reminds me of the time the grizzly visited Choteau for the 4th of July and got a police escort out of town...grin

Dober
That's an awesome picture 308ld.
Dammit.. It ain't even Christmas yet and I'm dreaming about spring bears..
2 funny, I've been all over it as well...what is it about spring bruins anyway?

Dober
Every spring some friends and I make the trip out west for a week of hunting and it snows or rains the whole time. We've decided to concentrate on the stop in Three Forks and make shooting a bear a secondary part of the trip.
I'm plotting a way to score a chocolate this spring. We don't have them in my area. Perhaps a glacier blue bear? Damn, that would be exciting.

Just got Anthony's hide back from the tannery yesterday. It's got me all bear'd up.
Im ready to go too! Already trying to think of new places to go.
Dang Glacier Bruin, now that is the thing dreams are made of for me!

Ranger, if you get this way come spring look me up.

Dober
Mark - I might just take you up on that!
Dober, I see that you're a new ociffer in HSA. With all that new responsibility, you won't have any time for bear hunting. cool
Nice one Carl!!!
Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are all on my calender for spring black bear this coming year...I cant wait!
I did pretty good this fall. Counting down to Spring Bear as well. Hoping to draw a tag close to home. Doubt I have the points. If not, off to Idaho

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice!
Buffy-something or another tells me that some way I'll find the time...<g>

Dober

(we should grab coffee one of these days)
Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are all on my calender for spring black bear this coming year...I cant wait!
I'd be happy to have one of those on my list for this spring! wink
This old boy might work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire