Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Life doesn't get much better than tracking bruins in the snow does it!

I've only have one bruin that was serious about getting a piece of me. Client had hit it, I went into the brush to find it, had sort of an uneasy feeling about it so I took my clients 25/06 in with me (I never carried when I guided). Long and the short the brush was thick and I was on my hands and knees.

I got in short ways by crawling and looked up and there he was about 9' away, and when our eyes met he came at me hard and fast. I shot him under the chin with the 25/06 and it was lights out. He was plenty close for me... whistle

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Life doesn't get much better than tracking bruins in the snow does it!

I've only have one bruin that was serious about getting a piece of me. Client had hit it, I went into the brush to find it, had sort of an uneasy feeling about it so I took my clients 25/06 in with me (I never carried when I guided). Long and the short the brush was thick and I was on my hands and knees.

I got in short ways by crawling and looked up and there he was about 9' away, and when our eyes met he came at me hard and fast. I shot him under the chin with the 25/06 and it was lights out. Then I cried for a while and asked the client if he had any spare cloths because mine weren't any good any more.. He was plenty close for me... whistle

Dober

I fixed it for you. Or at least its what I would have done.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=42037

New regs, on FWPs site. There's been a few changes this year.

Mostly in how one in my area would validate his spring tag. Travis texted me in a panic yesterday laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I try to open it, It tells me the file has been damaged and cannot be repaired. Therefor I can't view it. I'm sure they'll fix it before I really need the info, though. We still get a rug tag and a carcass tag, right?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huh... It opened for me twice...

Anyhoo, the office on Meridian should have printed regs pretty soon.

Yes, still two tags, and yes, you have 5 days to get the hide and skull to FWP for its root canal.

Don't waste your time in the Lowlands to the West this spring. There is bears out there, but lots more spread out than other country.

I'm Irish...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh.....

32 more days [BIGCHUBBY]

I'm Irish...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Anyone have any fun bruin stories?
Spring of 01/2000 can't recall which we had 3' of white on June 13th. I couldn't get to work that day...grin so I went bruin hunting and had a super day.

That June snow was in 2001. I'd already taken a MT bear and had an Idaho license. I left work early on the last day of the ID season, the 15th (a Friday) and raced toward the border. It was my 3rd ID trip that spring. I pulled into the first USFS access across the border and started up an unfamiliar drainage. There was still a good amount of that snow and after about a mile, I cut two sets of tracks, big and small. Thinking it was a sow and cub, I kept walking and a while later crossed those tracks again, this time taking a better look. The larger track was 5 1/2" across the pad, the smaller right at 4. laugh I followed them into a draw with about 20 minutes of remaining daylight - the wind was perfect, ground was silent, and the tracks were smokin' hot. They led me to an open rockslide where the snow had melted off. On the other side, only one set of tracks continued. I followed the smaller track along the far side of the rocks and down toward the bottom of the drainage. Light was fading. At bottom, finally, I spotted one of the bears.. on a dead run .. kapow, dead tiny sow. It was one of the few times I've taken a bear and been a little bummed out. But after a few minutes, I realized that not everybody acquires such a fancy toilet seat cover for the mere cost of $350 license, $500 in fuel, $100 in food, and modest $15 expense at the tannery.

The local warden waited up till 11PM to check my bear... super nice guy.

Here's about the only photo I got, yes it's a bear, not a laborador..
[Linked Image]

The weekend prior I was hunting with friends in Idaho and this one was taken. It doesn't look like much, but it was a pretty good one - around 6ft square and had a 19" skull. We ended up skinning it under the overhead lights of a service station in front of the pumps. laugh I think I'd seen this one while glassing on my first trip, but was unable to connect.
[Linked Image]

Greenie-any chance you have another pic of the bottom bruin, the pic shown is an example of how tough it is to judge bruins from some pics and from some angles in the field. To me, this bruin appears to be a 5.5' bruin with maybe a 17" beaner on it. Just from this pic I'd no way think of it to be a 6' and 19" bruin.

Not tossing mud as you know just using the pic of the bruin as an example. Taking good bruin pics has been a tough one for me, tougher in the last few years as I tend to be less patient than I once was with taking pics and I'm normally alone as well.

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And hey Kurt and others what do you like to use for camera's? I saw a new Cannon the other day that kind of caught my eye.

Thx
Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/12/10.

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
still having the same problem - must be on my end. I always like to have a hard copy anyway, so no big deal. Motivation has officially kicked in.

Question on bear loads...
Anyone using monometal bullets on bears?? I've got loads worked up for 180 e tips and 220 partitions, should I go through the effort to work up my 180 partition loads before bruin season? Current loads worked up for accuracy, not "heat", so fairly mild by the manual's standards. And I don't have a chrono, so.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Killed one in Idaho last year with a 165gr TSX out of my Montana .300WSM. Same combo I plan to carry in May.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FNG, If you're ever up at the NVSC, introduce yourself.

I wouldn't worry about the loads. Few years back, I got my cousin on a Bear that he killed with a longbow. I've seen them equally dead from 357's, 44 Specials, and Nuke loaded 45 Colts.

I'm Irish...

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Shooting M70 300wsm under 3.5-10X50 Gold ring B&C reticle: etip 180 over 63gr H414 cci 250, and part 220 over 60gr H414 same primer both Win brass. 180 partitions seemed to group today over 64 grains 414. I'll have to shoot it again next week to see if a couple flyers were me or the load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30 days...

I'm Irish...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And melting............

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kenaiking
And melting............

Same up here! And quick . . .

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
15 days and counting...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kenaiking
And melting............

Finally.... grin

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DanAdair
30 days...

Had to get that tag issue fixed. They canceled my original Sportsman's Package and said I should have that refund in 6 weeks.

They also said I wasn't the only one. Which made the "new guy" feel more better.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Travis, did I just read you right, you're no longer "sporting" a "package". Man, I've heard of the FWP doing some harsh things but that's gott'a be the worst. laugh

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As I typed that I knew somebody would take the opportunity... grin

Package still intact and I have the right bear tag. Ready for spring!

Travis

Page 18 of 32 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,932
Posts18,518,954
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.