Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm looking at setting up as sort of a specialized rig and thinking the fixed 8 will do the trick, thanks.

http://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Be...ory=SF03&vendor=XXSB&parent=XXSB
The 8x56 can be had with a 1 inch or a 30mm tube.Im thinking the 30mm tube looks alittle less drastic than shrinking a 56mm obj down to 1 inch.30mm version would be able to use a lower ring height as well...Just sayen...

For a scope like this JMHO would be to special order a No4 or a "hold your nose" No1 reticle.Your going to be usuing it at the very last light and if its not a lighted one, get the heavest thing you can get your hands on.
The thicker the better.
A more flexable reticle would be a lighted one.Say a L7 or a L3.These will always show up in the dark and will be fine enough for load development and vermin and such in daylight.Again a special order.But so much more flexable.
The S&B lighted reticle controll is just excellant and battery life is not an issue.

You do know Steelhead that if you actually order one of thses we all have to get togeather for a group HUG.....dontjaknow.. smile smile

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Group hugs and Steelhead in the same sentence?? You been drinkin' dave??

LOL!!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DAMARA
spekaing of needing schmidt & bender scopes, i guess some people need custom rifles to kill deer
I always had trouble stalking deer with factory rifles until I got a custom. Now I can walk right up to them.

Last edited by slg888; 03/05/10.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Keep it up and I'll do this to it, and don't put it past me...

Last edited by Steelhead; 03/05/10.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by DAMARA
spekaing of needing schmidt & bender scopes, i guess some people need custom rifles to kill deer

And some folks need a french tickler shoved up their ass to have a sense of humor.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
MF! that was cool. Damn he did not even remove the scope before hand. If it was a S&B it will be fine.

Last edited by slg888; 03/06/10.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No HE didn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steelhead,

That is messed up!! Kinda scary when you go to a new rifle range isn't it???

Coulda been Stoney and that POS Stiller action he has - LOL!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"And some folks need a french tickler shoved up their ass to have a sense of humor."

That is FUNNY right there!!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Steelhead,

That is messed up!! Kinda scary when you go to a new rifle range isn't it???

Coulda been Stoney and that POS Stiller action he has - LOL!!!
After Karl welds the bolt handle, true's it up, and re-cerekote's my new Stiller, it will be new again. Lol

Alright Jeff, you talk me into it, Im going to make a drink.

Last edited by slg888; 03/05/10.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rum & Cokes for everyone!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Group hugs and Steelhead in the same sentence?? You been drinkin' dave??

LOL!!!

Naw,I just know that if he ever gets his hands on a S&B for any length of time.He will be just like the rest of us.
"Group hugs" smile
I was actually thinking about a fixed 8x56 as I have a need for one.But I blew my budget on a different one instead frown.I will eventually have one and I pretty much have it all picked our in my head..... A fixed 8x56 with a 30mm tube lighted reticle either a L7 or a L3. And....and.... a BDC.Have the parrallx changed from 100 meters to 200 meters and call it a day.If your gonna go.Why not just go all the way.It costs extra for the options for sure but the functionality of this thing would be awesome.
This set up would still be lighter weight and cheeper that a 2.5x10-56 Flashdot.
Killer.

dave

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
You boys cost me more money......... grin

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Be aware.S&B is an aquired taste.Once you get it.Its going to cost you real money...Just sayen...
dave

If I didnt have the addiction I have.I'd have more rifles than bigstick.
Cant afford one for all the rifles I have now.
But Ill get by.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I doubt it, I can appreciate GREAT glass in spotters and binos, the gnat's differences in scopes don't mean much, just needs to put a bullet where it's supposed to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Dave, which one's that pictured?

In the pic up top thats a 3-12x50 PMII.Fixed parrallax scope at 250 meters.Mil Mil reticle.

dave

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Thanks Dave.

Last year in Alberta the outfitter warned us that there would not be time to employ binos, but to use the scope to judge antlers.

He was right. However to my aging eyes at 450 yards the Leupy 4.5x14 wasn't getting it done.

Those types of hunts are too valuable to me not to give myself every possible advantage.

Hence the S&B.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 03/05/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I doubt it, I can appreciate GREAT glass in spotters and binos, the gnat's differences in scopes don't mean much, just needs to put a bullet where it's supposed to go.

Steelhead,
Ill tell ya alittle story.
In another life before I became the anti E.
I owned Leupolds.I used Leupolds.I still own and use Leupolds.I own many Leupolds.In fact I most likey still own more Leupolds than you do.Leupold was "the" scope for me,for many years.I recommened them to friends.And felt as you do,that loopies were all that was "needed". I was very much a "just needs to put a bullet where it's supposed to go" type of guy.And thats alright.Lord knows for many years thats all I could afford.
And then I bought my first 1.5-6x42 from Dunns in 86.I didnt much care for the reticle that got "bigger".Seemed goofy to me.I didnt much care for the ,at that time,very short eye relief.Only 3.1 back then.Took a couple of seasons to get used to it.At that time I only had one rifle.A Nelson Berger built 280 AI.But over the course of several hunting seasons.It grew on me. It grew on me as younger man when I dropped it out of tree stands,fell on it.And used it to part brush with.It grew on me as I repeatedly turned it into a popsicle in frozen hell Alberta 7 years running.It grew on me as I always found myself comming out of the woods later than my friends did.They had to quit because they couldn't see where the bullet was supposed to go.I could.It grew on me sitting at the rifle range as it got dark and everyone else was caseing there rifles and I was just getting ready to squeese off another group.They couldn't see.
The people I have converted.....
It grew on me on very expensive hunts when I had the opportunity,from time to time,to take shots in lighting conditions that in my mind I knew a lesser scope would fail me.
Over a long period of time I've pretty much come to the conclusion that although an aiming devise will get the job done.Great glass and hand built, build quality, make more than a "gnat's difference" TO ME.
Be warned.You buy one,your gonna end up like BobinNH.It will cost you.
Trust me.

dave

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Thanks Dave.
Last year in Alberta the outfitter warned us that there would not be time to employ binos, but to use the scope to judge antlers.

He was right. However to my aging eyes at 450 yards the Leupy 4.5x14 wasn't getting it done.

Those types of hunts are too valuable to me not to give myself every possible advantage.
Hence the S&B.

Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by CLB

P.S. I think you have BobinNH salivating right now. whistle

Heehee! That's funny!Well,see Dave has hunted Alberta with Russ Thornberry so understands that when they stick you on those fields,those rutting Alberta whitetails show without warning,are always on the move and don't stop in those fields unless a hot doe is holding them;they are always going from "here to there",and by the time you laze them, the distance has already changed,and this can be from 50 yards to as far as you can hit......time is of the essence;those bucks don't dilly-dally and neither should you.....ditto a lot of the larger mule deer that I've killed,which are distinctly different in behaviour from the younger one's that lolly gag in the open...

So I say laze when you can,but when you can't......I'd rather have Dave's machine in my mitts than a slow-poke round showing 18-20" of drop at the 400 yard mark...that rig will have one in him while the Western Extreme crowd is still doping distance...besides,where I hunt,there generally is not a camera crew and 4 observers with the Kestral Wind meters and a fleet of Swaro range finders behind me calling the shots....giving the obligatory "SEND IT" command....

To 500 yards and under(the distances most stuff is killed unless you deliberately put yourself further out,a practice common on TV or when peddling Hawkemyer Scopes)I can't think of anything better than what Dave has built,and few things as good.I also doubt that outfit is gonna contribute to a bull elk's life span grin

Like my buddy RinB says..."Trophy hunting is different...."

Nice goin',Dave! Great outfit! wink

All of it.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3584822/1

nyrifleman
I've actually had outfitters ask me to leave binos in camp.And the reason is just what you said.NO TIME.
Figure 10 seconds to see judge and kill um.
For an Alberta hunt
Schmidt & Bender is the only way to fly.

dave

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Dave,

10 seconds was about twice the amount of time I had. I got into the habit of mentally counting how long it took those deer to cross the gas lines. 6 seconds was my max in a week's worth of hunting.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 39 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.