-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well Steve, that is indeed sad for the shooter but final for the GW.

I stand by what I said about KNOWING what your target is before pulling the trigger.

While I am sure the fellow that did the shooting is full of remorse it won't bring the other man back. If I am not 100% sure of my target I do not pull the trigger. If he was using 1st or 2nd Gen night vision, well that stuff is kinda blurry and not very good for determining what you are seeing other than a green blurry outline.

I night shoot 'yotes and hog as predator and nuisance control on my daughters place using IR as a spotter and then white light before firing. You see, I am scared to death of doing what your friend did. I would rather give a critter a pass than have to live with that. She is just across a state 2 lane from a large WMA and the GFC guys have been known to wander onto her property looking for poachers and other outlaws, we welcome them doing so.

I will no longer condemn him as a non-hunter but still say his judgment was way off, he should have made positive ID before shooting.

I will say no more, but offer prayers for the dead Officer & his family and your friend as well.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can understand a lawyer or politician being mistaken for a coyote, but most game wardens are much more upright.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There was a guy shot in TX a couple of years ago thought to be a hog by his "friends." I don't remember if he was killed though.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TLee, you hit the nail on the head - white light before firing.

Add to that, never shoot at eyes.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can understand a lawyer or politician being mistaken for a coyote, but most game wardens are much more upright.

You real sure of that??

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Maybe it was an older gay, female ranger who didn't believe in shaving her legs..

Although, the uniform shoulda tipped him off..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
no, in fact it was a 37y/o man with a 4yr old daughter that will grow up without a daddy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ditto - what TLee said: Got nothing to do with it. You either identify what you are shooting at or hold fire, BOTTOM LINE.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
no, in fact it was a 37y/o man with a 4yr old daughter that will grow up without a daddy.
I hear ya.. It was a poor attempt at humor...

In all sincerity, I hope the judge tosses this dude behind bars for about 10 years...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terrible tragedy all around. Not to offer an excuse but many times when a person expects to see something they see what they expected and come to find out it really wasn't what they thought they saw at all.

Just saying this guy was hunting at night and expecting to see a coyote and saw a coyote.

There is a certain deer stand on my place and out from it a way is a down log with bush growing up behind it. Many times in low light or fog I have seen one fine buck standing there. Never shot it but I can understand how it could happen.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
BCR,
Well said. I think most hunters can relate to a time when their eyes teamed up with their brain to try and deceive them.

Mr. Redneck,
This guy is a friend of mine and the last thing he deserves is prison. As of now there have been no charges filed and he was not arrested.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Know where you've been on that Boggy! Have experienced the same.

Especially irritating to me, is if someone with you trying to convince you they are sure it is a 'yote', hog, deer, whatever. Well, some times it is and sometimes it isn't!

Don't hunt with those types anymore, next time might be me!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is a certain deer stand on my place and out from it a way is a down log with bush growing up behind it. Many times in low light or fog I have seen one fine buck standing there. Never shot it but I can understand how it could happen.

On a lighter note, I had a friend who had a tree limb sticking out on his place that looked just like a nice buck. He decided to play a joke on another guy one season and while driving through the pasture one day with the guy he was going to play a joke on, my friend pretended to look in the direction of the tree limb and say, "Hey, look at that good buck!" He hardly even looked at the limb when he said it and was giggling to himself as his friend had him stop the truck. He was giggling even harder when his friend opened the door and rested his rifle. It was all he could do to contain himself when his friend lined up the shot and shot his "deer".

On the drive over, my friend was now giggling so hard that the other guy was beginning to suspect that something was up. And my friend was outright laughing out loud, right until....they walked up on the very nice ten point buck laying right beside the tree limb that looked like a deer. laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe

On a lighter note, I had a friend who had a tree limb sticking out on his place that looked just like a nice buck. He decided to play a joke on another guy one season and while driving through the pasture one day with the guy he was going to play a joke on, my friend pretended to look in the direction of the tree limb and say, "Hey, look at that good buck!" He hardly even looked at the limb when he said it and was giggling to himself as his friend had him stop the truck. He was giggling even harder when his friend opened the door and rested his rifle. It was all he could do to contain himself when his friend lined up the shot and shot his "deer".

On the drive over, my friend was now giggling so hard that the other guy was beginning to suspect that something was up. And my friend was outright laughing out loud, right until....they walked up on the very nice ten point buck laying right beside the tree limb that looked like a deer. laugh
Love it!!!!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
great story.....thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1234567
MACON, Ga. (AP) � The U.S. Forest Service is investigating after a ranger was shot and killed in central Georgia by a hunter who apparently mistook him for a coyote.

I've never hunted coyotes, but I wonder how anyone could do this.

Maybe it wasnt an accident... it has been known to happen!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Read the thread. It was an accident.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Read the thread. It was an accident.

Your right, I didnt read the whole thread.

Sorry it happened.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now I'm no expert, but I do believe my BS detector is going off.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess anything can happen, but this one doesn't quite jive, as tragic as it is. Lots of murders have been blamed on hunting accidents. I guess the full investigation will shed some more light on the subject. May have just been a accident some guy will have to live with the rest of his or her life. Being mistaken for a coyote , just makes you wonder.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.