Print Thread
Hop To
R
RandyS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What are your opinions about competing with other Savage Collectors (SC) members for purchasing online auction items when the seller is a SC member?

I try not to compete with other SC buyers on auctions, or at least try to find out just how important the item is to the other member. We all want to get the most money for what we sell at an auction site, and want to pay as little when we are the buyer. I don't buy or sell enough to really link into much hoss tradin' via PM or networking here on the SC. And, yes, I understand there are plenty of "Take no prisoner!" types on this forum, who would push their own grandmother down the stairs on their way to get a good deal. Not that I know many of the off-SC monikers used at auctions.

Seems to me that if I don't bid due to who the buyer is, I don't give the seller what they could be earning.

On a totally different subject, anybody here go by "stansavage" at other auction sites? Just wonderin'. No reason, in particular. I did a search on 24H and could find no reference.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it's a buddy, I'll probably pass on the rifle just as I wouldn't bid against him if I ran into him at a live auction.

That is, unless I REALLY want it. grin

And I don't mind if somebody outbids me for a rifle. Lots of serious things to get upset about in this life, not winning a rifle doesn't tend to make it on my top 10 list.

R
RandyS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
And I don't mind if somebody outbids me for a rifle. Lots of serious things to get upset about in this life, not winning a rifle doesn't tend to make it on my top 10 list.

Amen, brotha!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RandyS

On a totally different subject, anybody here go by "stansavage" at other auction sites? Just wonderin'. No reason, in particular. I did a search on 24H and could find no reference.

Randy
He's From Wisconsin. If You Need More Info Send Me a P.M.
Nice Guy.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there is enough competition out there that I think the price will likely be what is "right." I do have issues with ppl shill bidding beyond what they would actually pay. When I see a forum member publicly list an gun for sale, I will often immediately bid that gun all the way to what I will pay (most ppl will pay more) just as effort to help get the bidding started or up to a "fair" value. On the other hand, I think bidding right to some other members reserve (knowing I would not pay that price if there was no reserve) in hopes that some desperate fool will come along and make that next bid, is not right or fair.

Helping a friend- okay

Shill bidding- just plan wrong... it sqews the true value of these guns and drive the prices up that much faster.

Last edited by lovemy99; 03/12/10.

Andrew
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You better find your guns offline. Sellers online are looking to take advatntage of people that just don't know any better ,or,
feel they need to have a handle on or own everything that comes on.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I look through the auctions every now and then and have bought a few Savages there, but it's been a while. Seems like most of the time the prices are out of line for what's being offered. Every once in while there's a gun to be had that's worth the price, so I keep tabs on what's available. I would have no problem bidding against another forum member, that's how the free market system works. I see no reason to not try for something just because someone else saw it first. That's why auctions run for several days, more buyers have a chance and maybe the seller gets higher bids.

Posters on this forum sell rifles on the auction sites all the time. Wouldn't they what all of us to feel free to bid instead of holding off because another forum member bid on it first? Why wouldn't you give a non forum member the same opportunity to get a better price for their gun?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I like the way this was put by mw406. Even posting the on going autions shouldn't matter much. If I can find them in a matter of 5 to 10 minutes in a day by looking at my favorites list that is stacked with Savage auctions, just think how easy it is for the folks that sit on they're bum all day and think Savage. I say bid and post what you please. It's a small internet world after all.

If every one is thinking the same, then some one is not thinking. G.S.Patton.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been a buyer and a seller on the auction sites.

I don't mind seeing people fighting over my guns when I am selling.

I guess I take the same approch when buying. I don't take it persoanlly when somebody from the forum is willing to pay more for something they really want than I am. I hope they don't take it personally when I am willing to pay more for something I really want than they are.

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,582
Posts18,510,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.