Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rodngun
I havent been on this board very long -but damn - why all the hostility on here ?? Just asking - just saying.

No wonder the media and Obama Factors have such a easy time dividing us..we cant even agree to disagree on a outdoor forum..
Is this place so critical that we take shots at each other just for spite..seems to me a few on here could take some anger management of some type..Good grief - its just a outdoor forum,

I usually try to be a little more civil than I tend to be here with a couple people on the optics forum. I thought I was pretty polite about the first 30 or so times "E" mentioned the same incorrect baloney. The next 20 or so I was less polite and yea I can be a little rude to him after so many times of hearing the same old blather. After a while here you'll see what I'm talking about.

On the other hand I never saw much point in making a post that says all a given thread is stupid. Why add to it? If you don't like it just move on unless you can steer it in a better direction.

But your points are taken into consideration. I think it's good that we DO here from newer posters how we sound from the outside and maybe we can adjust our tone a little bit.....................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Rodngun
Originally Posted by goodnews

Why do you post then if this thread is so beneath you sir?

I never said or implied that it was beneath me ..did I ?? If I did I somehow missed it.I'm just new on here and cant seems to figure out how we go from a conversation - to name calling and high school stuff..if you didnt understand my post - sorry.

He wasn't 'talking' at you, besides you're from Texas so can't be all that bad.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I enjoy the thread - I just dont know or understand how grown men can go from a discussion to name calling and taking shots at each other over a Scope thread thats all..seems all kinda trivial to me..None of us are the same -and thats a good thing-
I can stir the pot with the best of em..trust me - Loll - but hell - this is just a scope thread.I like to debate with anybody on any subject - but why demean yourself - only being on here for a week or so -I have seen and read some award winning stupidity !! But I dont have to call them fella's out -they know who they are.

Off the soapbox & entirely finished with this one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My only point being that:

"How many have blown a shot because of (fill in the blank)?"

Is a never ending waste of time. There is no contribution of any hard verifiable facts or to any newbie making an intelligent choice.

In most real hunters experience (like African PHs or "out west" guides) 99% of misses are due to the "nut behind the bolt", not equipment failure.

Well said and I concur:
"Off the soapbox & entirely finished with this one."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldman1942
REPEAT!

we really need an ignore feature added for stupid threads.

What's this "we" chit......some of us can advertise and sell in the free classifieds here,....you can't,....

so, how "Special" is that,....?

"We",....good Lord.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Leupolds have been gone since the 90's. One of the reasons I stopped using them was tracking problems. Don't remember if any shots were lost because of that, but I saw it happen. I was spotting rockchucks for a friend. He clicked up for a 370yd shot, then clicked back down for another one at something like 150. The scope stayed high and the shot was well over. I've hunted with him a bunch, he's very good with a rifle and almost never misses......never ever a gimme like that. It was a near-new VXIII 6-20. He may/may not have fooled with the knob, I don't remember, but that chuck died next shot. It was just a rockchuck and no big deal. But scope adjustments are supposed to work properly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW just freakn WOW. Ive got a new excuse now. Yea I didnt get a deer this year because my Leupold scope failed me. Just knew I should of bought a Zeiss or Schmidt and Bentit. Of all the things to fail on a hunt unless it gets dropped out of a tree My leupys are the last thing I would ever worry about.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope, never had a Leupold fail in any way. They may have been better quality scopes out there, but I've never missed a shot or had a shot that a different scope would have allowed me to take that the leupold couldn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm...Blown shots? No.

Had a Leup 6x develop an audible rattle. Sent it back, fixed free, still have it.

One Bushnell killed by a 7mm mag's recoil, would not focus.

A Busnell 3200 10x fixed ($10 each time) for an elevation turret that was so tight the turret would unscrew from the tube. It did it again and so it went back again. The second time it came back it was fixed, and they threw in scope covers and a discount coupon.

This past fall I set my .308 on sandbags, which the range was kind enough to cover in duct tape, making them slick. I turn around to get something else, and hear a clatter. I turn and see the rifle slide off the bags, bang its way off the concrete bench, land scope down on the concrete pad. I stood there for a moment, stunned, with five other guys also looking kinda distressed. Leup Vari-X-III 2.5x8 - The zero had moved maybe 2" at 100 yards, as best I could tell. Not bad.

Odds are I'll buy a VX3 this year.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have never had a Leupold let me down mechanically in the field...only one did that and it was a highly touted Euro variable;I won't mention the brand but it is known for fabulous optics (true).

But in the past I have used mostly fixed 4X power Leupolds most of which seem pretty rugged....these are not great low light scopes,and if you have to shoot or see to aim into a shaded slope with a rising sun and bright sky behind it you are screwed most of the time.

But they are rugged.....

I have broken my share of Leupold variables over the years largely through range use.But I have figured out how to avoid this.....after they have seen 800-1000 rounds, I unload them....yes even if they work.Their time is coming; I treat them like disposable napkins.

Lots of variable scopes last a long time because their owners don't shoot much.

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/22/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I use Leupold on my hunting rifles for many years now, was a long time advocate of them even when they were rare in France. Not a single time a Leupy let me down even after a good fall mountain hunting in french Alps with my heavy N�1 or after my friend fall with my custom AWR and 2,5-8 in Pyrenn�e. I use also S&B, Zeiss, Weaver, Bushnell for hunting and shooting. I trust Leupold and S&B more than others. Note that in Europe Leupold has the best warranty repair service followed by S&B.
That the simple truth!

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who here has actually missed a shot or couldn't get a good early morning/late evening sight picture on a game animal because they were using a Leupold scope?

Not I....but for that matter, I can say the same thing about a few Tasco scopes I've owned!

Last edited by vapodog; 03/22/10.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I missed a Kudu because my Leupold variable was set at 10X and I couldn't find the animal in the scope. Leupold should have included a warning device to alert me. My car warns me if I fail to release the parking brake.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+10 the MOST common error made by variable users. Guess that why everyone is chasing the 3X M8.......

Drop a note to our Kenyan... I'm sure he'll appoint a scope Czar to fix it.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Oldcoyote
I missed a Kudu because my Leupold variable was set at 10X and I couldn't find the animal in the scope. Leupold should have included a warning device to alert me. My car warns me if I fail to release the parking brake.

LMAO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a Leupold cost me an animal, but a Bushnell Elite 3200 did one time. It just wasn't bright enough in the woods at last light for me to feel comfortable making the shot. Sold it and now have a 4200 which doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (10Glocks, 35, 300_savage, 14idaho, 405winash, 9 invisible), 941 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,411
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.