Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I've got a 9422 magnum that I've had for most of about 12 years.I say most of because it was stolen about 10 years ago, and recovered about 2 years later.When I had it the first time, it shot very well( about 1.25" groups at 100 yards).Now it won't shoot worth a crap( 2 shots may hit right beside each other, then 3 and 4 may group 3"s away).

When I got it back, I took it all apart because it was very dirty and badly pitted.I cleaned it up as best I could and later had it parkerized.As best as I can tell there are no pits in the bore,It looks shiny when you look down it at a light anyway.The scope was also missing,so I put a good Leupold Compact scope on it in steel millet rings.

I have changed mounting systems twice, and that didn't help.I also sent the scope back to Leupold. They said they replaced the erector system, but I can't tell any difference.

I was just wondering if maybe I put something back together wrong. Maybe I over/under tightened something.Maybe the barrel bands or somewhere else.

Any ideas as to what may be wrong,or tips ya'll use to get more accuracy out of your 9422's.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The biggest difference in accuracy that I have seen in the 9422 M's has been the choice of ammo. Are you shooting a lead bullet?? Or a jacketed bullet?? Or have you mixed lead and jacketed. That is a no no. You may have some leading issues and your jacketed will not shot. Or just the opposite. You may have some copper in the barrel and the lead is not shooting good. First thing I would do is give the barrel a real cleaning. I might even consider lapping the barrel, and then choosing one particular type of bullet and stay with them. Tom.

West By God Virginia
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
After you give the barrel a good cleaning, you might want to ake a look at the muzzle and see if the rough treatment the rifle received included dings to the muzzle that could be easily cured with hand tools.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the ideas.I sarted this last attempt with a good cleaning and inspection of the barrel.No dings in the muzzel and, as far as I can tell, no pits in the bore.I tried the 4 different types of shells that I had on hand.CCI 30gr tnt and 40gr maxi-mag and winchester 40gr hollow point and 34gr supreme.The win. stuff shot better than the CCI stuff, but still bad.This rifle use to shoot either winchester load real well.

any other ideas would be appreciated.Thanks, fldoghunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try the Hornady 30 gr V-Max or Remington V-Max , every 22 magnum i have tried these in will shoot one or both of these loads.. Get some of the Foaming Bore Cleaner and try it. Let in sit in the barrel for 15 to 20 Min's then clean as usual. Then foam it again and repeat the regular cleaning. Get you a magnifying glass and look close at the muzzle , this is the only way to check out the crown for damage. More crown damage is done with a cleaning rod than any other way

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks bea, if I can find those shells around here, I'll try 'em.I used the foaming bore cleaner and the barrel seems to be clean.I'll look at the bore closer to check for damage.If I didn't know what this rifle was capable of in the past,I'd just pull the scope, reinstall the sights and consider it a handy 50 yard gun.If I can't figure it out I still might.Those Browning T-Bolts sure look and feel good. Sure don't want to drop $700 on another .22mag though.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
boy that is a puzzle.

like bea175 stated, mine also really likes them little 30 gr vmax.

but I guess I haven't found a load that shoots lousy yet in mine either.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 9422M is scoped and seems to like heavier bullets of 40-45 grains. It shoots both Federal target and S&B into .25 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards and .5 inch groups at 50 yards from a bench in an indoor range; they also shoot to the same point of aim. The CCI copper bullets and other lighter bullets that I have tried will group 1+ inches at 50 yards and high to the left, so I stick with the heavier bullets and let my grandson use the others as plinking ammo.

In my experience, most rimfire .22 rifles shoot certain brands and weights of ammo better than others, so when you do break the code, stick with the winner.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I know it always shot the winchester 40gr hollow point or 34gr supreme great in the past, so I don't think it's an issue with the ammunition. It acts like somethings loose.I'm thinking I will try to clean it real well and inspect the crown again.Then maybe change scopes.Even though I sent it back to leupold, there could still be something loose inside.Thanks for all the ideas

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
give it a try with open sights and see what happens... at least you will know if its the scope or not.

Nothin Clever Here
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MarlinBill
give it a try with open sights and see what happens... at least you will know if its the scope or not.

I will try that. Also, I will try it with a different scope. I just need to find the time.Been spending all I have to spare chasing turkey birds.Season ends in two weeks it will have to wait till then.Thanks guys for all the ideas.

Souunds like a bedding problem. I have a 77/22 that I picked up used some time ago. I see why it was for sale...I couldn't hardly cover a paper plate @ 100 yds. I took off the stock and at the front of the forend there was a bit of wood left from the inletting about the size of a pin head. Black, with the tell tale shiny spot on the barrel. removed it, and I've been shooting 1 1/2" or less groups ever since.
I'd start there. Take the action out of the stock, make sure the barrel attachment is snug, look for high spots and foreign stuff in the barrel channel, reassemble, w/o the barrel band at first, and go from there.

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
- Winston Churchill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any recent word on possibly resolving your issues?

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I honestly haven't had time to mess with it yet.To many projects going on at one time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 71 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.