-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He's been pretty good to me since I started talking to him again.I didn't "disbelieve" but I had doubts.

I am not anti God or Christianity,I just don't put much stock in churches,a typical result from being raised Catholic.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I never know which Bible you guys are talking about-there are so many different ones.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There is only 1 true Bible from God..........

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I've read this whole thread and it reinforces a contradiction in reasoning that I became aware of years ago :

The same guys who have no problem accepting the fact that the universe is so immense that its size is incomprehensible to our minds will demand of the Creator of the universe that He be understandable to us . Our puny selves demand that He satisfy our intellect and - once that is done - we will allow for His existence .

Jesus Christ is very real and as Brother Lawrence put it many years ago : " He is within you - look not for Him elsewhere . "

Once He is accepted , all questions will vanish .

Until He is accepted , no answer will satisfy .

This response to the OP is equivalent to: Drink the Koolaide and everything will be OK. I suspect that the OP already knows that. Giving up on what the mind wants to know is not an answer to the question posed.

Moreover, the premise that the Universe is unknowable is intellectually lazy. We, as a cognitive species, should be capable of basing our faith on something more substantial.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Curdog4570,

Comes about as close to the truth as anything I've seen here in a long time, regardless of what saith the naysayers. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drink the Koolaide and everything will be OK .

See there Neighbor Carbon , I can spell it out and if that is what I meant , it is what I would have said .

And the SIZE of the universe is not comprehensible to us - at least according to the scientific types who study it .

The Creator of the universe cannot [ at least by our minds ] be comprehended , which is why He must be APPREHENDED .

You " catch " Him - in the Person of Jesus Christ - in much the same way you "catch " a cold . You hang around someone who is "infected " with Him . [ I think I prob'ly got that from Lewis ]

I recommend Ricky D and the Shootist as being about the most " infected " at the ' fire and not because they said nice things about my earlier post , although I do appreciate it .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Moreover, the premise that the Universe is unknowable is intellectually lazy. We, as a cognitive species, should be capable of basing our faith on something more substantial.
God knows the limitations of His creation. While our minds may be able to conceive of and bring into being, all manner of technological wonders, I note that few genuinely improve the quality of life and most make us slaves to that technology. That tells me there is something missing. Something essential beyond our mental and creative abilities.

I believe that is why He insists on the qualifier of Faith to both accept Him and be accepted by Him. The intellect of the world is largely vain and proud, which leads to perverions and self worship. He can accept none of that, but to come humbly, without pride and filled with remorse and brokeness, and believing only by faith, that He both Loves and accepts.

1 Cor 1:27-31

27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
KJV

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
"I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability."

O.W.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I recommend Ricky D and the Shootist as being about the most " infected " at the ' fire and not because they said nice things about my earlier post , although I do appreciate it .
You are too kind. I have noted a good number of posters on here of late, who are obviously filled with the Spirit of God and who possess a Spirit led understanding of the Word of God. There are many out there and those who stay silent in the shadows are often those whose voices should speak out as I'm sure they will when it is their time.

Brother Keith has a wonderful and annointed understanding and he is consistent in it's application and sharing of the Gospel. One of the great misfortunes in life is that I have never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but do believe he lives his faith which is the test we all face but few survive.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
"I sometimes think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability."

O.W.

In other words, PAP. LOL

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've never known curdog4570 to call it any other way than what he sees it. Consistently!

Faith is a strange thing. The greater the faith, the less you need the sight end of the spectrum, because we walk by faith and NOT by sight. Faith, by definition, is the evidence of things NOT seen. (Heb 11) It's nigh unto impossible to convince someone who is stuck in the "seeing is believing" department.

Now, is God vengeful. Yes, but ALL his attributes are in complete balance -- love, justice, grace, mercy, wrath, forgiveness, charity, equity. You and I would do well to learn a lesson from the Lord. wink He says "Vengence is mine, I will repay." Count on there being a day of reckoning. Absolutely count on it.

But count on this too -- God's vengence is stayed by the shed blood of the perfect Son of God - Jesus Christ, the Righteous. I guess we all would like to fashion a God after how we would like him to be. In spite of that, God is just exactly the way the Bible says he is. He pardons, based NOT on our actions, but on the sacrificial love of Jesus Christ on the cross. Period! Get in on the love of God through faith in Jesus Christ, or get ready for the vengence and wrath. Simple principle ------ and it has NOTHING to do with denominations. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I've never known curdog4570 to call it any other way than what he sees it. Consistently!

Faith is a strange thing. The greater the faith, the less you need the sight end of the spectrum, because we walk by faith and NOT by sight. Faith, by definition, is the evidence of things NOT seen. (Heb 11) It's nigh unto impossible to convince someone who is stuck in the "seeing is believing" department.

Now, is God vengeful. Yes, but ALL his attributes are in complete balance -- love, justice, grace, mercy, wrath, forgiveness, charity, equity. You and I would do well to learn a lesson from the Lord. wink He says "Vengence is mine, I will repay." Count on there being a day of reckoning. Absolutely count on it.

But count on this too -- God's vengence is stayed by the shed blood of the perfect Son of God - Jesus Christ, the Righteous. I guess we all would like to fashion a God after how we would like him to be. In spite of that, God is just exactly the way the Bible says he is. He pardons, based NOT on our actions, but on the sacrificial love of Jesus Christ on the cross. Period! Get in on the love of God through faith in Jesus Christ, or get ready for the vengence and wrath. Simple principle ------ and it has NOTHING to do with denominations. wink

What he said.
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well Bark..

it is a choice... evident by those that don't have a belief in God..

My belief in God is not a "cover my fanny" scenario..and there is no game playing on my end..

just for the record..

Was not insinuating that believers are gaming God, only referenced myself, meaning, I could say I believe when in reality I can't.

Your post shows a lack of understanding for non-believers, you assume that those who do not believe, choose to not believe. Because it is easy for you, you assume it should be easy for all.

Who in their right mind would choose to believe there is nothing after death, when the alternative is bliss and reuniting?

That is like saying those who do not buy a lotto ticket choose not to win the lotto.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by the_shootist

What he said.
smile

+1

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead

O.W.
"

Scott , that's a humorous way of saying something which seems to have a certain validity . That observation might be explained better this way :

Man shares all the instincts which govern the rest of His critters , but we have another instinct which is peculiar to us ; the religious instinct . From earliest recorded history , man seems to need something " bigger and better " than himself . He makes totem poles and such .

It seems some folks mistake this religious instinct for our spiritual nature's honest quest for our Creator .

The religious instinct can lead to an intellectual satisfaction such as ; The Sun is god . There is no god . Everything is god . ad infinitum . It can lead to membership in a cult or a church . Just as our other instincts [ you're probably familiar with the sex one grin ] need to be periodically satisfied , some make taller totem poles and others check out different churches and cults and the " deniers " take every opportunity to bolster the claims of their diety ; the non - god .

None of this satisfies our spiritual quest for our Creator . This is the Higher Calling .

Just as lust is a God given instinct when directed toward our mates and Satan's own tool when left un - checked , the religious instinct is properly used as the servant of our spiritual nature , and Satan's best tool when serving our intellectual [ or fleshly ] nature .

Notice that as the religious instinct led John the Baptist to preach repentence and baptistism , he never mistook that for the "real deal" .

When he met Jesus , he knew This was the REAL DEAL .

And so will we all .

It's far better to meet Him as Saviour than as Judge !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tom264
There is only 1 true Bible from God..........

Are we talking about the 1599 Geneva Bible that the Pilgrims carried ashore from the Mayflower?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any "god " worth worshipping ought to be able to convince a man of His existence .Don't you think ?

We christians claim He can do exactly that !

Nothing is required except an open mind and rigorous honesty .

We have to find "god " where WE are , not where we think He might be or where someone else tells us He can be found .

It is as simple as " saying " to your innermost self that you " sort of , kind of " wish you could believe in Him and establish some sort of relationship .

A part of His nature is devoted to helping you find Him and that is the part you find first .

Since I happen to know that there is only one God and He is personified in Jesus , I'm not afraid you will find the " wrong " god . Unfortunatly , some christian preachers seem to be afraid you might find the " wrong " one if they don't point Him out to you !

The bible is for believers , and once you come to any sort of belief , it will present itself to you in a different light and good bible scholars and preachers can be a big help .

But if your mind is closed to the possibility of a God who cares about His creatures , then He might as well not exist .

A feller told me years ago : " What you believe about God is not going to change Him one little bit , but what you believe about Him can change you . He ain't the one that's a drunk ; He don't need changing ! "

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
'bout as good an answer as the OP is ever gonna find , Keith .

One feller said that in the end , God's infinite Mercy" trumps " His infinite sense of Justice and that seems to me to be the same thing you are saying .

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.