Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Last week I broke down and ante'd up the cash to purchase a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL binos. Everybodies' help was much appreciated in my search. Next on the agenda is a top notch spotter. I'm thinking Swaro, or Leica. It will be a year or so before I can save the $$$, so I have plenty of time to research. I'm thinking something with a 60mm Obj. 20-60 power range. I'm equiping myself for a Sheep hunt that is on my bucket list. Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
First question: When talking about Swarovski is the HD version really worth the extra $600? I see I can get a ATS 65 from Doug for around $1500, while the HD version is $2200.. any thoughts?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Before you buy anything in that class check out the Kowa Prominar 663/664. Fantastic glass for less $$$. To answer your last question. Buy the HD if you're into taking pics through the spotter. Otherwise it's debatable if it's worth it IMO. 60x is rarely usable in 65mm class spotters.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Davis I think your right on track. I have a zeiss 65mm with 15 to 45 power eye piece and I am amazed how often I can use the 45 power. I think the swaro with the 60 power eye piece would be ideal.

Dink

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Before you buy anything in that class check out the Kowa Prominar 663/664. Fantastic glass for less $$$. To answer your last question. Buy the HD if you're into taking pics through the spotter. Otherwise it's debatable if it's worth it IMO. 60x is rarely usable in 65mm class spotters.

JGRaider....Have you used one of these Kowa spotters? Get a chance to do a side by side comparison with a comparable unit?

Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Kowa and love it. Go to a highpower match sometime and you will see that the line is full of them.

Kowa, for all its quality is rarely if ever advertised in the gun rags but is hugely popular with birdwatchers.

Maybe Mule Deer will put his 2 cents in on them.I hope so.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread as I am in the market for one as well. THinking Zeiss 65 with Lotutec but never considered Kowa. Selling some stuff to get funds, in next 30 days or so am pulling the trigger.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just keep in mind that all Kowas are not the same. I don't recall the exact model that is common among high power shooters, but IIRC it sells in the $800 range (TSN?), considerably less than the high end Euro scopes and the Prominar. I have never looked through a Prominar, but a buddy has a Kowa and I have looked through it on the firing line along with Leicas and Zeiss, and the Kowa isn't in the same league. I have seen one review of the Prominar by folks whose opinion I respect, and they say the Prominar is the new gold standard, edging out their former favorite, the Zeiss.

I'm not sure why the Kowa is the scope of choice among HP shooters, but I suspect that it meets their spotting needs at a reasonable price point. Watching mirage and seeing target disks are not the most demanding tasks for a spotter. Birdwatching is a whole different league, as is trophy assessment.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Check out this website, http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php, written by Ilya Koshkin, who posts on Optics Talk Forum. He covers spotting scope, binos and scopes by price categories. He is an optics engineer and a shooter, and has posted reviews of what's new at the Shot Show. Also, http://www.birdwatching.com/optics.html, a birdwatching site, for reviews of spotting scopes. Be aware that birdwatchers prefer angled scopes for comfort, since they tend to be looking up, whereas shooters often prefer straight scopes because they tend to be looking straight ahead, but the desirable optical qualities are similar. In both sites Kowa Prominars are top rated, along with Leicas, Zeiss and Swarovski. The Prominars use a special fluorite objective which results in unsurpassed resolution. The Vortex Razor has also gotten some great reviews at a lower price point, but I don't know if it comes in 65mm size. If you're seriously looking at top glass, you'll want to try them out for yourself, as you may prefer the "look" or "feel" of one scope to another, and that is something only you can decide.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

JGRaider....Have you used one of these Kowa spotters? Get a chance to do a side by side comparison with a comparable unit?

Thanks

I've looked through a Kowa 663 (the angled model) as my taxidermist had his Swaro 65 non HD. Maybe not a fair comparison, but I preferred the view through the Kowa. Kowa Prominar vs Swaro HD or Zeiss Fl may tell a different story, but the Kowa is world class glass for sure. I prefer sraight eyepieces (Kowa 664) myself.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've posted this before, and it bears repeating. Pay close attention to the eyepiece, especially eye relief. Don't take the manufacturers' eye relief specs for gospel, look through them yourself if possible.

I sense that, from a marketing standpoint, a big honkin' objective lens has customer appeal. But in terms of overall function, a quality eyepiece is at least as important. It may be that some manufacturers cut quality in the eyepiece to hold a price line.

A big part of the appeal of the Kowas for HP competitors is the availability of the 27X LER eyepiece. It seems like a great balance of power and ease of use for that type of shooting.

Just another $.02 from me.

Paul

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To take that one step farther....Given the same quality glass, a 85mm class spotter will resolve better and give more detail than a 65mm class spotter every time. Physics at work. It may not make any practical difference when hunting, but it is there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To take that one step farther....Given the same quality glass, a 85mm class spotter will resolve better and give more detail than a 65mm class spotter every time. Physics at work. It may not make any practical difference when hunting, but it is there.

That's the key, or sometimes the catch.

Paul

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ok,

Tell me again why the HD version is worth more than the non HD. I'm not really getting it. I was surfing Doug's website. He has a Swarovski ATS65 with 20-60 eyepiece for $1499.00 The HD version is $2049.00 without eyepiece, which cost $699. So I ask you is the HD worth $1200???? Somehow I doubt it. Convince me!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have never looked at a swaro HD so take this for what its worth. I have been told several times that if you don't take pictures through your spotting scope you will never need HD. I have been told there is a very slight difference between HD and non-HD to the human eye but in a hunting/shooting situation you will never need the HD.

Dink

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ok I know these prices are closeout deals, and aren't going to last for long. I'm tempted to max out the CC and get this non HD model Swarovski. someone talk me into the HD so I will wait?!!!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Ok,

Doug could you weigh in on this delima? Is the HD model worth the extra $1200? I plan on using this for a sheep hunt in the not too distant future.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Davis the HD model is not worth it in my opinion. I have looked through leica's and there is a difference but not that kind of money difference.

Call Doug he will tell you the same thing I think.

Dink

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
JG, I can't seem to find a price on the Kowa Prominar; I found the 66mm on line though.How much are they?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Opticsplanet had the 663/664 Prominars with zoom for about $1100 package deal the last time I looked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.