Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Ive personally witnessed a cape buffalo killed at 20 yards with a .22 magnum ruger all weather rifle shooting cci 40 grain fmjs.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Of course it was tame in a pasture and we were there to butcher it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Ive personally witnessed a cape buffalo killed at 20 yards with a .22 magnum ruger all weather rifle shooting cci 40 grain fmjs.

Yes...

But that was before the mother had a chance to lick the afterbirth off it... laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
LOL no it dressed around 650 lbs if i remember right. I was a butcher and we specialized in coming to the customers house to slaughter the animals. A very rich fellow decided to raise some exotics for the freezer, bison asian and cape buffalo, elk, pronghorn and numerous antelope i cant recall. My boss shot the two buffalo and i shot the elk and others. That little .22 magnum killed alot of animals. All were with frontal brain shots except the elk as its head slopes it was shot behind the ear.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
.22 mag...the poacher's friend...because it works, or so I hear (no smiley because I don't).

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The .22 magnum is capable of killing anything i ever put a bead on, obviously i wouldnt advocate it for dangerous game. My intent on posting that would be to show that shot placement is key.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I'd slip the .460 into this caliber spread. It is a step up that is noticeable and practical with a trajectory near identical to the .30/06.

Personally, I would use a .338 for most anything with the heavier bullets loaded.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
"They don't value our experience and don't listen to our advice, if it wasn't for the almighty Dollar we wouldn't tolerate them here"

Well...not all of 'em.

In Zim it's legal to hunt lion with a .300.

My .300 is practically an extension of my mind.

I have many one-shot kills with it on things heavier than lion.

My PH said to bring a .375.

So I bought a .375.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
The .22 magnum is capable of killing anything i ever put a bead on, obviously i wouldnt advocate it for dangerous game. My intent on posting that would be to show that shot placement is key.

I understand. I wasn't disagreeing.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
for Aussie Gunwriter:

Yes, the 460 is also a flat-shooting, versatile, take-everything calibre. It's main drawback is the non-control-feed action in the Weatherby models. The 450 Rigby, on the otherhand, comes in the CZ550 with control-feed and should pretty much duplicate Weatherby loads when handloaded. Even better, one can load the newer, lighter 458 bullets for 'reaching out and touching' way down field. Unfortunately, the 450 Rigby is a custom-order job and about triple the price of the 416 Rigby. Which leaves average 'meat hunters' like me with the 416 and 338. With today's bullets the 416 and 338 truly do it all.

When looked at in the other direction, if one has a 416 rigby and wanted another plains rifle as a back up, where should one turn? The 375 is a bit 'same-ol'same-ol' after the 416, often in a heavy rifle model. The 338 can be gotten in very light, inexpensive models, yet packing the punch for non-dangerous game at long range PLUS being able to take a buffalo cleanly with good bullets should the situation arise.
Double plus: last year my son took a nice guinea fowl with a 338wm. The sun was setting, the guinea fowl were out in a meadow pecking at the grass after a rain, and the 338 cleanly dropped the bird without meat damage. Just aim into the upper half over the breast. It's a great confidence builder in a rifle when it's sighted in to do that. So far I haven't used the 416 on guinea fowl, mostly we just used 270 or 222/223 on spurwing geese or guinea fowl when the taste for bird arose, but don't have those rifles anymore where the guinea fowl are. Which reminds me of the Carmichael article I mentioned in a previous post. '3 rifles to hunt the world'. He chose 280, 338, 458 win. I'm not a gunwriter but have pretty close tastes in 270, 338, 416. I think that Jack O'C would smile on such a battery, too. Elmer fans might choose 30-06, 375, 505. I guess I like the 25-50 yards extra range that the 'light battery' has. It's not very significant, though, under 300 yards, which is 95+% of any African hunting. (And yes, a 270 will take a buffalo, but let's not discuss that. If walking around on an antelope hunt where buffaloes and lion roam, one doesn't happily reach down below the 338. At least the 338 or 416 needs to be along. We all have our lines to draw.)

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
PS: Elmer would probably just have a 338 Lapua/RUM/KeithT instead of the 30-06 and 375. then a second rifle in as large a bore as available.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by atkinson
Hatari,...Sometimes the written word indicates misunderstanding I suppose.

i agree. we have enough problems over here in s-africa as i am sure you know. it is a constant fight to make a living and even stay alive . the last thing i want to do is to fight with fellow hunters. maybe we should contribute our strong opinions to the our dedication to hunting.

Last edited by LT_DAN; 04/25/10.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Tanzan
for Aussie Gunwriter:

Yes, the 460 is also a flat-shooting, versatile, take-everything calibre. It's main drawback is the non-control-feed action in the Weatherby models.

I certainly don't want to get into a debate with anyone over the perpetual CRF Vs PF but I will say that a single file (non staggered) magazine feed in my experience is as close to flawless as I have seen. The number of miss feeds and bolt jams I have witnessed from CRF is way into double figures and anything PF is very low single numbers. I have never seen, or experienced, a column feed jam or misfeed. That is not an argument, just my obserbvation over a few lustrums.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
for Aussie Gunwriter:

Yes, the 460 is also a flat-shooting, versatile, take-everything calibre. It's main drawback is the non-control-feed action in the Weatherby models.

I certainly don't want to get into a debate with anyone over the perpetual CRF Vs PF but I will say that a single file (non staggered) magazine feed in my experience is as close to flawless as I have seen. The number of miss feeds and bolt jams I have witnessed from CRF is way into double figures and anything PF is very low single numbers. I have never seen, or experienced, a column feed jam or misfeed. That is not an argument, just my obserbvation over a few lustrums.

JW

Our current 338 is a Tikka with a nice column push feed and has functioned flawlessly when chambering. I hadn't thought much about the 338 feeding because it is a non-dangerous game rifle, most of the time. Taking a bullet out of the chamber and re-setting in the clip requires removing the clip, but that is done during 'down time' when no animals are present.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
for Aussie

If I had a 460 Weatherby//450 Rigby, and I've considered the idea quite pleasant, then I might have thought in terms of a 375HH for plains animals. But those rifles are heavier and more expensive than the 416 + 338 combo. One's starting point of what is already owned influences the perspective.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
for Aussie Gunwriter:

JW

Our current 338 is a Tikka with a nice column push feed and has functioned flawlessly when chambering. I hadn't thought much about the 338 feeding because it is a non-dangerous game rifle, most of the time. Taking a bullet out of the chamber and re-setting in the clip requires removing the clip, but that is done during 'down time' when no animals are present.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you.

those are nice pictures. Great teaching device.

And sometimes when switching languages the right word just doesn't come. It blocks. But we communicated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jwp475; the scene from "Full Metal Jacket" comes to mind... marching around the barracks holding their "guns" in one hand and their "rifles" in the other!!! LOL!!!

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
What I liked was the 416 Remington, I had been told by others that the 458 Lott and 460 G&A are better. I think this is because they hunt in Africa more often. The 416 Remington will also shoot bullets such as the 350-grain Swift A-frame and that is a bit more bear insurance than a 375 H&H, which is also quite adequate for the big bears, as is the 338 and the 300 Winchester magnum. On the big stuff in Africa, the 416 will fair well and unless you are hunting over there often, I think the 416 is ideal, not that the 375 would not do well. It seems outfitters and PH are more comfortable when you know your way around a 416.

Born Pre-War and Proud of it!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
So assuming you had a 416 Rem, (and it shoots the same as the 'cool' loads of 416 rigby, which is to say wonderfully), would your second plains rifle be 338? And coming back full circle to the thread, would you consider a buffalo if the 338/second-plains-rifle were in your hands on the occasion?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.