Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gramps2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Good Afternoon to all,

Looking at buying a Sako 85, probably a Hunter, possibly a Finnlight and putting a McM Edge on it. Not looking to create a Campfire Civil War over the two cartridges, but I would appreciate your knowledge. I have never owned a WSM chambered rifle, but have used and reload for .350 Rem Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. Why one over the other? Should I just flip a coin?

Thanks,
G2

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The critters will never know the difference and in realiztic hunting conditions and ranges you won't either. 300 ain mag ammo can be a bit cheaper at times then the 300 WSM though. Flip a coin if you want but for some reason I would go with the WSM.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd choose the .300WM every time.
Just didn't care for the WSM's I have had and the longer cartridge has more horsepower and greater latitude for seating bullets long.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have had both, kept the WSM because my shoulder could tell it was a little more gentle. However it is still faster than an 06 and in shorter action rifles.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Virtually the same. I think the WM is a better choice if: you prefer a larger (not by much) selection of factory ammo, if you reload (which may be contradictory, but it's easier to seat longer bullets) like a little heavier rifle, a little cheaper factory ammo, want a little more top end.

The WSM is a better choice if you want something a little lighter, a little less recoil, like short actions.

For all practical intents they are equal. The WM may be a touch more accurate. The critters will not know and they are both FABULOUS rounds!! The coin flip is a no lose proposition. My $.02 USD

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have had both and kept the Long Winny. 2 in fact. I can't tell any recoil difference in like rifles. When they're run like for like, the recoil advantage is non-existant. I think you can run a little extra gas behind the Winny over the whizzum and the Winny feeds better to me.

Nothing wrong with the whizzums, but I can't find the love for 'em over the longer versions. Only advantage to be argued is the shorter bolt throw and as far as I'm concerned that advantage is mostly imagined. I still have my 7 Whizzum, but if I were building it again, it would be a long mag. as well.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Haven't shot the WSM much but in a test of two it kicked more than my WM due to a lighter weight rifle. Differences were not that big.

You can get WM ammo in most places in the world that can support a larger sporting goods store, not so with the WSM.

And the WSM is ugly too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I let my .300 WSM go because it was in a CZ Model 3 and was too heavy for a short magnum rifle. It weighed the same as my .300 Wby and more than my .300 WM. However, I like the cartridge and I intend to acquire another .300 WSM in a light rifle--just can't decide whether to do a build or take a chance on a Montana.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I purchased a Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM in Nov '09. I took the gun apart and weighed its components, which is habit on a fresh purchase. This rifle has the new Dura Touch stock and is very nice. The stock weighs 29 ounces. To me that's about 4 ounces close-enough to keep me from paying nearly $600 for an Edge. I would prefer my stocks to be in the 20 ounce range. The Edge is guaranteed to be in the 25-28 ounce range, I think.

The gun is one hole accurate with 2 out of 5 loads developed in varying bullet weights. THe recoil is negligable unless you have sat at the bench running full power 180gr load tests thru it for several hours.

I have mounted the Swarovski 3-10x 42mm atop Talley bases and Q.D. rings. The package weighs 7.2 lbs magazine loaded & ready to hunt.

Wonderful, wonderful shooting iron.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't own a WSM but I have shot one and custom loaded the ammo for another which also entailed shooting the gun.
The first was when I helped a kid (About 23, bu I'm 72 so he's a kid. grin)get his new M70 Classic sighted in. After we got finished getting him set up, ai got to shoot a few targets to get a feel for the rifle. I liked it.
On the one I did the load work up on, I had the gun for a couple of week while I worked up the hunting load my ex-son-in-law wanted to use in his M70 Classic Featherweight. I did like that gun very much and probably would buy one if the price was right although with 4 rifles in .300 Win. mag., I really have no need. Thre are Ruger #1's and the other a Winchester M70 with 26" barrel and it's a real pisscutter. It shoots 200 gr. bullets a hair past 2900 FPS and stays in less than .75" at 100 yards. I think ammo for the .300 win. mag. would be easier to find in out of the way stores than for the WSM but I've never run into that problem. Both rounds are good, but I think that if you want to use bullets in the 200 to 220 gr. range for any reason, the the Winchester magnum would be the way to go. Those bullets would, I'm thinking, intrude too far into the podwer area of a WSM round. Regardless, it's your choice. Both are good.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 300 Winchester Magnum wins hands down in my book. Never quite understood the draw of the WSM - in a rifle of that class of recoil, I want it to weigh about 8 3/4#. The point of the WSMs is weight savings by allowing a shorter magazine.

The WM affords you a bit more steam, especially w/ heavier bullets, is superbly accurate in the several I've owned (currently only have one, and it's tremendous), ammunition is plentiful. I also like the belt, despite the current fad against it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the biggest difference for practical hunting will be how the rifle fits you and your style of hunting. The 300 Win Mag version will probably be fairly long for most hunting purposes other than open country. In open country it will be superior to the WSM, especially with heavier bullets and longer barrel. The 300 WSM version should be more compact and lighter to carry. It will also swing a bit better if you do hunt in situations that require that kind of shooting.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the WSM because I hunt a mixture of timber for elk and plains/canyons for deer. Plenty of zip for my personal 400 yard limit and plenty handy enough for the timber.

Last edited by Dan360; 05/18/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How much shorter is a WSM rifle really?
Given equal length barrels (to get equal ballistic performance) the WSM will be 1/2" shorter and 2 oz's lighter.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably .5"...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gramps2
Good Afternoon to all,

Looking at buying a Sako 85, probably a Hunter, possibly a Finnlight and putting a McM Edge on it. Not looking to create a Campfire Civil War over the two cartridges, but I would appreciate your knowledge. I have never owned a WSM chambered rifle, but have used and reload for .350 Rem Mag and 7mm Rem Mag. Why one over the other? Should I just flip a coin?

Thanks,
G2
..................Gramps2...........Had a 300 Win for 30+ years chambered in a 10 lb + Wby Vanguard with scope. Needless to say, I loved the 300 Win Mag cartridge and still do. However, 3+ years ago, I switched to a 300 WSM because I wanted a lighter and more compact sized OAL rifle n/a in a 300 Win.

As stated in the 49th Edition Lyman Manual under the 300 WSM summary, the 300 WSM averages 30 to 50 fps behind the 300 Win while using 8% to 10% less powder. Both using 24" barrels in Lyman`s data.

So as far as any hunting is concerned and given the same game and shooting distances, neither one will have any advantage over the other. And btw, don`t believe the earlier reports (after the 300 WSM was first intro`d), that heavier 200 gr bullets were losing velocity performances to the 300 Win due to the smaller powder capacity of the 300 WSM case. From a 24" or 26" tube, a 300 WSM can still move a 200 grainer at a MV of 2900 + fps. My personal preference is to have a non-belted cartridge.

Your cartridge decision should boil down to the rifle itself and your individual rifle preferences for weight, feel, rifle length, handling; etc and etc!

Good luck!

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If buying a Sako 85 I would get the WSM. It should come in about a 1/2lb lighter than the Win Mag version.

But then again I'm biased.

Tweedledee(85) and Tweedledum(A7) at the range this afternoon on my way home from work.
The A7 goes 7lbs 7ozs with scope, 3 rounds and sling.
The 85 goes 8lbs 12ozs ready to rip.
Both shoot like fiends. Winchester WSM brass is simply amazing, it is heavy duty long lasting stuff. I'm shooting 175/180's at 2950-3000fps.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have to toss a coin if going with 180 grain or lighter bullets, definately WinMag if going heavier.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have both - 300WM in a Sako m75ss rifle and the 300WSM in a Sako m75 Greywolf. I have had my 300WM since 1997. Love the caliber. I recently sold the 300WSM to a friend in our moose hunting group.

Both great calibers. As mentioned, if you want to shoot larger than 180gr bullets in factory ammo- go 300WM for sure.

As for reloads, my 300WM shoots a bit faster and tighter groups (but who cares for diiference in under 05" groupings) than the 300WSM both in 180gr Accubonds. You will get more powder into the 300WM case. IMO the 180gr bullet is "THE BULLET" for both the 300WM and 300WSM.

If you want a short action, and bit lighter rifle go 300WSM in the Finnlight model.

Cant beat those Sako rifles.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've owned and killed deer and elk with both. i couldn't tell the difference between the two. both are fine cartridges, so the choice would likely be in the rifle itself. if i had to pick one, and was hunting out west most of the time, i'd select the win mag. if i was an eastern deer hunter who went west once every 4 years, i'd select the wsm. ymmv.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nsaqam
How much shorter is a WSM rifle really?
Given equal length barrels (to get equal ballistic performance) the WSM will be 1/2" shorter and 2 oz's lighter.

I guess they do have equal barrel lengths. Seems like 26 inch barrels are more en vogue with most manufacturers with the standard magnums. Bad assumption.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmCreedmoor, artur, Backroads, 260Remguy, 6MMWASP, 10 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,398
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.