Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ummmm, yeah.

Now just get a 130 gr. Partition going 3400 fps to make that happen..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Ummmm, yeah.

Now just get a 130 gr. Partition going 3400 fps to make that happen..

It aint hard if'n you're using a .270 Weatherby.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by brymoore
Originally Posted by djb
Again I'd rather be right on at 100 where 90% of shots take place (often very quickly btw) than 3 inches high.

Where did you find that number? Maybe in Ohio but not out West. In Idaho, I'd say 90% of the shots are over 200 yards.

In my 270 with 130 gr bullets, I'm 3" high at 100 yds, 4" at 200 yards, MPBR around 285, 3" low at 325 and 8" low at 400. 400 yards is about as far as I shoot, so I never have to leave hair when shooting. I own a range finder so I'm never guessing my yardage.

Mr. Moore,

It might be more accurate to state that 90% of shots that hit animals' vitals are taken at a range of 100 yards or less. I've hunted open areas of the West a few times and know that long shots certainly can present themselves, but a couple years ago I bagged a pronghorn buck from around 25 to 30 yards, and a buddy of mine bagged a mulie doe last year from about 40 yards away. I know that's anecdotal, but there are a lot of animals bagged out west from under 100 yards.

Now if you want to quantify total shots fired at game, disregarding whether the shots hit the mark, I'm sure that much more than 10% of shots taken out west are at more than 100 yards, but a good percentage of those miss their mark (not your shots, mind you, but those of Joe Average). Last fall I saw some guys lobbing shots from the road at pronghorns that were over 700 yards away (I'm thankful I was not in their line of fire); as you might imagine, all those shots did were spook the pronghorns my buddy and I were stalking. So technically, a 700+ yard shot presented itself to those guys, but I wouldn't categorize those shots (several of them) as being legitimate hunting shots at game.

Also, with relatively affordable rangefinders and scopes with ballistic reticles (or turrets) available, there isn't nearly as much need for MPBR as there was 20+ years ago. With a .270, one can hold on hair with zeroes for multiple distances out to 500 or 600 yards. One can have a trajectory within about an inch of point of aim out to 200 yards (as far as probably 99% of the public has any business shooting without taking careful read of the wind and distance), and then use the tools available to take a shot beyond that. If someone can instantly get an accurate read of the wind, accurately estimate the distance (for windage calculations), mentally calculate the correct windage, and get ready within a second or two for a shot from a field position out to 325 yards, then I'm certainly impressed with his acquired skills, but those are rare skills indeed. If one uses a rangefinder, then a ballistic reticle or turrets are easy to use.

You can change my quote to most kills I see are over 200 yards if you want to. In fact, I can't remember the last kill I was at that was within 200 yards for Elk, Deer or Antelope. Most are within 250 to 300 yards.

For under 400 yards, MPBR is all you need if you want to keep it simple (I do). After 400 yards, you get into long range shooting which is a different game I'm not interested in. Out to 400 yards, my gun hits where it's pointed, that's all I want.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

For under 400 yards, MPBR is all you need if you want to keep it simple (I do). After 400 yards, you get into long range shooting which is a different game I'm not interested in. Out to 400 yards, my gun hits where it's pointed, that's all I want.

And your right in my opinion..Same as I do.This internet hunting has gone crazy...

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dead nuts on at 100 allows me to thread a needle in the bush, which is almost always under a 100 yards and also allows for a blinker shot far more easily than 3" high. Nothing beats having the bullet go where the crosshairs are planted, a fact that escapes many.

Course I'm not prone to stick it in a chicks belly button cuzz it's going to high for close range work.

3" high at 100 don't help me much here.

[Linked Image]

Seen this pic a few times, been meaning to ask how far away was this critter and did you ever find out if it was a buck or a doe? It reminds me a lot of where I got older (note I didn't say grew up...grin) in Northern Minne where we hunted whitey's in the thick and nasty hardwoods and swamps. Think our close shots were in the 4 yd to 8 yd ranges.

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
It's amazing some people can tie their damn shoes in the morning.

Maybe they just get by with velcro...........

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just a wild azzed guess here, but maybe if a guy sights his rifle in with great care and practices a lot with it at various ranges will have more to do with his ability to hit accurately and qucikly than whether he sights in at 100 yards or 200 yards or 300 yards...? And maybe the guy that shoots with turrets several times a week can work them quicker than someone like me that has never used them and has little mechanical understanding. ( I once threw all my toilet paper away because my new SUV came with a rear wiper)

Fred

Last edited by Royce; 05/19/10.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It doesn't have to be so complicated.

Zero for 200 yards (90% of your hunting shots will be within that distance), you will be about 7" low at 300 yards, and about 19" low at 400 yards.

An equal problem at distance to bullet drop is bullet dispersion (size of spreading groups) and wind drift.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter

And your right in my opinion..Same as I do.This internet hunting has gone crazy...

Jayco

It's good to know that so many people out west can INSTANTLY judge wind well enough to mentally calculate (factoring in angle of the wind to line of fire) whether they need hold 6" or 36" inches of windage (or something else) into the wind on a quick shot at 378 yds (or whatever distance). I'm exaggerating a little, but the difference in windage due to misjudging the wind by merely 5 mph is in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 inches at 400 yards for a .270 Win. with typical 130 gr bullets. That's more than enough to miss the vitals of a deer or pronghorn, even with a sub-moa gun and a sub-moa shooter with a solid shooting position, and one hopes that is a clean miss and not a gut-shot animal.

I know there are people who can very accurately read the wind and do the necessary mental math in an instant, as I'm sure you gentlemen can, but I'm guessing the number of people in that group is very small, even out west. Using MPBR to take a quick shot out past about 200, maybe 250, yds puts a lot of demands on the skills of the shooter, and I dare say there are only a select few who are truly up to the task. Using MPBR out to 400 yds is truly for experts who have shot thousands of rounds of ammo with varying wind conditions and various distances out to their MPBR.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Royce
Just a wild azzed guess here, but maybe if a guy sights his rifle in with great care and practices a lot with it at various ranges will have more to do with his ability to hit accurately and qucikly than whether he sights in at 100 yards or 200 yards or 300 yards...? And maybe the guy that shoots with turrets several times a week can work them quicker than someone like me that has never used them and has little mechanical understanding. ( I once threw all my toiet paper away because my new SUV came with a rear wiper)

Fred

That is spot on except,there are some that want to change others minds and practices,even if they have been successful not doing it there way....

No one is wrong and the Barnes is a good bullet as is the Nosler/Swift..To each his own...

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

Jayco

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mt. Marine,
Sorry, but I would never drag that contraption out on a big game hunt. Varmints and terrorists, yes. This topic has boiled down to two camps, the turret twisters vs. the MPBR gang. I'm going to leave it at that and continue with my habits. No sense getting all worked up. Different strokes to put good meat in the freezer.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It don't really matter to me either, I'm in the don't give a shhitt camp.

Just wanted to illustrate the simplicity in returning to zero.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm in the habit of zeroing my rifles 1.5" high at 100. Just the way I've always done it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Mt. Marine,
Sorry, but I would never drag that contraption out on a big game hunt. Varmints and terrorists, yes. This topic has boiled down to two camps, the turret twisters vs. the MPBR gang. I'm going to leave it at that and continue with my habits. No sense getting all worked up. Different strokes to put good meat in the freezer.

I'm with you I would never ever drag my turreted scope, hell no. I'll certainly carry it. It will certainly get the job done from point blank to waaaaaaaay out there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LateBloomer
How do you folks sight-in your deer rifles for MPBR?

I have a 270W shooting a 130gr pill...My shots won't be longer than 275 yds...my comfort zone laugh

Does a 2.5" zero @ 100 yds sound correct???

I'm only now trying to understand MPBR vs. doing calculations in the field for drop...someone told me just to sight-in like this and I'd be GOOD to GO...At 300yds I was told just hold up a tad higher from center of vitals...

What ya all think???

Take me to school somebody I'd appreciate it laugh

The question of the OP seems pretty direct to me...so simple a child could understand it....he asked simply whether being zeroed 2.5" high at 100 yards would get him to 275 yards, the farthest he intended to shoot.

I don't recall that he asked whether he was doing it "right",or was suffering some level of diminished acumen because he wanted to do it this way,as opposed to how some others do it....

Late Bloomer the answer to your question is "yes", a 270 with 130 gr bullet zeroed 2.5 or so inches high will get you to 275 yards very easily,and you will be slighly low at 300 yards.

Shoot to confirm. You will kill a pile of game zeroed in this manner if you take the time to learn your rifle,and its' trajectory,and work on your field skills.And you will do it at all sorts of distances out to your self-imposed limits,whatever that may be.

I'm continually astonished by how some otherwise intelligent people here feel this compulsion to insult people who do not do things their way,rather than simply pass on the good information and experience they have obtained along the way.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well said Bob.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by LateBloomer
How do you folks sight-in your deer rifles for MPBR?

I have a 270W shooting a 130gr pill...My shots won't be longer than 275 yds...my comfort zone laugh

Does a 2.5" zero @ 100 yds sound correct???

I'm only now trying to understand MPBR vs. doing calculations in the field for drop...someone told me just to sight-in like this and I'd be GOOD to GO...At 300yds I was told just hold up a tad higher from center of vitals...

What ya all think???

Take me to school somebody I'd appreciate it laugh

The question of the OP seems pretty direct to me...so simple a child could understand it....he asked simply whether being zeroed 2.5" high at 100 yards would get him to 275 yards, the farthest he intended to shoot.

I don't recall that he asked whether he was doing it "right",or was suffering some level of diminished acumen because he wanted to do it this way,as opposed to how some others do it....

Late Bloomer the answer to your question is "yes", a 270 with 130 gr bullet zeroed 2.5 or so inches high will get you to 275 yards very easily,and you will be slighly low at 300 yards.

Shoot to confirm. You will kill a pile of game zeroed in this manner if you take the time to learn your rifle,and its' trajectory,and work on your field skills.And you will do it at all sorts of distances out to your self-imposed limits,whatever that may be.

I'm continually astonished by how some otherwise intelligent people here feel this compulsion to insult people who do not do things their way,rather than simply pass on the good information and experience they have obtained along the way.

He asked what do you all think? Pretty open ended question, of course Bob makes smart ass comments and in particular makes guesses about things.

I've seen many times with you Bob if it's not in your familiar old man camp way of doing things you do the typical left hand attacks.

Seems things like this give you a little sense of superiority.

I'm BOB I don't need nothing but a 4x scope and KNOW the best way to sight in. Anything other than the way BOB does it shows a lack of experience.

Just cuzz you generally post "nice: don't make you any less of a pompous prick.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Dead nuts on at 100 allows me to thread a needle in the bush, which is almost always under a 100 yards and also allows for a blinker shot far more easily than 3" high. Nothing beats having the bullet go where the crosshairs are planted, a fact that escapes many.

Course I'm not prone to stick it in a chicks belly button cuzz it's going to high for close range work.

3" high at 100 don't help me much here.

[Linked Image]

Seen this pic a few times, been meaning to ask how far away was this critter and did you ever find out if it was a buck or a doe? It reminds me a lot of where I got older (note I didn't say grew up...grin) in Northern Minne where we hunted whitey's in the thick and nasty hardwoods and swamps. Think our close shots were in the 4 yd to 8 yd ranges.

Thx
Dober

It's a buck, if you look up off to the left side you will see a little bit of ORANGE antler. I'd say distance was 60'ish yards.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I zero my standard-caliber rifles (308 and '06 class trajectory) at 200 yards to take advantage of their flat trajectory. Mid-range trajectory is less than 2-inches high. At 25-50 yards the bullet hits dead center for all practical purposes. That is perfect for close range shooting at game. It is not necessary to zero at 100 yards to thread the needle at close range. Doing so is a definite handicap when the shot comes at 175-250 yards. Both shots are common where I hunt, and I use the same scope setting for both. I have not yet ventured into the realm of turning external adjustments and long range shooting at game. It sounds like great fun but I have just not found the need. The 200 yard zero has proven plenty versatile for me. My freezers (2) get filled every year.

"Different strokes" and all that.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I gleaned alot of info from this thread...some I might of expected and likewise some I did not!

The knowledge on this forum and the desire to help a fellow hunter is great...Thanks! grin

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 74 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.