Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I want to pick up a 22 pistol after shooting my friends old hi standard pistol. What do you guys think regards most accurate, most useful, best value? Primary application is various vermin from snakes to coyote's whilst in the woods moving stands, putting out corn, making food plots and just looking for deer sign. Anyone have the Challenge, it looks nice, the Ruger is a lot less however.

Last edited by jimmyp; 05/22/10.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I, personally, can't stand the feel of the 22/45. The Single-Six, esp. in the convertible .22LR/.22Mag format, is nigh-on impossible to trump, and built like a tank.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the three you mention, I'd take the 22/45. I had a single six and it is a great handgun, but heavy for what it is. Slow to reload, as well. You don't mention the buckmark, but that is the replacement to the challenger and is a very nice piece - I have two of them.

If it's a revolver you want, I'd pick a S&W J frame...

Regards,

Tom
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a convertible single six many moons ago. Its hard to believe that the single six and the 22/45 both weight 32 ounces or so!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
the single six with mag cylinder if auto i always liked the mkII

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go for the Challenger, fit and finish is heads and tails above the others. It is one sweet pistol.

`Bring Enough Gun`
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I can't tell you anything about the Challenger because I have never owned or shot one. However, of the others you named, I would go with the Super Single Six. It was my first pistol and I still love to shoot it and it is as accurate as it needs to be. I've got a 22/45 target model and I just have never been able to warm up to it. I much prefer the Standard, Mark II and III pistols, especially my Standard since it came from Clark Custom Guns.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Everyone should own a Ruger Single Six. At the price for which used specimens sell (below $250 depending on model and condition) there is really no excuse not to. I have seen many spend more on guns that won't last half as long; e.g., SIG Mosquito, Walther P22, etc.

M
M
Ruger Mark 3 hunter with a Ultra dot on it.
10 shots at 15 yds in 1 square inch = awesome.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 22/45 and have put alot of rounds through it, it gets my vote. I like having 20 rounds to fire with the two mags. But I am finding as I get older I want to slow down so I want to buy a single six soon. Can't make a bad choice.
Jon

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark 2 Slabside Gov't, 10 shots in a quarter, 50 yds....

I'd find a MKII SS 5.5 Bull, dropped a 'dog' on the run in college around 60-70 yds on my 3rd shot, high, low, then in the back of the neck/base skull juncture...muddy field allowed me to spot hits. Shot Coons, Squirrels, etc. w it. A Browning is nice, Single Six if you like sixguns and a mag cylinder is a bonus if you are going after larger game. The 22/45 never grew on me, my first pistol was a MKII 5.5 Blue, and the 'Luger' angled grip is what I am used to. The new MKIII w/Lawyer induced changes never warmed me up, and never will.

Comparing LR loads, an auto is going to give you more speed, wheelguns often under 1,000 fps. Trigger better, locktime faster, easier to load, no ejecting empties, nor dirty sticky cylinder holes to keep clean. For a wheel gun the Ruger and Smith have their pros, and old Dan Wesson and Colt's can be sweet, but an auto would be my handsdown choice. I DID own Smith 34, 17, 617, and Ruger Sixgun...they went down the road. Nice guns...but I prefer the Auto.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being an old Single-Six fan, I'd buy that first, then get an auto to go with it!

I've got an old model 3 screw Super Single-Six that would be the last handgun to go...

also own a 4" BB MK11 that I like very well, and had a 22/45, which I just couldn't warm up to.

Once had a Browning BuckMark. Wish I would have kept it. Another nice 22 auto.

Virgil B.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
Mark 2 Slabside Gov't, 10 shots in a quarter, 50 yds....

I'd find a MKII SS 5.5 Bull, dropped a 'dog' on the run in college around 60-70 yds on my 3rd shot, high, low, then in the back of the neck/base skull juncture...muddy field allowed me to spot hits. Shot Coons, Squirrels, etc. w it. A Browning is nice, Single Six if you like sixguns and a mag cylinder is a bonus if you are going after larger game. The 22/45 never grew on me, my first pistol was a MKII 5.5 Blue, and the 'Luger' angled grip is what I am used to. The new MKIII w/Lawyer induced changes never warmed me up, and never will.

Comparing LR loads, an auto is going to give you more speed, wheelguns often under 1,000 fps. Trigger better, locktime faster, easier to load, no ejecting empties, nor dirty sticky cylinder holes to keep clean. For a wheel gun the Ruger and Smith have their pros, and old Dan Wesson and Colt's can be sweet, but an auto would be my handsdown choice. I DID own Smith 34, 17, 617, and Ruger Sixgun...they went down the road. Nice guns...but I prefer the Auto.

I hate to ask but what are the lawyer induced changes in the Mark III? crazy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the 22/45's for easy to shoot accurate pistols and it was one of these that I used to teach my new wife how to shoot a handgun when she was new to this. Wonderful guns. That said, my only remaining 22 handgun is a Ruger single six as I am a big fan of 22 Magnum for actually trying to kill anything and the various 22 magnum autoloaders I have tried starting with several AMT's have been lacking. I will probably buy one of the new 30 shot Kel Tech 22 magnum autoloaders I have seen in the gun rags when they actually hit the streets in my part of the world.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If you are serious about killing stuff with your .22 handgun, especially anything like a coyote, you are far better off with a .22 RF magnum. Therefore, if I could have only one, it would be a SS Convertible. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, the 22 Mag is not just a small step up in power, it is a significant upgrade. Loud from a handgun, though.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I have a - Colt Officers Model Match - A Ruger Single Six - A Ruger Mk III

The Colt is listed only for 'bragging', but the Ruger Single Six and Ruger MkIII are just singularly and incredibly great pistols.

I only (and eventually) purchased the Ruger Mark III in recent months, I don't know why I waited (wasted) so many years before doing so.

I eschewed purchasing a more expensive and fancy target Mk III with, stainless steel, bull-barrel, special sights, fancy stocks, etc ... I just bought the least expensive model, with blued and 'tapered' barrel.

Some time ago, 'Gun Tests' reviewed and tested this plain and basic Ruger model against the "Competition" and the Ruger won out in every catagory including the feel and perfect balance of this model.

I really couldn't pick between a Single Six and a Mk III ...
I may be a bit more accurate with the MK III, but the Single Six is always amazingly-fun and pure pleasure to have and shoot.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One more vote for the Single Six, just because of the Mag. versatility...none of your choices would be bad though... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the mag is loud but it is a significant deal, especially with those little mag shot loads on our long feet-less friends, something to consider for sure.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
The shotloads via the Single-Six are definitive. BT/DT. Shot loads via a LR in a semi-auto, are not so much so. BT/DT. With the shot loads as consideration for snakes, I'd go with the Single-Six convertible, hands down.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (204guy, 1minute, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,917
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.