Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx Fred I did it

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See, what bugs me there is being ~2" high in that 60-yard-ish range. For many if not most hunting situations- no big deal. Point conceded. But I'm setting stuff up to work best for ME and I kill the large majority of my big game in that 40-60 yard window and speaking of windows it's not uncommon to be shooting through one in the brush! Being more or less dead-nuts out to 100 yds keeps it stupidly simple. Which suits me. smile

And not to belabor the point but say I'm taking my '06 or .325 or whatever into more open terrain- which could be as simple as a clear cut or could be Colorado or wherever- all I have to do is unscrew my turret cap and turn the turret 8-10 clicks "up", and now I'm at a 200-yd zero give or take. Simple.

What this requires is a willingness to turn those turrets. What THAT requires is a scope you trust. And what THAT requires is putting the scope through it's paces; I budget about 200 rounds minimum just to get comfy with a scope's RTZ and tracking capabilities, and if that goes well, to shoot at further ranges to verify come-ups.

Hey Bob- which conquests do you have again? The little stock turret on those is completely usable as-is as a low-profile hunting turret. And my half dozen Conq's have all tracked well. If you feel like clickin' and dickin' that'd be a good place to start. Cheap.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff, I have 4X Conquests; MagMarc told me that he has clicked up with the Conquests. I know from zeroing them that they track very well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff O,

Your argument for your method makes a lot of sense, especially when you added the part about the 8-10 click comeups. And I certainly can relate to "stupid simple." wink

Well done.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I thought mathman nailed it early in the thread - the variances caused by group size (shooter/rifle error) and that allowed by MPBR are *additive* and so the usual MPBR story of being safely within the edge of the vitals at max MPBR range doesn't apply - at that edge range you have a 50% chance of being completely out of the vitals because of the added variance caused by group size. Using turrets to recenter the potential group at the center of the vitals would avoid this. It doesn't matter that you aren't shooting the "rest" of that group - the group size is indicative of the probabilities.

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steve of AR
I thought mathman nailed it early in the thread - the variances caused by group size (shooter/rifle error) and that allowed by MPBR are *additive* and so the usual MPBR story of being safely within the edge of the vitals at max MPBR range doesn't apply - at that edge range you have a 50% chance of being completely out of the vitals because of the added variance caused by group size. Using turrets to recenter the potential group at the center of the vitals would avoid this. It doesn't matter that you aren't shooting the "rest" of that group - the group size is indicative of the probabilities.

This is why I do not use a vital zone the size of the actual vitals instead I use say a 2" vital zone radius leaving a little room for shooter error. With a 2" vital zone (4" total) It gets you out to around 300 yards before you have to start spinning turrets.

I run MPBR on my rifles with turrets I mostly hunt open county glassing large clear cuts so it works for me. If I go into the timber or brush I turn it down to a 100 yard zero, but mostly I keep it on MPBR and if I see something farther I spin the turrets from there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jeff, I have 4X Conquests; MagMarc told me that he has clicked up with the Conquests. I know from zeroing them that they track very well.

If memory serves you even have a spare 4x, right? Might have to try and pry that away from you someday <grin>. Anyway pop the cap off the elevation turret and look at the little turret under there. Note that after zeroing the rifle, you can lift it up and align the hash marks to the reference mark. If you do this such that all the has marks are in the "up" direction, it's very intuitive which way to turn it, visually. And it's turning the exact same erector as the bigger "target" turret would.

Furthermore, if you buy a roll of white electrical tape at the hardware store, and an ultrafine Sharpie, and use a dime as a template to cut out a circle in the tape... then it fits right on top of that turret like it was made for it <g>. Now use the sharpie to make marks- I use numbers like "4" for 400 yds- at however many clicks it takes to get to those numbers, and hey looky here, you now have a turret custom- calibrated in yards for your load, for about $4.

The sharpie is waterproof on the tape, and the tape is waterproof. Only downside is, you'll probably hafta buy a multipack of colored tape, and you'll end up with a roll of the blue stuff.... and that is a sure ticket to Turdsville! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by Steve of AR

This is why I do not use a vital zone the size of the actual vitals instead I use say a 2" vital zone radius leaving a little room for shooter error. With a 2" vital zone (4" total) It gets you out to around 300 yards before you have to start spinning turrets.

I run MPBR on my rifles with turrets I mostly hunt open county glassing large clear cuts so it works for me. If I go into the timber or brush I turn it down to a 100 yard zero, but mostly I keep it on MPBR and if I see something farther I spin the turrets from there.

I must suck as a rifle shot..... frown

No acrimony intended ....... grin

........ but I keep reading about all these theoretical reasons telling me why a 3" zero won't work,that I will shoot over them because of my group dispersion(I have rarely been able to shoot a group in an animal),why I can't shoot through windows in the brush,I can't hit "precisely" at distances 250-400 yards,etc etc.

I truly wish I could agree with you guys but as a practical matter I have encountered so few difficulties from 20 feet to 400 yards that I'd have to wrack my brain to come up with them.......I dunno.... confusing to me frown

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nothing wrong with the way you do it Bob I am certainly not trying to persuade you in any way. Just giving my perspective on what I do. Hell the way you do it is the way my Dad taught me growing up I have just adapted to my own way. Different strokes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by heavywalker
This is why I do not use a vital zone the size of the actual vitals instead I use say a 2" vital zone radius leaving a little room for shooter error.

I feel the same and if I were to run a scope using MPBR I'd do the exact same thing. I don't like my bullets hitting too high at the shorter ranges, even though most of the game I take is beyond them.

I guess I'm in the minority here as I don't think I've seen any one mention ballistic reticles (maybe I missed it). It's more natural for me to worry about compensating for bullet drop than to worry about how high I might hit at whatever range I'm shooting. So I prefer to zero like so:

Standard caliber: Zero at 100 yards.
"Magnum" or any flat shooting caliber: Zero at 200 yards.

I Use the "tick marks" to help compensate for drop. No clicking or re-zeroing for different distances. You just need to learn what distances the tick marks really mean for your rifle and load. With a standard caliber I'm good out to 450 to 500 yards and with a flat shooter I'm good out to 575 to 625. I hunt pretty open country more often than not, but that's still more than enough distance for my own needs.

A flat shooter zero'd at 200 puts me about 1.5" high at 100 and a about 1.6" high between 110-130 yards. That's not enough above the line of sight that I feel like I have to worry about compensating for it at any distance.

It's not perfect, but it's worked for me.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have rarely been able to shoot a group in an animal

You keep saying this, but I don't understand it. How does the fact that you're (hopefully) only firing one shot insulate that particular shot from the influences that may prevent it from hitting dead center if it were the first in a group instead?

BTW, I haven't said any particular method will or won't work, does or doesn't work, whatever. I'm just interested in seeing how people account for the size of the envelope their bullets are supposed to travel in.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Bob,
Shot the 270 with with Conquest last night. After twisting it all over the place Sunday afternoon it was dead nutz back to zero last night.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Took this buck a few years ago, shot was 500+..set up, ranged, dialed and drilled him..I even had to remove a the cover off the turret,and gasp, chamber a round!!

[Linked Image]

The reason I started twisting turrets? Tired of missing! takes the guess work out..if its far enough to need to dial in, you have time..If you feel like your missing out by taking a hail mary @ 400+ from your knee, then I guess you wont want to take the 2-3 seconds to dial in..but it sure feels good when you know where the bullets going!

Not saying the guys that are proficient with MPBR are taking pot shot's..but i bet you aren't taking off hand shots @ 350+,and while your getting your rest figured out/set up, dialing in becomes automatic at the same time...just my way.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No Rosco, off hand shots at 350 yards are not part of the agenda....I killed a MD buck at 340 last year;I did not guess,did not miss, and he is dead....arrived from taxidermist this week. smile wink

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
350 yard off hand shots aren't smart.

Last edited by brymoore; 05/27/10.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Or a realy good off hand shot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No Rosco, off hand shots at 350 yards are not part of the agenda....I killed a MD buck at 340 last year;I did not guess,did not miss, and he is dead....arrived from taxidermist this week. smile wink

No, and they aren't for anyone that wants to hit what they're shooting at.My post was not directed at one single person.And I didn't say guys were guessing that utilize MPBR, and are proficient at it. rather to the crowd that thinks they are missing out if they dont get a shot at a fleeing animal at 300+, that is a pot shot at best..in country with that type of open terrain, i'd rather get a rest, range, and usually you will get a chance, it may be at 500+, but to me thats better than an off hand runner @ 300 every time..and i really dont know why I'm explaining what should be incredibly obvious (to me anyway..everyone has their methods)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Dude, you need to post a pic!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ya Bob, post it up! I'd love to see it, you have an impressive muley herd there on your wall!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rosco: Sorry....I thought you were talking to me....such are the tribulations of the Internet. grin

On the mule deer, he was shipped to a buddy's house(they shipped our two deer together),so I gotta pick it up but I will photo and post it ASAP.

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 50 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,405
Posts18,470,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.