-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed on black bears. I've got a 7+ footer on the wall, and the skull makes B&C. I don't much like bear meat. All is why I have little desire to shoot more bears, although it means I have to forego the hero pics. Unless I find a 7 foot brown or cinnamon, I don't expect to ever shoot another blackie.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
GB1

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JohnMoses,

As to the age of black bears in the wild, a good friend of mine killed a 29-year-old sow in Alberta some years ago.

I was reading a NY state DEC publication on the black bear in NY. They noted that the oldest bear aged in NY was 42 years of age.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I need to get some of you guys on my Xmas card list! I've got the hankerin' to shoot a bruin... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Pointer I'm thinking of putting this one on my Christmas card for this year...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer �

The data you refer to is the very reason I have a pound of Hybrid 100V in the loading room. Like you, I�ve not had a chance to try it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just let me know when you need my address. wink

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
MD, you've broken my heart ! I went to a .25-284 in a custom rifle simply so I could reach those magic numbers with those special, magic bullets......
Now I wish I'd done a Bob. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Harry Hodgdon called me last Friday and said it was a misprint. Revision in the works. whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I could go the rest of my life and never shoot another, but I'd hate to never hunt them again.

I feel the same about everything I've hunted. Thanks for the bear stuff. I've hunted bears exactly 2 times. Both in Ontario and both over bait. I've yet to connect on a really big bear (my best was a 150lb bear, I was 14 at the time so it's a special memory for me).

Friend of mine scored a bear tag this year in WI. That should help me get over wanting to do another bear hunt. (not likely)

Me

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Karnis,

That Harry. He's always a little late with his "revisions"....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eremicus
MD, you've broken my heart !

Now I wish I'd done Bob. E

Something doesn't sound right there E.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Interesting. The island I hunted I NEVER saw anything but black nor ever heard of anything but black.

That said, the majority of bears I shot did have the white chest chevron.

Weird... I just had this conversation with a millwright at work. He and I always get into Bears in NW Montana in the Spring and Fall. The country I hunt, I'm going to say 2/3rds are color phase, and the third that are straight up East Coast jet black, textbook Black Bears are sows with cubs.

When BGG and Deflave rolled into town, one of the first things I told them was "don't look at the colors, look at the features" Sure enough, the one they let skamper off was a Neopolotin, Faux Griz... I've had it happen to myself as well... A year ago today, I let the biggest blonde topped, cinnimon bear I've ever seen walk on by. I was positive it was a griz, until he turned broadside and walked out of my life forever

I'm pretty sure that my neck of the woods is why Montana started the Bear ID test....

Its worth mentioning, that I HAVE seen color phase Grizzlies too [WTF?]

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My impression is that in drier areas you get more variety in bear colours. Wet areas tend to straight black.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I suspect it has more to do with the gene pool in a particular area than climate. Around our place (pretty darn dry)the black bears are black. Black enough that I was going to assault the one in my yard one night with a Loisville Slugger in the mistaken belief it was a black angus cow (after making a positive ID, I retreated and left it up to the dogs)! Along the divide, just to the east, most are black but a lot have the white "V" on the chest. When we lived up the North Thompson, it seemed like close to a third were brown. I'll have to ask Lay what he thinks. He's shot more bears than most of us have seen and over a large and varied geographic area so may have a theory.
On the high speed 257 Roberts. I've always thought it made little sense that a 6mm Remington could do 3150 or better with a 100 grain bullet while the 257 Roberts was limited to 3000 at best. Like wise, if I can push 120's to 3000 from my 6.5x55 ( and I can), it's logical to think the 257 would come close to the same. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer..are you sure you have not conspired with the powder and bullet companies for kick-backs..??
I went to Cabelas this morning to buy shorts,sandals and a big hat....
came home with two boxes of bullets,RL-17,HV100 and another .22!! oh and the shorts don't fit!!
This is getting out of hand....LMAO

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
For JB or any one else that can give a satisfactory answer...

Is my 722 considered a modern and stout enough action to load "+P" pressures? Or is it rifles like it that caused ammo manufactures to hesitate loading the Bob to its potential for all those years?

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Your 722 is strong enough to load whatever you want. It is every bit as strong as a 700. GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's impressive. And I've been kicking around the idea of re-barreling my unused 7-08 to a 257 bob. Those were the velocities I was getting from my 25-06 years ago with a 120 gr.

Last edited by brinky72; 06/07/10.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned and shot the 257 Rbts for nearly 30 years now. One of my best friends and hunting buddies had several 6.5x55's (Rest his soul)

I have shot more game with 117g bullets from the Rbts then all others. Reason is simple. The 117g were the MOST accurate bullets for my rifles. The powder was H4831 and Vel was around 2650 fps.

My longest shot on Big game of any type (this case a whitetail) was with this load. I found out long ago speed is of no use if you can not place it where you want it. It was at apx 215 yrds and a neck shoot as the deer where in tall grass hiding the body area.

My hunting partner made shots like I did and I could not really tell any difference between the Sweede and Roberts in the field. Both shot very accurately and both put the animals down. We both hunted Black bear with them and each of us were lucky enough to each get a bear, different years and times though. Both the Sweede and Roberts did full penetration on blackies, but neither of us did shoulder shots but rather both were low rib shoots and both left good blood trails. Both the Sweede and Roberts are easy on the shoulder and if you reload, easy on the budget as well. The real difference between the two is the twist, and as a rule the Sweede favors higher SD bullets and the Roberts does well with lower SD bullets. Yet in the middle ground of bullets (100 to 120 grains) they seem to be like peas in a pod.

Good to know that the modern and newer powders are adding even more to both of these wonderful rounds, and the premium bullets as well. If you have either, I would suggest go forth and shot and enjoy, be it paper or game or vermin. Both are great fun and effective and easy to use.

..pick..
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 14,370 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,221
Posts18,543,833
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.