-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take the one that's most accurate. As was mentioned, sheep aren't difficult to put down when hit properly. My favorite rifle for all of Alaska except for moose & brownies is my pre-64 mod. 70, .270 Win loaded down with 150 gr. Partitions. Yes!! I'd use it on a grizzly too but I have a lot of confidence with that rifle. My only other comment is to [bleep] those humongeous scopes. A 2-7x Leupold is all you need for a scope and as was mentioned, we have long days during the Aug. sheep season so light gathering ability is pointless. Whatever you choose, practice a lot to improve your confidence. Also, when hunting in open country, I carry my rifle strapped down on my packboard with quick release straps. This allows me to use a walking stick. I can assure you that I can take my pack off and retreive my rifle extremely fast should the need arise.
The above is just what I've found that works for me over the years. Good luck on your trip - it'll be a very memorable one regardless of the final outcome. Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bear
A 2-7x Leupold is all you need for a scope...

Now you've gone and done it. Art's gonna come out of his den growling like a griz that's been awakened by someone checking the den with firecrackers! laugh

I like the 2-7 Loopy, my own damn self.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, the 2-7x is not all that horrible as variables go... I mean if you are that deficient, and have to have a variable, the 2-7x is not bad... It is the 2-7xCompact Leupold that rates with Burris... and to blatantly steal from steelhead... the reason god made iron sights...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Grrrr........

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Man's got a memory, eh? grins

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love and confidence should define your pick - if you have both of those commodities in higher measure in one of those rifles, pick it and don't look back. All will get the job done; the best is not based on logic - it's in your heart.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Late to the party but you made a good choice.

A 7mm-08 in a kimber is an awesome sheepgun.
However, Lets say its on the last day and the big kahuna is getting ready to spook at 500 yards. You can take the weatherby and if you are practiced with it you can let it rock.

It would be less for the bears but for that situation where you just have to go to the max.

Best of luck,

Thomas

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I am also late, and will make a really unpopular choice, the 7x65R.

This is not so much because of the cartridge (though it is a very fine choice for such game) but because you obviously have a lot of confidence in it, and the fact that it can go in a backpack. This isn't commonly done in the U.S. as it is in Europe, but it is a very handy way to get up mountains, much handier (in my experience) than carrying a lighter rifle over your shoulder. I have used my Merkel K-1 in that way and really like it.

But of course you have already decided on the 7mm-08, another excellent choice.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MD
Carrying the rifle in an external carrier on the pack has the dual advantages of working with any rifle and not taking up space inside the pack.

The big disadvantage is it does not take up room inside the pack which allows more crap to be carried... wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
GreBb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Muledeer,
The K95 is the gun I like the most and the one I feel the most confident with.
Carrying inside the backpack makes it, for me, much easier to carry in and out of the ountains.
The problem seems to be that while hunting in Alaska the rifle has to be at hand at all times should the unexpected happen.
Anyway, I had decided on the rifles Inc in 300WBY because it is the lightest gun of all.
BBerg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The rifle does NOT have to be in your hands all the time. The chances of needing it that quickly are very slim. CHeck to see if your guide will be carrying a gun also. The requirement for them to carry was dropped a few years back (or maybe a little longer) and many sheep guides do not carry a rifle.

I would not hesitate to carry in a pack for the early going, especially.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BBerg
Muledeer,
The problem seems to be that while hunting in Alaska the rifle has to be at hand at all times should the unexpected happen.
Anyway, I had decided on the rifles Inc in 300WBY because it is the lightest gun of all.
BBerg

BBerg:
Read my lips, er post!!!!!! Use 2 quick release nylon straps to tie your rifle across your packboard. 1 over & around the forearm the second over & around the pistol grip. Believe me, taking your pack off and retreiving your rifle is very fast. BTDT. You will be in open country and will want both hands free to use a walking stick. For a walking stick, cut a willow branch after you get in the field. Don't go making a mountain out of a mole hill. Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 04/20/09.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Art's correct, the 2x7 compact won't get er done, if it doesn't shake loose before you get there, it'll leave you blind in one eye and unable to see out the other.

course there's nada wrong with giving mr. Dall a sporting chance, I may take a broken bow this year. (grin)

even with substandard equipment though a guy can get lucky

have seen a few sheep fall to the use of pastin crosshairs via 2x7 compact, oddity perhaps, but I saw it, sometimes thru the view of said scope

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The rifle does NOT have to be in your hands all the time. The chances of needing it that quickly are very slim. CHeck to see if your guide will be carrying a gun also. The requirement for them to carry was dropped a few years back (or maybe a little longer) and many sheep guides do not carry a rifle.

I would not hesitate to carry in a pack for the early going, especially.

You haven't hunted with my wife.... we had to backtrack over a mile to find that rifle....

It's not been over a half mile if I make her carry it in her hands...

Now, those Safeway bags hanging off all corners - she never loses one of them.

She drives me crazy.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
GreBb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BBerg
... my 300WBY Rifles Inc. will be the lightest gun of all when I put it's Vari X III 3,5-10x40 back on, and it is the gun I will be taking...

BBerg

Time flies bye and in one month I will be bound for the Brooks Range. I have been training hard all these months and I have been shooting my Rifles Inc. once a week from the bench. And once a week from field positions, too, and either lying down with the rifle resting on top of my pack, or sitting down with my elbows against my knees I regularly put three shots inside a four inch circle at 250yds.

I have put a lot of effort and it is with great anticipation that I am looking forward to my hunt. I really, really hope I find the Dall Sheep the Brooks is keeping for me but whether that happens, or not, I will try to enjoy every minute there, come rain or wind or...

I will let you know how it went.

BBerg

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You should keep shooting but now you should be packing weight up and down soccer stadium steps or up stairs. Packing and breaking in your boots should be a primary concern. PS. double check all of your gear and remember to take a five lb(silnylon) dry bag of dehydrated MH, tea bags, and power bars. This is your secret stash if stuff happens. I would also take some tyvek painters overalls from a department. Mark my words.

Make sure that you itemize everything that you have and ask the guide what you will be using for tents, food, water and etc. Your prep now will be a major impact on the success of your hunt and your happiness. I know that this is not your first rodeo but many are watching your experience and I thought you should get a final rundown on little stuff.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My vote goes with the 7-08 as well. Might swap out the scope for a straight 6X, tho., if one is paranoid about weight, etc. Me, I'd take as is... But any of those listed will do- go with the one I'm happiest with...

Killed my first Dall ram at 50 feet with a .243 and 4X scope. He didn't know the difference....one with a .270 at 35 yards, a couple with an '06 out to 150 yards, one at about 330, also withan 'O6, with a 17 inch barrel!

The rifle/caliber really doesn't count for all that much on sheep assuming it is an accurate combo....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Luck up there!! Let us know how you do..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
GreBb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Kaboku, I am not sure what a tyvek painters overall is...
BBerg

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I find it a bit amusing when people use the hpothesis of a certain weapon would be "better in the wind". The truth of the matter is that all bullets are affected by the wind. In truth you must know how much regardless of the cartridge. You must properly adjust for the wind. Lets say that you are shooting and a 7-08 would drift 12" in the wind, while the 300 wby would drift 8". Either round would drift enough to miss or wound an animal. you must account for the drift in either weapon. In the end shoot the weapon you fell most comfortable with. spend the time to learn the ballistics and wind drift on that rifle. I make a cheat sheet for my rifles with bullet drop and wind drift at ranges from 200-500 yards. The wind drift is based on a 90 degree crosswind at 10 and 20 MPH. Then practice "doping" wind. Less than 90 degrees = less drift, less wind speed = less etc. The point is you must learn your weapon.

My vote would be for the Kimber.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 11 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.