Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ou76,
Simply outstanding! Thanks for sharing your pics. What did you come to trust in caliber and bullet combinations?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have taken all 3 species of NA Elk...2 Tule using my 270, 2 Roosevelts with my 300 Weatherby and 6 Rocky Mountains...2 each with the 300 Weatherby, 270 and 30-06....I shot my 1st Whitetail at 12 with a 30-30...since I have used the 270, 30-06 , 264 and 300 Weatherby for Whitails from South Texas to Canada in all I have been lucky enough to take some 35 Whitetails...I have not hunted much Mule Deer..killing 6 here in the Texas Panhandle ..4 with my 270 and 2 with my 30-06...I shot both my Couces Deer in Arizona using my 264...Blacktails in California and Oregon using my 270, Skita Blacktails in Alaska using my 375 as we were on a Kodiak Bear hunt...I really like Moose hunting...I have been lucky enough to take a total of 9 so far and have drawn a Shiras tag in Wyoming this year after 12 years of applying...I like my 300 Weatherby for Moose but have killed 2 Moose with my 270 and 2 with my 30-06...the rest with my 300 Weatherby using 200 grain Noslers, BBC or Swift A Frames...All 10 of my Caribou have been laid to rest with my 270...

from an above post of ou76. Some info already in there.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thanks...I began using the 270 as a kid in Oklahoma in 1962...at that time I had no idea who Jack O'Connor was.. once I began to read his info in Peterson Hunting I began to play around with handloading....my pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight shot the 130 Nosler at 100 yards to 1 inch groups using H4831 so I settled on that load and have never changed it...

My first trip to Alaska was 1984 for a Moose/Grizzly combo in the Alaska Range... I used a 338...I picked the wrong bullet for Grizzly..210 Nosler (BobHagel's favorite) and after that trip I switched to the 375 for bears using the 275 Bitterroot bullets.....had I used the 250 Nosler I may never had switched to the 375....but, it is interesting to note on 18 of my 23 NA bear hunts the guides have all carried 375 H&H as backups...
In my Pre-64 Model 70 my 375 H&H likes WW 760 for the Bitterroot and 4064 for the 250 Swift A Frame......

I got my German Mark V in 300 Weatherby, Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 and Model 788 in 223 in the 1970s...in my 30-06 I used H205 when it was available I now use RL19. In 300 Weatherby I use H870...and in my 223 I have used WW 748 and now use Benchmark...

I have played around with a lot of calibers the 22-250, 264, 257 Weatherby, 338 and 340 Weatherby...and these are all good calibers for NA and while the 264 and 257 Weatherby with 26 inch bbls may be flatter on paper I still prefer my 270 in the game fields...and no doubt Bob Hagel preferred the 340 Weatherby with the 210 Nosler as an all around (but Bob used the 250 Bitterroot when he went Brown Bear/ Grizzly hunting in Alaska) ...Elmer Keith liked the the 338s...but for me I like the combos as opposed to an all around..that way I can have more rifles!!

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
You bet Bob Speegle is one of kind...I know him as he is in our Dallas Safari Club...and is chairman of the Dallas Safari Club's Outstanding Hunter Award committee...and yes Bob took the NA 30 and NA 29... 2 times...once with his rifle ..the NA 30..and once with his bow...the NA 29..Bob is also a Weatherby Award winner, OVIS award winner...OVIS Super Slammer, ISHA Super Slammer just to name a few...I doubt in my lifetime there will ever be another hunter to do what Bob has accomplished..

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Boone & Crockett recognizes 29 NA Game animals...It was 31 prior to Walrus and Jaugar being excluded...at one time it was 27...then Central Barren Caribou was added making 28 and then Tule Elk to make the current 29...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple more pictures

03 Grizzly
[Linked Image]

09 Black bear
[Linked Image]

"I took this picture in 2007 during a Moose hunt...in the area I was hunting the outfitter did not have a Grizzly tag for a nonresident...this is a 9 1/2 foot plus Grizzly....as far as I know he is still roaming the TAKU River in British Columbia!!"

[Linked Image]

Again, Thanks for sharing these pictures with us ou76

I can't spell... Deal with it...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BBBBBBig BBBBBEAR!

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
another

Grand slam
[Linked Image]

I'm thinking ou76 should be eligible for some sort of lifetime achievement award

very rare to see a collection like that. Congratulations and I look forward to reading your stories.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thanks but I am not in the same class as folks like Dr.Bob Speegle....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know about that! you have some very impressive animals and i know for a fact that those sheep didn't come easy! nor the Big bears!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, those are some impressive animals!! Congrats to you ou76, and welcome to the 'Fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wow what a great thread, thank you for joining the 'fire and big Paul, thank you for posting his pics.

this is good, really good, you have certainly taken some fine specimens sir

I'd ask you to adopt me, but you ain't gonna have a plug nickel left after alla that hunting, and that's as it should be! (grin)

tks again for sharing your experiences with us, and I'm sure I speak for others, it'd be cool if you have the time and inclination to give us a more detailed hunt report concerning some of your trophies. It can take you weeks, months or years depending on your available time, I know I'd read them.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thanks...I am glad to be part of the 'Fire family!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ou76,
You might want to sit down with a computer and start recounting all those hunts. Put in between two hard covers and find a publisher or self publish. There has to be a wealth of good reading to enjoy.
Thanks for the rifle/caliber info.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
HA!! JY Jones wrote an excellent book about his NA hunts..."One Man, One Rifle, One Land"..JY took a Model 700 ADL in 30-06 using 165 Noslers and 200 Noslers and shot all of NA game animals under SCI classification "Trophy animals of North America".. which is basically the NA 29 with SCI sub species included along with Wolf, Alligator, Jaguar (darted in Mexico) and Walrus, ..unlike some of these other guys...JY is a writer that has actually done it in the game fields...He and I crossed paths on several NA hunts...it is a great book..very thick..558 pages..with lots of color pictures, details of the hunt and interesting comments regarding the species, area he hunted and the cultures and etc..it is published by Safari Press..JY sent me an autographed copy a few years back...but as far as his choice of rifle for Grizzly, Alaska Brown Bear and Polar Bear..
well I will stick to my 375 H&H with 275 Bitterroots!!!

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
To shed some light on the North American 29 as defined by Boone & Crockett and Safari Club International there are some minor differences in the species...so here we go:

Boone and Crockett currently recognizes the following North American game animals in the Boone & Crockett record book..ie..the North American 29...

Antelope
Bison
Mountain Goat
Cougar
Muskox
Dall Sheep
Bighorn Sheep
Stone Sheep
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Mule Deer
Whitetail Deer
Coues Deer
Columbia Blacktail Deer
Skita Blacktail Deer
Mountain Caribou
Wooland Caribou
Quebec Caribou
Barren Ground Caribou
Central Barren Ground Caribou
Canada Moose
Alaska Yukon Moose
Shiras Moose (USA only)
Black Bear
Grizzly Bear
Alaska Brown Bear
Polar Bear
Rocky Mouontain Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk

to the above list SCI adds 6 species...Wolf, Arctic Caribou., California Bighorn, Eastern Canada Moose, Alligator and Coastal Black Bear...SCI produced DNA that the California Bighorn, Coastal Black Bear, Arctic Caribou and Eastern Canada Moose were seperate subspecies and thus were aded to the record book....in order to complete the NA 29 for SCI's " Grand Slam of NA 29" one can pick 29 of SCI's list as long as 4 species of sheep are included... Boone and Crockett refuses to accept the DNA of SCI and does not consider the Wolf or Alligator as a North American game animal...Boone and Crockett also does not count the Alberta Shiras Moose...ie..SW Alberta across the Montana border as a Shiras Moose....SCI does...JY Jones completed all of the above per SCI list using his old 30-06!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for sharing those magnificent photos.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Thanks and will try and add more later..bears and sheep have been to me what elk and deer are to others...can't get enough...going for bear #20 this Fall and Moose # 10 in Alaska....and I am glad to be part of the'Fire family

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me there's two types of hunters. Sheep hunters and everybody else...so I understand! wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ou76 (does that mean you're a Sooner, graduated in '76?),
Those were some magnificent animals! Dr. Jones lives just down the Interstate from me and I've always wanted to meet him. I really admire you guys that get out there and get it done. I, too have done some hunting in NA (certainly not in your league), but have decided that my interests, with my budget, are best served with sheep and goat hunts for now, but who knows what the future holds. Some of the most fun times for me on these hunts is to meet folks like you that have stories to tell.
I was just thinking that when ObamaCare blooms fully, maybe I'll move from Georgia to a place where the sheep actually live, so I can keep doing it. Just gotta get that last daughter through College!
Cheers,
Don

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,782
Posts18,515,759
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.