Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
D
Did we discuss the best load for the 180 grain Hornady spire point?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JB-

I have a question about TSX bullets. In the Africa forum JJHack talked about the 165 grain TSX at 2900 fps giving superior performance to the 180 TSX in the 30-06. His observation was that the 165 gave plenty of penetration and the increased velocity resulted in a bigger hole and more tissue/organ damage.

What are your thoughts on this assuming that the load is being used for elk or similar sized animals? What about for deer sized animals?

Also, I'd like to say that I have really enjoyed your writing over the years. I subscribed to "Rifle" for many years and your in-depth articles were always the highlight for me. Unfortunately, the magazine has gone downhill since your departure.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to all the questions in this forum!

bowmanh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bowmanh,

I agree completely with JJHack. Generally more velocity is better with TSX's, and penetration will be plenty with a 165.

You might be interested in to know I am writing for Rifle and Handloader again. My first article just appeared in HL, and I'll have a feature in every issue.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Good to hear MD. I'll be looking for it. E

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JB-

That's good news. I will be looking for it.

Rich

IC B2

A
A
JB-

Terrific news. Also looking forward, as always, to anything you write.

A couple of years ago we were in Helena doing research next to the Capitol building. Just had to go stand on those steps. If I remember correctly, somewhere you'd recounted an event there. It involved a .25-35 WCF, a coyote at maybe a half-mile, a gentleman with a large hat, strong opinions, and a cigar. He "whittled away" at the coyote and allowed as how the cartridge was decent for varmints. (1920s?)

(By the way , Capitol Sports didn't have in stock any Model 94's in that caliber. Still, I managed to drop a few bucks there.}

I need to find the original source so I can quote and credit you correctly. Also a link to "John Barsness's latest exclusive column, "GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR .30-06,"

(Forum readers: I'm sure JB is a very busy fellow, so anyone is welcome to post links to these two sources. Thanks!)

--All the best to you both from my wife and me, and our Montana relatives N. of Kalispell.

"The more I learn, the less I know I know."

"The more I learn, the less I know I know." - unoriginal, but true
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bowmanh,

I agree completely with JJHack. Generally more velocity is better with TSX's, and penetration will be plenty with a 165.

You might be interested in to know I am writing for Rifle and Handloader again. My first article just appeared in HL, and I'll have a feature in every issue.

Yippee. There a ton of writers who think they know the '06. You are about the only one I can read without wondering if these yokels have even one decade of first hand technical knowledge.

Wayne

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
bowmanh,

That is the reason I just subscribed.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you really want to read a BAD book on the 30-06, read "the 30-06" by Bob Shell. It costs $15 and comes with typos, misspellings, grammatical errors and factual errors. It is self- published by a vanity press, so I can't blame the publisher. Poorest $15 I spent on a long time.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
J.B.

Your memory serves you well on the 200 Partition in the '06 with 4831. In Northwestern Montana and the Panhandle in the 50s and 60s the 200 Semi Spitzer and a case full of 4831 was the load of choice when hunting big bulls in the dark tangles.

Is the heavy TSX in 30-06 the equal? Hard to beat the momentum and bone crushing power of the 200 Partition for up close.

Older than dirt.

Wayne

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't done any penetration testing with the heavier TSX's next to 200 Partitions, but have with some other diameters and weights of both brands. TSX's will normally out-penetrate Partitions of the same weight and diameter, but the difference usually isn't much, and in some bullets almost nothing. Since I have never had any problems with penetration on any game with the 200-grain Partition, generally I haven't worried about it all that much.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a used Browning BAR 30-06 Belgium made rifle for $425 and while sighting in discovered that the bolt does not close all the way on firing. It seems to be very accurate so I took the fore stock off to see if there was dirt causing the problem. There seems to be a bushing on the spring shaft that has detiorated and some dirt and rust around the bolt. Does the spring weaken over time? Also does anyone know the best loads for this gun? I used 150 gr FMJ for sightin. The numbers are 69611 M9 on the barrel does anyone know the age of this rifle?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I haven't done any penetration testing with the heavier TSX's next to 200 Partitions, but have with some other diameters and weights of both brands. TSX's will normally out-penetrate Partitions of the same weight and diameter, but the difference usually isn't much, and in some bullets almost nothing. Since I have never had any problems with penetration on any game with the 200-grain Partition, generally I haven't worried about it all that much.

JB - re your last sentence - I'm shocked!

Let's see if I read this correctly.

Are you telling us that if something works well and is successful, you don't just change to something else just for the heck of it?

Or, did I read it wrong?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pretty radical, huh?

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I just signed up...how can I find this article from a few months ago?

thanks

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You probably can't. Send me a private message with your regular e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You might be interested in to know I am writing for Rifle and Handloader again.

I'm glad to hear that JB..........I'll start reading again.

MM

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by leverite2
I just signed up...how can I find this article from a few months ago?

thanks

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/

I think it was may of 09 on the link

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

E
E
First post; just wanted to say thanks for all the info on the old 06, I just aquired a nice Remington 30 Express Special and will start loading for it once I have had the pleasure of emptying enough cases.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nice rifle!

John Steinbeck
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (16gage, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,955
Posts18,519,375
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.