Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
I believe the Marlin prototype in .250 Savage was a
Model 336 lever action.
336 250-3000 Look close and you can see that it has spiral magazine to allow the use of pointed bullets.

Gene
GB1

J
johno Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Come on Boltman, waiting, waiting, waiting

Johno

Last edited by johno; 07/28/10.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks Gene. Interesting rifle. I'm thinking of a prototype clip fed pump action Marlin. By the way Gene, any luck finding a Standard Arms .50 caliber camp carbine?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by johno
Come on Boltman, waiting, waiting, waiting

Johno

Sorry Johno - lots' going on here. But, I got the pictures taken today - I'll try to get them posted tomorrow. I'm glad someone is eager to see them wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
I often wished that someone would once more do the story on Bill Ruger taking a 99 Savage in 250 and making an auto. carbine out of it, when he was young. If I remember correctly, he said the 99 should have never been a lever-action. But either a pump or automatic. I love the way Ruger went back to a rifle that looked much like the 99. Any info on this story?? Haven't seen it in years.Thanks.

An old thread on it.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2704331

Here's the pic of Ruger's converted 99 as posted by elwood.

[Linked Image]

Here's an article on it also.

http://www.nrablog.com/post/2010/02/04/Join-NRA-National-Firearms-Museum-Feb-12.aspx

The Beginning of the Ruger Legend

Responsible for manufacturing millions of rifles, pistols, revolvers, and shotguns; William B. Ruger's American arms empire began with just one gun.In 1942, as the United States began to gear up its industrial might for the Second World War, a young Bill Ruger knocked on the door of Springfield Armory in Massachusetts. In one hand, he held a modified rifle that he hoped would show his engineering skills, perhaps enough to land a position with the work force.

The rifle had been a Savage Model 99 lever-action rifle, chambered for the .250-3000 cartridge, but Bill Ruger had made some changes. Instead of remaining a manually operated lever-action, the rifle was converted to semi-automatic operation. The conversion utilized the original receiver and barrel assemblies, and the few modified components were easily installed. Ruger noted that the review committee felt the rifle design was the best portfolio he could have brought, although he personally felt the design lacked elegance. Ruger was immediately hired as an arms designer for the US Army, a job that transformed the young engineer. In the postwar years, this experience gave Ruger the foundation to design an innovative line of handguns, and later rifles that launched one of the largest American arms corporations today.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks a million for all the effort you put in to finding that info for me. I've kicked myself a thousand times for getting rid of the magazine the article was in . It showed the gun taken apart and his story of how he built it. Thanks again!!

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
J
johno Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Rory
Thanks so much for the article, this has been an interesting journey. Looking forward to Boltmans pics tomorrow.

Was there only the one proto type semi auto made? Looking at that pic i'm sure he could have made a pump action also

Johno

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So, no one has the information on the Marlin clip-fed .250 pump? I seem to recall it sold on auction a while back. Anyway Johno, I'm downloading pictures this morning. Here's the Colt .40/60 pump. Certainly not as sleek and petite as a Savage 1899 but it has a nice beast-like quality to it:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johno - the above rifle has a 28 inch octagon barrel. Holds quite a few more ca'tridges than a '99 wink Let me know when you are ready for more (I photographed two other rifles when I had the camera out yesterday).

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The Standard Auto did come in 25 Rem, it was sort of a pump action or gas as the spirit moved one. I have it in the 25 Rem and a pump only in 35 Rem

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Hey All: Just got a notice from James Julia Auctions, Oct.5-6,2010. Didn't see any 99's, but they are having from the late Richard Rahal Collection of Marlins, .250 Sav. pump. Also a M3000 lever in .250 Sav. I won't be going, too-o-o deep for me.

... 99 LL ...

J
johno Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I guess the Colt would be rather barrel heavy on an off hand shot, to my eye the carbines look nicer. Beautifull rifle though. What else ya got?

99 LL is there an internet catalogue on that auctio, all I get to do down here is drool over the stuff at your auctions

Not sure if we have an FFL here, maybe George. If we do and you have time, can you look at the export of relic/currio. I believe anything over 50 years old, I am told this gets past the $250.00 State Dept licence fee for modern rifles. There is still a fee but cheaper, if anyone knows an exporter i'd appreciate the info

Its for all those Ts in 22 h.p. ive got hidden away over there

Johno

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johno - the Colt Large Frame Express rifle does feel a bit heavy to get off a quick offhand shot but maybe back when men were men it wasn't an issue? I see that reference has occurred again to Standard Arms so here is a .35 Remington I have. I've had it to the range many times and five shots quick is an enjoyable experience with it. I did cut my head open with it once - it shoots brass straight up and bounced an empty case off the roof over the benches - the sharp end of the case mouth cut the top of my head. I survived of course. Now, I always wear a hat when I shoot it wink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2...20remington/StandardArms35022cropped.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2...20remington/StandardArms35017cropped.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2...20remington/StandardArms35016cropped.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2...20remington/StandardArms35012cropped.jpg[/img]

Last edited by boltman; 07/29/10.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Here's a few more shots of the Standard Arms .35 Remington:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by boltman; 07/29/10.

J
johno Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Gee got lot of finish of mate, great carving. We were talking over, some pretty experienced fellas and the 35 rem is very scarce. Thatreally is nice one.

If you have time have a look at 141s in 35rem on guns international, tell which you think would be the pick of the crop. Little more pricey than I thought but its an international site so that may explain it.

Johno

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Johno:

Check out gunbroker.com. There are several listed there. The 14's and the 141's in 35 Rem are still fairly common.

I think they (35 Rems) bring a higher price than the other calibers because 35 Rem ammo in the states is still being made and very easy to come by.

Can't go wrong with a 14 or a 141 in 35 Rem. If you find one...you won't be disappointed.

Good luck.

Randy

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back a number of years ago I bought a Remington 14 1/2 from an elderly gentleman who had bought it through an ad in the AR back in the 30's. I remember seeing the ads (not at the time however) from Hudson in New York. They also advertised Winchester 1892 and 1886 models, as well as Colt New Services. I believe they would buy obsolete models and sell them out at what were then very reasonable prices.

The Remington was in 44/40, and in excellent condition, except for a scratch about an inch and a half long extending down and back from the ejection port. I loaded three or four rounds of reloads, and found they would not feed. The cartridges slid vertically up the face of the carrier in slots, and those slots were very snug. I then found out, as I was trying to pry the stuck cartridge out the carrier, where the scratch on the receiver was from, as it was joined by another, nearly identical.

I never did get around to shooting it, but sold it to a local gun dealer/gun smith who thought it would be ideal for wild pigs. I had told him about the feeding problem, but he was planning to use factory loads. He discovered that he could not get even a twelve inch group at fifty yards, and some of the bullets were not strikinng exactly head on. He measured the bore, and found it was so oversize that it would not be possible to chamber a cartridge with a sufficiently large bullet, even if you could solve the feeding problem.

I doubled the money I paid for it, and he made a profit on it, selling it to a collector who wasn't concerned about shooting it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Johno - Remington M14's and M141's aren't too hard to find. They're real sleepers in my book. If a forum like the Savage forum were devoted to them, in a few years you would see prices rise signficantly. The Savage 99 used to have similar status to the Remington pumps until they started to become, "collectable." The .35 Remington is the most popular because ammunition is dramatically easier to obtain than any of the other calibers. Plus, it is a darn good hunting caliber. Hey, the O.T. thread you started has really taken off - about 1000 views and the weekend hasn't even started! If you want to see a high finish gun, check out this Model 14 and 1/2 I have in .44/40:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Once again slightly off topic of this thread, I was at a
gunshow back in the 90s and saw a Savage pump in .300 Savage
caliber, at first I thought it was a Remington 141, but it
was stamped Savage. Seller had it tagged as a R&D gun,
dont remember the price, and it wasnt a Model 170.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jericho - pretty hard to get in trouble for being off topic on an off topic thread. That sure sounds like an interesting Savage pump rifle. I wonder if anyone knows where it ended up? Seems like a gun for an advanced Savage collector smile

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 30 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,031
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.