-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Muck Woody Max for bow and turkey season.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One day around 20 years ago a group of marketing guys were sitting around brain storming, trying to figure out a way to expand the market for rubber boots beyond commercial fisherman, farmers, gardeners, etc....you know people who actually need them. The lightbulb goes off and one of them says "Hey, how bout hunters....they are a gullible lot who will buy any damn thing"! "Here is the ticket....we camo em up and convince hunters that they will help them kill deer! A naysayer says "wait a second, I remember from freshman biology that deer are color blind animals....they will never buy it!" "Nah" says the first guy, "hunters already buy millions of dollars of expensive camo outerwear to hunt colorblind animals with.....they don't care! Okay then, get Bill Jordan on the phone and order some of his camo patterns. A third genius pipes up "we need a few articles in hunting magazines about "scent control"....get a few of those guys on the blower"!

So, they painted their boots camo, tripled the price and put them in Bass Pro and Cabelas...the rest is history! Even sweeter is the fact that the boots are made in China costing them about $10 per pair and they sell them for over $100!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I gather, by your sardonicism, that you're not a fan of rubber boots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the day when we had quail, all the bird hunters wore that style of boot but as I recall they were Red Ball. It was a lot more than twenty years ago. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by RJY66
One day around 20 years ago a group of marketing guys were sitting around brain storming, trying to figure out a way to expand the market for rubber boots beyond commercial fisherman, farmers, gardeners, etc....you know people who actually need them. The lightbulb goes off and one of them says "Hey, how bout hunters....they are a gullible lot who will buy any damn thing"! "Here is the ticket....we camo em up and convince hunters that they will help them kill deer! A naysayer says "wait a second, I remember from freshman biology that deer are color blind animals....they will never buy it!" "Nah" says the first guy, "hunters already buy millions of dollars of expensive camo outerwear to hunt colorblind animals with.....they don't care! Okay then, get Bill Jordan on the phone and order some of his camo patterns. A third genius pipes up "we need a few articles in hunting magazines about "scent control"....get a few of those guys on the blower"!

So, they painted their boots camo, tripled the price and put them in Bass Pro and Cabelas...the rest is history! Even sweeter is the fact that the boots are made in China costing them about $10 per pair and they sell them for over $100!

Hunters around here have been wearing them for a lot more than 20 years. Of course they didn't know they needed the camo ones back then.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have mentioned that the farmers and dairy men wore the old Black gum boots that pushed your socks to the ends of your toes. miles

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a pair of Muck boots about six years ago and absolutely love them. I have hiked pretty long distances in them over rugged terrain and do not feel that they are inferior to lace-up boots if you hunt on the move. If you hunt areas that may have swamps, sloughs or creeks they are far superior to lace-ups. These boots are far from a marketing gimmick.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I agree with RJY66

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 99savage308

I agree with RJY66

Ummmm, what do you and RJY do when you come to a swamp?

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Spend a day still hunting this and you will wish you had them.
LaCrosse alpha work just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 08/04/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
best hunting boots money can buy [Linked Image]

Nice..........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The closest I ever came to frostbite was caused by rubber boots. I was hunting in a foot of snow on a clear, warm day. By noon, my feet were wet with sweat. Then a front moved in, the temp dropped at least 20 degrees or more and my wet feet started to get cold. REAL cold. I had a 2 mile hike back to the truck where I could get them dried out.

Gore-tex is much better but a long way from perfect. Your feet will stay dry, but the insulation is on the OUTSIDE of the membrane and it will get soaked. Your feet will be dry but inside a tub of ice water. I've never figured out why they can't put the insulation on the inside of the membrane.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SKane

I agree with RJY66

If I could clarify....

I was mostly having fun in that post yesterday morning. If you are going to be mucking through lowlands and snow on a regular basis, certainly a pair of rubber boots are called for. Just don't pay extra for camo if you are going to be deer hunting, the olive green ones are fine....haha! It is the "scent control" aspect of wearing them I am dubious on and was poking fun at.

If ya'll are worried about the deer smelling your footprints on a trail here is an idea regardless of what type of footwear you choose to use. Scrub your feet in the dirt and leaves on the forest floor before you begin your hunt.....all the better if you find a downed tree in the process of decay. Voila! "Fresh earth" cover scent!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in farm country and there used to be a man that lived here that would keep an oil squirt can full of diesel and he would spray a little on his boots before walking to his stand. He killed some nice deer. miles

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i use the woody armor by MUCK. I have no complaints. I prefer them to lace up because they are slip off and on and waterproof all the way up!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Problem with your little theroy is.... mine aren't camo.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always get a kick when at the gas station at 0 dark thirty and I see guys heading to the woods that are wearing their rubber 'scent free' boots while gassing up their truck.

I used to wear rubber boots when I did a lot of hunting from box stands, but now the very rough terrain that I hunt plus the long hike in requires a good leather boot.

Boots like the alpha burly have thei place and work well BUT you have to do your part to actually help reduce sent. Only wear them in the woods, store them in a garbage bag or big tuppaware container with some sort of natural sents ie pine branches, leafs and what not. I do this with my hunting clothes and don't buy any of that scent lock stuff. Its an old trick handed down from my wifes grandfather and I think it works better than any of the scent control stuff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes. Sometimes when I am just walking to a stand. I figure they smell less than the leather. I try to find cow piles either way. Seems like the most natural cover scent where I hunt.

stumpy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane

I agree with RJY66

If I could clarify....

I was mostly having fun in that post yesterday morning. If you are going to be mucking through lowlands and snow on a regular basis, certainly a pair of rubber boots are called for. Just don't pay extra for camo if you are going to be deer hunting, the olive green ones are fine....haha! It is the "scent control" aspect of wearing them I am dubious on and was poking fun at.

Ahhhh, 10-4.

WWP53D
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll also add that in addition the the LaCrosse boots I have, I also like the lighter insulated Bean boots. Very comfortable and you'd be surprised how quiet they can be while still hunting.

CLB

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,355
Posts18,488,001
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.