Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Otis
I have but refuse to post load data anymore because I don't need someone who buys guns instead of building them or haves someone else build them, tell me how reckless I am. Sounds like they need a dog to tell what to do, or some kids! I suppose Roy W. had people tell him he was out there too, good thing he didn't listen to them either or we would all be shooting 225 Win. as a fast gun! I only know what I read and do, mostly do! I never let anyone, and I mean anyone howl me down or brow beat me into thinking they know best for me. Been there, done that. Some guy who couldn't find tatta's on a girl in the front seat of a pick-up with a road map and both hands! Who said I need your seal of approval to be safe. I thought this was a friendly forum, not a panel of judges! If I see someone doing something stupid I don't say a word, they'll live, if they don't less people to add to the gene pool!

Run the original load as you typed it in your first post and I'm not terribly sure your rifle would survive.

A max load of IMR-4320 in my rifle is 45 gr WITH AN 85 GR BULLET rather than the 117 you cited up front.

If you're in the military you let people tell you what to do all the time... its called the chain of command, and people in the private sector do it all the time. The smart ones whether there is a chain of command to respect or not. If someone with more experience than me tells me that I ought to take a step back and double check what I'm doing because I'm not on the right track professionally I listen. I certainly would not be where I am today if I didn't, and it sounds like you wouldn't be where you are if you didn't. Same goes here. Even if a person or group doesn't have as much experience as me, I'll at least listen and thank them for their concern.

People saw that data and called for caution. You yourself have said that it was wrong, have you not? So what the heck is wrong with people looking out for you and anyone who might read your misinformation and not know enough to call it into question?

Your reaction to all of this seems to me a bit naive and quite sophomorish; I'd have been like, "Whoa I misquoted my data; sorry! My mistake." and left it at that.

GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Wickens
Has anyone worked up a load with RL17 for the 257imp

I have done limited work with it and the 100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter but it seems faster than IMR-4350 and doesn't produce as much velocity or as push 'em as accurately as that powder in my rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good on ya Bravo 27!

Since I live in Nebraska, I'm required to use a few Hornady bullets and although I probably shoot more Noslers, the 100 grain Hornady InterLocks are an excellent medium game bullet in any .257" bore cartridge in the 250-3000 thru 25-06 case capacity range. I'm currently shooting them in a couple different 257s, with H4831, and a 25 WSSM with H4895.

If you can get these bullet in Aussie Land, I think that you'll like them.

Jeff

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just a note here about loads in PO Ackley's loading manuals.
I started using them around 1960, and found that many of his loads were way too hot for my particular rifles. I always started low, and worked up with powder charges, fortunately. With most of his loads, I never got to his recommended loads as I had reached max well below what's in his manuals.
If someone STARTS testing with his recommended powder charges, they may be in deep trouble pressure wise.
Start 10% below, at a minimum. Better yet, compare his powder charges with modern manuals, and start testing with the min powder charge in today's manuals.
Been down this road many times before, w/r to POA's load data.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, you've got a number of years on me, as I only started reloading in 1970, so that I could feed my 218 Bee, 219 Zipper, 25-35, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 7x57, and 30-40 Krag. The shooters and reloaders who influenced me around Bill DeVaux's shop generally viewed POA as sort of a failed Roy Weatherby. Old habits, like preferring Winchester/Olin brass over Remington/Peters brass because JO'C preferred it, are hard to break.

Jeff

IC B2

B
B
Thanks 260 Rem, I'll give them a go. Back in the day when I first built this rifle Sierra was the bullet of the day, they worked so well I kept on with them. I do shoot Nosler 70gr BT's in a tricky 6mm Imp I have and they are a beaut and I'm currently building a 7mm Imp that will shoot 130gr & 140 gr, that will flatten anything here short of buffalo

Bravo 27 - a FRIEND DOWN UNDER

REACH OUT AND TOUCH SOMETHING - 500 YARDS!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I built my 257 AI in 1969 using a Pre-64 M70 action and a Douglas Premium Grade barrel. Using 100 gr. Nosler Partitions and 50 grs. IMR4350 she spits them out at 3200 fps (chronyed). Great little efficient cartridge that has taken many whitetails, muleys and antelope. If I need something faster then I'll use my 257 WBY Mag.

Make your first shot your best shot!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
B
B
Good Morning, I'm new to this forum and still finding my way around it but I have to say I'm very impressed with the overwhelmingly friendly comments and advice I have read. Here I have found a group of like minded enthusiasts who have been willing to share their experiences with us all and generous with their time to do so. I built my Roberts after seeing 2 different rifles owned by staff of my then local gunshop, I went home and looked up all the info I could find (Long B4 the internet) and decided to give it a go.
Had the "Net" been available then I would have reached out into the the ether as we do now and considered the advice offered with the ultimate goal of achieving the best possibe result. As it was then I talked to every body who had more experience than I did ( which was just about everybody) and glad I took the time. No, I probably won't follow all the advice I get but if I don't consider it I might miss something important. Having said that I'm embarking on a new project at the moment 7mm/303 Improved on a Greener Martini action that will have the facility to have interchangable barrels !

From a friend DOWN UNDER

Bravo 27

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 219 Wasp, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,237
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.