-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have one of these made in 1967. What I need to know is how the barrel is attached? Is it threaded and screwed into the receiver or how is it attached?

The reason I am asking is that the receiver is in desparate need of reblueing and cold blue is not working.

Thanks for listening.

The toughest thing about doing nothing is knowing when you are finished?
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe the barrel of my �69 Mountie is screwed in. Do you really have to remove the barrel to refinish the receiver? You could always return it to the factory and let them do it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just had a conversation with a factory repair tech/rep about a M39 that needs a new bbl. They refuse to sell a barrel, and if I chose to send it in it will be August of NEXT YEAR before I even should think about getting it back! phookem. Its the schitts to have to get parts for a production gun from a surplus house!

Yes, the barrel is threaded and no I wouldnt remove it to refinish the reciever. you would not be happy with the match if one were re-blued and the barrel left original.

NRA Benefactor
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have you tried Brownell's Oxpho Blue Creme? It works well on my Marlins and matches perfectly.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all for responding. Yes, the barrel was screwed on and the receiver has already been sent out for reblueing so time will tell if it was the correct thing to do or not.

My 1967 Golden Mountie was almost new but the original owner that I purchased it from had given it to his parents. His father used an electric pencil to scribe his drivers license number in it so I wanted that removed, thus the need to reblue the receiver.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
daveyreka, I have a Win 9422M and a Browning BL22 that both have the previous owners nickname engraved in the side of the recievers. Kinds sad to see, but I got them pretty cheap because of it. Someday I might try to fix them. How did you fix yours? Did you file the whole surface down until the marking was gone?

John

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John,

I took it to my gunsmith who did all of the work. He called me today that it is back so I am going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

I will ask him how he removed the electric pencil marks. The marks on my rifle were not real deep. I am more concerned about the new reblue job that he had someonelse do. I wish I knew how to post pictures so that I could show people what I am talking about. Maybe someday.

Anyway, I will let you know tomorrow evening how things turned out.

Dave

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
daveyreka,

Go to the first post on the photography thread to see how to post pictures. It's not hard.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/696239/all/How_to_post_your_photos

John

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John,

Thanks for the suggestion about posting pictures. I plan to start posting pictures once my wife gets the software loaded on our new computer, problem is now she wants to get a new camera before she does that.

Now, as far as my Marlin 39 Golden Mountie we were talking about earlier in this thread. I did get it back today and it looks perfect. I asked him how he got the electric pencil drivers license number out and he said that he used a flat piece of wood with fine grit sand paper and just sanded it out and then had the entire receiver reblued. Cost me $80 total for everything which I thought was very reasonable.

I plan on taking my Mountie to the range in the morning just to try it out. Not sure what I am going to do with it at this point.

Dave

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Took the 67 Marlin Golden Mountie out to the range and just started plinking at various targets with no particular intentions.

I really fell in love with the gun for the first time since I have owned it. It really shoots very well and feels perfect when I pull it up. I told my shooting pal that I think this one is a keeper after all.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

Dave

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Glad it worked out, matching bluing can be hit or miss. Do you know where the gun was sent to get it tanked? Price sounded extremely reasonable. Did you remove the bbl or leave it on?

NRA Benefactor
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SOFMatchstaff,

I took the rifle to my local semi retired gunsmith who took the rifle apart. He removed the receiver completely and sent it off somewhere to have it reblued. I will call him and ask where he sent it to for the reblue job. I am not sure if it was to one of his local friends that just do work for a select few people or if it was a commercial shop.

I will post the answer to the questions you raised ASAP.

Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (160user, 44mc, 35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 12 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,430
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.