Hop To
O
ozzie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
G'day chaps,

I have a .308 MLR '81 (basically same as the BLR '81 as both were made in Japan I believe...) which is in generally very good condition (quite a few 100 rounds through it..but not 1000's !)...and the lever/bolt has started to stick when cycling the action at the open-most position.... frown

(I had an identical model MLR in .243 which had most of the blueing worn off and the barrel shot out....but cycled smooth as silk to the very end...)

From other threads here it seems that even in the 'the States' ...'smiths are reluctant to fiddle around with the complicated rack and pinion mechanism... eek

Any thoughts ??

Sunny Australia ....but currently stuck in Spain..
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I treated my 81 to a trigger job. I was pleased with the results. The gunsmith griped about the rack & pinion set up. I see it as purely mechanical. If a gunsmith is worth his salt he should be able to wrench on anything mechanical. I think it has more to do with desire than anything else.

Sometimes these gun shops tend to be like body shops. They get so much work from the run of the mill stuff they are unwilling to take on anything out of the norm. They can make easy money on the simple things. Hence they do their prospective customers, whose money is just as green, a disservice.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
ozzie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I treated my 81 to a trigger job. I was pleased with the results. The gunsmith griped about the rack & pinion set up. I see it as purely mechanical. If a gunsmith is worth his salt he should be able to wrench on anything mechanical. I think it has more to do with desire than anything else.

Sometimes these gun shops tend to be like body shops. They get so much work from the run of the mill stuff they are unwilling to take on anything out of the norm. They can make easy money on the simple things. Hence they do their prospective customers, whose money is just as green, a disservice.

I agree a lot of so called 'smiths would put a BLR in the too hard basket !

I hope a 'smith would chime in here...might post a thread on the Gunsmithing section too...A few years ago ..when a major Australian Gun Importer/distributor was closing up shop (selling off to the Government in a 'buyback deal')...I picked up a new .358 barrel for a BLR..but also attached was a bare receiver without the innards...(this is how they sold 'em) I was told... it was easier the swap the tube with receiver attached than merely fit a new barrel !!! dont know if this is correct ??? go figure ?? they must be reasonably tricky to work on!

Sunny Australia ....but currently stuck in Spain..
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Neil Jones does decent trigger work on BLR's. He is a bit pricey but the BLR's are harder to work on.

As far as barrel work I don't think The BLR is any different than a bolt gun.

http://www.neiljones.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (06hunter59, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,882
Posts18,497,770
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.