Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
"I" am sick!
I had left the Hunters Rendevous at the wonderful Shedhorn Sports Store in Ennis, Montana and I had begun driving the 75 miles back home when one of my travel mates remarked that some of the reloading powder he had purchased at the yearly event/sale had been rung up to "high" at the check out stand.
Yikes, I said, as I wheeled into a turnout 3 miles south of town.
I had bought 4 cans of powder and I had not checked my sales slip for correct sales prices.
I got into my trunk and double checked my receipt. All the powders were for the correct sales price on my sales slip - BUT - I did notice I had incorrectly purchased a carton or Remington 9 1/2 Magnum primers for $29.00 when in fact I wanted to purchase 1,000 of the standard Remington 9 1/2 primers for $28.00!
Was it worth going back for a BUCK and my not having to resell the wrong size primers at a gunshow?
Well I had a gnawing in my gut besides the errant dollar - I had passed on a High Standard heavy barrel "Sharp Shooter" in mint condition (with two magazines!) back at the Shedhorn and I was "weakening" to the pistols siren like call!
Back I go to the store and search for a parking spot in the shade so in case my flesh were to weaken further and I would spring for the wonderfully charming and amazingly clean 36 year old High Standard pistol my two travel mates would at least be in the August shade!
I ran right into "Rob" the owner of the store as I went to the check out stand and I "manuevered" a cash price from him that made it mandatory I buy said pistol!
Of late I have grown fond of this fine line of pistols and I just "had to" add this cherry to my small arsenal of other High Standard heavy barrel pistols (5 others).
My two travel mates gave me a well deserved "razzing" as they had to wait about 25 minutes for me to get through the over-loaded gun buying process that the Shedhorn folks put folks through on their yearly sales event days.
Oh well my friends had "Coors" on ice (provided by the VarmintGuy!) to keep their thirst at bay while they waited and they both agreed that the High Standard was indeed "minty" enough to assuage their impatience at my tardiness.
I can't wait to shoot this nifty piece.
And as usual it will be put into service for the "closer" Gophers come next spring.
I have a "sickness" and its called "gun-nuttiness" - I guess.
I simply HAD to sneak this one PAST the VarmintWife once back to home as she OK'ed my using family funds (debit card) to buy the initial $200.00 worth of bullets, brass, primers and powder from my first shopping session.
If only my friend had not mentioned his sales receipt and its clerical error?
Naw, in the end I think I am glad he did - minty High Standards autoloading pistols are getting hard to find at affordable prices!
You only live once - sick or not.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Welcome to my addiction (High Standards)!
Have you been to the www.rimfirecentral.com site and the HS forum on it? If not, cruise on over for a nightly fix. Lots of help there too.
Also try SGVictor's (John Stimson's) web site for HS at http://www.histandard.info/ for anything you want to know about your pistols. He is the HS guru IMHO.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
SteveS: Thank you for the links.
I appreciate it.
I see you are from New Hampshire?
One of my mentors in this new area of collecting is a fellow named Jim Gray - he is the recent past president of the Weapons Collectors Society of Montana and an avid High Standard collector.
Apparently he also used to be an executive of the High Standard Company and has had a hand in designing the recent remakes of the High Standards and had a hand in designing the 17 Aguilla cartridge that certain High Standards can be adapted to - I am a little shakey on Jims background but I do know he has a lot of High Standard arms and acoutrements.
I need a "good" reference book on High Standards and may just do a google search or maybe you can suggest a particular book on High Standards for me?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I only know one Jim Gray, but don't think it's your friend--one I know lives in Mass. on Cape Cod--he's a county sheriff there.
Don't know any HS collectors up here locally, but I think there is one who puts a bunch of HS guns on consignment over in Exeter NH.

The original reference book on HS is by Tom Dance--from quite a few years ago, but it has errors in it so I hear. Best bet is to go to either of the two web sites I listed and ask which books are best--I've seen titles but don't remember the names at this time.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
SteveS: Thanks for the tip and I will mosey on over and seek out "the" definitive High Standard reference book.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It's nice to know that their are other gun "Sickos" out there besides Me, maybe that's why I like this site so well, we understand and embrace each others weakness for firearms.....Good luck with your new pistol.................Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
VaHillbilly: Yes there is strength in numbers.
I took the High Standard to the rnage this morning and it functions perfectly with both clips that came with it.
And with the ammo I used it did not even need the sights adjusted at 30 feet.
I can't wait for next spring and some live targets.
The trigger on this pistol is just wonderful.
So I guess this one is a keeper.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I fell in love with High Standards years ago for the triggers and still love 'em. Have shot a few other custom guns that are close or better triggers, but not many.
Also like HS because they are, IMHO, WAY less likely to jam or misfire than Smith 41's once the mags are adjusted right and general concensus is they will just or somewhat outshoot a Smith 41 as well. (talking Trophy's, Victors, Citations or even Tournaments and some Field Kings and Sharpshooters here.

Enjoy!

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
SteveS: I got to the range again and did some more range work with my new High Standard "Sharp Shooter" pistol.
I am happy with the new pistol and it functions reliably.
Now I am new to semi-auto atrget pistols having only rarely shot said types in the past.
In fact I had always kind of wanted a Smith & Wesson Model 41 for myself.
I had in the distant past fired a clip load through three different 41's.
I have long since forgotten the trigger wokings so I can't compare them.
I do know this, that Smith & Wesson Model 41's are PRICEY these days (isn't everything?)!
I see the 41's from time to time (rarely?) for $850.00 and on up!
I trust your experiences completely in the accuracy department as again I am rather NEW to the heavy barrel target type semi-auto 22's.
Do you have any recommendations for "accurate" hollow-point ammunition for my Ground Squirrel Hunting duties with the High Standard?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
First of all, use ONLY std. vel. ammo, NOT high speed ammo in any HS gun--even though the manuals say you can use HS. HS ammo can crack the frame at the right rear of the mag. well from the top of the frame to where the mag button rides. Just look around for a good standard velocity hollowpoint and you should be good to go.
Any of the web sites I mentioned will advise the same, in addtion to replacing the recoil (aka "driving") spring, unless you know how many rounds it has shot. They're cheap, about $7.00 and average about 15,000 rounds before you should replace them as a maintenance item. Wolff Springs are the best. Jaybar has a sticky at RFC on how to do it, or he will do it for about $20.00

Last edited by SteveS; 09/16/10.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
SteveS: Thank you for all the information and tips - they are greatly appreciated.
I am printing out your post.
Standard velocity hollow-points it will be.
The ranges for my "Gophering" will not be long - 25 yards or maybe a tad further.
Thanks again
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You'll be fine--your gun should do 1" to 2" at 50' or better (off a rest, unless you are REALLY good)if bbl. is in good shape
You should have "minute of gopher" out to 25 yards or more, easy.

Last edited by SteveS; 09/28/10.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
SteveS: On many of the ranches and farms where I Hunt the Ground Squirrels the owners only allow rimfire arms and ammunition.
We have our rimfires dialed in for longer ranges and mine all have high power variable scopes on them.
So when a Ground Squirrel shows up at 10 to 15 yards and begins squealing and squeaking up a storm it turns us into twitching masses of flesh.
I don't know how many Gophers I have missed at 12 yards with my 40X rimfire Rifle with its Nikon 5.5x16.5 variable scope!
I always shoot over or under them at the ultra close ranges!
So this pistol will be put to use like you mentioned from window sandbags or from my portable bench rests sand bags.
With the large magazine capacity and a high rate of fire I should put a dent in the crop eaters that pop up right next to us!
One of my main Gopher Hunting friends has a 5 year old Ruger semi-auto pistol in stainless steel with a long heavy barrel - it has a good trigger and I have seen him "bonk" Gophers at 25 yards on many occassions.
He is thinking of mounting a scope on that Ruger to extend his range another 20 or 25 yards.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
VarmintGuy,
I'd use the pistol for 25' to 25 yards--after 50' out to 30 or 35 yds, a red dot holographic site is nice. Not too bulky either. Truth be known, if I want to put an end to the crop theives, I'd use a rifle for sure at 35 yds or more for sure, with an AO scope to adust for focus and parallax at various yardages with a quick move of the AO ring. Not to say that doing some damage with a pistol at 50 yds isnt' fun. Your gun should be capable of 2 to 3" groups at 50 yds from a Ransom rest and depending on the hollow point ammo you use (solid point target ammo would be 1" to 2" at 50 yards from a machine rest)--the rest is up to you.
Good luck!

Last edited by SteveS; 10/02/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SteveS
Also like HS because they are, IMHO, WAY less likely to jam or misfire than Smith 41's once the mags are adjusted right and general concensus is they will just or somewhat outshoot a Smith 41 as well. (talking Trophy's, Victors, Citations or even Tournaments and some Field Kings and Sharpshooters here.

Enjoy!

So my 41 isn't the only one to jam regularly?

I bought the gun used, and never gave it a thorough cleaning. Was thinking it was too dirty inthe ramp/chamber area.

Last edited by AB2506; 10/04/10.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by SteveS

Enjoy!

So my 41 isn't the only one to jam regularly?

Do you have any recommendations for "accurate" hollow-point ammunition for my Ground Squirrel Hunting duties with the High Standard?

VarmintGuy--didn't realize I didn't anwswer your question about HP ammo types or brands. FYI, CCI ammo is usually the go to ammo for HS guns--just find a std. vel. hp from CCI--burns clean, never any duds, feed good, reasonably price, accurate.

I bought the gun used, and never gave it a thorough cleaning. Was thinking it was too dirty inthe ramp/chamber area.

AB2506,
No, you're not the only one. Bear in mind I'm kind of a HS guy, but do think the 41 is a great gun--got a case of the shakes last year for a 2 gun set of 41's at a local gun show--long and short barrel guns, both with all with the weights, standard and target grips, extra mags, a red dot sight and mount for one on a third aftermarket barrel, aluminum case, for $2200.00, but didn't have the coin at the time.
Still, from another guy I know who shoots at a different club who owns a 5th 41, he says it's essential to keep them clean--so it could be my team mates lack of maintenance that is causing the issues.
I'd go over to "http://smith-wessonforum.com/forum", sign up and ask some questions over there about getting yours to run right.

Last edited by SteveS; 10/04/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,352
Posts18,506,261
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.