#4324495 08/13/10
C
Con Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Guys,
Awhile (quite awhile) back there was talk of the 'perfect' 223AI build. I remember it went something like Rem700 action, PacNor at 22" and a light contour etc etc... Search function wont operate past 12 months, so I cant find reference to it.

Anyone remember the build details?

Also ... there's been reference to Steve Timm's article from Varmint Hunter magazine (I think). Anyone have a scanned copy I could grab as this magazine doesn't make it to Australia.

I'm about to pull from the gunsafe a too long neglected Rem700 with Palma contoured 27.5" barrel chambered in 223AI to play with, so the read would be worthwhile. Then I need to decide whether to keep a Stevens200 stock-standard ... or also re-chamber. grin
Cheers...
Con

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "perfect" build depends on how you're gonna use it. I have 4 - .223AI's that are all for different situations, and they're all perfect.

C
Con Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ackman,
True ... this was more a lightweight carry rifle from memory.
Cheers...
Con

B
B
Morning Con, I just had a look at the ADI loading data, they don't list the AI but have a good list of loads for the 223
You can download it off the net - Just type in ADI Powders
That should do it. I built one years ago on a small action M55 Tikka and its a beaut

Regards

Bravo 27

Last edited by bravo; 08/13/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve Timm (AKA Dogzapper) is the originator of that rifle. Here are his specs:

".223 Ackley
Remington 700 action
McMillan Mountain Rifle stock
2�-contour barrel - floorboard crown
21-inch barrel (some would prefer 22-inch)
Trigger pull: 2�-pounds
Leupold 4.5-14 scope in Leupold QR mounts"

Here is my copy of his rifle with a couple important changes. I used an 8 twist barrel so I could use the 75 A-Max at 3000+ fps in addition to the more traditional light to medium weight bullets. That 8 twist also shoots lightweight bullets well indeed.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...uld_Dogzapper_take_this_one_#Post2479915

By the way, the search function goes back as far as you want to , but in 1-year increments. For example, newer that 6 years, older than 5 years...

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

C
Con Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
RickF,
That's the one!! I think I might try it with the Stevens but with a 6x Leupold as a fox whistling rifle and walk-about varminter.

What's a floorboard crown? Deep recess to protect it when resting on the floor and propped on the seat?

Didn't think of searching like that!! grin
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 08/13/10.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Con
What's a floorboard crown? Deep recess to protect it when resting on the floor and propped on the seat?
Con

Exactly. Also protects it in other situations as well! wink

Sounds like a perfect build. My rifle now wears a Leupold 3.5-10X40 with an M1 elevation turret, but your 6X gives up little. Looking forward to seeing the photos when it's complete! Thanks.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Lowered powered variable would be a much better calling scope vs a fixed 6x, 3.5-10, 3x12, 2x8, and 4x12 or 4x16 on the top end for killing crows sitting off in trees.

I don't know about down under, but here foxes are in your lap quite often. They are suckers to certain distress sounds.

Do you have access to predator calling tapes and cd's down under?

C
Con Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
keith,
The fixed 6x and I have 'history'. Much loved, much abused scope ... too embarrassed to send it back for a refurbishment.

Plenty of foxes here, usually not in your lap however as I live in irrigated dairy country. Flat and open, you can usually position yourself to not be 'surprised'. This is not the case in other localities where a shotgun is the best option.

Foxes are hunted opportunistically here as well as on organised fox drives, spotlighting, and whistling using button whistles to imitate a distressed rabbit. The 'taped calls' are not common at all, don't know anyone that uses them. Our foxes (and I presume yours) go 'off the whistle' whilst breeding over the winter months during which spotlighting becomes the favoured method. We're coming up to Spring now which means this years fresh batch of pups will be out soon, and they are certainly vulnerable to a whistle, with multiples coming in not uncommon. These youngsters often require a 'greeting' to stop them in their tracks to allow a rifle shot to take place.
Cheers...
Con

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
The tapes of a Red and grey fox fighting will allow you to kill the whole bunch of them. I have killed 7 on one stand, and killed multiples many times.

If you pay the postage and think that the tapes would not be ruined by X-Ray, I would send you some of these tapes...they sure do get your heart pumping when they come charging in. What is really wierd is that several may come in at one time, then run off at the shot, then come back again, then run off again, then come back again...attention span of a gnat.

IC B3

B
B
Back in the 70's when fox pelts were worth a bit we used to use a tape of a young chicken - recorded in the bathroom - where we "wriggled" it around a bit to get the distressed sounds.

On the first try shot 3 foxes in about 2 minutes, They literally ran straight at the sound.
We must have called a couple of hundred foxes all in all.

I have often thought of making another one but no more chooks

In those days the calibre of choice was the Rem 17, That rifle is now the 223 AI

Regards
Bravo 27

C
Con Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
bravo,
I've never heard of anyone using the elctronic callers over here. Might look into it a bit more.
Cheers...
Con

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (219DW, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,462
Posts18,508,236
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.