Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Read on yahoo - can't copy it here - that he claims the church in Fl. is putting our troops in danger .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The pastor at the church hasn't burned one quran yet. But various muslims are already burning his effigy and the American flag. They are throwing rocks at us in Afghanistan. Seems like they never miss an opportunity to berate us. Quite a religion of peace.

It is also covered on DRUDGE.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 09/07/10.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Muzzies hate us no matter what, but I do see Petraeus's point. His plate is already full with without having to deal with this. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...3093116.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

KABUL�The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a small Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger and damage the war effort.

Gen. David Petraeus said the Taliban would exploit the demonstration for propaganda purposes, drumming up anger toward the U.S. and making it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

Protesters stage an anti-U.S. rally in Kabul after an American church says it will burn the Holy Koran on the September 11 anniversary. Video courtesy of Reuters.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Gen. Petraeus said in an interview. "It is precisely the kind of action the Taliban uses and could cause significant problems. Not just here, but everywhere in the world we are engaged with the Islamic community."

Hundreds of Afghans attended a demonstration in Kabul on Monday to protest the plans of Florida pastor Terry Jones, who has said he will burn copies of Islam's holy book to mark the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Afghan protesters chanted "death to America," and speakers called on the U.S. to withdraw its troops. Some protesters threw rocks at a passing military convoy.

View Full Image

AFP/Getty Images
Gen. David Petraeus said the planned burning of Qurans on Sept. 11 by a Florida church could put the lives of American troops in danger.

Military officials fear the protests will likely spread to other Afghan cities, especially if the event is broadcast or ends up on Internet video.

Mr. Jones, head of the 50-member Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Fla., said in a statement that "We understand the General's concerns. We are sure that his concerns are legitimate." Nonetheless, he added, "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam. We will no longer be controlled and dominated by their fears and threats."

Mr. Jones has been denied a permit for the demonstration, but has said he plans to go forward with the protest.

Rev. Stephanie Sapp, spokeswoman for the center, said no one from the Pentagon or other federal agencies had expressed concern or asked that the event be canceled. She did say that the Federal Bureau of Investigation had discussed security measures.

Pentagon officials said they were not aware that any Defense officials have reached out directly to Mr. Jones. But military officers said they hoped that Gen. Petraeus's statement�an unusual move since military commanders rarely get involved in politics�would convince Mr. Jones to change his plans.

Gen. Petraeus declined to elaborate on the nature of the threats or violence that could occur, but westerners in Afghanistan have been warned away from restaurants and other public places amid the rising tensions.

Other senior military leaders echoed Gen. Petraeus commentsMonday. Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, who oversees the effort to train Afghan security forces said he was informed of the planned Florida protests several days ago by a senior minister in the Afghan government.

Associated Press
Afghans burn an effigy of Mr. Jones during an anti-U.S. demonstration in Kabul on Monday.

More

Muslims Protest Plans to Burn Quran
Gen. Caldwell said many Afghans do not understand either the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment or the fact that President Barack Obama can't simply issue a decree to stop Mr. Jones from his demonstration. Military officials said they were not trying to deny Mr. Jones his right to free speech, but feared he was not thinking about the consequences of his actions.

"There is no question about First Amendment rights; that is not the issue," Gen. Caldwell said. "The question is: What is the implication over here? It is going to jeopardize the men and women serving in Afghanistan."

Zuma Press
Pastor Terry Jones, of the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Fla., says he will burn copies of the Quran

Military officials also fear that if video of the Quran burning is broadcast in Afghanistan, tensions could rise between NATO forces and the Afghan military and police. Allegations of mishandling the Quran have interrupted Afghan security training at least twice this year, Gen. Caldwell said.

In one instance, a Quran fell to the ground when an American officer opened a locker during an inspection of Afghan trainees' barracks. The rumor quickly spread that the officer had thrown it to the ground, angering the trainees at the camp. "He quickly apologized, but rumors took off like wildfire," Gen. Caldwell said. "It was so hard to get the misperception turned around we stopped all training for the rest of the day."

Reports about the Quran have set off violent protests before. A report in Newsweek, later retracted, that a U.S. interrogator at the Guantanamo Bay prison had flushed a Quran down a toilet set off riots in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice thing about this is that it reveals your enemies.
Petraus needs to shut up and do his job - killing muzzies!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BarryC
Nice thing about this is that it reveals your enemies.
Petraus needs to shut up and do his job - killing muzzies!

Yep. Worrying about the sideshow of one church in a country the size of America is troubling.

I doubt McArthur or Patton dissed Bugs Bunny or Popeye cartoons and the way they ripped the Japanese.

But, they were in a real war.

OOPS...left out the Three Stooges.

Last edited by Stan V; 09/07/10.

All American

All the time
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i do not agree with the burning of the koran on general principals...

but i do not believe for a second that it will affect our standing in the eyes of the world's islamic population...

our troops are in danger as long as the radical islamics live and have the means to hit us...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is the REAL problem :

it harder for allied troops to carry out their mission of protecting Afghan civilians.

Wrong mission .

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't hold out any hope for the nation building, win their hearts and minds approach.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He is supposed to be fighting to protect our freedom - including the freedom to do things that pizz people off, stupid or not.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the "pastor" in question is obviously a whack job, but I find it troubling that a general is commenting on what the participants believe is a religious observation back in America and how troubling it is. does he find it equally troubling that the Iranians are about to flog an alleged adulteress, before they stone her? might that not inflame anti-islamic sentiments?

do the muzzies have any responsibilities at all not to act like childish psychopaths every time someone does something they don't like?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm a lot more in touch with the "It's the anniversary of 9/11 and islam's clear goal continues to be world domination" than I am with any ambivalence over book burning....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I don't recall one military leader responding to the aunties during W's term....

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For a General to remark on what is essentialy a political event of the domestic sort is rare according to one news report I read .That's the way I recall things also .

Reckon he was "encouraged" by his CIC ?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ya think?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're moronic cultists, making a tough and dangerous job even tougher and more dangerous. I'd love to see their reaction to burning Christ in effigy on the cross.

We need to just quietly kill our enemies. We don't need to inflame moderate Muslims.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by luv2safari

We don't need to inflame moderate Muslims.

I don't remember hearing from moderate Muslims?

All American

All the time
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I doubt it does much to endanger our troops, but I wouldn't want to be a member of that church. I think the pastor is doing a great disservice to his congregation and placing a bullseye on it with what is more of a political statement than a religious one.

The only reason Petraus is saying what he is saying is because the Obama administration told him to say it. They want to stop this but have no mechanism for stopping what is at its core, free speach. They were hoping that invoking the name of the troops might have some effect.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So what are they going to do? Try to kill us MORE? I do have respect for Patreus, but he is out of line, and wrong. The pastor is a wild hare, but within his rights. He also mentioned that rather than blame HIM, maybe we should blame THE MUZZIES. Doesn't sound like a whack job. The ROP views us as weak, and little more than women with nads. I think we should just crush them. No quarter given. The half - azzed way we are required to fight this war is prolonging it. They will never like us, they will never accept us, they will never tolorate us. We must absolutely dominate them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Quite a shame we don't have a million more like the pastor in Florida.

Too many loud mouths proclaiming peace & safety when there is none & never will be. All they want to do is pass the offering plate to make sure the lights & a/c stay on.

A sword for The Lord, go get 'em God !!!

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Comments from the senior pastor at the Church.

Responding to Petraeus' comments, Dove World Outreach Center's senior pastor Terry Jones acknowledged Petraeus' concerns as legitimate.

"Still, we feel that it is time for America to quit apologizing for our actions and bowing to kings," Jones said in a statement released by his church. "We must send a clear message to the radical element of Islam. We will no longer be controlled and dominated by their fears and threats. It is time for America to return to being America."

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 3,511 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,486
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.