-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This crap about "if the warden/guy had been wearing orange" is a real crock of schit. I know several guys who are colorblind. Orange makes no difference to them. If you use the telscopic sights on a high powered rifle to identify a target, you NEED to get your ass kicked. It ain't about color or hot/cold chamber,it is all about genuine safe handling. Like DON'T POINT YER RIFLE AT ANYTHING YOU DO NOT INTEND TO SHOOT!!! And I have no prob with the OP using his set-up as he did. And the warden was right to be frazzled over it. but it was NOT a rifle and it was shown. End of story.

added:Using a rifle scope to ID a target is one of the trash practices I usually expect to hear from a NYC idiot. Sorta like the infamous "sound shot" Standard hunting practice for them??? confused

Last edited by EvilTwin; 09/07/10.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim...check your Email....woody

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yes, I would discontinue the use of the current set-up to avoid getting shot. If I see someone pointing that set-up at me, and it looks like a gun, I will shoot back. Of course the warden was pissed...put yourself in his shoes. Make it look like something other than a gun.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by PhilinAZ
Yes, I would discontinue the use of the current set-up to avoid getting shot. If I see someone pointing that set-up at me, and it looks like a gun, I will shoot back. Of course the warden was pissed...put yourself in his shoes. Make it look like something other than a gun.

Enjoy your time in prision.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I would discontinue the use of the current set-up to avoid getting shot. If I see someone pointing that set-up at me, and it looks like a gun, I will shoot back.

You have to joking or out of your friggin' mind. Are going shoot at the first reflection of single lens without taking the time to see what it really is?

It's schit like this and pointing a scoped rifle to identify something moving in the brush that causes shooting accidents.

Both of you need bish slapped and loose your priveledge to hunt as far as I'm concerned. Either that or take a basic Hunters Safety class and pay attention this time.

UNFREAKINREAL. mad

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
That's what they get for sneaking around in the woods and not making their prescience known. I don't think you were at fault at all!

Agreed. I do suppose hwoever, if you tried sneaking up on the squirrel sheriff to make him [purposely] nervous by continuously pointing your "fake gun" at them, then maybe you'd be guilty of harrassing them .....

But if you were going about normal activities and using your handy-mounted spotter like it sounds ..... I'd remind the squirrel sheriff of a former Soviet (and still Rooshun) saying ..... "toughski [bleep]!" smirk wink

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T LEE
Sorry, I see nothing wrong there. Yes it might be a bit disconcerting to the spotee, but once the true nature of the item is known that should have been the end of the discussion IMHO.

Also agreed!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Might want to change up to a quality all weather stock though and glass bed the spotting scope so it holds zero.

LOL I was wondering if someone was going to trash my raunchy old M98 sporter stock. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks, bcp. I believe I will dump my old M98 sporter stock and throw some money at solving the issue. The shoulder stock should even look innocent enough to glass babes at the beach. smile

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A lot of people are fairly quick on the trigger and work under the assumption that the only reason to aim a gun at something is to shoot that something. The old "tried by 12/carried by 6" argument comes into play when you are being targeted by a real firearm or what appears to most reasonable people to be a firearm. I have successfully refrained from shooting at the several people who have scoped me with their rifle scopes but did have my safety off once(some trespassing jerk continued to scope me with his rifle scope from about 35 yards even after I made my humanness clearly known by sight and sound while hunting on my land). What you would do and what someone else would do may be two quite different things. I treasure my life enough not to give someone else a fairly good reason to do me harm.

A reflection off a single lens does not always mean someone is aiming a rifle at you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keep it up.
I have a 10/22 stock set up the same way. I learned to use a spotting scope like that from a game warden 35 or so years ago. Works great.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the feedback, ladies and gentlemen. Heading for the cabin - yotes and whitetail scouting on the agenda.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Just saw this post and only read the OP...and Bullet butts response..

Bulletbutt was right....

Ingwe

Wow, ingweewee, I owed you before, but now I REALLY owe you! grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NO.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sneak up on guys varmint hunting,expect to get some thing pointed at you.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by fish head
Yes, I would discontinue the use of the current set-up to avoid getting shot. If I see someone pointing that set-up at me, and it looks like a gun, I will shoot back.

You have to joking or out of your friggin' mind. Are going shoot at the first reflection of single lens without taking the time to see what it really is?

It's schit like this and pointing a scoped rifle to identify something moving in the brush that causes shooting accidents.

Both of you need bish slapped and loose your priveledge to hunt as far as I'm concerned. Either that or take a basic Hunters Safety class and pay attention this time.

UNFREAKINREAL. mad

Get off your high horse judge fishhead. No I'm not joking. It's called self defense. It has nothing to do with hunting. If someone points a gun at me, I'm going to shoot back. I'm gunna identify whatever's pointed at me and if what looks like a gun is still pointed at me I'm going to defend myself. That rig looks like a gun and scope. I hunt in areas where cartels are sporting AK's and SKS's. You don't point guns, or [bleep] that look like guns, at people--thats in all safty gun classes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
uh yea...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get off your high horse judge fishhead. No I'm not joking. It's called self defense. It has nothing to do with hunting. If someone points a gun at me, I'm going to shoot back. I'm gunna identify whatever's pointed at me and if what looks like a gun is still pointed at me I'm going to defend myself. That rig looks like a gun and scope. I hunt in areas where cartels are sporting AK's and SKS's. You don't point guns, or [bleep] that look like guns, at people--thats in all safty gun classes.

No, shooting at something you BELIEVE to be a rifle that's pointed at you is NOT self defense. It's attempted murder, or murder if you connect.

If you even return fire at a rifle that's shot in your direction, that's still not automatic self defense. Could very well be the hunter is firing at a critter in front of or behind you and just hasn't seen you. Again, if you return fire that would be attempted murder or murder on YOUR part.

Danged sure glad you don't hunt anywhere near me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nothing to do with nothing but I sure would love to come across robo-deer one of these days whilst hunting and setup about 600yards out with turrets.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (22kHornet, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 46 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,262
Posts18,504,843
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.