Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
. I forget what the name is in Africaans but Craig bought me one and he bought himself two. The ones he bought were peppered steak, he said they were best, but they had chicken, lamb, mincemeat, and others.

not sure what you are describing but in Afrikaans it might be "vetkoek" or "pasteikies", not sure though.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for a great report Afterum cool

Years ago I did the hardship thing in Africa (Peace Corps); mud huts, muddy water, military coup, malaria, the works....

...and now I live in South Texas which, as it turns out, looks remarkably like South Africa...

Sooo.... by my lights...

...while ANYBODY in Africa is a real weenie if'n they ain't drinking muddy water (and who has the yellow bubbly diarrhea from their giardia to prove it), sleeping in mud huts, twenty pounds underweight, and eating the exact same miserable things day in day out.... grin

....I know for a fact a fence across the middle of nowhere (as per your pics) does NOT make it any easier to find game.

..and as per your pics, I'd much rather see it the way is REALLY is.

Thank you for sharing cool

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here is the picture of Tip's recordbook steenbok. I forgot to put it in the story.

[Linked Image]

Nice Steenbok!!

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Keep up the good work and excellent writing style. I just wish we all had submitted our reports in this manner.
Also, don't get discouraged with some of the comments here. They beat me up bad for having a little blood on my Springbuck in a picture I posted on another website. I didn't bother with a reply explaining that we had run out of water to give it a bath with.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
AFTERUM,

Congratulations on a great safari in RSA, I hope one day I can return to Africa with my wife also!

I took my son and we both hunted PG in Namibia June 2008...

Your excellent hunt report and photographs have brought back some wonderful memories!

Thank you for sharing I'm glad you did! grin

IC B2

A
AFTERUM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thursday, August 26th, 2010
I could really feel the clock ticking now. Two days to hunt. We had breakfast as usual and we headed out to a very large (20,000 acre) property that was not very far from camp. I liked the close pieces of property cause we got to come back for lunch and then a little rest in the middle of the day before we went back out about 2:30 or so. This was another one of those "hard" days. We saw a gemsbok from the bakkie early and we bailed off and gave chase. We tracked him for over an hour thru the thorn and got a glimpse or two but I never even got on the sticks. Back to the bakkie, ride some more, walk some more, just couldn't find the magic. We went back for a nice lunch, and I spent some time writing in my journal. When you go, be sure and journal your adventure. I hope you are better at it than I am, I still have some blank pages and I have been back almost 2 weeks! I promise I will get it all filled in. I tried very hard this day to notice small things. Sights, sounds, smells of Africa that I knew I would miss very much when we left on Saturday. My binoculars were covered in a fine red dust (I still have not cleaned them except for the lenses) and I have never hunted with a dirtier rifle than the one that was in my lap. I figured there would be plenty of time to clean everything when we got home. Craig was getting anxious. You know how we all go thru phases as hunters. When you are younger, its "kill, kill, kill," and as you get older its "come my friend, let's have a drink around the fire and talk about the day". We walked almost all day and I think sometimes Craig would speed up just to see if I could keep up. The thorns must have taken my cap off a dozen times and I was bleeding here and there again. One time, Craig, the great white ph hung his big ole foot in a forked limb and he almost fell on his face. I turned my head to laugh and looked back at Barb. His face got red and I don't think he thought it was very damn funny. I liked him, he was a good kid. We saw some very nice waterbuck and I would love to have one, maybe next trip. I really felt like I earned an animal this day, but I sure didn't get one. Now we were down to one last day.

A
AFTERUM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
hunting is hard work

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Great Thread, thanks for posting AFTERUM.

I especially liked your description of how the Afrikaans words sounded to your ear, I have been able to work out the actual word in most instances.

Cheers,
Rath

A
AFTERUM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks Rath and I just noticed all thru the thread I spelled it with a "C" instead of a "K" as you correctly have it. It should be "Afrikaans" not "Africaans". My apologies.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Long thread, but enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, thank you for sharing. I can see the benefit of keeping a journal.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Afterrum, nice photos and it's obvious all are having a great time. My apologies for disrupting your thread and being a jackass.

A
AFTERUM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Apology accepted. Thanks Greenhorn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Greenhorn, mighty big of you to apologize to Afterum the way you did.

Did you have any luck in your hunting? I haven't noted any posts.

Last edited by AB2506; 09/08/10.
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Good on 'ya GH...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
AFTERUM, when ya gonna finnish the story. You forgot the last day, and the gemsbokgrin

maddog

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by maddog
AFTERUM, when ya gonna finnish the story. You forgot the last day, and the gemsbokgrin

maddog
Last I heard he went to a football game. Maybe he drank too much alcohol and did not remember the last day in Africa. smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ahh, that could happen....grin

maddog

A
AFTERUM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Just got back from the big easy. My Ole Miss Rebs beat Tulane in the dome but it weren't purty......I will finish my yarn this week...didn't think ya'll would notice......Stoney, re think the .308.....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Stoney, re think the .308.....
I may take the 260rem.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16penny, 1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,886
Posts18,497,845
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.